Accessing SFS formatted Hard drive on PC/WinUAE
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaSC
    Hi

Recently my Peg failed and will probably not be repaired for at least a month so I would like to get access to my files on my hard drive from my PC for the time being.

I have been messing with WinUae which I believe is the only method of achieving the above and managed to get my FFS boot partition on the desktop by adding the hard drive on the hard drive tab in the uae config options,

But the SFS partitions do not appear to the system, anybody have any idea how I get the SFS partitions to show up or if there is any other method.
  • »15.08.04 - 02:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @MaSC

If you have linux installed in your PC or in another box, you can get SFS support by patching the kernel.

If you're interested by this option and don't know how to proceed, send me a private message and I'll be glad to help you.

For others who'd be interested to try by themselves, here's where the patch can be found: http://march.home.staszic.waw.pl/asfs/

Hope it helps!
    Fred

[ Edited by ChatDEau on 2004/8/15 8:30 ]
  • »15.08.04 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    @ChatDEau

It's possible patch the linux kernel 2.6.8 for Pegasos I/II with ASFS ?
  • »15.08.04 - 14:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @timofonic

It is possible to patch any 2.6.x kernel sources to compile on any platform to support ASFS, yes.

Fred
  • »15.08.04 - 14:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Most of the Pegasos linux kernels are already patched for SFS, believe it or not. (At least on Debian.)

mount -t asfs /dev/hdx

where hdx is your partition, should do it. If it fails then you'll need to patch the kernel. I didn't need to either for Pegxlin, or Sven Luther's 2.4.x Debian kernel builds.
  • »16.08.04 - 02:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @MaSC, timofonic & others

Please see this thread where I explained how to patch a 2.6.x kernel for ASFS support:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2675&forum=3

See also dholm comments, as the Pegasos specific kernel 2.6.8.1 is now also available.

Fred

[ Edited by ChatDEau on 2004/8/16 14:04 ]
  • »16.08.04 - 05:57
    Profile Visit Website