Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I said early on in this thread that ARM will scale upwards much easier than x86 will scale downwards. ARM is entering new market segments upwards all the time, wile continuing to rule the low power segments (and soon dawns IOT for real)...

x86 doesn't scale downwards, but ARM doesn't scale upwards. Both have tried to nibble at the territory of the other for ten years now, without success.

I'm still waiting for evidence of where ARM has successfully moved onto the desktop or laptop arenas. Or even game consoles.

Performance wise it's there already, though no (or very few) devices has been made for desktop/laptop markets.

There are much info in this thread, if you care enough to scan through it... ;-)

As I'd said earlier, even the highest end ARM cpu (which no longer has either the advantages of low power and low fan/passive cooling), isn't even in the same ballpark as a four year old i7 -- so much so that there has never been any real point in comparing them. And that isn't even taking any of the chipset advantages into account.

A seven watt CPU from 2016 can't compete with a seventy watt CPU from 2016. It's just physics.

[ Edited by KennyR 05.09.2016 - 02:29 ]
  • »04.09.16 - 23:17