X1000
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    itix,
    Quote:

Looks like MorphOS 3 made them busy.

IMHO, not only the *timing* is "funny", so are the hyped numbers they try to sell us ("where are they getting this number? the email that was sent to me only had (accidentally) around 150 email addresses, not 540" and "this has been confirmed in a comment over at a-news.de"). Also worth noticing is that the status of the next batch of X1000 hasn't really changed (it's still not here), the previous message from March 31st on that very page stated that the next batch was due in Q2, now it is July to the end of 2012, so if *anything*, this is an announcement of yet another *delay*, but not exactly worded as such, right? And in the AW.net thread there are quite a few people reflecting over the "product status" and availability situation of the A1X1K; I guess I'm not the only one having a "sick mind" producing "insane ramblings" and in need of "professional help" and should "see a doctor"...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.06.12 - 08:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I am not concerned about hyped numbers. It still wont generate any more preorders since you have to be subscribed to their mailing list to get an offer to buy.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »12.06.12 - 09:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the hyped numbers they try to sell us

Who are "they"? Who specifically made the "540 email addresses" claim in the first place, rather than just adopting it?
  • »12.06.12 - 10:42
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    I don't know where the numbers came from? Certainly not from me. I can confirm, however, that we received an overwhelming response (again ;-))

As for the timing of the news. I can assure you it has nothing to do with the release of MOS3.0.

TrevorD

Posted from Mac PowerBook running MOS3.0
  • »12.06.12 - 10:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't know where the numbers came from?

Takemehomegrandma seems to know where the 540 number came from originally. I hope he'll enlighten us about who "they" are so the blame for hyping numbers can be put where it belongs.
  • »12.06.12 - 11:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    It's good to see Trevor debunking those numbers as the unrealistic and obvious *false* claims as they were, kudos for that, hopefully this should put an end to those discussions on other sites as well! Anyway, sending an e-mail does not cost you $3,000+, it will be interesting to see how many of those ~150 people who are actually prepared to go ahead, and how many registered only to get some more info. Since the "Registering Interest" opened in March, a lot has happened. Much more info has reached the public about its actual performance, as well as the OS4 support. Pre-order now, and maybe get a delivery at the end of 2012 (or maybe not?). That is practically three years (by some definitions a whole computer generation) since the X1000 was announced, and at that time it was based at technology and performance already 3-5 years old. "The power of X" can flash LED's, and the promised SMP is nowhere to be seen. But at least the wait for that should be over soon, OS4.2 is the next version to be released, right? Based on this, is ~20% of 150 (~30 customers) a realistic expectation? Too many, too few? That could mean ~$100,000 and a *considerable* relative growth of the X1000 platform. This could perhaps be considered quite a good turnout, depending on you expectations of where the X1000 could take the OS4 platform of course. I guess we might know in just another half a year from now? And although denied, I *still* think it's "funny" that it suddenly became so *urgent* to "announce" the next batch of X1000 only a day or so (about as long as it takes to coordinate a web page update, put together a "PR" and a mailing list while having a daytime job I suppose) after MorphOS 3.0 release, when you at the same say that it might take as long as *6 months* until you can actually deliver a product! Of course it doesn't matter in practice (there is clearly a limit on what impact a $3,000 system with 2005 level performance will have), but it's "peculiar" nevertheless, and it follows the same pattern as we have seen before...
  • »12.06.12 - 12:49
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    Actually, to be totally accurate, I neither confirmed or denied the numbers I just said they did not come from me.

With regards to the next A1-X1000 production run, it was announced a while ago (11th March). The boards are already in manufacture, have been paid for and are nearing completion. As a result AmigaKit are now taking firm pre-orders.

If you want to believe the timing of the annoucement is in anyway related to the MOS3.0 release that is your preogative. However, I can assure you its not.

TrevorD
  • »12.06.12 - 14:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's good to see Trevor debunking those numbers as the unrealistic
    > and obvious *false* claims as they were

The question as to who "they" are who attempted to "try to sell us" the 540 number is still unanswered. Don't you want to reveal it by now please? I'm eager to know as well.

> a day or so

More like 3 days (8th vs. 11th).

> when you at the same say that it might take as long as *6 months*
    > until you can actually deliver a product!

As far as I have understood the announcement, delivery of the second batch to end customers is supposed to start in July, and it might take as much as 6 months for the *last* unit to ship, not for the first.

> 2005 level performance

I still think it's more like 2007.
  • »12.06.12 - 14:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @TrevorDick

OK then, I'll take your word for it! :-) It doesn't matter anyway...

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 12.06.2012 - 14:40 ]
  • »12.06.12 - 14:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Wasnt it Senex?
  • »12.06.12 - 14:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The boards are already in manufacture, have been paid for and are
    > nearing completion.

Does that mean that a certain X1000 betatester's claim that the Nemo boards for the second batch are readily produced and being shelved at AmigaKit since the beginning of May is false?
  • »12.06.12 - 14:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Wasnt it Senex?

I don't know. If he was, then I wonder why he would want to "try to sell us" hyped numbers (as takemehomegrandma put it). And I wonder why takemehomegrandma would refer to Senex as "they".
  • »12.06.12 - 15:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Ah, I see what you mean there. Anyway, best luck to them.
  • »12.06.12 - 16:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Am I the only one wondering why we have a 39 page long thread about X1000 here on MorphZone.org that has constantly been bumped since June 2010? Isn't that kind of hilarious, if you think about it? And there is one about the Sam 460 as well! Neither of these has *any relevance to MorphOS whatsoever*, that was made crystal clear very early on in both of these threads, so isn't it about time we have them locked and passed on into history?

Please?

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 12.06.2012 - 17:30 ]
  • »12.06.12 - 17:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Isn't that kind of hilarious, if you think about it? [...] Neither
    > of these has *any relevance to MorphOS whatsoever*, that was made
    > crystal clear very early on in both of these threads, so isn't it
    > about time we have them locked and passed on into history?

I think one of the MorphOS Team members expressed it well:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=417

:-)
  • »12.06.12 - 17:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Sam 460 and X1000 is better being discussed at AW.net or amigans.net. There is the audience, it's of zero relevance here.

PLEASE moderators, lock these threads, and let us focus on MorphOS instead!

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 12.06.2012 - 18:10 ]
  • »12.06.12 - 18:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @itix

Quote:

Wasnt it Senex?

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-06-00032-EN.html

Quote:

Presumably unintended, the way of sending the e-mail also disclosed that in addition to purchasers of the first batch, there seem to be at least 540 users currently interested in also buying an AmigaOne X1000.

Dunno. Does snx mean that Martin is the author, or was this translated/interpreted incorrectly? *shrug*

• »12.06.12 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Sam 460 and X1000 is better being discussed at AW.net or amigans.net. [...]
    > PLEASE moderators, lock these threads

Aren't those by chance the sites you occassionally have accused of unnecessarily locking threads now and then? Interesting turn of events I must say. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

> it's of zero relevance here.

The threads you're asking to be locked are in the same forum category as that one:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8100&forum=3

> let us focus on MorphOS instead!

Then practice what you preach. There's a multitude of MorphOS threads going on in here where you can participate in.
  • »12.06.12 - 19:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does snx mean that Martin is the author, or was this translated/interpreted incorrectly?

Senex is the author of both the German and English versions of that news item. However, how he arrived at the 540 figure is unclear to me as of yet. I'm hoping for a clarification from his side.
    And unfortunately, it seems like takemehomegrandma doesn't want to share his knowledge with us.
  • »12.06.12 - 19:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @Andreas_Wolf

Quote:

And unfortunately, it seems like takemehomegrandma doesn't want to share his knowledge with us.

Sadly, begging you to lock the thread sounds like he doesn't want anyone else sharing -their- knowledge either.

[ Edited by number6 12.06.2012 - 13:42 ]
  • »12.06.12 - 19:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > begging you to lock the thread

Me? Guess I should make proper use of my new moderator powers then ;-)
  • »12.06.12 - 20:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I fail to see why any topic in the "general forum" should be closed as long as it doesn't violate the rules inhere ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »12.06.12 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Me? Guess I should make proper use of my new moderator powers then ;-)

Bah, I never looked for a title associated with your nick. I just noticed how you tend to keep the site on track and I drew the wrong conclusion. My mistake for paying attention to your posting content instead of your lack of title.

• »12.06.12 - 20:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Aren't those by chance the sites you occassionally have accused of unnecessarily locking threads now and then? Interesting turn of events I must say. Hypocrisy comes to mind.

Are you really this thick, or are you just pretending? Your fetish for constantly bumping these two threads here on MorphZone is truly obsessive, almost worse than your link-fetish, I can't be the only one thinking so. I don't think anyone minds some off-topic discussions once in a while, *I* certainly don't, but this has been going on for *two years* for christ sake! Every time I come to MorphZone I see either the Sam 460 thread, the X1000 thread, or both, that's something you don't even see on AW.net! IMHO this wouldn't be "unnecessary moderation" at all, it would merely be an overdue cleanup! Very little of relevance to MorphOS, if indeed anything at all, would be lost.

@number6

I think you (purposly?) misunderstood me. I have very much to say about both the X1000 and OS4, and trust me, I *will* continue to speak my mind about those wherever the discussions takes place, and I expect everyone else to do it as well, but I don't think it's of any relevance here whatsoever since neither the X1000, nor the Sam460, nor OS4, will ever be of *any* relevance for MorphOS (or indeed, never of any relevance *period*)! If you tried to imply that what I said was about *censorship*, i.e. that I would want to "prevent the truth about X1000 to come out", then you're just too funny... :lol: :-)
  • »12.06.12 - 21:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    takemehomegrandma,
    Quote:

Am I the only one wondering why we have a 39 page long thread about X1000 here on MorphZone.org that has constantly been bumped since June 2010? Isn't that kind of hilarious, if you think about it? And there is one about the Sam 460 as well! Neither of these has *any relevance to MorphOS whatsoever*, that was made crystal clear very early on in both of these threads, so isn't it about time we have them locked and passed on into history?

Please?

I have no problem with it here, just speaking for myself. I'd rather Morphzone not go the Amigans.net route and tightly limit discussion. Besides, MorphOS is the clear winner of all the Amiga-like choices so I have no fears of X1000/OS4 taking over. Only locking and moderating I like is pure trolls.
  • »12.06.12 - 21:34