X1000
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    @mos developers
    if that t-dick bloke were to supply an x1000 would you consider porting mos to the machine.

or would that just be a no no ?...

(i did read in a ami org forum, that the dick bloke would be up for it been porting over)
    i know people say about the price of it, but how much was the amigaone and peg boards new
  • »23.06.10 - 01:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Personally, I'd rather buy a G5 Powermac.

Who knows how long A-eon's going to be able to get PA6T processors and the system costs too much.

A G5 would be much cheaper.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/6/23 5:19 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.06.10 - 03:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    The MorphOS team has said it will *never* happen.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.06.10 - 05:41
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    @jim

i have a G5 2.5 sat in loft, i found it loud in use, but is a fast machine
    personaly i would like to see mos on the x1000 it would give os4 user a opportunity to try mos like amigaone & peg os4 users
    and would be phunny if mos was to run faster than os4 on X

but yeah it does cost, but when new how much were amigaone & peg machine/boards..i missed out as i didnt have the money when amigaone came out and when i did have the money they had stopped making them, had to make do wi an efika that i found tooo slow, mcmini is nice, but would like oportunity to run both without having another machine plus are lass would kill me, but she would be ok with me changing one for another..but thats just me i assume(wanting to run both)...
  • »23.06.10 - 06:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ Rajinder

Better forget it.
  • »23.06.10 - 07:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Rajinder wrote:

i would like to see mos on the x1000 it would give os4 user a opportunity to try

There's something much, much more important that money: Have you considered the HUUUUUGE amount of job required to port MorphOS to another computer? Then, add up that the computer doesn't exist yet, will probably cease to exist in the future, and will be bloody expensive.

Just for a dozen (at most) of Amiga fans to "try"?
  • »23.06.10 - 07:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > it would give os4 user a opportunity to try mos like amigaone [...] users

Huh?

> when new how much were amigaone & peg machine/boards

Not nearly as much as the X1000.
  • »23.06.10 - 08:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > add up that the computer doesn't exist yet

I think that Rajinder refers to Dickinson sending the MorphOS Team a bare Rev2 Nemo board.

> will probably cease to exist in the future

You mean that the X1000s that will be sold (let's see how many) will blow up all at once? ;-)
  • »23.06.10 - 08:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

There's something much, much more important that money: Have you considered the HUUUUUGE amount of job required to port MorphOS to another computer? Then, add up that the computer doesn't exist yet, will probably cease to exist in the future, and will be bloody expensive.

so what's the future for morphos ? powermacs ? that's cheap but how long will they hold, they are old machines already. Powerbooks ? same, even more fragile machines.
    It shouldn't be so much work if both teams (mos/os4) could collaborate on the low level stuff, drivers etc. But yes, it's a dead end in the context.
    I personally sold my MorphOS machines and stopped using the OS cause i don't see anything positive coming withing the next 2/3 years on this side. I don't want an old dusty and noisy apple tower in my house and i don't want to keep complaining and cope with the frustration. I'll keep an eye on morphos but without much hope. At least until it works on a VM or some decent mordern hardware/architecture.

I'll have a look on the x1000 when it's released. It's expensive but it has a bit more of a future, even if i never really liked OS4.
  • »23.06.10 - 08:50
  • ASiegel
    @ Rajinder

Quote:

i know people say about the price of it, but how much was the amigaone and peg boards new

Genesi was selling the Pegasos2-based Open Desktop Workstation for 799 USD. In British pound with an additional 20% VAT, that price would equal 650 GBP.

Link: http://www.genesi-usa.com/press/2005/6/8/

Various third party resellers built their own Pegasos2-based systems. Sunbeam Business Solutions was selling G3 and G4 machines for 699 and 999 EUR respectively (incl. 16% VAT). In British pound, those prices would equal roughly 600 and 800 GBP.

So, either way, prices for complete and brand new Pegasos systems were far, far south from Aeon's current "north of 1500 GBP" price estimate.
  • »23.06.10 - 09:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ SoundSquare

Compared to 2nd hand Macs, the X1000 is a even more a dead end: it'll be produced in small quantities (tiny compared to the Macs) and the amount of spare parts / boards will quickly run out after the production is finished. 5 years after last PPC machines were produced by Apple they're still easy to get. 4 years after bPlan ceased producing Pegasos 2 boards they are very hard to get now (although still repairable!) - and nobody will make me believe that A-Eon will sell more boards than bPlan did at the ridiculous price. Therefore 5 years from now, the PPC Macs will still be on the market, while X1000 will be very hard to come by IMHO (assuming they'll enter end-user production at all or won't have hardware issues that'd make the boards unusable 5 years from now - hard to judge the quality if no end-user boards are available).
  • »23.06.10 - 09:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 5 years after last PPC machines were produced by Apple

PowerMac G5 was superseded by the Mac Pro in August 2006. That's just 4 years ago :-)
  • »23.06.10 - 10:05
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @Soundsquare

Mac Minis are both silent and fast, I prefer enjoying them now instead of waiting forever for vapourware.
  • »23.06.10 - 10:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    Hmmmm.... let's get some back of the envelope calculations.

I'm just guessing but it would probably take XXXX man hours to port MOS to X1000, platform which would achieve only XXX unit sales of which perhaps XX users maybe interested in MOS. I don't see this working out for the MOS Team - it's simply not worth the effort and would distract from developing MOS further.

Apart from the fact that X1000 sales will be tied to OS4 and it is highly unlikely somone could buy X1000 without paying for OS4 licence, implicitly or explicitly. It's a shame all that hardware sitting in X1000 not being utilised to full potential. It's like buying a Ferrari to commute to work at 60 kmh :-) Hey, but one can brag about what's in the box.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

[ Edited by insurgent on 2010/6/24 1:02 ]
    Registered MOS 2.7 + Pack Ultimate 1.6.2 running on:
    Power Mac G4 FW800 1.42GHz 2GB / Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB / SB Live! / NEC USB 2.0 / SuperDrive
    Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz 1GB / 64MB VRAM / SuperDrive
    Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 1920x1200
    PowerBook G4 ready :-)
  • »23.06.10 - 10:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Mac Minis are both silent and fast, I prefer enjoying them now instead of waiting forever for vapourware.

they were fast 4/5 years ago yes.
  • »23.06.10 - 11:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    I think that Rajinder refers to Dickinson sending the MorphOS Team a bare Rev2 Nemo board.

Man, I'm surprised they got that. But how were they supposed to assemble it and where do you get a PA6T from?
  • »23.06.10 - 11:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Quote:

will probably cease to exist in the future

You mean that the X1000s that will be sold will blow up all at once?

Yes. All the four or five of them. ;-)

Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:

I personally sold my MorphOS machines and stopped using the OS

But you just can't help but think MorphOS is a very cool system. Yessss... Once bitten... Also, it would be very surprising if you were still using the OS after selling your MorphOS machines :-D

Quote:

it has a bit more of a future

Well, MorphOS has a present. OK, enough fanboy talk for now...

Quote:

Quote:

Mac Minis are both silent and fast.

Well, they are very fine computers. Which everyday task, under MorphOS, requires more processing power?

But yes, I'd love having a spanking new exclusive computer for my favourite operating system. Only that it's not a good idea, simple as that.

(wow, no mention of "x86" since long in this debate, interesting!)
  • »23.06.10 - 11:34
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Quote:

Actually, they are surprisingly competitive with today's Atom-based entry-level laptops and desktop machines, of which millions of units are being sold per year (in the saturated Western world, mind you).

Try playing HD videos on an Atom-based system (without special decoder chips) and then do the same on a Mac Mini running MorphOS...
  • »23.06.10 - 11:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    (wow, no mention of "x86" since long in this debate, interesting!)

Thank god for that. Is there a reason so many keep pushing for another AROS?
  • »23.06.10 - 11:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I think that Rajinder refers to Dickinson sending the MorphOS Team
    >> a bare Rev2 Nemo board.

> I'm surprised they got that. But how were they supposed to assemble it
    > and where do you get a PA6T from?

Hehe, funny :-) With "bare board" I don't mean "non-assembled board", but "assembled board without the things that make the difference between Nemo and the X1000, i.e. case, keyboard, mouse, HDD, optical drive, gfx card ...and OS4".
    And it's not that they already got that. I just wanted to clarify that the MorphOS team wouldn't necessarily need the X1000 for porting MorphOS. The Nemo board would be enough.
  • »23.06.10 - 12:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > All the four or five of them.

Dickinson told at VCF that they had already more than 150 betatester applicants.
  • »23.06.10 - 13:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Honestly I desperately hope that this X1000 won't ever be supported. If I ever wish to see Quake running in 4fps on a way-too-expensive hardware, then I prefer a 68060 or 68040 Amiga...
  • »23.06.10 - 13:12
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Rajinder
    well it looks like i will have to stick with my mcmini for now.

when are lass isnt looking i might just look for a amigaone g4 machine
  • »23.06.10 - 13:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Actually, they are surprisingly competitive with today's Atom-based entry-level laptops and desktop machines, of which millions of units are being sold per year (in the saturated Western world, mind you)

competitive with entry level... what does it doesn't make me dream the way the amiga was used to make me dream ? : )
    and by the way, macminis uses more power than an atom machine... really not worth it.
  • »23.06.10 - 14:25
    Golem
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    really not worth it.

Do tell, what would make it worth it to you?
  • »23.06.10 - 15:36
    Profile Visit Website