Cloanto sues Hyperion
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    Well of course since it doesn't meet your expectations and Kenny's then it has no value, right?
    I am beginning to remember why I walked away from the Amiga scene years ago. This "community" continues to bash anything and everything that doesn't fit their tiny little view of the world.

Amiga34 had 800 visitors and Amiwest typically has around 50, so clearly your view of the world is the one that needs adjusting.

You can't argue with visitor number disparities like that, so just don't.
  • »28.10.19 - 17:30
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    So exactly what is the number required to make it "Worthwhile" to the O great Kenny?
    I mean you clearly must be the expert in all things Amiga, right?

And I suppose you feel that everyone World-Wide should drop everything and fly to the other side of the world or just not attend anything, right?

GENIUS!

I have found the REAL reason Amiga Land is nearly dead.
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »28.10.19 - 17:37
    KennyR
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    So exactly what is the number required to make it "Worthwhile" to the O great Kenny?
    I mean you clearly must be the expert in all things Amiga, right?

And I suppose you feel that everyone World-Wide should drop everything and fly to the other side of the world or just not attend anything, right?

GENIUS!

I have found the REAL reason Amiga Land is nearly dead.

The reason loads of people went to Amiga34 is because it demoed new hardware, namely the Vampire. The reason hardly anyone went to AmiWest is because Trevor's powerpoints are the exact same bullshit that we've been reading since 2009. They're like boring holiday snaps, except they're a holiday he's planning to go to, and has been for a decade...

The real reason Amiga Land is nearly dead is because people are sick of listening to empty promises and bullshit while near-penniless companies squat on IP and stop anyone else with money, imagination or energy from doing anything with it.

I hear the Checkmate case has been cancelled. That wasn't because people said nasty things about it in forums. That's because an actual doer is being sat upon by the same old bullshitters who don't want to see anything new in Amiga land unless it's theirs, but are too mired in corruption or legal scandals to do anything themselves.
  • »28.10.19 - 17:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

outlawal2 wrote:
    Well of course since it doesn't meet your expectations and Kenny's then it has no value, right?
    I am beginning to remember why I walked away from the Amiga scene years ago. This "community" continues to bash anything and everything that doesn't fit their tiny little view of the world.

You really do need to read that definition of irony and process what it means. My response was calm and fairly measured. Your responses? Not so much.

Quote:

As if this community wasn't tiny enough, now folks like you bash what little life left there is in Amiga World.

Bash? You must be looking in a mirror. By the way, what community are you talking about? You do know you are posting on a MorphOS site, right? If you are talking about the Kommunity, most of us left that a decade or so ago. You are perfectly welcome to love Amiwest and/or OS4 related projects, just don't get so butthurt if many of us in the MorphOS community aren't interested. Speaking for myself I have branched off into many other platforms and their respective communities. My hobby time is more than saturated.

Quote:

And for the record I appreciate the fact that someone tries to put an event on in the USA because there are many of us here in the US that can't make it to Germany or the UK for a hobby.

Clearly you live on the left coast of the US. For me down here in South Florida, the cost of attending Amiwest is about the same as attending a UK event.

If it is just about attending a US event, come on down to the one we will be doing in Florida.

Quote:

But I am all too aware that you and Kenny don't care about anything other than your own opinions and will try to bury the Amiga community completely.

You are both doing a fine job of it too..

Again, you do know you are on a MorphOS site, right? This is the MorphOS community. MorphOS is not OS4.

[ Edited by redrumloa 28.10.2019 - 19:43 ]
  • »28.10.19 - 18:11
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »28.10.19 - 18:20
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

I hear the Checkmate case has been cancelled. That wasn't because people said nasty things about it in forums. That's because an actual doer is being sat upon by the same old bullshitters who don't want to see anything new in Amiga land unless it's theirs, but are too mired in corruption or legal scandals to do anything themselves.

This is not exactly correct. The initiator still plans to ship a total of 500 cases, which might be enough to saturate the market in fact.

Apparently, the project is not lucrative enough to outsource the final assembly and shipping of the cases but the project founder has found it challenging to handle this all by himself in addition to his day job and other obligations so he currently has no plans to produce and sell additional batches. He did mention the idea to give up his day job and work on it full-time (!) but he is unwilling to do so while the A*(TM)(R) situation is as it is.

I do not think it is unfair to say that it is uncertain whether giving up a day job for this project would be a good idea regardless of any on-going legal disputes.
  • »29.10.19 - 06:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

This is not exactly correct. The initiator still plans to ship a total of 500 cases, which might be enough to saturate the market in fact.

Apparently, the project is not lucrative enough to outsource the final assembly and shipping of the cases but the project founder has found it challenging to handle this all by himself in addition to his day job and other obligations so he currently has no plans to produce and sell additional batches. He did mention the idea to give up his day job and work on it full-time (!) but he is unwilling to do so while the A*(TM)(R) situation is as it is.

I do not think it is unfair to say that it is uncertain whether giving up a day job for this project would be a good idea regardless of any on-going legal disputes.

I think you've posted a fair portrayal of the situation.
    However, in Stephen Jones' post A34 video there is much more:
    Source
    Quote:

Secret meetings 11:50

and starting at about 34:00 (section on the future, where the same subjects are brought up again)

In Addition, the video from A34 of Mike's speech clearly illustrates another 3rd party (Philippe Lang) basically taking over the presentation on stage to make a similar point.
    Source at about 17:50
    And then there's Jens...
    In short, this is not just coming from one party and it sure seems that people trying to push for resolution here all have vested self interests. I hope they don't think they are mediating...

What happened since A34?
    Once AmiWest uploads Mike's speech and q/a you're free to draw any conclusion you wish.

• »29.10.19 - 13:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    near-penniless companies squat on IP and stop anyone else with money, imagination or energy from doing

2009 agreement allows amiga inc to use Amiga Os 3.1 as long as gui is not exposed to end user for games only.
    It is big part of amiga market.
    Instead of making money they try to cheat H first with cusa next with mr batalia.
    mr batalia that buy a inc can make money on 68k in fpga but he choose to waste money on trial.

[ Edited by ppcamiga1 29.10.2019 - 14:51 ]
  • »29.10.19 - 14:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>> What I find surprising is that GART support would fall in the domain of ExecSG.
    >> I would have located this within the graphics framework.

> Mystery resolved. kas1e, who managed to watch all 2 hours, explains that
    > what the ExecSG team lead calls GART is not real GART but the usual kernel DMA
    > that's been implemented on the X1000 for ages but is still missing on the X5000.

Wiki page up: https://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/DMA_Engine

The misleading GART term is not mentioned therein.
  • »10.11.19 - 16:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> As I do not see Mike specifically mentioned on the
    show schedule
    >> This could mean at the banquet, in private, or almost anything atm.

> Meanwhile, Battilana's Amiga 34 presentation:
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUD7y5mpTao

...and AmiWest 2019 speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHSwdFtQ5Mk

I've been *cough* waiting for this.
    Clearly the highlight is at the 24 minute mark, when former OS4 team lead Steven Solie asks a question about a Hyperion copyright claim.

• »13.11.19 - 19:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @number6

Yeah, but Hyperion's perception of Copyright is *notoriously* flawed, and as Mike answers, this is nothing new and is already part of a court case.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.11.19 - 23:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @number6

Yeah, but Hyperion's perception of Copyright is *notoriously* flawed, and as Mike answers, this is nothing new and is already part of a court case.

What is new is former HYPErion employee Steve Solie throwing serious shade at Hermans.
  • »14.11.19 - 00:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ redrumloa

True that, in some way at least, but ssolie's separation from Hyperion has already been covered at AW.net in pretty exploratory detail. Obviously some grudge there. Not the only OS4 developer feeling that way, I'd say from what has been publicly communicated during the last decade or two.

As a follow-up question, who did *actually write* that Copyright statement (as in: who did actually punch the keys at the keyboard), and for what reason? Now, that's fuel for a debate in its own... ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.11.19 - 00:28
  • vox
    vox
    As former OS 4.1 user and Nemo(a1x1000) owner, I did find AEONS promises false.
    In 7 years Timberwolf was closest to release, while OS 4.2 and Libre are still considered
    to be vapor, with some bone thrown ocassionaly at AmiWest. Warp3D for cards SAM460ex and X1000 were shipped also wasnt done and we had to move to new cards just to buy OS 4.1FE and Enhancer, less then what is promised and prepaid for OS 4.2 that was supposed to ship with x1000.

Not only lack of these is crucial for NG failure at all (and x1000 as example), similar practice of beta OS release with no full driver support continued with x5000 and now Tabor.

I am glad there is someone that can challenge Hype and I hope clear situation will be a result. Cloantos plans of OS 3.1 open source and OS 3+ advanced seems way clearer then current mess state of glued OS 4.1.8+Enhancer 1.x or OS 3.2. In my impression, Hype and AEON are experts only in slow milking with products that have least enhancement possible.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »14.11.19 - 08:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > former HYPErion employee Steve Solie

He never was employed there and wasn't paid. Even of those few who ever got paid, almost no one was employed there.
  • »14.11.19 - 10:24
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    amigakit
    @vox

I cannot speak about Hyperion because we are separate companies and not affiliated to Hyperion company in any way. I would ask you not conflate the two entities together as they are in sole charge of OS4 development and we have no responsibility for that. Our main project is the Enhancer Software which we use to supplement any missing software features that our customers expect and demand when purchasing an X5000 system.

From my perspective of managing the Enhancer Software project and Amiga Developer Team, we have made incredible progress over the last few years in terms of development. Warp3D Nova, OpenGL ES 2.0 and RadeonRX drivers are a few good examples of major development sub-projects spanning over a year of work. They form important structure of the complete Enhancer Software which is growing steadily.

We have not rested, and there are some major new components added to the forthcoming Enhancer Software 2.0.

It should go on record that we have had invaluable help from Frank and Mark in providing complete driver support for the X5000. They have been both helpful and understanding to needs of our projects and it is much appreciated.
    www.amigakit.com - Amiga store
  • »14.11.19 - 10:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we have had invaluable help from Frank and Mark in
    > providing complete driver support for the X5000.

You reported that Mark wrote A-Eon's driver for the QorIQ P5's GbE controller. Are you allowed to tell which driver Frank has written or contributed to?
  • »14.11.19 - 11:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @thread

Would appreciate hearing any opinions on this.
    Background:
    Last court document October 8, 2019 from the "contract" case
    As it makes mention of the "trademark" case (by speaking of C-A Acquisitions Corp.), and given both case were basically pushed back because the court believed settlement was the likely outcome by end of year...
    Why then on November 6, 2019 was there a motion filed for default by C-A Acquistions Corp./Cloanto?

Source

• »14.11.19 - 14:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

He never was employed there and wasn't paid. Even of those few who ever got paid, almost no one was employed there.

Of course he wasn't paid, that goes without saying with HYPE. We all know he was not employed in the legal sense. However, when someone uses/used a title of "AmigaOS Development Team Lead", people are going to think of as an employee of HYPE. You could say (unpaid) contractor, but regular contractors are still considered employees (here in the states at least).
  • »14.11.19 - 19:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > he was not employed in the legal sense. [...] You could say (unpaid) contractor,
    > but regular contractors are still considered employees (here in the states at least).

More like an independent contractor, which is not considered an employee even in the US. Besides, US law certainly doesn't apply if a Canadian contractor works for a Belgian company :-)
  • »14.11.19 - 20:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

More like an independent contractor, which is not considered an employee even in the US.

No, in the states we do have a term called Contract Employee That's something I'm familiar with in the industry I work in.

Quote:

Besides, US law certainly doesn't apply if a Canadian contractor works for a Belgian company :-)

That is obviously very true :-p

[ Edited by redrumloa 15.11.2019 - 07:44 ]
  • »15.11.19 - 12:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> More like an independent contractor, which is not considered
    >> an employee even in the US.

> No, in the states we do have a term called Contract Employee

Your link says that "contract employee" and "independent contractor" are just different names for the very same thing. And Wikipedia as well as the IRS say that independent contractors and employees are different things. Go figure.
  • »15.11.19 - 13:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Your link says that "contract employee" and "independent contractor" are just different names for the very same thing. And Wikipedia as well as the IRS say that independent contractors and employees are different things. Go figure.

Yup.

When dealing with government agencies you often cannot tell the difference between a contractor and employee. It gets muddy. I've interacted with "contracting officers" in the GSA that have been there for years, or even decades. Their email signature line will say contracting officer and GSA, but they are technically contractors if you dig a bit. (don't confuse "contracting" with "contractor" here)

[ Edited by redrumloa 15.11.2019 - 08:38 ]
  • »15.11.19 - 13:37
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

amigakit wrote:

It should go on record that we have had invaluable help from Frank and Mark in providing complete driver support for the X5000. They have been both helpful and understanding to needs of our projects and it is much appreciated.

Nice for Cyrus users, dual core enabled OS is last thing.

When your x1000 customers can expect ethernet driver and CFE bugfix/Rx enabler?

Also, seems Trevor mentioned somewhere possible MOS for x1000. True or just imagination?

[ Edited by vox 16.11.2019 - 07:41 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »16.11.19 - 06:39