• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Sources on the number of sales of 3.1.4 are muddled. I've heard 1000, but I don't believe it. Many of the big retro channels on Youtube are running on it, and they have hundreds of thousands of views.

Amiga 68k retro is, as red pointed out, hot stuff at the moment. 3.1.4 is shaping to be the most popular software product in Amigaland since the late 90s, because (legal issues aside) everyone can use it - it isn't tied to a hardware dongle, even just cheap ones like MorphOS was and is. You can run 3.1.4 on everything from WinUAE on an i7 desktop to a classic Amiga, to a Vampire or ACA500, to UAE on a Rasperry Pi. And it's hardware requirements are lower than 3.9, given you don't even need a CD drive or a 68020+ CPU.

30,000 sales overall wouldn't be too hard to imagine, and assuming no overheads and knowing that no developers were paid, that's around the same half a million in profit that Amiga Inc just spent. Not enough to get Hyperion out of debt, but enough to waken up every patent troll and legal Amiga licencee alike from one side of the world to the other.
  • »28.10.18 - 20:48