Tabor
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not sure I'm clear on this either.

Is the driver Aeon is waiting on, the driver they originally contract with Mincea for, or the driver which Mincea now claims is ready (that would appear to have been created by a subcontractor), or for the purpose of fulfilling the contract does the later subsume/replace the earlier?

Assuming that when Mincea's driver development was discontinued, a sub was hired to fulfill the contract, this is the clearest understanding I can come to from this jumbled description of events.

That the latest driver (again, supposedly ready) is a substitute for the earlier project.

And that regardless of Hyperion's position, Aeon wanted to get a driver in the hands of their beta testers NOW and paid for a second (which could, in a weird way, be considered the third).

It may be difficult to keep this simple, but I'll give it a go.
    Start with what -was- released with enhancer V1.4:

A1222 ethernet device v1.2 (added) - Rene
    USBADM8511 device v53.11 (added) - Rene
    X5000 ethernet device v52.6 (added) - Mark/Frank

Reason: "The most important thing is the end-users (our customers) have a working, high quality driver and do not have to wait any longer."

2015 (my link) is the talk of contract for 2 of the above and X1000. Forget those from the standpoint of Costel doing them. afaik, the following would describe their reassignment:

X1000: consider that abandoned until someone says otherwise. It has been plainly admitted that it is low priority for Hyperion.
    A1222 and X5000 were contracted out by Hyperion.

Ergo, the only question remaining is about these last 2. I know of no status and I've read no posts about them in public. If you have, that would be new information imo.

@Amigakit

If I have somehow misrepresented the current situation, please correct me.

• »11.09.18 - 21:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is the driver Aeon is waiting on, the driver they originally contract with Mincea for,
    > or the driver which Mincea now claims is ready

I guess amigakit was referring to the latter. And I don't think they are really waiting on these drivers now that the Olsens have delivered ;-)
  • »11.09.18 - 21:46
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    amigakit
    @number6

Your summary reads OK.

Quote:

Ergo, the only question remaining is about these last 2. I know of no status and I've read no posts about them in public. If you have, that would be new information imo.

We have received no official information from Hyperion on status, progress or any possible release date of these.

@Andreas_Wolf

After three years of waiting, I have received a lot of feedback over the last two days from X5000 end-users who seem very pleased with the new driver on the Enhancer Software 1.4 developed by Mark. This driver is the official A-EON driver for the A-EON X5000 hardware.

[ Edited by amigakit 11.09.2018 - 22:58 ]
    www.amigakit.com - Amiga store
  • »11.09.18 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have received a lot of feedback over the last two days from
    > X5000 end-users who seem very pleased with the new driver on
    > the Enhancer Software 1.4 developed by Mark. This driver is
    > the official A-EON driver for the A-EON X5000 hardware.

Is my assumption correct that Mark reserves the right to release the MorphOS version of the driver as he sees fit?
  • »11.09.18 - 22:23
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

number6 wrote:
    X1000: consider that abandoned until someone says otherwise. It has been plainly admitted that it is low priority for Hyperion.
    A1222 and X5000 were contracted out by Hyperion.

I claim this for couple years:No CFE fixes, constant charges for video driver development, no one to pick up and fix x1000.ethernet device, no signs of OS4 "multicore support" aka OS 4.2, prepaid by x1000 users, promised to them in manual while OS 4.1 is "temporary stop gap".

From OS4 POV:half done, half unusable hardware.

Quote:

amigakit wrote:
    @Andreas_Wolf

After three years of waiting, I have received a lot of feedback over the last two days from X5000 end-users who seem very pleased with the new driver on the Enhancer Software 1.4 developed by Mark. This driver is the official A-EON driver for the A-EON X5000 hardware.

That is just great, I am eager to hear how was the x1000 users feedback on CFE
    and "our drivers" and Linux support incl. mine (Vojin Vidanovic, probably only user that has terminated 2000+ GBP account at your services)

[ Edited by vox 12.09.2018 - 07:26 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »12.09.18 - 05:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > A1222 and X5000 were contracted out by Hyperion. [...] the only question
    > remaining is about these last 2. I know of no status and I've read no posts
    > about them in public. If you have, that would be new information imo.

May or may not be connected:

"Ethernet driver development explained including a new framework. (Jamie Krueger)"
    http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmiWest_2018_DevCon
  • »16.09.18 - 18:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > A1222 and X5000 were contracted out by Hyperion. [...] the only question
    > remaining is about these last 2. I know of no status and I've read no posts
    > about them in public. If you have, that would be new information imo.

May or may not be connected:

"Ethernet driver development explained including a new framework. (Jamie Krueger)"

And reference post #97 this thread as well.

• »16.09.18 - 20:00
    Kronos
    Don‘t see any connection, just a hint that the boards should be released by May....

[ Edited by Kronos 24.09.2018 - 14:05 ]
  • »24.09.18 - 07:46
    KennyR
    If Tabor doesn't get the required driver support then I'm sure Tabor mk.2 will be close on its heels. You can always keep buying new hardware, right?
  • »24.09.18 - 11:41
    Kronos
    If that came with a non retarded SoC I'm all for it !!!!
  • »24.09.18 - 12:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    If that came with a non retarded SoC I'm all for it !!!!

Scrap Tabor in favor of a based T10XX board and I'm all for of it.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.09.18 - 13:57
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

This is just great. You can fly US, get charged for hotel and everything, and learn
    how to do OS4 driver from guy which has been delaying it for couple of years and supplied OS4 CDs with half usable drivers or OS41FE x1000, unusable ethernet.device (while in this peculiar case, job was "oursourced")

Plus you get to hear him laughing and promising and ditching hard questions to future.

P.S.
    Out of 40% funds neeeded in next 8 days, Trevor did purchase one case (~200$). Its up to community now to decide!

[ Edited by vox 24.09.2018 - 22:05 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »24.09.18 - 20:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

This is just great. You can fly US, get charged for hotel and everything, and learn
    how to do OS4 driver from guy which has been delaying it for couple of years and supplied OS4 CDs with half usable drivers or OS41FE x1000, unusable ethernet.device (while in this peculiar case, job was "oursourced")

Plus you get to hear him laughing and promising and ditching hard questions to future.

P.S.
    Out of 40% funds neeeded in next 8 days, Trevor did purchase one case (~200$). Its up to community now to decide!

I can tell by your post that you are upset, but your wording makes this sound like Jamie "delayed it for couple of years" and Jamie "supplied OS4 CDs with half usable drivers".
    This is simply not true. Please see my post #151 above for brief history and Amigakit's confirmation.

It is possible that a more complete account of events will be offered at AmiWest 2018.

[ Edited by number6 25.09.2018 - 10:16 ]
  • »25.09.18 - 14:05
  • vox
    vox
    I am speaking of much longer history of unfinished SAM460ex DMA driver, x1000 ethernet.device, SMP, and surely current x5000 and Tabor buggy ones. Only complete
    driver solutions were for A1 XE and SAM440.

At other hand, how poorly other community projects are supported, like Checkmate.

Last and not least, AmiWest has turned to "promises,laughs, promises".Simple comparison of announcements and what has been done is a proof of "quality".
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »26.09.18 - 19:39
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    At other hand, how poorly other community projects are supported, like Checkmate.

You have got to be kidding.

Checkmate is a project that aims to raise 100,000 USD for the single purpose of producing a batch of retro computer cases that mimmick outdated pizza box-style cases that were first designed decades ago to save desk space and improve ergonomics when placed below small yet bulky CRT monitors.

In times when, often height-adjustable, compact flat screens are the standard and next to nobody is using CRT monitors anymore, nobody should be surprised that this type of form factor has long gone out of style and been pretty much abandoned for good reason.

Plus, at a premium cost of roughly 250 USD for a mere case, this is clearly not a project that will attract the interest of many users. In fact, the fact that "only" a few hundred people have pledged and shown serious interest is proof that this is a niche product and not something that appeals to a majority of community members.

Being a niche product is perfectly fine, by the way. What is not fine is when entitled individuals make accusations against others for not spending thousands and thousands of dollars on a project that by all reasonable standards is "non-essential".
  • »26.09.18 - 20:21
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

You have got to be kidding.

Checkmate is a project that aims to raise 100,000 USD for the single purpose of producing a batch of retro computer cases that mimmick outdated pizza box-style cases that were first designed decades ago to save desk space and improve ergonomics when placed below small yet bulky CRT monitors.

No, I am not.

And its much, much more than that.

A modular PC case. Perfect case for Standalone Vamp or A500/600 Vamp.
    For expanded A1200. Molds to be made for re-production runs.
    Then there is a side a500 to a3000 keyboard conversion kit and plan to make
    A3000 keyboard replica for all.

In then, there is nice plan to supply OS 3.9, AmiKit X and AROS wherever possible in
    ordered kits, way more custom and nicer then CUSA incl. Vampire Standalones.

And that is something here cannot be spoken of (multiple threads deleted)
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »27.09.18 - 18:22
    Kronos
    @vox

You can back these cases with 25.8 gazillion english Złoty if you like, but if I ever put a full-size desktop onto my desk it will be a genuine A3000 or A4000 case with a genuine A3000 or A4000 motherboard in it.

If I need an emulation going beyond what actual HW ever did, I'll just set up UAE somewhere, better, cheaper and just as "real" as Frankenstein-Hype that will soon blow over.

The general public might be mini-NES cos it's cheap and easy to use, if they are geeky they might get an A500 replica case as that the only Amiga they will remember.

A3000 was something very few outside ever saw or would easily identify as "Amiga" so the market for those case is limited by design.
  • »27.09.18 - 19:53
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    A3000 was something very few outside ever saw or would easily identify as "Amiga" so the market for those case is limited by design.

True, but its Classic users wet dream, and best Amiga by out of box abilities ever. Something like Atari TT. Too advanced, too expensive.

By your every right.

But its NOT just UAE box that you dislike, (thats for PC souls wishing to fire up amikit x or AROS sometimes) it is ALSO Amiga case.

It will be great shame if it fails. Stephen has been a nice spearhead of old school home
    innovation, not a money reaper as many.

Loriano is already out, A500 molds succeeded, but there will be NOT many options for Claasics, Vamps,AmigaNGs and PC/Pi Amiga emu boxes. This one deserves to live.

[ Edited by vox 27.09.2018 - 22:31 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »27.09.18 - 20:28
    KennyR
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

In times when, often height-adjustable, compact flat screens are the standard and next to nobody is using CRT monitors anymore, nobody should be surprised that this type of form factor has long gone out of style and been pretty much abandoned for good reason.

What, you didn't enjoy breaking your CD-drive's door gears when you ejected a CD after forgetting to move your keyboard?
  • »27.09.18 - 21:25
  • vox
    vox
    @all

Dont you worry, its highly likely to fail UNLESS miracle happen and over 25%
    is funded in next 100 hours.

$76,625 pledged of $101,355 goal
    311 backers
    4days to go

Thank you all for generous contribution as well as for securing
    your likely last nice desktop case. As well as for support
    to Stephens past endeavors.

Crazy Checkmate 1500 Unofficial Promo - New miniITX Amiga case
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAB1JiSMssw

Looking forward to see Tabor in Fractal design x1000 HDD Less case in next commercial.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »28.09.18 - 10:03
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    A modular PC case. Perfect case for Standalone Vamp or A500/600 Vamp.
    For expanded A1200. Molds to be made for re-production runs.
    Then there is a side a500 to a3000 keyboard conversion kit and plan to make
    A3000 keyboard replica for all.

In then, there is nice plan to supply OS 3.9, AmiKit X and AROS wherever possible in ordered kits, way more custom and nicer then CUSA incl. Vampire Standalones.

And that is something here cannot be spoken of (multiple threads deleted)

Perhaps the name is too subtle but MorphZone is a MorphOS website.

We do not accept unpaid advertisements for projects and products without an obvious connection to MorphOS. These are considered "spam" and will be deleted immediately. For the record, we also delete news submissions for the same reason almost every week so this is a fairly standard procedure.
  • »28.09.18 - 10:22
  • vox
    vox
    Completely Amiga unrelated.

Paid advertisment in midst of KS? Must be joking.

No MOS sys? I bet I could mod MacMini to it.
    SAM460ex too. Future x86 board.

Amiga 1200 with Blizzard.

More if you support more, likewise with OS4.

But, understandable from some corporate POV.

Really expected more from old and die-hard Amiga fans.
    Well, now I NOT will buy a MOS license until either x1000 or x86 MOS.
    (even G4s and G5s have became dirt cheap even in my area)

Tear down and exponation, for those who those who wish to educate.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMVgQG6_KA

Thats all from me, folks. Dont expect much buzz either. Relax.

Update:

$101,678 pledged of $100,989 goal
    417 backers
    21hours to go

AmiWest promises on Tabor:

It currently supports the latest RadeonHD and RadeonRX drivers, Warp3D Nova, and Warp3D-SI. The Ethernet drivers are done (two of them; one A-EON and the other AOTL), and firmware is updated to X5000 level. Waiting on the Audio driver and final OS 4.1 ISO. It should ship Q1 2019

[ Edited by vox 13.10.2018 - 23:39 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »28.09.18 - 12:10
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    clusteruk
    @Vox

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the MorphOS community, I think we can say that I may struggle to get them on board which is a shame especially with what I am planning but they may come round.

It is quite amusing because I agree with a lot that has been said but I have a big picture which will only become fully clear when it happens. There is no secret I want to bring people back to the Amiga and this is hopefully a small step on that path.

The reason for the case is to appeal to the nostalgia people feel to the Amiga computer that they gave up years ago and the absolute belief that the A3000 was the best Amiga ever made next to the A1000 and definitely the best looking. Now having this nostalgia bone tickled may give this small community another boost.

However, I assume people do not mind if I continue to try and get MorphOS hardware running in my case one way or another as it is definitely the best looking Amiga platform.

Steve Jones

P.S. I did not bother including the Kickstarter link :-)
    p.p.s. Please port to ARM, x86 was good choice ten years ago but not now.
  • »28.09.18 - 12:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    @Andreas_Wolf

Blame game continues post AmiWest speeches:

Source

• »15.10.18 - 15:02