Greetings from Canada
  • Just looking around
    kahuna
    Hello everyone,
    This is Jose (a.k.a Kahuna), nice to e-meet you all!

I'm originally from Spain but I live in Canada now. Recently, I became more and more interested in the Amiga world. Never had an Amiga growing up, but always heard about them.
    I was lucky enough to get an A1200 that I really like, and now I'm taking the next step with MorphOS.

MorphOS is running in a PowerMac G5, two 2Ghz CPUs, 4GB of RAM, a Radeon 9600 256MB and a couple of 250GB SSD drives.
    I'm aware MorphOS cannot use more than 1.7GB of RAM or so, but I also have Linux running in this Machine (triple boot: MacOS, Linux and of course MorphOS 3.17 with Chrysalis).
    Love that MorphOS boots up in like 3 seconds :-D

I'm facing some challenges, I'd appreciate some help:
    - Apple's Mighty mouse: The scrolling wheel is not working. It does work in a Logitech mouse I have, but not using the Mighty Mouse. Is there anything I can do to have a functional wheel mouse? other than just use the Logitech one, or you know Amigas didn't have wheel mouses :-)

- Connect to a SMB/NFS share: My home server runs Debian, I'd like to have access to my files / shares from MorphOS. They are exported over SMB as well as NFS. Does MorphOS support NFS?
    I've tried to use 'smbfs' to mount the share, but it isn't working. I saw a post indicating that SMB2 is not supported on MorphOS, not sure if that's the issue. In any case, can anyone let me know what is the command I should run to mount it? It's quite confusing to me.
    My server internal IP address is '192.168.45.40'; workgroup is 'SNK'; user let's say it's 'user'; password: 'password'; share name is just 'data'; the mount point in Linux is /mnt/data (not sure if it's required, shouldn't be)

- SSH/SCP: There is a folder called "remote shell" I believe that basically contains an ssh and an scp client. I was able to login into my Debian server, but I think there are console parameters that are missing, as I cannot hit up to see the last command I ran, or just use the cursor keys in vim.
    The other problem is with SCP, it asks for confirmation on the host key when I try to copy anything over from my Debian server. I type yes, y... it doesn't matter, it just ignores my input and asks the same question over and over again.

- The last thing (for today, hehe) is about the widgets you can add to the upper bar. For instance, I enabled CPU usage, CPU temperature, weather... and all of them are working. However, when I go to the configuration of these widgets and for instance try to change the city code for the weather widget, my MorphOS basically freezes up and I have to reboot the machine.
    Is this a known bug?

Thanks all for your feedback.
    See you around!
  • »18.05.22 - 23:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    - Apple's Mighty mouse: The scrolling wheel is not working. It does work in a Logitech mouse I have, but not using the Mighty Mouse. Is there anything I can do to have a functional wheel mouse? other than just use the Logitech one, or you know Amigas didn't have wheel mouses :-)

The Mighty Mouse is notorious for trouble with its "all direction scroller ball". Over time it gathers dust and dirt and stops working. There's a simple trick worth trying though: Take your mouse and a clean sheet of paper. Turn the mouse upside down and move it vigorously with the scroller over the paper. You should see the dirt remains on the paper. After a few 'sessions' it could start working. If it doesn't - try applying some isopropyl alcohol on the scroller before cleaning it over the paper. If that doesn't help - you'll need to dismantle the mouse and clean it from inside.

Quote:

when I go to the configuration of these widgets and for instance try to change the city code for the weather widget, my MorphOS basically freezes up and I have to reboot the machine.
    Is this a known bug?

I believe you have some 3rd party screenbar module that's messing things up.
  • »19.05.22 - 06:17
  • Just looking around
    kahuna
    Thanks for the reply Koszer.

Regarding the "Mighty Mouse", it's a new old stock one, it works perfectly fine on MacOS and Linux. However, for some reason it doesn't on MorphOS.
  • »19.05.22 - 07:02
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Hi, and welcome!

Quote:

Does the Mighty mouse work on those other operating systems? In any case MorphOS has always supported the mouse wheel and it has worked on all mice I've tried, but OTOH I haven't been using Apple's products for that if they'd had some non-standard solutions or something...

Quote:

- Connect to a SMB/NFS share: My home server runs Debian, I'd like to have access to my files / shares from MorphOS. They are exported over SMB as well as NFS. Does MorphOS support NFS?
    I've tried to use 'smbfs' to mount the share, but it isn't working. I saw a post indicating that SMB2 is not supported on MorphOS, not sure if that's the issue. In any case, can anyone let me know what is the command I should run to mount it? It's quite confusing to me.

Maybe this guide would help you?
    https://library.morph.zone/Mounting_Network_Drives

There's also a new 68k NFS3 mounter, which nobody has probably tried on MorphOS yet, but might be worth to try (and please report if you get it working):
    http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/nfs3

Quote:

- SSH/SCP: There is a folder called "remote shell" I believe that basically contains an ssh and an scp client. I was able to login into my Debian server, but I think there are console parameters that are missing, as I cannot hit up to see the last command I ran, or just use the cursor keys in vim.

Did you run the actual RemoteShell program or the ssh command from its subdirs? I've been using the RemoteShell GUI program successfully with several servers myself and haven't had any issues with the arrow keys or anything.

Quote:

- The last thing (for today, hehe) is about the widgets you can add to the upper bar. For instance, I enabled CPU usage, CPU temperature, weather... and all of them are working. However, when I go to the configuration of these widgets and for instance try to change the city code for the weather widget, my MorphOS basically freezes up and I have to reboot the machine.

All screenbar modules that are provided within the OS should work just fine, but there have been several issues with 3rd party modules in the past. Make sure that you have the latest versions of the 3rd party modules (they are installed into the SYS:Classes/Screenbar/ directory), and if they still give you issues, please report to the corresponding author.
  • »19.05.22 - 07:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    The other problem is with SCP, it asks for confirmation on the host key when I try to copy anything over from my Debian server. I type yes, y... it doesn't matter, it just ignores my input and asks the same question over and over again.

Try typing "yes" instead of "y", and if that doesn't help, do you have a home dir set in "MorphOS Preferences -> Users -> Home Dir"?
  • »19.05.22 - 07:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    Regarding the "Mighty Mouse", it's a new old stock one, it works perfectly fine on MacOS and Linux. However, for some reason it doesn't on MorphOS.

You mean the A1152 model? I have a few of those and they just work. Strange...
  • »19.05.22 - 08:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

kahuna escribió:
    Hello everyone,

I'm originally from Spain but I live in Canada now. Recently, I became more and more interested in the Amiga world. Never had an Amiga growing up, but always heard about them.
    I was lucky enough to get an A1200 that I really like, and now I'm taking the next step with MorphOS.

MorphOS is running in a PowerMac G5, two 2Ghz CPUs, 4GB of RAM, a Radeon 9600 256MB and a couple of 250GB SSD drives.
    I'm aware MorphOS cannot use more than 1.7GB of RAM or so, but I also have Linux running in this Machine (triple boot: MacOS, Linux and of course MorphOS 3.17 with Chrysalis).
    Love that MorphOS boots up in like 3 seconds :-D

I'm facing some challenges, I'd appreciate some help:

My server internal IP address is '192.168.45.40'; workgroup is 'SNK'; user let's say it's 'user'; password: 'password'; share name is just 'data'; the mount point in Linux is /mnt/data (not sure if it's required, shouldn't be)

Is this a known bug?

Thanks all for your feedback.
    See you around!

Welcome José, bienvenido amigo José.
  • »19.05.22 - 10:14
    Kronos
    For the mouse you might check USB prefs, select the mouse and look if the scrollball generates any events.

If it does you should be able to assign to a normal mousewheel.
  • »19.05.22 - 12:11
  • Just looking around
    @kahuna

Welcome!
  • »19.05.22 - 15:47
    tolkien
    Aupa Jose! Bienvenido a esta pagina llena de cracks sobre MorphOS.

Si estas interesado en un grupo de telegram de españoles con mas de 160 personas locas por el amiga y algunos con morphOS hazlo saber.

Welcome and enjoy this beatiful OS.
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »19.05.22 - 18:05
  • Just looking around
    kahuna
    Hey,
    Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I'm writing this post in Wayfarer :-D

Did some more digging as you suggested.
    Regarding SMB mount, it was clearly a RTFM moment. I enabled SMB1 on my Debian server and it started to work right away. I don't really like to have SMB1 on my network, but it will be there until I can find a suitable replacement.

About the ssh/scp: I'm able to login over SSH using the "remote shell" app, it works perfectly fine. However, I'm quite used to copy stuff over ssh using scp, and that's not working for me. It asks the same question about the host verification every single time, like I said, it ignores my reply. Tried with y, yes, Yes, YES ...
    I guess now that I have SMB(1) working, this is not strictly necessary anymore.

The Mighty Mouse I have is a bluetooth one, model A1197.

I'll keep playing and hopefully learning more!

[ Edited by kahuna 19.05.2022 - 23:01 ]
  • »20.05.22 - 05:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Hi kahuna, and welcome to the world of MorphOS.

Bluetooth is not specifically supported under MorphOS, though I'm typing this message using an Apple A1016 Bluetooth keyboard that I paired via Mac OSX and it works as intended with MorphOS, but there is no Bluetooth 'stack' that is part of MorphOS.

Having said that the A1016 is an old Bluetooth keyboard that Apple made in the era that the G4 & G5s were being sold by Apple, as is the A1197. However, it being Bluetooth, rather than it being a wired or a standard wireless Mighty mouse, may have functionality that MorphOS's capabilities of understanding bluetooth devices just can't handle, but as Kronos said if you can get it to recognise the function with prefs then you're in with a chance of some good luck! 8-)

I generally use a Logitech T-RB22 trackball that's wireless and that works great with any system I've tried it with, but it's not Bluetooth hardware.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.05.22 - 06:56
    Kronos
    With Bluetooth your limited to the USB emulation provided by the OpenFirmware.

Only movement and max 3 buttons are provided.
  • »20.05.22 - 08:41
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    However, I'm quite used to copy stuff over ssh using scp, and that's not working for me. It asks the same question about the host verification every single time, like I said, it ignores my reply. Tried with y, yes, Yes, YES ...

Funny... it doesn't accept y on my setup, but yes, Yes, YES do work. It then creates "conf" directory at the same location where scp is, and creates a "known_hosts" file under it. Hard to say why this doesn't happen on you... maybe you could try to check with Snoopium if it fails to create the directory or file for some reason?

There are also other alternatives for scp to copy files over SSH. You can mount a directory with SSH2FS, or use a graphical file transfer program that supports SFTP, like Transfer or RNOXfer.
  • »20.05.22 - 11:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kahuna
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Hi kahuna, and welcome to the world of MorphOS.

Bluetooth is not specifically supported under MorphOS, though I'm typing this message using an Apple A1016 Bluetooth keyboard that I paired via Mac OSX and it works as intended with MorphOS, but there is no Bluetooth 'stack' that is part of MorphOS.

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    With Bluetooth your limited to the USB emulation provided by the OpenFirmware.

Only movement and max 3 buttons are provided.

Makes a lot of sense now.
    I was playing around with the USB settings and I was able to configure the wheel as a third button, but not as an actual wheel.

In regards to the keyboard, I'm using a recent "Apple Magic keyboard with numeric keypad". It does work, I have to test function/multimedia keys though, not sure about those.

Quote:

jPV wrote:
    There are also other alternatives for scp to copy files over SSH. You can mount a directory with SSH2FS, or use a graphical file transfer program that supports SFTP, like Transfer or RNOXfer.

Will try all of this, eventually! :-)

Thanks all!
  • »20.05.22 - 17:53
  • Just looking around
    kahuna
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Maybe this guide would help you?
    https://library.morph.zone/Mounting_Network_Drives

There's also a new 68k NFS3 mounter, which nobody has probably tried on MorphOS yet, but might be worth to try (and please report if you get it working):
    http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/nfs3

Did you run the actual RemoteShell program or the ssh command from its subdirs? I've been using the RemoteShell GUI program successfully with several servers myself and haven't had any issues with the arrow keys or anything.

Updating here.

I'm afraid the nfs3 client does not work. I get an "out of memory" message when I try to mount any NFS export using it.

scp creating the home folder seems to have done the trick. It's working now.
    I see this warning message though:
    hostfile_replace_entries: link /PROGDIR/conf/known_hosts to /PROGDIR/conf/known_hosts.old: Not a directory
    update_known_hosts: hostfile_replace_entries failed for /PROGDIR/conf/known_hosts: Not a directory

Probably some alias missing ??

Thanks!
  • »21.05.22 - 07:46
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @kahuna: If you got an out of memory message at mounting your NFS share you got at least further than me. ;-) I only get:

Code:
    nfs3 ef URI=192.168.2.2/home/ef
    nfs3 $VER: 1.5 (2022-03-20) - (c) by Stefan "Bebbo" Franke
    failed to mount drive ef at 192.168.2.2/home/ef
    error 16

What parameters did you use for mounting your share? I am a bit confused over this Amiga nfs3 parameters. Mounting the same share on the same PowerMac G5 running Linux just works fine with mount 192.168.2.2:/home/ef/ /media/distanthome/.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »21.05.22 - 19:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

kahuna wrote:
    I'm afraid the nfs3 client does not work. I get an "out of memory" message when I try to mount any NFS export using it.

It is strange. It is similar like my error with smbfs.
    My BananaPro died, so I mouted the disk to Win7 station. SMB1 and SMB2 protocols are enabled in registers.
    I can normally mount device. Via smbfs and smb mounter. I see and list all files on shares, also in sub-directories.

But if I want to copy something, does't matter if from share or to share, there is allways error:
    Code:
    File XYZ.txt is not complete.
    Dos error: not enough memory available (#103).

Do you have similar experience?
    And on AmigaOS 4 with smbfs I even cannot mount anything, smbfs allways hangs.
    I don't test it from PPC linux yet.

Probably bad settings in Windows, but I don't know which..

[ Edited by sailor 21.05.2022 - 23:38 ]
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »21.05.22 - 19:39
    polluks
    @ernsteiswuerfel
    At least the readme says
    ERR_DEVICE_NODE = 16
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.05.22 - 22:56
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @polluks: Yes, I noticed that. ;-) And that's what puzzles me. I can mount this share on other machines and on the same G5 under Linux, so it should be ok. I must have messed up something with Amiga nfs3 parameters but I don't know what...
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »22.05.22 - 11:10