FinalWriter!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I got an update from Final Writer's Contact email with the message:

Quote:

Since it's only fair to keep you updated.
    [attachment - image of an AROS Shell window as a png - the text in the image was as follows]
    Code:
    AROS Shell

New Shell process 1
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:> cd FinalWriter/
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:FinalWriter> cd Tools/
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:FinalWriter/Tools> stack 50000000
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:FinalWriter/Tools> stack
    Current stack size is 50000000 bytes
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:FinalWriter/Tools> dir
    gs ijsgutenprint.5.2
    ijs_client_example ijs_server_example
    test.pdf test.pdf.info
    1.NEW_VOLUME_0792:FinalWriter/Tools> gs -sDevice-ijs -sIjsServer=ijsgutenpri
    nt.5.2 -sDeviceManufacturer+Canon -sDeviceModel=bjc-1000 -sOutputFiile=ram:te
    st.prn test.pdf

I know on MorphOS printing is fairly well covered however it's in my best
    interest to have the 2800 Printers within gutenprint supported.

=== end of email ===

So, I thought I should keep others that are interested with this application's development up to date here with that most recent contact and information from the Final Writer website/developer(s). 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.02.23 - 06:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Ready for an update for Final Writer v7 . . . .. so am I . . . . but we'll have to wait, as since from early 2023 there does not seem to be any update ready for MorphOS users, well not on the Final Writer (GoDaddy) website - linked below

My comments still do not mean that I do not want the project to succeed, as I do, but there seems to be little to keep enthusiasm going for it, when it is still languishing, long and hard, in the continuing data 'doldrums' ? :-?

I would still hope there's a reply back here soon, with an update on some progress for FinalWriter v7 for 2023. No point in holding my breath though as I can't hold my breath for 10 months or anywhere near that amount of time :-D

These are the Final Writer v7 *Featured Products* for 2023 ... huh !
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.12.23 - 06:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Sadly I am not able to announce a MorphOS version yet. However FW 7.1 for the various AROS Platforms are available. As soon as I'm able to work out the details there will be a MorphOS version.
  • »25.08.24 - 18:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Quote:

terminills wrote:
    Sadly I am not able to announce a MorphOS version yet. However FW 7.1 for the various AROS Platforms are available. As soon as I'm able to work out the details there will be a MorphOS version.

Wow, thank you!
  • »25.08.24 - 23:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I’m ready to upgrade Final Writer once it’s available. Will there be a multi-platform version sold that comes with all versions? I have several next generation Amiga systems so want it for all of them.

[ Edited by discreetfx 25.08.2024 - 22:24 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »26.08.24 - 04:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ terminills - Timothy, I had my doubts that you would ever reach the point where the program was at a stable, useful, fully feature implemented release, that was due to the program seemingly languishing in the doldrums for such a long time. That said . . . KUDOS to you!! 8-D

I had seen that the A600GS was to get a pre-installation of the v7 of Final Writer Special Edition that you had come to agreement with AmigaKit to release on that hardware.

I have to ask, have you tried to run v7 of Final Writer on MorphOS hardware? :-?

If it will run on 68k hardware then it will probably run on MorphOS within the 68k built-in emulation, via Trance.

So, have you considered that as a stop-gap sale to promote the program's release, with a free release of the MorphOS version when it is completed, to MorphOS users that purchase the 68k release, if it is available to buy individually - and that is of course - if it will run under 68k emulation on MorphOS hardware? ;-)
  • »26.08.24 - 05:35
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:
    I’m ready to upgrade Final Writer once it’s available. Will there be a multi-platform version sold that comes with all versions? I have several next generation Amiga systems so want it for all of them.

I have no intention of having people pay full price for multiple copies.
  • »26.08.24 - 06:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ terminills - Timothy, I had my doubts that you would ever reach the point where the program was at a stable, useful, fully feature implemented release, that was due to the program seemingly languishing in the doldrums for such a long time. That said . . . KUDOS to you!! 8-D

I had seen that the A600GS was to get a pre-installation of the v7 of Final Writer Special Edition that you had come to agreement with AmigaKit to release on that hardware.

I have to ask, have you tried to run v7 of Final Writer on MorphOS hardware? :-?

If it will run on 68k hardware then it will probably run on MorphOS within the 68k built-in emulation, via Trance.

So, have you considered that as a stop-gap sale to promote the program's release, with a free release of the MorphOS version when it is completed, to MorphOS users that purchase the 68k release, if it is available to buy individually - and that is of course - if it will run under 68k emulation on MorphOS hardware? ;-)

I’m replying on my phone so don’t mind me not splitting the quotes.

First I know it’s been a long time hell I know better most. Since I’ve owned it there’s been 1000’s of commits. That being said the amount of bugs that were found has been immense.

I wish the 68k version would work on amorphous ootb however I do t think it will due to differences in libraries etc. will the main executable? Yes actually there’s a good chance with a conversion of elf to hunk. However I seriously doubt the libraries will work. Now there’s a few developers who I trust who have access to the git. I can say only one OS doesn’t have developers represented there. I won’t mention any names due to I don’t want them being harassed That being said if the morphos team wanted to include a cut down version in exchange for help bringing it to MorphOS they already know I’m okay with that.

[ Edited by terminills 26.08.2024 - 06:31 ]
  • »26.08.24 - 06:29
    Kronos
    Quote:

terminills wrote:

I wish the 68k version would work on amorphous ootb however I do t think it will due to differences in libraries etc. will the main executable? Yes actually there’s a good chance with a conversion of elf to hunk. However I seriously doubt the libraries will work.

Not quite sure what you are saying here:

a) you tried the 68k version on MorphOS, it failed and you think it's an issue with the libraries

b) you have not tried it but think it would fail somewhere in the libraries

Getting someone to do some testing shouldn't be the problem.
  • »26.08.24 - 08:40
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AROS/m68k executeables contain m68k code, so MorphOS could run that code.

AROS/m68k executeables are usually in hunk format, so MorphOS could load them into memory and jump to the beginning.

But as soon as the code jumps to libraries it will only work as long as those libraries are there in MorphOS (AROS posixc.library won't be for example) and as long as the AROS executeable does not call any AROS specific LVOs.

So for any even slightly complex program.. it won't work.
  • »26.08.24 - 09:53
    Kronos
    Quote:

o1i wrote:

So we are talking bout AROS-68k specific build not an AmigaOS3.x build?
  • »26.08.24 - 10:34
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

o1i wrote:

So we are talking bout AROS-68k specific build not an AmigaOS3.x build?

I guess so. That's what has been written above:

"FW 7.1 for the various AROS Platforms are available."
  • »26.08.24 - 12:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

terminills wrote: . . . That being said if the morphos team wanted to include a cut down version in exchange for help bringing it to MorphOS they already know I’m okay with that.
    So, is anyone from the MorphOS (Development) Team prepared to offer the assistance necessary to make this happen?

I feel sure there would be multiple users willing to give some financial donation to the Team, or a single member of the Team prepared to take this on, I know I would make a donation, and a payment to terminills for the effort that's already been put into the program itself, once the MorphOS release of Final Writer v7 had been completed, as it's a great project to support, and may allow further development as a result. 8-D

@ terminills - I would also have to ask, if you got it running on an A600 (68k) (GS) architecture system, then what would there be to prevent it from running on MorphOS under Trance emulation? :-?

As it seems to me that creating it for AROS (NG Amiga) then making it available for an A600 (68k) seems a retrograde (backwards) step that you must have had to make work on 68k architecture, but that is surely emulated in the capabilities of Trance, or even under emulation in E-UAE or similar Amiga 68k emulation software! 8-)
  • »27.08.24 - 05:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote: . . . That being said if the morphos team wanted to include a cut down version in exchange for help bringing it to MorphOS they already know I’m okay with that.
    So, is anyone from the MorphOS (Development) Team prepared to offer the assistance necessary to make this happen?

I feel sure there would be multiple users willing to give some financial donation to the Team, or a single member of the Team prepared to take this on, I know I would make a donation, and a payment to terminills for the effort that's already been put into the program itself, once the MorphOS release of Final Writer v7 had been completed, as it's a great project to support, and may allow further development as a result. 8-D

@ terminills - I would also have to ask, if you got it running on an A600 (68k) (GS) architecture system, then what would there be to prevent it from running on MorphOS under Trance emulation? :-?

As it seems to me that creating it for AROS (NG Amiga) then making it available for an A600 (68k) seems a retrograde (backwards) step that you must have had to make work on 68k architecture, but that is surely emulated in the capabilities of Trance, or even under emulation in E-UAE or similar Amiga 68k emulation software! 8-)

Fwiw the A600GS version is a cut down AROS version. The intention has always been to get it to all of the platforms. Obviously AROS being the Amiga OS clone of choice that’s where the initial focus was.
  • »02.09.24 - 01:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ terminills - So, I don't go quoting all that I've said before, let me just keep to the most relevant point, in my opinion, that I asked, that you don't seem to have answered specifically . . .
    Quote:

I would also have to ask, if you got it running on an A600 (68k) (GS) architecture system, then what would there be to prevent it from running on MorphOS under Trance emulation?" :-?

I know your choice of Amiga OS to aim for is your priority, and that seems to be AROS, and I have to appreciate your consideration for that platform, as being more relevant to you than other Amiga variants, and I would not want to see you delay completing your FW v7.1 release for AROS, in preference to any other Amiga variant version of Final Writer.

It's just that, as you've made it available for a well known Amiga 68k piece of hardware (A600), even if it is a cut-down AROS version, that A600 release surely should be able to be run within MorphOS's Trance capabilities, or via some Amiga emulation that MorphOS can use very reliably.

So, it seems strange, to say the least, that you haven't passed it, or at least been in contact with someone in the MorphOS Development Team, or tried it yourself on a MorphOS system - which you have not stated to my knowledge. Even I will test if you are agreeable to that - and I can assure you I would not pass the data to anyone else, and I would sign any NDA you want regarding being allowed access to the data to ensure your peace of mind, that's if you can't entice anyone from the MOS Dev Team to see what would need to be changed, if anything, for it to run under Trance or Amiga 68k emulation on MorphOS. 8-)

That is, prior to native versions of Final Writer v7.1 being completed, which I feel sure many of the MorphOS user community will be eagerly anticipating, as will the wider Amiga community whenever a native version(s) of Final Writer v7.1 for each and every Amiga system is completed, in whichever order you choose to release your version of Final Writer. 8-D
  • »02.09.24 - 06:37
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Sorry, but aros/m68k is simply not os3/m68k, it is much more advanced, but not always in a morphos direction.

Why don't os4 programs not run on morphos and vice versa? All powerpc and all like Amiga, can't be that hard.
  • »02.09.24 - 10:08
    polluks
    Quote:

o1i schrieb:
    Why don't os4 programs not run on morphos and vice versa? All powerpc and all like Amiga, can't be that hard.

At least we have OS4Emu.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.09.24 - 20:29
    Templario
    Quote:

polluks escribió:
    Quote:

o1i schrieb:

At least we have OS4Emu.

OS4Emu doesn't works several years ago with OS4 programs (less with games).
  • »03.09.24 - 10:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    At least we have OS4Emu.

But we don't have AROSEmu, which would be needed in this case. At least if I understand it correctly that the operating system in A600GS is actually AROS and not OS3.

Correct.
  • »03.09.24 - 14:00
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    It's just that, as you've made it available for a well known Amiga 68k piece of hardware (A600)

And to make it clear, it's not about Commodore's A600, but the new A600GS computer by AmigaKit, which is an Orange Pi Zero 3 based hardware that uses Amiberry emulator to emulate Amiga/68k hardware. A bit like THEA500 Mini by Retro Games.
  • »03.09.24 - 15:15
    Profile Visit Website