DVD Bundle for (news) MorphOS users
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Even if you give me a date I can do a special program just for your project.
  • »03.05.12 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Papiosaur,

How are new users supposed to use this .iso file that they download?

After they burn the iso to a CD and insert it into their MorphOS computer, or download and mount the iso file on their MorphOS desktop, do you provide any instructions to the new MorphOS users on how they should get the best experience with the files you have provided on this iso?

There is no installer, like the one provided for the Pack Ultimate, so I was wondering if a new MorphOS user would be able to unarchive and setup all the programs you have provided them with on this iso file?

I am just wondering how "Fool" proof what you are providing will be, assuming that it is intended for "New" MorphOS users, not experienced MorphOS users?

[ Edited by amigadave 03.05.2012 - 10:40 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.05.12 - 21:38
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    I never thought to ask you.
    But I downloaded both the 2.7 and alpha bundle on a pc.

So how do you download Pack to pc, The install.lha opens a script to install on a morph machine. Not a iso/download.

I can wait for Papaiosaur DVD, but if you have a faster way...

I'll ask now.
  • »03.05.12 - 23:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @ amigadave: for the moment, i collect just which i think it essential for people want to try MorphOS after i will try to extract all archives in the ISO to facility installation and launch.

@ sacc-user:

download this files on usb key: (at the root)

http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/ultimate.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/apps.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/games.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/emulators.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/english.lha
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/pack/installpack.lha

Start MorphOS 2.7
    Extract installpack.lha to ram:
    Launch Install Pack Ultimate
    When installer ask you:
    "Please select drive to download files"
    your must select your usb key (at the root)
    Installer will not donwload files because are already on the usb key.
    Click Ok for each archives, after installer will extract archives and ask you to reset the hardware.
    After first start, reset one more time manualy to activate Arexx.
  • »04.05.12 - 00:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Papiosaur,

That is what I thought would work to get them installed. Maybe you can copy the text from that last answer to sacc-user and paste it into a "Readme" file for the iso, so all the new MorphOS users will know how to use the Pack Ultimate installer script to install all of the software in the CD iso file that they mount or burn to a real CD.
  • »04.05.12 - 04:13
    Templario
    Thank you for the date, I'm working in it although only for AmigaOS4.
  • »04.05.12 - 14:29
    Templario
    Not, but I forget this game, but I can compiled and reprogramming this game for MorphOS and for your DVD or site, today not because now I'm working in the Acuario 2012 for AmigaOS4 and MorphOS and the other proyect, but if I have free time and connect my MacMini for the Acuario, I'll make the game.
  • »04.05.12 - 15:24
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    @Papiosaur

Thanks!
    The download went well, followed list...
    using defaults on 80gig 2.7 standard install,
    the system disk ran out of room.

FYI,

Thanks again
  • »04.05.12 - 17:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Papi

You are an asseet to the community. You show initiative and imagination. Another cool project. Thanks and dont let anyone discourage your work! :pint:
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »05.05.12 - 08:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    sacc-user,
    Quote:

Thanks!
    The download went well, followed list...
    using defaults on 80gig 2.7 standard install,
    the system disk ran out of room.

Unfortunately, the default MorphOS2.7 installation does not provide a large enough System partition for Papiosaur's Pack Ultimate installation. You need to install some of the Pack Ultimate stuff on a different partition, instead of the System partition. It has been so long since I have done it, I have forgotten what I did to make the install of the Pack Ultimate work. I can't remember if I was able to switch the location of some of where some the Pack Ultimate programs got installed, or if I re-installed MorphOS2.7 using the manual partitioning option during the install in iWizard.

Hopefully someone with a better memory than mine will chime in and tell you the easiest way to get everything installed on your system. I'll try to remember, or figure it out for you and answer tomorrow, if no one else has answered before then, as it is after 1:30am right now.
  • »05.05.12 - 09:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Installation script extract just ultimate.lha and english.lha to sys: (partition where MorphOS is installed) and ask you where do you want install Applications, Games and Emulators.

Do not install manually because installation script create assignations to the paths you have selected.

[ Edité par Papiosaur 05.05.2012 - 10:01 ]
  • »05.05.12 - 11:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Papi,

The manual installation I was referring to was for MorphOS2.7, not for your Pack Ultimate. I was suggesting that he setup his partition sizes manually during the MorphOS2.7 install process, so he could make a larger System: partition and then running the Pack Ultimate installation script and choosing System: as the destination for everything would work.

Not that I am suggesting that this is the best setup, as I would install some things on my Work: partition instead of putting everything in the System partition.

(Edit: I remember one version of your Pack Ultimate that automatically installed everything into the System: partition and I had the same problem that sacc-user just had, but you fixed that long ago by changing the install script to allow us to choose different partitions to install Games, Applications, or Emulators to.)

[ Edited by amigadave 05.05.2012 - 10:16 ]
  • »05.05.12 - 21:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @ amigadave: i would like to say

"Do not install manually pack Ultimate because installation script create assignations to the paths you have selected."

Not MorphOS 2.7 ;-)

[ Edité par Papiosaur 06.05.2012 - 04:55 ]
  • »06.05.12 - 06:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Again, I am NOT suggesting to anyone to install your Pack Ultimate manually. You are mistaken that I have suggested it anywhere in this thread.

I am sorry that we seem to be having a language problem and you are not understanding what I am writing. I will try to be more careful how I word my posts toward you in the future.

[ Edited by amigadave 05.05.2012 - 20:42 ]
  • »06.05.12 - 07:40
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    @ Papiosaur

About the sys default, It was just ForYourInformation.

It's ok, I just reinstalled the 2.7 but with a larger sys.
    Everything worked fine after that.

@AmigaDave

Thanks for helping/guiding.
    If you hadn't spoken up, I would have just given up.

Now THANKs to both of you, I"M MORPHing (grin)

Now, I just have to figure this stuff out.

M
  • »06.05.12 - 08:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Great! Glad you got it installed as Papiosaur has put a ton of work into this package so all of us can enjoy his hard work.

You might still run into a few things that need to be configured, but there is a ton of software included that you can enjoy that Papi has tried to setup the best he could, with the help of others.

It makes a huge difference compared to a stock install with just the few apps and games included.
  • »06.05.12 - 09:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    sacc-user
    It does indeed!

If you recall, my plan was to use my powerbook with morphOS v3.
    But my kid got tired of my still waiting complaints and lent me her mac mini.

Now to use morphOS, one more thing...docs or manuals.
    Any suggestions?

M
  • »06.05.12 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    @ Amigadave:
    it was just a recommendation for MorphOS users want to extract archives manually, i never say you are suggesting to anyone to install your Pack Ultimate manually...

sorry for the trouble ;-)

@ sacc-user:
    this an old documentation of MorphOS:
    http://www.meta-morphos.org/download/ThePegasosBook_V2.3.pdf

i don't know if there is more recent documentation.

there is MorphOS Library too:
    http://library.morph.zone/Main_Page

[ Edité par Papiosaur 06.05.2012 - 16:39 ]
  • »06.05.12 - 18:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    sacc-user,
    Quote:

If you recall, my plan was to use my powerbook with morphOS v3.
    But my kid got tired of my still waiting complaints and lent me her mac mini.

Now to use morphOS, one more thing...docs or manuals.
    Any suggestions?

We all were hoping to be using our PowerBooks with MorphOS3.0 before now, but that was not to be. Hopefully it will be released within "two more weeks"!

I was supposed to be working on updating documentation for the past two years and have not gotten anything done. My excuse is that due to my back condition, I have not been using MorphOS2.x enough to feel comfortable about updating docs, without making mistakes, because I just don't know how everything works still after 3+ years of promoting MorphOS.

I have a general working knowledge of how MorphOS works, but not a detailed knowledge that you gain from actively using a product for a long time on a regular basis. I use MacOSX most of the time, just because it is easier with the built-in wireless networking, but I need to stop making excuses and just set up two computers at my bed. One with wireless networking to use as an Internet server to the second computer running MorphOS and just start using MorphOS as my main OS every day.

Because it does not look like I am going to getting any treatment that is going to change my condition for at least another 6 months. I just found out that the referral approval that I have been waiting the last 3 weeks for was not even sent by the Pain Management Clinic to the Out-Patient Surgical Center, and then from there to my HMO, who takes another 3 to 5 weeks to make a decision. From the time my Neurosurgeon asks for a test to be performed, until I get all the approvals for appointments with the Pain Management Clinic to perform the test and send the results back to the Neurosurgeon and I can get an approval to see my Neurosurgeon again to discuss the results, it will probably be 4 to 5 months, and this is just a test to determine what kind of surgery the Neurosurgeon wants to do. Then it will take another 3 to 4 months to get the approval for the surgery and get it scheduled. Sorry for venting my frustration with the medical system in this country. They are not interested in helping people, it is all about making it so difficult to obtain treatment that a percentage of people just give up trying to get the treatment they need, so the insurance company does not have to pay for the treatment and instead the patient settles for pills that end up shortening their lives and saving the insurance company money. Big corporations are ruining this country just like they are ruining most other countries as well. There is no personal responsibility for the actions of these corporations, so the people running them have no fear of ignoring legal and moral responsibilities, because they know that they will never be punished, and probably never even accused of doing anything wrong.

Again, sorry for my foul mood, I guess I will just take more Morphine and try to forget about all my frustrations until I can yell at someone who isn't doing their job tomorrow. FRACKING HMO administrators!

Edit: sacc-user, look in the Library here as there is some documentation there, but some of it is very dated and no longer applies, or is incorrect. It is probably better to just ask your questions here, or you can contact me directly via email if you like and I will help as much as I can, or try to point you in the right direction to find the help you need. I hope to begin working on updating some of the MorphOS documentation soon. Perhaps there are some other very experienced MorphOS users who have some spare time to work on updating the documentation as well. The Library here is now open for anyone to add their own improvements and changes to documentation, so it is sort of like a wiki that anyone can add information to.

[ Edited by amigadave 06.05.2012 - 09:56 ]
  • »06.05.12 - 20:44