New SAM460EX
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> It is more likely that the 4240 is canceled for 2012 (delayed to 2013, 4320).

> What's speaking against a cancellation though is that in a
    > Freescale press release from 6 weeks ago, i.e. 2 months
    > after the latest roadmap, the T4240 got mentioned prominently.
    > This leads me to think that the roadmap depiction from August is
    > flawed and they just missed to put the T4240 in or something.

Affirmation that the T4240 is neither cancelled nor (substantially) delayed (but apparently relegated from 2.0 to 1.8 GHz):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=7901&start=7
  • »24.01.12 - 21:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    magnetic,
    Quote:

Whats funny is that way more os4 ppl hate on morphos than vice versa.

Strange that to me it seems the opposite is the case: It is extremely rare that any OS4 user on AW.net will mention MOS in a bad light, as long as they are not provoked by "trolls" into reviving ancient flamewars... On the other hand, it seems quite common here (a MOS-only site) for some users to bash OS4, or otherwise get angry about something related to it. And yet on Amigans.net (an OS4-only site) you won't see any bashing of MOS at all.

Please note that I am only pointing out my observations, and not suggesting any explanations for them. It is simply that my observations contradict the above quote.

I mean, off the top of my head, I can't think of any OS4 users who actually hate MOS, certainly not to the extent of frequently making anti-MOS posts. So I would say that "OS4 users hating MorphOS" is a phantom, a myth, and the sooner it stops being perpetuated, the sooner both "sides" might get along.

[ Edited by ChrisH 25.01.2012 - 15:17 ]
    Author of the PortablE programming language.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue...
  • »25.01.12 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Please note that I am only pointing out my observations

No, you are pointing out your *perception*, which explains a lot actually...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.01.12 - 16:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Whats funny is that way more os4 ppl hate on morphos than vice versa.

That's - again - a perception.

AmigaDave is right in stating that it is a vocal minority who actually 'hate' (such a strong term). True on both sides.

There's also people who are genuinely not interested in the otherOS for whatever reason, and don't like to be challenged every 5 minutes to justify their viewpoint. Back them into a corner with benchmarks, or with evidence of direct lineage from AmigaOS3.x etc, and ram it down their throat enough and you will get told where to go. Fair enough really - it's a bit like having bible-bashers knocking on your door every 5 minutes.

My perception is that the majority of (both OS4 and MorphOS) users are open to trying both, sick of the petty arguements, and frankly put off by the perceived childish behaviour of BxFs from the 'other side' of the fence.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »25.01.12 - 18:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    @takemehomegrandma
    Please point of some RECENT examples from AW.net to back-up your claim. I would be interested to see what you *percieve* as "hate on MorphOS".

[ Edited by ChrisH 30.01.2012 - 18:31 ]
  • »30.01.12 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChrisH
    @ChrisH
    Ah well, it seems there aren't any recent examples (as I thought), but rather just bad old memories that sadly haven't faded away yet.

[ Edited by ChrisH 02.02.2012 - 09:28 ]
  • »02.02.12 - 10:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> Just for the purpose of overview I compiled a list of the DMIPS/MHz per core
    >> figures for various PPCs in ascending order (AltiVec capability is generally
    >> ignored, obviously):
    >> [...]
    >> e5500: 3.0

> The table on page #2 of the QorIQ AMP fact sheet PDF indicates that
    > the e6500 core didn't improve in that regard (comparing e6500's per-thread
    > performance to e5500's per-core performance).

The QorIQ AMP T4240/T4160 fact sheet claims "6.0 DMIPS/MHz per core" and at the same time for dual threads "1.7 times the performance of a single thread". To me this sounds strange as I think it should be either still 3.0 DMIPS per MHz and core or about 5 DMIPS per MHz and core at best in case of dual-threaded execution. Or does the Dhrystone benchmark really scale linearly with the amount of executable threads?
  • »08.02.12 - 20:13
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Still following your posts Andreas, but I'm as tired as I could possibly at the thought of considering any more blue vs. red camp discussions.

And Applied Micro doesn't seem to be able to get anything to run reasonably fast.

Hopefully we'll still get 2.5GHZ T5s.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.02.12 - 21:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Applied Micro doesn't seem to be able to get anything
    > to run reasonably fast.

True for their Power Architecture offerings. It seems they can't even get their chips above 1.2 GHz.

> Hopefully we'll still get 2.5GHZ T5s.

I hope so. As we can see with the T4 that went from the originally announced 2.0 GHz down to 1.8 GHz, nothing is set in stone.
  • »11.02.12 - 20:30
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    AltiVeced
    And don't forget, we're talking about FreeScale ;-)
  • »12.02.12 - 10:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> It seems they can't even get their chips above 1.2 GHz.

Now it's official: only up to 1.2 GHz for Mamba.

https://myapmold.apm.com/MyAMCC/jsp/public/productDetail/product_detail.jsp?productID=APM86190
    https://myapmold.apm.com/MyAMCC/jsp/public/productDetail/product_detail.jsp?productID=APM86290
    https://myapmold.apm.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/SNP/APM86190_PB_20120216.pdf
    https://myapmold.apm.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/SNP/APM86290_PB_20120216.pdf
  • »01.03.12 - 22:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well Andreas,
    Looks like we've got two threads in one here.
    I lost interest in the blue vs. red thing a long time ago.
    And David is a friend so I'm inclined to side with him and state my desire for increased cross platform cooperation.

Now as to APM, its a pity they can't get anything to scale up.
    The successors to Gemini aren't bad, but they're slow.
    Even if the T5s only operate at 1.8-2.0 GHz (when introduced), they'll have a solid 50% lead over Applied Micro's best.
    It makes picking a favorite manufacturer a no brainer.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »02.03.12 - 00:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Even if the T5s only operate at 1.8-2.0 GHz (when introduced),
    > they'll have a solid 50% lead over Applied Micro's best.

True, and even a much bigger lead if we regard not only the clock frequency but also the per-clock performance of the e6500 core vs. the PPC465 core. This should amount to an overall performance lead per core of at least 150%.

> It makes picking a favorite manufacturer a no brainer.

I wonder what ACube will do for the successor to the 1.15 GHz Sam460ex, if there'll be one that is. Let's see if they'll stay with Applied Micro and opt for the 1.2 GHz Mamba and maybe overclock it like they did with the PPC440EP and PPC460EX chips on the previous Sam boards so they can get it to some 1.4 GHz, or turn to another CPU vendor.
  • »02.03.12 - 08:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's incredibly complex designing any core but it'll be a lot simpler
    > than trying to design an x86. It is a frighteningly expensive business:
    > [...] Intel and AMD and the likes of Nvidia each spend around $500 million
    > to design a new core. - All that before they go into production.

Applied Micro share that estimation:

"to develop a core from scratch would be a $400 million to $500 million type of investment, minimally"
    http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/711065/000119312512164604/d334600dex992.htm
  • »17.04.12 - 10:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> while the e5500 core is claimed to be able to reach up to 2.5 GHz, no such part
    > has been announced yet.

They're getting close. QorIQ P5040 and P5021 announced running at up to 2.4 GHz:

http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1692130
    http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=P5040
    http://www.freescale.com/files/graphic/block_diagram/P5040_BD_IMG.jpg
    http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/fact_sheet/P50405021FS.pdf
    http://www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/reports_presentations/P5040OVRVWPRES.pdf
    http://www.freescale.com/files/training/doc/dwf/DWF13_APF_NET_T0560.pdf

SerDes lanes count has been upped to 20 (up from 18 on P5020/P5010) with 2 of them reserved for SATA, but only 3 PCIe controllers (down from 4 on the P5020/P5010) with one of them fixed at x8 speed.
    Sampling starting in June 2012, volume production in Q1 2013.

Edit: Price estimation:

"The company has not announced pricing; we estimate $200 to $300 for chips clocked at 1.6GHz to 2.4GHz."
    http://www.linleygroup.com/newsletters/newsletter_detail.php?num=4840

Edit: added another PDF link

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 26.11.2013 - 00:34 ]
  • »07.05.12 - 21:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Good Sam, my current Sam to work programming.
  • »07.05.12 - 23:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    The discussion of e5500 chips is interesting, but I am more interested in seeing what is done with the e6500 designs that are reported to scale from single core, low power, low cost SOC products, up to multi-core, multi-threaded workstation class products.

But most people here agree that it is not cost effective to port MorphOS to any new PPC board designs and the only new boards and chips that porting should be considered for should be x86, x64, or ARM, because those three will be mass produced designs intended for computer use, not an embedded market design, or an expensive custom low quantity design.

I have to agree that it is hard to compete with the currently available G4 & G5 Apple models, if MorphOS is going to be ported to any more PPC designs. The 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac is really hard to beat if you are looking at performance per dollar/pound/euro, as the prices continue to come down.

If the MorphOS Development Team will agree to announce the port MorphOS3.1, or 3.2 to the G5 PowerMac's (including the 2.7GHz model and promise to complete the port), I will agree to raise the money to purchase 10 dual 2.3GHz, or faster G5 PowerMac's for the MorphOS Development Team to use, or hand out to which ever members they choose to give them to.

[ Edited by amigadave 07.05.2012 - 14:56 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »08.05.12 - 01:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The discussion of e5500 chips is interesting, but I am more
    > interested in seeing what is done with the e6500 designs

Same here, but I found it worth reporting that Freescale seems to be able to eventually (almost) accomplish its design goal regarding the e5500 core's clock frequency as announced 2 years ago. That renders it even more probable that the 2.5 GHz design goal for the e6500 core in the QorIQ T5 will be met as announced a year ago.

> that are reported to scale from single core, low power, low cost
    > SOC products, up to multi-core, multi-threaded workstation class
    > products.

Actually, within the QorIQ AMP series, the family with the highest per-thread performance, which is the T5, is announced to not be the one with the highest amount of cores (that will be the T4) and to only have single-threaded e6500 cores (while the e6500 in T1 through T4 will be dual-threaded).

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7001&start=665
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=250
  • »08.05.12 - 09:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Well, it will be interesting to see if Trevor Dickinson can learn from his first experience in creating a new computer and make huge improvements in keeping his costs down by avoiding delays and choosing more economical components. Also, will he be able to create a low cost, low power design that will be appealing to hundreds, or thousands of remaining, or returning former Amiga users, to generate enough sales to make a profit from this second effort. I was frankly surprised when he announced at last year's AmiWest Show that he was working on a new design, again with Varisys. I thought that he would back away from designing computers for the tiny Amiga market after the losses he sustained with the X1000 project. Since he has decided to go forward with a second design, I can only conclude that he has seen new information that has given him more hope that his second attempt will be more financially successful than the X1000 has been, as I do not think that Trevor has any hopes that he will ever recoup his investment in the X1000, or if he is even going to try, since he has already stated that he is not making any profit for himself from the X1000 (at least not with the "First Contact" systems). I admire his dedication to the Amiga community and his optimism about the Amiga market. When he does release another product, I hope it will make him a profit and not be a donation to the users who buy it, some of whom can sometimes be ungrateful and very critical without a complete understanding of all that went into the creation of a new computer design.

No matter what his critics say, or write about him and the X1000, I will always support him and his efforts, and wish him all the best in what ever he comes up with in the future. I for one will be listening/reading intently, when his next announcement(s) is/are made.

Good Luck Trevor!

[ Edited by amigadave 08.05.2012 - 11:44 ]
  • »08.05.12 - 22:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > he announced at last year's AmiWest Show that he was working on a new design,
    > again with Varisys. [...] he has decided to go forward with a second design

Actually, he said that A-Eon contracted Varisys to develop no less than 3 new products, one of which will be an XCore processor card.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7001&start=682
  • »08.05.12 - 23:13
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    "Varisys to develop no less than 3 new products, one of which will be an XCore processor card."

1) XCore processor card (for PCI)
    2) Xorro card that gives easy access to xmos I/O + prototyping area.
    3) nemo successor with some Freescale P* or T* chip
    4) ?
    (I calculated 4 HW things being done from the news feed, but I do not have any details)

There's also XMOS SDK being done for AOS4, but that's not "HW". And netbook/notebook does not seem like A-Eon thing.

I think A-Eon will consentrate on high end systems only.

[ Edited by KimmoK 09.05.2012 - 17:24 ]
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »09.05.12 - 18:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    KimmoK,
    Quote:

"Varisys to develop no less than 3 new products, one of which will be an XCore processor card."

1) XCore processor card (for PCI)
    2) Xorro card that gives easy access to xmos I/O + prototyping area.
    3) nemo successor with some Freescale P* or T* chip
    4) ?
    (I calculated 4 HW things being done from the news feed, but I do not have any details)

There's also XMOS SDK being done for AOS4, but that's not "HW". And netbook/notebook does not seem like A-Eon thing.

I think A-Eon will consentrate on high end systems only.

Although it is not available for sale to the public yet, I believe that #2 above has already been completed, but might need more work before it is ready to sell. I think they showed it somewhere already.

I don't agree with your last comment about A-Eon only concentrating on high end systems only. If the e6500 core design chips are available as announced in the near future, with a single core SOC, low cost chip design, I could see A-Eon using it to produce an equivalent to an A500 kind of product for the Amiga market. That is what is needed for OS4.x to spread out to more of the majority of remaining and returning former Amiga users. Of course, if Hyperion comes out with their announced netbook at a price of only $300 to $500 and it can run OS4.x fairly well, that will be a huge hit and big seller for people interested in trying out OS4.x for the first time, plus all the existing OS4.x users who want something that is portable and can run off battery power.

In the long run, this could actually be beneficial to MorphOS3.0 on the G4 PowerBook as well, because once hundreds (or hopefully thousands) of current and former Amiga users get a taste of running a Next Gen Amiga system on PPC, many of them will want something more, better, faster, and might try MorphOS3.0 on the G4 PowerBook as a step up from their low powered Hyperion netbooks.

[ Edited by amigadave 09.05.2012 - 10:36 ]
  • »09.05.12 - 21:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I calculated 4 HW things being done from the news feed

I didn't "calculate" anything but just listened to what Trevor said himself at AmiWest 2011:

"I'm looking at several new hardware developments with Varisys and we just signed the contracts for three new developments. Two of them are quite exciting, one will just [...unintelligible...] a PCI board with XMOS stuff on it [...]. We're looking at two other areas for new hardware which will hopefully help to bring again a new community together in the future."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=383 (video links therein)

> There's also XMOS SDK being done for AOS4

I wonder if that will ever come, and I still remember Trevor's statements on that from July 2010 in Essen/Germany:

http://www.amiga-news.de/de/news/comments/251521.html

(Working links to video:
    http://www.boingsworld.de/video/AmigaEvent2010Essen.ogg
    http://www.boingsworld.de/video/AmigaEvent2010Essen.mp4 )

Some statements issued by "the son of the guy that runs XMOS" some weeks before:
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/173959.shtml
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/174092.shtml
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/174154.shtml
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/174180.shtml

> netbook/notebook does not seem like A-Eon thing.

True, it's been announced as a Hyperion thing. But I suspect that sales are supposed to be handled by AmigaKit.
  • »09.05.12 - 22:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think they showed it somewhere already.

Yes, 2 months ago there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5LLqe62_J8
  • »09.05.12 - 22:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> I wonder what ACube will do for the successor to the 1.15 GHz Sam460ex, if there'll
    > be one that is. Let's see if they'll stay with Applied Micro and opt for the 1.2 GHz Mamba
    > and maybe overclock it like they did with the PPC440EP and PPC460EX chips on the
    > previous Sam boards so they can get it to some 1.4 GHz, or turn to another CPU vendor.

No overclocking of 1.2 GHz Mamba to 1.4 GHz needed as APM86691 and APM86692 ("Black Mamba") got announced running at up to 1.4 GHz:

http://investor.apm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=78121&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1702760
    http://www.apm.com/products/embedded/multicore460/apm86692/

So for now the PacketPro family of chips has those members:

APM86190 (Green Mamba, single-core)
    APM86290 (Green Mamba, dual-core)
    APM8639x (Diamondback, single-core and dual-core)
    APM86491 (Catalina, single-core)
    APM8669x (Black Mamba, single-core and dual-core)
    APM86791 (Keelback, single-core)

I assume that there's an APM8659x still to come ;-)
  • »05.06.12 - 21:34