Can we finally stop talks about PS3 port of MorphOS for good
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    As OtherOS will be removed (which came as a surprise, at least to me), can we finally stop all crazy talks about PS3 port of MorphOS for good?

Not saying it was a good idea ever anyway...
  • »29.03.10 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Yes we can, but can we now talk about iBook G4 port :D

Anyone want to gues how long until first lawsuit drops on Sony on this matter?
  • »29.03.10 - 12:36
    Golem
    @Jupp3

Huh? Who was talking about that?
  • »29.03.10 - 13:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    yes i don't get the point. maybe you got confused with amigaOS4 ?
    i don't remember anyone "serious" talking about a ps3 port.
  • »29.03.10 - 14:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

As OtherOS will be removed (which came as a surprise, at least to me), can we finally stop all crazy talks about PS3 port of MorphOS for good?

You are wrong... our meme is "MorphOS license should be personal and not by machine"...
  • »29.03.10 - 15:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I think the idea behind this thread is to save time whining about a PS3 port, in order to whine more abot an x86 port.

(me ducks)
  • »29.03.10 - 16:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As OtherOS will be removed (which came as a surprise, at least to me)

I'm suprised as well, especially considering http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2010-February/007202.html (original quote from August 2009).
    On the other hand, that's obviously a consequence of the recent hypervisor hacking by Geohot. As I see now, it had been rumoured in February: http://www.ps3hax.net/2010/02/rumor-sony-to-block-otheros-support-next-firmware-update/

> can we finally stop all crazy talks about PS3 port of MorphOS for good?

Haven't seen such talks in a while, especially not since the Slim variant has been out.
  • »29.03.10 - 16:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Screw PS3, we want PowerBook port :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »29.03.10 - 16:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That would seem to be the death knell of PS3 hacking. It's a pity that Sony insists that such powerful hardware be limited to playing video games.

And I don't actually remember a great deal of talk about a Playstation 3 port.
    I do remember bringing up the Cell processor. I also remember dropping the idea when it became apparent that IBM wasn't interested in supporting any applications it hadn't reviewed and approved.
    As to MorphOS ports, personally I'd love to see ports to anything that featured a PPC processor, but realistically there's only so much that a small team of developers can do (especially if they want to do it well).

Frankly, I've just settled for waiting for the Powermac port (I've got the hardware at home and I'm waiting patiently). If a Powerbook port eventually occurs that would be great. Portable MorphOS!
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.03.10 - 18:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Indeed the first portable Amigaoid OS EVA!

Well apart from AROS, and assorted bonkers a600s in a case sort of thing. And WinUAE running on a standard Windows install running AmigaOS3.9 etc etc. :-?
  • »29.03.10 - 20:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    YES PLEASE this isnt aw.net ...
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »29.03.10 - 23:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Last Christmas I was seriously considering buying a PS3 as a relatively inexpensive Blu-Ray player with the added benefit of being able to play PS3 games, but when I found out that the new model no longer allowed the installation of "Other OS" and I would not also be able to use it as a Linux box, I decided to forget about it and just pick up a refurbished older model some day. Now that idea is no longer feasible as any refurbished models will most likely have the update installed and will also not be able to install an "Other OS". Oh well, that just saved me some money and the wasted time of playing games on yet another platform. I will just get a Blu-Ray player for my PC instead.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.03.10 - 01:29
    xyphoid
    has it been tinkered with anyway? I like the re-serging system, remotes like wii now
    hey 3.2ghz ppc is appealing whatever it's in.
  • »03.10.10 - 20:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > has it been tinkered with anyway?

In case you refer to MorphOS port to PS3 I'd say no, judging from a recent posting by Piru:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=582146

> 3.2ghz ppc is appealing whatever it's in.

Mind you that the Cell's PPU only offers in-order execution, i.e. less performance per clock, while most other Power Architecture CPUs are out-of-order designs. So you can't compare clock by clock, even less than between two different out-of-order designs that is.
  • »03.10.10 - 21:49
    xyphoid
    quote > At least we're not financially ruined for spending hundreds of thousands of euros trying to build custom PowerPC HW, nor have we spent the crucial development resources on yet another miniscule platform.

the ever flamboyant Piru still though better than his usual "no!" so hope then Andreas :-?
  • »03.10.10 - 22:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > better than his usual "no!" so hope then Andreas :-?

I think it depends whether Piru's "Maybe something will come along or maybe not" refers to future PPC hardware or to a future MorphOS port to (recent or future) PPC hardware. If the former then it's essentially a "no" to a MorphOS port to PS3, because the PS3 is already there for years. If the latter then I'd say it's exactly that: a "maybe".
  • »03.10.10 - 22:15
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I don't remember too much discussion about porting to the PS3. That machine doesn't have enough memory.
    I did spend some time making legitimate inquiries about the Cell processor and I still contend that that processor would make a great base for MorphOS (there is only one real CPU, the SPUs are little more than specialized co-processors - perfect for an OS that only supports one processor core).

But, yes, we finished this thread long ago because without approval from IBM it ain't happening. How did this get dredged up again, because we have moved on.

I think the majority of recent posts have focused on Applied Micro and Freescale processors. At least the later is obtainable.
  • »04.10.10 - 02:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we finished this thread long ago because without approval from
    > IBM it ain't happening.

Huh? Why should IBM's approval be needed to port an OS to the PS3, which *this thread* is about?

> How did this get dredged up again, because we have moved on.

It seems there're still people hoping for a MorphOS port to PS3, like xyphoid who therefore dredged this thread up again. I'm not one of those because 256 MiB RAM is too little also for my taste.

> Applied Micro and Freescale processors. At least the later is obtainable.

Problem is that obtainable processors don't automatically make obtainable boards or systems that are suited for desktop computing. That's the real crux of the situation. And the MorphOS Team's (current) stance to only port to (former) mainstream systems doesn't change that either.
  • »04.10.10 - 02:57
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Very true about board level products we can consider using. There just isn't much that would be practical.
    As to the PS3, it wasn't my intent to suggest that IBM's approval would be necessary to port to that (I think that would be Sony's call). What I meant was using the Cell would require IBM's approval. They made this point very clear to me. They hadn't ruled out its use in other consumer devices, but they didn't market it broadly. In fact, they told me they didn't have the documentation prepared to market the product that way. Rather, they preferred to qualify applications and only partner with companiess that they thought stood a good chance of making a decent return on investment.
    I think after getting burned more than once in the PC market, IBM has decided to maintain a more involvement/control over their IP.
    From a management and corporate culture perspective, IBM is a very intriguing company. They've made some great decisions and some poor ones, but I can't think of any other company that has more impact on the industry or one that has remained successful as long.
  • »04.10.10 - 04:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As to the PS3, it wasn't my intent to suggest that IBM's approval would be necessary
    > to port to that [...]. What I meant was using the Cell would require IBM's approval.

So I take it you really meant to say "that other thread" (which was about using the Cell processor in own hardware designs) when writing "this thread" (which is about MorphOS port to PS3).

> I think that would be Sony's call

Considering that several Linux distributions run on the PS3's hypervisor in (the meanwhile abandoned in PS3 Slim and recent firmware versions) "OtherOS" mode I don't even think that Sony's approval would be needed. Getting an OS to run in "GameOS" mode however would be another matter altogether, which I doubt Sony would ever allow.
  • »04.10.10 - 06:04
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Getting an OS to run in "GameOS" mode however would be another matter altogether, which I doubt Sony would ever allow.

Your right about that. Sony has managed to keep information on how to directly access video, audio and other hardware away from third party developers. At this stage in its lifecycle its completely unlikely that Sony will ever support open development.
  • »05.10.10 - 02:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Sony has managed to keep information on how to directly access video,
    > audio and other hardware away from third party developers.

Yes, that's the second (but weaker) part of Sony's security measure. Even if you succeeded in circumventing or hacking the hypervisor to run your OS in "GameOS" mode and thus were able to access the PS3's bare metal you'd still need documentation to program it.
    Btw, there had been a semi-successful approach in the past to access the GPU directly from within Linux running in "OtherOS" mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRLsB2q7QY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJQkXmG6UTI

Sony killed this with a firmware upgrade, as usual.
  • »05.10.10 - 02:47
    xyphoid
    ubuntu threads show it working, but as you stated the 512meg ram total just won't do. they talked about thumb drives to hold whatever and helping the mem even while browsing. I had to upgrade my mini to 1gig and even that isn't enough at times. I like to open everything and not worry.
    here's hoping for a viable option in the future. 1.83ghz or better
  • »05.10.10 - 02:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > ubuntu threads show it working

Show what working?

> as you stated the 512meg ram total

I stated only 256 MiB RAM. But you're right that the 256 MiB VRAM can be used as system RAM which gives 512 MiB RAM in total.

> just won't do.

512 MiB would only just do it I think. But that depends on usage pattern.

> they talked about thumb drives to hold whatever and helping the
    > mem even while browsing.

Probably slow as hell.

> I had to upgrade my mini to 1gig and even that isn't enough at times.

I usually only run out of my 1 GiB RAM when using programs which have memory leaks.

> here's hoping for a viable option in the future. 1.83ghz or better

CPU upgrades for G4 PowerMacs are available up to 2.0 GHz.
  • »05.10.10 - 03:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I thought the 2.0Ghz CPU upgrades for the G4 PowerMacs were said to probably not be supported by MorphOS due the model of G4 chip?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.10.10 - 06:01