MorphOS on MacMini - Who's bought their Mini already?
  • ZB
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    Quote:

I can't wait any longer MOS Team !!!
    Publish it...

Ok.

;-)
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »26.03.09 - 14:07
  • Just looking around
    martinalexander
    Quote:

Please add your name to this list if you have a G4 PPC MacMini and are waiting to purchase a license for MorphOS3.0.

You can probably soon add me to the list, looking like a mad man for a used Mac Mini :lol: !
  • »26.03.09 - 18:10
  • Just looking around
    trehune
    I have a iBook G4 waiting for MOS. Will buy MOS immediately when released for this awesome hardware.
  • »26.03.09 - 19:26
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    You should really update your Mac mini to 1 GByte RAM, it makes quite a difference in OSX. On my mini Leopard runs quite good, i like the workflow even on this low-end (for OSX) machine.

I don't really want to break out the pallet knife out and open the thing, But knowing me I will sometime. About the same time I get a 1/2 tertabyte hard drive and try to set up (in an ideal world!) MorphOS/MacOS X/Linux/AmigaOS4.1(oh yes) quad boot!

Ooh I'm just having a nerd tingle thinking about it!
  • »26.03.09 - 22:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a 1/2 tertabyte hard drive

Does such thing for PATA in 2.5 inch size exist at all? I thought 250 GB was max, some even claim to have 320 GB, but 500 GB?
  • »26.03.09 - 22:44
    analogkid
    @stephen_robinson:

"I don't really want to break out the pallet knife out and open the thing"

You don't need any knife to open the case, just your two hands. You don't even need a screwdriver to change the RAM. Changing the HD isn't that easy, because you've to loose 5 or 6 screws.

@Andreas_Wolf:

You're right, most vendors only offer upto 250gb 2,5" PATA drives. There's only one vendor, who offers a bigger drive with PATA (WD, 320 GB, as you"ve said). But that's the limit, if you want to have a bigger drive, you'll have to get an external firewire or usb drive.
  • »27.03.09 - 07:01
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    @analogkid
    How do you open MacMini with your bare hands?
  • »27.03.09 - 13:02
    stephen_robinson
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Does such thing for PATA in 2.5 inch size exist at all? I thought 250 GB was max, some even claim to have 320 GB, but 500 GB?

This may suprise you, but I did just pull that figure, out of my, err the air. Does it really matter?

It'll be intresting to see if Snow Leopard does drop PPC support, http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/12/mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-confirmed-to-be-intel-only/ Should be mean a drop in the prices of second hand top end MAC stuff.

So maybe now wasn't a good idea to buy myself a PPC G4 1.33 powerbook, oh well.
  • »27.03.09 - 22:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does it really matter?

You should know. After all, you are the one who said he was going to upgrade one day.
  • »27.03.09 - 23:01
    analogkid
    @Painkiller

It was quite easy to put my fingers between the "backplate" and the top part of the cast, and open it via hand. Maybe it was open before (but all exchangable parts were original Apple), but i don't think so.
  • »28.03.09 - 15:22
    Kronos
    @stephen_robinson

Woh !!!! Linking to a 9 months old piece of gossip ......

SnowCat might drop support for some/all G4s, but I doubt it'll drop G5-support.
  • »28.03.09 - 22:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metalmac
    I will probably bye my parents Mac mini G4 1,25Ghz when they are gona upgrade :-)
    And hopefuly then MOS 3 is here!

My Amiga mediacenter dream lives on!
    PowerBook G4@1.5Ghz, 1Gb ram, MorphOS 3.12
    Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz, 500Mb HD, 6mb RAM, Workbench 3.1
    AspireOne, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Icaros Desktop
    AmigaOne 500, 2Gb ram, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
  • »29.03.09 - 09:31
    stephen_robinson
    @Kronos

What has the age of the gossip got to do with it?

All PPC Mac Minis are G4. So if the newist version of MacOSX does not run on peoples aging little Macs they're more likey to upgrade. Which in terns means second hand Mac Minis will become more available/cheaper.

Now I'm sure you're a resonably intelligent person, who's worked out why I mentioned Snow Leopard possibly dropping PPC support, but I just thought I'd spell it out in case you weren't.

And you're an moderator too! No wonder this place is so busy!

[ Edited by stephen_robinson on 2009/3/29 9:32 ]
  • »29.03.09 - 14:30
    Golem
    So moderators are only allowed to moderate here? No postings? I see you're not a moderator, and you get to decide that, but feel restricted in posting here? :)
  • »29.03.09 - 15:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I seriously doubt no support for G4 in the next OS X release will have a major impact to the ppc Mac mini market. The g4 maschines are out of date anyway. Thope ppl who do every OS update cycle have bought new maschines already. The others don't care. And I bet that the majority of all g4 Mac minis used today run OS 10.4 not 10.5. Moreover, the Minis are dirt cheap anyway.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.03.09 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
    stephen_robinson
    Sure Moderators can contribute, but what they shouldn't do is write agresive, pointless snidey comments such as the above.

Compaire the inteligent reasoned comments by Zylesea to

"Woh !!!! Linking to a 9 months old piece of gossip ......

SnowCat might drop support for some/all G4s, but I doubt it'll drop G5-support."

A nice little sarcist Woh!!! mentiong the age of the gossip, as if I'd linked to another discussion page that 2 days old, or 18 months old as if that would make a difference.

Then theres a complete non sequetor in mentioning the G5, what's that got to with the exclusively G4 macmini?

So in two sentances it's agresive and, well, stupid. Where was the agression in any of my posts? I'm trying to be helpful, I'm trying to bring in food for thought, I try to help people with problems in other threads, sure I may be an clumsy oaf who's not helping, but I've never been so negative to someone as that moderator was with me.

Even more worrying I have in the past mentioned that I run both Amiga OS4.1 and MorphOS and have not expressed a preference towards MorphOS*, Is that the reason for the attack?

Or am making a mountain out of molehil?

Probably.
    :-D

* In fact I like each as about much as the other, they're both good OSs
  • »29.03.09 - 16:39
    Kronos
    Some ageing "article" claiming that Snow-Lepoard would drop ALL PPC-support, completly ignoring the still quite powerfull G5-based Macs is pure nonsense (at the best, some might even call it FUD). So Snow-Leopard WILL have some sort of PPC-support, wether it will actually run on/support the various G4-based Macs is to be seen.

I would very much prefer if people were mking up their own mind instead of just linking to dubious facts (like explaining what parts of the Mini aren't suitable for the next OSX in your mind).
  • »29.03.09 - 16:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    I've been keeping an eye on Mac mini G4's on ebay. There doesn't seem to be many 1.5Ghz models around lately. I hope it's because potential MorphOS users have been snapping them up ;-)
    It's amazing how much money even low specced ones have been going for considering their age. Well I think it's quite a lot of money anyway - over ?200 for a five year old 1.25Ghz G4.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.04.09 - 23:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > five year old 1.25Ghz G4.

It's little older than 4 years. Introduction was in January 2005.
  • »16.04.09 - 23:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > five year old 1.25Ghz G4.

It's little older than 4 years. Introduction was in January 2005.

Ooops yeah you're right of course but still it's not exactly brand new is it?
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.04.09 - 23:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I have a 750GB HDD in my modded Xbox. Hint: It's not a SATA drive. :-D

[ Edited by HenryCase on 2009/4/17 0:51 ]
  • »17.04.09 - 00:49
    Golem
    @HenryCase

Now tell us how you would fit that in a mini. (read the post you are replying to, maybe take a look here)
  • »17.04.09 - 01:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have a 750GB HDD in my modded Xbox. Hint: It's not a SATA drive.

Then take a hint from me: Whip your ruler out and try again.
  • »17.04.09 - 03:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    This post made me register here.

I already have a PPC MacMini.

I got back to Amiga stuff a few months ago and I wanna have one! So because I have two production computers home already, I do not want yet another. Especially if MorphOS is said to be coming for my Mac.

I was informed that MorphOS is being done for Macs, also AmigaOS is possible. So I wait. The first one, the better one, as simple as that.

At the end of the summer, if nothing appears on MacMini (I mean neither appears), I'll try to get myself sam440, depending on funds, then or a bit later.

[ Edited by DiskDoctor on 2009/4/17 20:22 ]
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »17.04.09 - 19:21