The future of MorphOS?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    You know your right, I will wait and see but I fear the worst is still yet to come. Its all just a waiting game from here on out. Lets just hope we win this game right?
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »17.11.04 - 06:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I am just thinking about...

And I have a good question: What for should Genesi pay those 4 men?

PS: please, don't tell me that bbrv owe them money etc... THAT IS NOT AN ANSWER! I mean that all of you won't pay for demoversion of windows! I am just exaggerating about demoversion and windows, but I need that to be understandable.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »17.11.04 - 07:09
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Nitro
    @ Qmaster
    That is the way things are becoming with betas. SkyOS and Zeta are two, that are beta, and you have to pay for. SkyOS is like 30 euro, and Zeta was 90 euro, last time I looked.
  • »17.11.04 - 08:20
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

Nitro wrote:
    @ Qmaster
    That is the way things are becoming with betas. SkyOS and Zeta are two, that are beta, and you have to pay for. SkyOS is like 30 euro, and Zeta was 90 euro, last time I looked.

Ok. But I think that previous beta should differ from current, or else there is the same beta with just next subversion number.
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »17.11.04 - 08:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    Nitro, I got Zeta for beta testing (on i386 ofcourse )...but it is full with bugs..it didnt even boot on the new AMD's and Pentium4's.
    I tried on different machines..and I got it work on a old Pentium III, look like there is no difference with the older BeOS...
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »17.11.04 - 10:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    If Dave, had enabled the edit function as we wanted last night we would change the name of this thread to:

MorphOS is dead, long live MOPRHOS! :-)

MorphOS is not dead. MorphOS hit a bump in the road -- a BIG bump -- but it is not dead and will not die. Please no more rampant speculation. David Gerber took a selfish and unnecessary step. No one demanded that he kept working on MorphOS during this period, nor did we ask Stefan to do so. We hope we can work things out with David. We are pretty close with Stefan already. The problem for David is now his relationship with the others on the core team. Hopefully, we will be able to chalk it up as a bad experience for everyone. Be certain though that whatever happens in the weeks ahead if things go well it had nothing to do with what he did to morphos.net and if things go poorly it was because of what he did. We are confident that the only real issue left is Ambient. We think we have the MUI issues almost settled.

R&B
  • »17.11.04 - 11:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    @bbrv

Would be great if all of you - yourself, David & Stefan and Ralph & Frank - could come to an agreement which would allow you to continue as if nothing had happened; I hope all of you will be able to defer your pride in favour of MorphOS. So thanks for your professionalism to stay open for any solution instead of simply dropping them and going with AROS.

Besides MUI, also Ambient - especially the features the internal version seems to have - is very valueable, IMHO, so I'd love to see it kept a part of MorphOS.

Maybe, if Genesi still is lacking the money to pay David, the Pegasos could still be delivered with the current version of Ambient for the time being and the update for Ambient sold as shareware? Of course just as a temporary solution, since I'd like to see Ralph & Frank having the greatness to forgive David for this stunt and to keep him in the core team.
  • »17.11.04 - 12:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ah ok now It's clear.
    So some have worked for themself without any relation with Genesi. It's always a stupid idea to work for a company when you have no job lol
    They may sell their work to customers or a third party because we are waiting for a morphos update.
    But maybe Genesi has a parallele team that has worked on an update this year and then It's perfect (I mean a paid team not a team with people that kept working with no demand).
    If nothing has been done this year, I hope Genesi will buy an update because I don't buy a pegasos if no morphos updates are about to come. Resellers are also in trouble for this reason.
    I hope no components are licensed by a person in trouble with Genesi...Maybe you can tell us precisions about who is owning what (I mean with a legal point of view) then we will be partially reassured.

Good luck for the next stage :-P
    When Dre@ms Com3 Tru3!!!
  • »17.11.04 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Robert
    Just noticed this addition on morphos.net:
    Quote:

2004-11-17: Genesi is setting up a fake website claiming they own MorphOS. By doing so, they infringes on our copyright. Any version of MorphOS distributed with a new Pegasos is illegal since our contracts have not been honoured. Licenses are withdrawn

Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop here and have been trying to catch up with the salient points (not easy with all the mud flying around) but this is worrying me. :-/
    --
    Robert.
  • »17.11.04 - 14:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @bbrv

> Bertrand, [...] The last three months were not been paid by us, but you did get paid by the Government (as we did not default on our responsibilities there)

Due to his status, the french state didn't have to pay him. He never got a single euro.

> Mark, [...] You were left with 3000 Euros unpaid (not included in the previous number), which was paid to you by the Government.

In an illegal move, the manager of Thendic-France faked his signature on a legal paper claiming he was fully paid. As a consequence, the french state never paid him.

It's possible to believe you didn't know and you were fooled yourself. But, in any case, you should never write this sort of message in a public forum. Just my opinion.

[ Edited by Henes on 2004/11/17 19:04 ]
  • »17.11.04 - 17:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Senex wrote:

Besides MUI, also Ambient - especially the features the internal version seems to have - is very valueable, IMHO, so I'd love to see it kept a part of MorphOS.

Well I really hope he actually has been working all the time and has something good and well worked through to deliver us after this, if he and Genesi/MorphOS crew would actually reach an agreement!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.11.04 - 17:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    As if this MorphOS chaos wasn't enough!..

The first snow is falling on the Swedish West Coast and it is
    total traffic chaos here!

I couldn't drive my car all the way home from work, had to park it
    at a gas station nearby and walk up the hill..

Blue and orange flashing lights everywhere.. and.. wet snow..

Of course I drive a BMW with 225 mm wide summer tyres.. :)

[ Edited by ironfist on 2004/11/17 19:55 ]

[ Edited by ironfist on 2004/11/17 19:56 ]
  • »17.11.04 - 18:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    lisardman
    much snow here too..

but I always got a wintercar with constant winter tyres.. and RWD.

This was a little OT but. I think we have an intresting time ahead of us...
  • »17.11.04 - 19:43
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ple3003
    Haha i got to say that was a sudden switch of topic!!
    But i can only say YES!

Let´s not add more fuel to this fire - let it burn out by itself.
    If you all behave (not pointing any fingers here :-P , maybe we'll get a nice present for christmas (hint hint!))

We got like half a meter of snow up here in northern sweden. It just fell down over nigt! crazy!
    Some of the ski-slopes is opened up already.
    Yesterday, i caught myself whisseling jingle-bells while out smoking. hehe...
    I eat people like you for breakfast ;-)
  • »17.11.04 - 20:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    No snow here, only rain, rain, rain. I got so wet while cycling home,
    I still feel cold.
    Once I'll finished my work here (I guess still three years to go for
    my PhD) I will settle over to the meditarian see. Not sure if Italy,
    France, Spain, Portugal or Greece. Currently I think the area between
    Imperia/San Remo and Nice/Cannes would be nice, but Madeira or Crete
    doesn't sound bad either (and I love Barcelona, coolest city beside
    Manchester (if only Manchester would be in the south...)). If I hate
    one thing, then it is winter, i will never miss it if there wouldn't
    be one. Days are short and it's cold and wet, there is nothing,
    absolutely nothing, good in winter. Waiting for the next summer.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.11.04 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    niteman1969
    Well lets hope everything is now on the right
    track and we hear some good news soon.

I for one will not be sitting on my laurels or
    selling my Pegasos anytime soon for a vastly
    reduced amount.

In fact I think that if this is not resolved and
    MorphOS has no further development then every Pegasos user could probably legally
    claim a full refund from Genesi as Morphos in
    its current version is not fully featured as
    currently advertised on any of the Pegasos
    Websites.

I for one would not like to take this action
    as it would kill the Pegasos and Genesi for
    good.

The company and its machine is now hanging
    by wether this MorphOS issue can be resolved.

And enough of telling us to Calm Down please.

I for one spent

£400+ for mainboard
    £60 for Ram
    £85 for aria case
    £28 for Radeon 7000
    £100 for 160gb Hd
    £45 for DVD-Rom/CD-RW combo drive.

And that was only 6 weeks ago so I am
    understandably very upset at this news.

I was not expecting to buy a system that
    would become defunct almost as soon as
    I bought it.

Because as far as i am concerned MorphOS
    at the moment is functional but broken.

Until it can at least print..............

Regards

Niteman1969
    Pegasos II / G4 1Ghz / 512mb PC3200 Ram / Radeon 7000 64mb Agp/ 160gb SeagateHD / Toshiba 1512 Dvd Rom / Aria Case

MorphOS 1.4.2 / Debian Sarge Linux Soon
    got 14 cd iso files to download = 9gb ........lol
  • »18.11.04 - 01:33
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    I have been talking with some random people in the Open Source and Free Software world about MorphOS (just some promotion smalltalks). And they are quite aware of the current situation and started to make quite insulting jokes like this is what happens if things are kept Closed Source. And even after explaining them the situation (more or less) telling them that the two people involved are not necessary speaking for every MorphOS developer and participant makes them even joking more. They ough to believe what's written on morphos.net rather than being interested in the global picture. I think that morphos.net must be shut down or the old page returned because it's more than hurting. Hurting the name Amiga, hurting the name MorphOS, hurting the entire movement. If you plan to cooperate with people from the Open Source and Free Software world then they advise and tell you that they are not interested to work with you anymore because it would just waste their time to help one for an OS that is dead (as people declare it). Please accept my rationale feedback here. You can't go out somewhere to someones IRC channel without getting a red face or feel stupid as soon as you mention MorphOS.
  • »18.11.04 - 01:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Don't go to Greece, just move down here at Nottingham. :-) We didn't have any heavy
    rainfall so far, the weather has been quite nice during my stay here.
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »18.11.04 - 02:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • opi
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    opi
    Quote:

And they are quite aware of the current situation and started to make quite insulting jokes like this is what happens if things are kept Closed Source.

Same here. We should notice that Genesi want to deploy on Linux market. With sutch things on the network, it will be mutch harder.

Plus, Open Source & Free software movements are developer driven, so they tend to belive more in what other developers have to say, rather then CEO's.
  • »18.11.04 - 05:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Same in France where the pegasos is much popular than AOne/OS4. Nobody want to buy a machine with such problems with the operating system.

But these events are normal. BBRV said that he hasn't paid for this year of morphos development as he doesn't ask them anything. So It's normal they won't give their one year work for free!
    I don't find any reason for them to give ambient and MUI updates for free to Genesi who hasn't employed/paid them...

So where is the polemic? Genesi don't pay for an update and they don't give it. All is normal in business terms.
    The internal problem is about what they say in morphos.net, but I don't want to know if It's true that BBRV promise them some amounts...It's really an Genesi internal problem I don't want to know anything about it. Or if they want to communicate efficiently they should tell us who is owning what in morphos and licences morphos is developped under. They also can speak about their promises to the MOS Team and the most important point : WHY THEY ARE WAITING FOR MONEY IF THEY DON'T WORK OR HAVE NO CONTRACTS WITH GENESI???????????????????

Thanx to answer that, then we will have a better view or stop talking about it...

[ Edited by tetuzo on 2004/11/18 8:56 ]
    When Dre@ms Com3 Tru3!!!
  • »18.11.04 - 07:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Bad publicity comes and goes, once the problems are solved and things get normal again, people will forget about this.

- I think that the text at morphos.net is just the final escalation of a long lasting conflict we just never really percepted because it was a rather internal discussion.

And the MOS-Team doesn´t seem to be the only ones, who never got paid so I´d say: Blame yourselves Genesi!

Actually I like the thought of MOS going open source... thats not a bad option.
    . forward for the dream .
  • »18.11.04 - 16:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    @Nowee

I do not understand why you make these kind of 'accusation' comments at the end of your post?

Posting comments like this that you cannot prove only make you look bad.

I highly doubt bbrv would be able to continue working in the USA, making deals with freescale and demoing the pegasos to government representatives with what you are implying.
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »19.11.04 - 15:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    @Darth_X

Genesi is a company, is their responsability pay their debts, if they not payed their employers, those people will do the necessary for be payed the unpaid money. If Genesi not pay, they can say it and others. I think that Genesi know that people can do if they are unpaid.
  • »19.11.04 - 18:18
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    If I had a $1 for every negative wave you put out there I would be able to buy the Peagasos and Morph OS in a matter of days. :-D

Genesi says they are paid up for 1.4. So, if they want to get paid they should pony up 1.5, unless of course its not ready, complete or even been started. I would not pay someone for something they haven't delivered, completed etc..... :-o

If it is ready, they should put it forward. Then they would be in a position to say we weren't paid. But, if they don't deliver, why should they get paid?
  • »20.11.04 - 03:53