MorphOS Prime Time!
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    Dear Golem,

i don't care if you beleive or not . . . . ask to BB, he knows what i'm spaking about.

Bye
  • »22.07.04 - 17:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    @Framiga

I believe we are trying to get this thread back on topic, If you have something to add to the overall discussion please feel free to post. otherwise maybe you should start a new thread or re-energize a past thread which deals with the topic you noted. Thank You.

Katos1

[ Edited by katos1 on 2004/7/22 12:14 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 17:04
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Targhan,
    thanks for saying what I was thinking :D

@DaveP

Absolutely you are welcome here, well assuming you avoid the flamebait stuff like 'apparaently it doesn't work!'

I suggest you read another thread here, since you share common opinions with many a frustrated MorphOS user and OS4/ MorphOS share a lot of common ground...especially finding a springboard to grow the user base:

MorphOS is here, what about Genesi?

People are facing up to harsh realities, all we look for are solutions to overcome them.

Your accusation of Genesi thinking small really doesn't ring true - many things are being tried both large and small. It remains to be seen whether the recent narrowing in focus will pay off or not.

Welcome,

Steve

I don't post much over at AW.net but I usually read the updates...to try and keep abreast of what's happening in 'user land' for OS4.
  • »22.07.04 - 17:11
    guruman
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    Say goodbye to your Peg2 board!

To the others Peg2 owners . . . PRAY that they never need to be repaired . . . .as already said, the company name is different . . .not the habit.

Good luck anyway

Sorry, Framiga, if you like to troll, do it the right way. Which part of
    Quote:

it lasted 4 weeks

you did not understand? Let me explain it to you: after 4 weeks Ingo got the Pegasos back. He is still waiting for the FirmWare upgrade (but SW development takes time, as you should know), but his Pegasos is not MIA. For your information, there have already been some Pegasos users who had to return their board, but all have been successfully repaired/replaced. Your problems with DCE are totally irrelevat, bPlan is behaving nicely to date.
    So, try to read and understand what you are quoting, before making such accusations...

And as usual, with every trollish comment you write here, I have to advice everybody to get back on topic; it is also more interesting, BTW.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »22.07.04 - 17:16
  • Just looking around
    DaveP
    Thanks, the apparently it does not work was followed by a zillion questionmarks because I couldn't quite believe what I was reading about LinuxPPC.

Certainly not intentional flamebait, if I was using intentional flamebait I am sure even my detractors will agree I often do it far better than that ;-)

Dave.
    Fully paid up card holding authorized, certified, red troll ( apparently ).
  • »22.07.04 - 17:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    The PearPC idea is good.

I'm sure there are endless reason why people
    would like to try out MOS without buying a pegasos.

Some examples:

-Unbelieable but true, some webmaster are willing
    to make their website accessable with many browsers.
    With MOS/PearPC they would have the chance to test
    the website with MOS without spending money.

-Some dedicated Amiga developers still have no Pegasos.
    The Aweb crew for example. Many of them have PC's.
    With MOS on Pear they could test their AWEB releases on MOS.

-I do only very little coding on MOS.
    And my C skills are medium level at best - but some of my friends
    code C for a living. They all have PCs. With MOS on Pear I could send them
    an archive of MOS including my sources and they could not only remotely
    help me to debug my code - they could run it on MOS. :-)

I wrote just a few things which came to my mind in the very first minute.
    I'm sure we can find many more uses of MOS/PearPC.

Cheers
    Gunnar
  • »22.07.04 - 17:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Woah!

I leave the net for a couple of days and all hell breaks loose! Controversy on MZ :-o

Ok to gather my thoughts somewhat:

1. MOS 1.5 -
    Is being developed daily but these things take time. There are some real genius coders working on it but they are only human. IMO the main barrier for MOS atm is lack of a real web browser - this is MOST critical for any real market penetration outside of highly specialized embedded or kiosk type applications.

2. Bplan and repairs:

A. DCE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BPLAN. BPLAN RENTS THE FACILITY FOR PRODUCTION RUNS

B. Bplan ALWAYS fixes boards and are very good reliable people. (see 1 above) but it is only a handful of people and these things take time. Keep in mind they are right in the middle of a major (and most important to date) order with Freescale/Motorola

3. Pegasos2 Seg Faults/ Ram problems:

In some configurations with more than 512mb ram and 2 sticks you get random crashes and seg faults but this is fixed with upcoming OF update.

I have built and run many Pegasos 2 boxes and used ram from Infineon, PNY, Corsair, Samsung (the best imo) and more and they all have worked great and reliably.

I run 2.6.6 kernel here daily and as my main box, i've had uptimes of two weeks and more!

4. DaveP : :-?

<sigh> Is obviously an intelligent person with a knowledge of computers and the industry. HOWEVER, he has banned me from aw.net for posting half the things he posted here AND has spread many False and Damadging rumours about Genesi/bplan and MOS. This is fact. Of course we dont operate like aw.net and all opinions are welcome here. (Why is he here is the real mystery)

5. Future Shock:

Well, it may take a year for MOS to be where Genesi wants it to be for market appeal. I think thats what BBRV meant. There are major features being worked on atm and these will take a while.
    Genesi has taken many angles in the marketplace with the Pegasos technology and sooner or later will score big! (/me hopes_)

** I'd like to add this to give the MOS users hope. BBRV, Paul Adams, and myself have taken many high level meetings with people in the forefront of the communications, media, scientific, gaming, and computer industries. Everyone I presented MOS to was astounded. I dont mean just interested but WOW!

People do want alternatives. M$ is flatlining - Apple is doing great things and is gaining ground - Linux is becoming a people's movement - there is wiggle room for MOS in the market on several levels, both end user and industrial.

"You guys are leading the pack in the business for alternative operating systems. This is one of the most impressive operating systems we have seen in a long time"
    --- A Senior V.P @ Atari

"Your operating system is most impressive and the speed is blinding - with more resources and time it could be a force in the market" -- Head of New Product Development for Virgin media group

etc. etc..

(i've probably said enough) :-D

magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2004/7/22 13:20 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »22.07.04 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @Framiga

I ask you to start an own thread about the problem you are talking about, and while saying so, I also ask you to stop posting in this thread IF you really have no other issue to add than the one you keep repeating all the time. The one which is as offtopic as it possibly can be as MorphOS has not much to do with DCE the last time I checked.

Now you're free to go shout on all other forums how I censored you.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »22.07.04 - 18:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Magnetic: what people would like to see is *something* I guess...

All we get is words: words that MOS 1.5 is being worked on, words that some (well, at least one) companies maybe interested in MorphOS, words that Pegasos are being built and sold all over the world, etc...

Don't get me wrong: that's nice to hear that... But it's been now one year since MOS got a real update, Pegasos are still available (for simple users) with big delays, dealers still seem to have relation-problems with Genesi,...

Maybe you see things are moving... But the simple user doesn't see anything, since one year.

@bbrv: now that you have brought the subject, could you give more details about this major company ?

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »22.07.04 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    @ Magnetic

about # (5. Future Shock) thanks for the encouragement!!!

Yet I don't think that the "controversy" on Morphzone has much to do with the future, past or present. BBRV asked an open ended question and received open ended comments some of which came from "left field," others came directly from the hearts of Mos Users.

Maybe next time BBRV starts an open ended discussion, they will pose their question in a way (and/or give more information) that would help focus its direction ( before their are 20 posts ;-) .) With all the feeling within this community it doesn't take long for a thread such as this to generate controversy or attract sideliners.

katos
  • »22.07.04 - 18:58
  • Just looking around
    DaveP
    @magnetic

Why am I here? Well some say that life began when the big bang exploded, galaxies were formed, then stars then planets from the debris and eventually, surprisingly, life formed on one planet in one star system quite a few billion years ago.

To cut a long story short, my dad met my mother, got married and had me four years later in 1974. I was born at home, Im sure it was agony, I mean getting this big old head outta there must have been painful.

I was of course born with all the knowledge and wisdom, of solomon and the arrogance of an italian software developer. Im unbearably cute and quite lippy, as is the fashion of my people.

Thus I grew into the egocentric megalomaniac... oh whats that? You didn't mean that? Thank god you stopped me before I went into full flow ;-) Ok, those that have a hard time handling self deprecation, fish out your magnets for the irony detection game.

As for your banning, if you'd have posted what I posted here in this style and quality and with the low frequency with which I post such comments on morphzone ( check my history ) and with the level of reason then you wouldn't have been suspended by anyone. What, 3 times was it? I haven't once posted FACT followed by flamebait, or been rude to moderation staff. Oh hang on, maybe I just did.

As for your final suspension, that had zip to do with me, if that is even true as I see you still manage to spam amigaworld.net with advertising material and rants as of at least 19th July 2004, as for two months or more I had stepped down from moderation duties out of sheer frustration with the whole tedious malarky - and I am still no longer a moderator - I just do backend maintenance for the site and sometimes chip in the odd sarky comment. So can't blame me no more for misfortune or make me out to be the evil mastermind blah blah blah stab knife back etc etc crap that people so dearly love to engage in.

Apologies for the off topic response, but if we are about blaming anyone, point your finger at my dear friend magnetic, who doesn't realize quite what I know about what he sayes on #morphos.

Oh and by the way, I read morphzone once a day, and have done for a long time, thats why I can get lippy when people pop into #amigaworld and start telling everyone there that their platform choice sucks.

Feel free to moderate this, and throw me off the site, its attitudes like magnetic's that turned me off MorphOS in the first place. Its attitudes like most of the others that keep me reading. Maybe one day BPlan will make another sale of /their/ product, to me.

Regards

Dave.

( maybe the knowledge and wisdom of solomon etc, but the spelling of a software engineer, for shame )

[ Edited by DaveP on 2004/7/22 19:17 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 19:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @magnetic:

please keep your personal problems out of this thread... the discussion is hot enough already and there is no need for a private fight between you and davep. For such things you can write a mail or use the pm system here on morphzone.

thanks.

regards,
    tokai

[ Edited by tokai on 2004/7/22 20:44 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 19:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    DaveP

Looking at this post. It makes me see that you enjoy hearing yourself talk.

Its a shame. The fact that I'm an Amiga dealer and post news/amiga items on aw.net is a problem for you? That is absurd. I've been an Amiga dealer over 10 years and a member of FOUR Amiga User Groups. I think that qualifies me to post on a site called amigaworld! I guess no one remember aw when it was an AMIGA site - not a KMOS/Ainc fanboy site.

I dont tell them their platform choice sucks. I just give honest appraisals and even help with user support (look at my recent posts)

Anyway, I dont want to degrade into this here... the FACT remains the only time YOU
    pipe in on MZ is on a thread that has negative connotation, and you feed the fire. That my friend, is a Troll.

I wish you were as critical of Kmos/Gary Harre as you are of Genesi. But of course, that wont do for you will it? Its not about honesty its about sides? IS that it?

:-?

magnetic

ps We wont erase posts and ban users like others do.

** NOTE***

Tokai, I'm sorry you posted while I was writing this. My apologies.

[ Edited by magnetic on 2004/7/22 14:50 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 19:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @DaveP

Quote:

Feel free to moderate this, and throw me off the site, its attitudes like magnetic's that turned me off MorphOS in the first place. Its attitudes like most of the others that keep me reading. Maybe one day BPlan will make another sale of /their/ product, to me.

Moderate you, why? People can disagree all day; I really don't care. Just try not to let magnetic goad you into some silly arguement.

@Magnetic
    The same goes for you. Keep your vendetta against DaveP and AW.net off of MorphZone, this is not the place for such.

Occationally we all slip and let a snide remark pass about people or personalities (it's only natural), but, magnetic, you seem to have a magical button with the letters "AW" stamped on it. DaveP does not post here enough to warrent such strong reactions from anyone.

@moderators
    I would further advise all involved to use the simple axiom "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" when dealing with staff from other websites. If I should visit AW.net, I do not want to be heckled, and DaveP does not want that here.

Another note: this is the Genesi-Guest House forum, and as such it operates under different rules than the rest of MorphZone. Certain Genesi and bPlan officials have moderator abilities in this particular forum. Not to say that I can't step in, but I do not generally touch posts in this forum, unless there is really some kind of gross abuse.

Now, please, can we get this train back on the tracks?
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »22.07.04 - 20:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Okay then, now this is all said and done, why not let us get a cool pint of beer, re-read the thread and constructively comment/add on/to the original post. I hope BBRV are finally finished reading the thread an can comment/clear some things up for good :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »22.07.04 - 20:11
  • Just looking around
    DaveP
    Edited to nothing in the spirit of not wishing to continue the discussion with magnetic.

[ Edited by DaveP on 2004/7/22 20:20 ]
  • »22.07.04 - 20:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

In the meanwhile, a fourth (since the release of the Pegasos II) OF upgrade is being perfected now thanks to the great work of Gerald, Nico and Sven. We are in a process of ongoing improvement. This has never stopped.

Indeed a lot of things has happened on the firmware side since the first release of the Pegasos II :-)!

To whomever it may concern; an "ide-delay" system variable in the OF would be nice. A "setenv ide-delay 3" command could perhaps take care of cold booting problems on Seagate HDD's (and certain IBM's) on G4 systems in a "cleaner" way than manually editing a delay loop in the nvramrc?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.07.04 - 20:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Targhan

I dont have a "vendetta" against aw. I got there and post (and not troll) I'm not trying to "goad" anyone into anything. Just funny that DaveP ( a known Red Troll) would all of a sudden post here on a thread that has negative implications... whatever.

DaveP

I highly doubt you were joking. But I dont care. Enough silliness. I digress.

magnetic
  • »22.07.04 - 20:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @magnetic
    while his post was critical, it was not demeaning nor accusational. DaveP has not, in my memory, trolled morphzone. I also do not believe he came here to troll, he came to find out what's going on.

I promise a good 30% of both os4 and mos user-bases would cut off a small appendage to have both an A1 and Peg on some kind of envoy or samba network. We are _all_ geeks for this stuff, and there is a cross-intrest in one anothers' goings-ons. (using southern slang!)

Just relax a bit, have a martini, and remember if Genesi can address DaveP's concerns then it will have addressed concerns of many others. That is just how it works. A concern asked by one is a silent question by ten more.

Targhan
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »22.07.04 - 20:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Thanks Targhan

Wise advice..

Lets not let this thread become all about DaveP _PLEASE_

Back on topic

magnetic
  • »22.07.04 - 20:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Getting back on track again, I can say this as I did in the MorphOS thread. If we have to wait another year to see the next MOS update its all over for us. I want to see MOS be a major OS someday, but to do that we need to have some releases and the devs need to get systems. Unless that happens and we coninue to only have small sales of boards we will never advance. The MOS on X86 thing is okay, but it does give me a scare. If people use it and like it thats great, if they use it and like it, but only use it as an emu thing on X86 that sucks. I dont want to see a Mac version out or an X86 version out if it takes away from Pegasos sales. That would be tragic.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »22.07.04 - 22:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Senex
    Quote:

If we have to wait another year to see the next MOS update its all over for us.

I don't think so - we had several years without OS updates and are still here. And regarding those who can't wait to get the next update: Well, a theoretic solution would be to actually make us users pay for the updates - this way the MOS crew would be a bit more motivated to create a proper release from the current snapshot every now and then. But: If people would have to pay, they would expect support. And given that there are - how much? - maybe 1000 MOS users out there, that just wouldn't be worth it therefore, IMHO.

I don't know how many members of the MOS crew or any member at all gets paid for this. I'd guess just Ralph might see a Euro now and then, since of another well-known MOS developer bbrv once admitted on the BT2 ML that he does it for free. So I don't see anyone of us entitled to criticize what they are doing, how they are doing it and when they are doing it. They work on MorphOS out of idealism, personal interest and therefore mainly for themselves, it seems. So I'm very grateful that they have developed and continue to work on this very nice OS and share an update with us from time to time, no matter when - since they give me something I like to have but would never be able to do it myself. Thank you guys!
  • »23.07.04 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    the emu thing scares me but i think it will never happen....i say this not to start trouble but this is what i have observed and this is something that scares me and is one reason i want to see this platform mature more before i buy.
    genesi says "hey lets do this!" and has some idea that comes up in the forums and everyone talkes abtou and then dies, gladiotor game (i have heard no news of) the guardian (complications arose) pegasos game console (cool idea in theory but would never get a market share, unless it has native suport for dreamcast games licenced from sega directly) pegasos media station (dont know the status of this one) and there have been a few others i believe but i have forgotten them as they fadded quickly (or that may have been alll of them and there are no more i am not sure so dont hold me to it) now i want to see a set path, a paved street, a clear direction. from what i have seem MOS is good solid stuff, what needs to happen is better marketing, more development on the OS, and more advances CPU (though that will evolve as is needed and for now this is not needed at all it seems, hopefully the new peg 2 boards with the upgraded G4 and G3 cards wil give the little needed boost on the linux and MOS side). things genesi has going for them are the ability to make friends in the computing industry (IBM, freescale, QNX software systems (witch is really a good partner) and HP, even though i hate HP and am in a small legal battle with them). other plusses are a nice advanced OS that is "better" than its direct "compeditor" and the fact that BBRV seem like good people.

what i think is genesi needs to sit down and come up with a good marketing strategy that involes people interfacing with the actual OS and actual hardware noe emulation. we need to promote and we need heavy active development. genesi has mentioned "big suprises" well i think now might be a good time to come out with 1 or 2 of them as some are starting to loose faith, I myself being one of them. this is what I think. now tell me what you think.
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »23.07.04 - 07:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    ingoj
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    Quote:

already got exactly the SAME answers (since 3 years in our case), by DCE (the manufacturer).

Say goodbye to your Peg2 board!

To the others Peg2 owners . . . PRAY that they never need to be repaired . . . .as already said, the company name is different . . .not the habit.

Good luck anyway

Well, it's quite easy as this:
    I bought a product and this product isn't fulfilling it's specification it was advertised for, therefore it is broken and thus I can request repair and/or money back and compensation to get that product I originally intended to buy, but which was not delivered to me.

I wanted to have a PowerPC machine with low power consumption, PCI, network and usual stuff that primarily runs Linux, but I also wanted to have a look at MOS.
    So, I can retire from my buying contract of that peg2 and can compensate with any machine that fits the above description and the dealer (in this case Vesalia (poor guys because that's not their fault, they just sell that stuff for others)) has to compensate me for those extra costs, incl. telephone costs, p+p costs, extra hardware costs.

German law is great, isn't it?! :-)

The bad thing about this is, that I basically like the pegasos idea, but I can't recommend it to others anymore, when the firmware upgrade won't fix my problems. Bplan & Co won't win friends (and customers) with broken hardware, no matter if MOS is sold separately or not.

Maybe it's just a board manufactured on monday....
    Alas, new firmware shall be available on 28.7., as it was told to me by Vesalia. So, I will keep on kernel panicing until then and see if the update fixes my problems and if not, I'll send my board back and request a different board for it. If that fails as well, I'll go for money back and compensation...

regards,
    ij
  • »23.07.04 - 08:46
  • Just looking around
    ingoj
    Quote:

Targhan wrote:

The firmware update that fixes the memory issue of linux has long since been available on the bplan website. Whomever Framiga is replying to, please check the bplan-gmbh.de website for the firmware updates page.

Thank you,
    Targhan

Been there, done that. Didn't help.
    You doesn't seem to be up to date.

regards,
    ij
  • »23.07.04 - 08:52