MorphOS counter.
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > is it 1,000+, or 2,000+ MorphOS compatible applications, games, & utilities
    > that are available now?

http://morphos.lukysoft.cz lists about 1500, and that is not taking into account the thousands of even older AmigaOS programs (from Aminet etc.) that happen to run on MorphOS.

> faster web browsing and video content playback are two of the most used
    > functions that people use their computers for, so the importance of using
    > a G5 should perhaps be weighted differently than by the actual number
    > of applications that will benefit from using a G5, to instead measuring the
    > amount of time spent on your computer and what you are doing with it and
    > how much of that time will be sped up, by using a G5, instead of using a G4.

Fully agreed.

> From what I have read from a few knowledgeable MorphOS3.1 users, the other
    > advantage [...] is that the G5 CPU will be able to better supply video content to the
    > R300 series Radeon video cards, once they are fully 3D supported in the near future.

I think you may have misunderstood. For sure the G5 CPU can decode (high def) video content better than the G4 CPU, but for viewing CPU-decoded video content the 3D functionality of the GPU is not used.

> I can't remember when I last emulated anything on any of my Amiga,
    > or MorphOS computers, but that is just me.

Everytime you run ARexx you're emulating an m68k CPU on your MorphOS computer ;-) Admittedly, this doesn't even require a G4 to run fast enough.
  • »14.11.12 - 14:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    JKD,
    Quote:

@amigadave

I will do my level best to be at AmiWest this coming year...I was gutted when I realized that I had travelled on business over it this year. The plus side for me is that I live only 20 mins away from the show :-)

I've no idea what state my Powerbook G4 will be in by then, only just got round to installing 3.1 and a couple of old apps from my MorphOS backups :-)

With any luck there will be WiFi support in the OS by then so I don't have to be tethered to a desk.

Great news! That is at least one more MorphOS3.1 user who will be at the 2013 AmiWest Show. If you only live 20 minutes away from the Show's location, I can't see any reason NOT to attend. It is a free show after all, so 20 minutes of gasoline each way should not deter you from attending.

I look forward to meeting you there next year, so please plan on going to the Show. I really need all the MorphOS3.1 help I can get. This past year there were times where people had to wait to ask me questions about MorphOS3.1, because I was talking to someone else about it and I was the only MorphOS3.1 person at the show working the display table.

Edit: I also hope for a wireless networking solution that either uses the built-in AirPort Extreme, or the CardBus WiFi card that they have been working on supporting for over a year. I have another wireless networking solution that works well for me, my TP-Link, which with it's own rechargeable battery power, does not drain any of the G4 PowerBook's battery power while in use. It makes my G4 PowerBook completely portable while browsing the Internet, or sending/receiving emails.

[ Edited by amigadave 14.11.2012 - 07:05 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »14.11.12 - 14:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Andreas_Wolf wrote:,
    Quote:

I think you may have misunderstood. For sure the G5 CPU can decode (high def) video content better than the G4 CPU, but for viewing CPU-decoded video content the 3D functionality of the GPU is not used

I am sure I worded that poorly. My limited understanding of the situation is that the faster video cards that are soon to be fully 3D supported will work better inside a G5 than a G4, because the G4 may not be able to supply these faster video cards with enough data fast enough to fully take advantage of the faster video card's full capabilities. Or something similar to that line of thinking.

I may have misunderstood what was being explained to me by others regarding needing faster CPU's to fully take advantage of some of the faster video cards.
  • »14.11.12 - 15:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > My limited understanding of the situation is that the faster video cards that are
    > soon to be fully 3D supported will work better inside a G5 than a G4, because
    > the G4 may not be able to supply these faster video cards with enough data fast
    > enough to fully take advantage of the faster video card's full capabilities. Or
    > something similar to that line of thinking.
    > I may have misunderstood what was being explained to me by others regarding
    > needing faster CPU's to fully take advantage of some of the faster video cards.

Other than with tasks like 3D gaming and other 3D applications, video decoding is a purely CPU-bound task on MorphOS, so a G5 being better than a G4 is also true when using an R200 card for watching video. So in terms of video decoding, we don't need faster CPUs to make better use of R300 cards but simply to increase the amount of pixels that the CPU can decode in a given time frame.
  • »14.11.12 - 22:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > this value says nothing about the number of licences, because you need
    > to subtract beta [...] keys made for free.

While you say that the number counted in this thread includes keyfiles for betatesters, another MorphOS Team member talks to the opposite effect:

"this graph does not take into account copies used by MorphOS [...] betatesters.
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36809&forum=45#689402

So, which is it?
  • »20.11.12 - 23:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    waldiamiga

Thx Pampers :)

[ Edited by waldiamiga 23.11.2012 - 18:39 ]

MorphOS.pl
    PowerBook G4 1.67GHz|2GB DDR2|ATI Radeon 9700M 128MB|SSD 80GB|TFT 17"|MorphOS 3.1x
    Core i7 Notebook|WinUAE 3.x/AmigaOS4.1x & Icaros Desktop 2.x & QEmu 6.x.x
  • »23.11.12 - 15:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    The discussion regarding the number of registration keys and how it relates to the number of MorphOS users is laughable, when it turns into an argument between people trying to prove their opinion regarding how many MorphOS users there currently are.

The number of registration keys is very close to the number of computers that are running MorphOS, period! There are a few less, due to computers that have died, so a new registration key has been created for those users, matched to their replacement MorphOS computers. There might be a few more that should be added to the number used on the graph and shown in this thread, due to the MorphOS Dev. Team members who probably did not need to run the "RegTool", to get their registration keys. It does not matter if the registration keys were paid for, free to software developers, or beta testers, or the MorphOS Dev. Team members themselves.

This of course has no way of confirming how many MorphOS users there actually are, or at what rate the number of users are increasing, staying the same, or decreasing, though it would appear that there is probably an increase of an undetermined amount of users, over the time period from MorphOS2.0, to 3.1.

Most people would like to know the actual number of users, some people like to guess and make their estimates public, so they can compare them with other peoples estimates, but none of the Next Gen. Amiga platforms owners, or teams have elected to voluntarily release the number of users they have, either because they don't want the number public (OS4.x), they don't seem to care enough to calculate and release the number of users (MorphOS3.x), or they probably don't have any way of actually tracking the exact number of users (AROS).
  • »23.11.12 - 20:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they don't seem to care enough to calculate and release the number of users (MorphOS3.x)

I don't think they could really calculate that number, even if they wanted to.
  • »23.11.12 - 20:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    redrumloa,
    Quote:

Besides, Amiwest is still primarily an OS4 promotion event. I've been pretty vocal that my opinion of OS4 has recently gone from neutral to strongly negative. Me attending an event like Amiwest may be counter productive ;-)

AmiWest will most likely always remain an event with a strong OS4.x presence, but that should motivate you even more to help me represent MorphOS3.x more fully at the 2013 AmiWest Show. With the increased interest in MorphOS3.x by so many of the Amiga users who attend each AmiWest Show, there is a need for more MorphOS3.x users to attend the show to answer questions, prepare demonstrations, and/or give short seminars on how to use different parts of MorphOS3.x, or any of it's native applications.

This past 2012 AmiWest Show had more people interested in MorphOS3.x, asking more questions than I could keep up with. More that a couple of them were taking notes and writing down the model names and numbers of each G4 Mac computer I had there running MorphOS3.1, so they would be sure to buy a model that was sure to be supported. They were very impressed with the look and feel of MorphOS3.1 and the broad range of Amiga software that it could run without resorting to using E-UAE. I was very encouraged by the amount of interest, but more encouraged by the intensity and sincerity of the interest in MorphOS3.1 during the 2012 AmiWest Show. Since the 2013 AmiWest Show is being extended to 3 full days, plus a 3 day programming seminar, prior to the beginning of the show, I would like more help to make the 2013 AmiWest Show the best yet for MorphOS3.x promotion.
  • »23.11.12 - 21:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Andreas

Quote:

I don't think they could really calculate that number, even if they wanted to.

I agree, and IMHO the most interesting aspect of the numbers in the graph is the fact that they *do* reflect individual/unique machines (right?) as well as the fact that someone must have bothered to actually acquire (in most cases) that piece of unique HW and install (or at least boot) MorphOS on it in order to submit a registration request. IMHO the graph shouldn't be discarded as quickly/easily as some people (on various forums) would like to.

EDIT:

About estimations of "active users", here is Fab on AW.net:

Quote:

As a figure, on MorphOS, i could tell you that after a period of one month, i usually get about 800 downloads from my website for something like OWB or MPlayer (complete and not by usual bots). The figure is quite consistant and slightly increasing over the years.

I trust the source, and IMHO this sounds reasonable. A few years ago it seems many people would "guesstimate" the numbers of users to ~700 people. Since then, some people will have of course have left (MorphOS and the Amiga world in general) but I think it's fair to assume that the increased HW support in general, and the laptop support in particular, as well as the feature advances in MorphOS (not to be neglected), will have resulted in more "Amigans" in the community will have tried (and of course liked ;-)) MorphOS. And while we have actually seen some new faces here on MorphZone.org during the last months, most new users will of course continue posting on their regular "Amiga" forums, using their usual/regular nicknames; I don't think "forum activity" here on MZ (or any other sites) is a valid indicator of "market share" at all (I only mention this since some people seems to use activity on various web forums as some kind of sign of "OS popularity"). I think the Amiga "NG" community is decreasing overall (recently mostly because of disappointments concerning the OS4 scene, like the X1000 that stalled any hopes of an OS4 future), but I also believe that the MorphOS share of the community (the "NG" community) is slightly increasing, or at least remaining somewhat constant. Hence I think ~800 MorphOS *users* today is a valid "guesstimate". And IMHO this is quite decent! :-)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 24.11.2012 - 02:27 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.11.12 - 00:30
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    For once I'd have to agree with you tmhgm.
    Not only did someone acquire/put together the hardware and install the OS.
    They paid for a key so the machine was built with a purpose.

Makes you wonder how many unregistered instillations have occured.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.11.12 - 01:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

They paid for a key so the machine was built with a purpose.

Or at least used that particular piece of unique HW, booted with MorphOS, to signal an interest to pay for a key!

;-)

(BTW, I think it's reasonable to assume that most (almost all) of these requests was fulfilled).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.11.12 - 01:36
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    saib0t
    MorphOS Nordic
  • »25.11.12 - 12:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Today?

Guys, thanks for your continuous support, but please, please, please remember about registration date too... Otherwise the graph won't be accurate.
  • »25.11.12 - 19:02
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    saib0t
    koszer,
    Yes today, sorry. I was just so excited. ;)

[ Edited by saib0t 25.11.2012 - 21:43 ]
    MorphOS Nordic
  • »25.11.12 - 20:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    Today 1724
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »04.01.13 - 10:18
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb

Registered Efika for use as a headless audio system.

It rocks \o/

EDIT: PS Thanks to whoever is manning the key generator today, it arrived 50 minutes after making payment :-)

[ Edited by boot_wb 05.01.2013 - 21:24 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »05.01.13 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Thanks. Both versions updated again.

PNG
    PDF
  • »06.01.13 - 09:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    #1730 at 6th of January 2013

3rd license for me (efika #84, mini #636, Powerbook #1730).

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 06.01.2013 - 23:18 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.01.13 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    #1749 - 25th of January 2013.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »25.01.13 - 23:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    For your G5? :-D
    Anyway I think we will reach the 2000 user limit within days if 3.2 comes out now.
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »26.01.13 - 08:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think we will reach the 2000 user limit within days if 3.2 comes out now.

Licensed machines, not users. We have no way to determine the users count.
  • »26.01.13 - 09:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Yeah right. Someone said we'll quickly reach 2000 licenses when PowerBook version comes out. It seems he's been way too optimistic.

As for the graph - you'll find it in the usual place: Here for PNG and Here for PDF.
  • »26.01.13 - 18:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OK, I've made an update. The links are the same as in post #497.
  • »06.03.13 - 17:59