FreePascal install for Dummies
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Yep..that worked also! :-)

Thanks! So older builds will never work, but newer builds will work on G5s too then.

Quote:

Also.. bottom left hand corner on your screen you have a dock.. what dock is that?

It's a standard Ambient panel. You can add Panels to Ambient in Ambient Prefs -> Panels.
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »21.06.15 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Ok..so is there a newer build I can download? I also tried ALB42's 3.1.1 version and it doesn't work either.
  • »21.06.15 - 13:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Ok..so is there a newer build I can download? I also tried ALB42's 3.1.1 version and it doesn't work either.

The fix should be committed to the FPC SVN, so you can try ALB42's build tomorrow. But the 3.0 release should be close, and there should be an official release for all supported Amiga(-like) platforms then (OS3.x, MorphOS, AROS).
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »21.06.15 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Awesome!!! Thanks!
  • »21.06.15 - 23:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the 3.0 release should be close, and there should be an official release for [...] MorphOS

http://home.alb42.de/fpcbinint/fpc-release_3.0.powerpc-morphos.lha

Is this it?
  • »04.12.15 - 23:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Cool!
    By the way in Options/Directories you have to set FreePascal:units/powerpc-morphos/morphunits

German only:
    File fp.cfg
    -FrFreePascal:FreePascal:msg/errord.msg

[ Editiert durch polluks 05.12.2015 - 14:09 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »05.12.15 - 12:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I need to go back and see where I left off with this. Something about a GUI builder/IDE I think that wasnt released yet but was fixing to be?
  • »05.12.15 - 15:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I need to go back and see where I left off with this. Something about a GUI builder/IDE I think that wasnt released yet but was fixing to be?

This one?

http://home.alb42.de/fpcbinint/fp-ide-3.0.powerpc-morphos.tar.gz
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »05.12.15 - 15:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I'll check tonight...looking forward to it.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 05.12.2015 - 18:52 ]
  • »06.12.15 - 00:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    When I installed fp 3.0 and fp 3.0 IDE, did the assigns in the readme, I double click on FP-IDE I get this popup:

fp: file is not executable

fpc works though, but the IDE doesnt.

EDIT: FIXED!!!! Had to set the executable bit on fp.

BAD ASS. I'll play around with it now.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 05.12.2015 - 22:33 ]
  • »06.12.15 - 04:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Part 2..

Why am I running 3.0 when 3.1.1 is out? Is 3.1.1 buggy and not supposed to be released? Meaning, 3.1.1 doesnt work for me on my G5 yet its available.

EDIT:
    when compiling windowtest.pas I get :
    windowtest.pas(6,22) Fatal: Cant find unit exec used by WindowTest.

The error has to do with this line:
    uses
    Classes, SysUtils, exec, utility, intuition, gadtools, aGraphics;
    Const

Also, is there a MorphOS specific FreePascal forum I can ask questions at? So far, this IDE is bad ass.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 06.12.2015 - 14:33 ]
  • »06.12.15 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why am I running 3.0 when 3.1.1 is out? Is 3.1.1 buggy and not supposed to be released?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=10252&start=11
  • »06.12.15 - 21:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Aaah...ok... now to figure out the compiling issue. Forgot about that thread also. I wonder what the status is about LCL-wrapper...
  • »06.12.15 - 23:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    thanks to polluks, I'm farther along. Now I get cant find unit gadtools

..also..other stuff doesnt work (in the examples, like simplegraphics): cant find unit tagsarray

[ Edited by TheMagicM 08.12.2015 - 17:55 ]
  • »08.12.15 - 23:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sorry I look into this forum very seldom.

@Andreas_Wolf:
    The version scheme is the same as it was before for Linux.
    x.y.z =>
    x = main revision 1,2,3,...
    y = subrevision -> odd = experimental version, even = stable version

3.0 is the latest stable release of Freepascal and will not change much.

3.1 is the experimental release with some new features (for example in 3.0 you will notice that the diskfont,cgfx units are still missing, in 3.1 both already there) So if you want the latest features use 3.1 but be prepared that it may be unstable or not compatible changes inside.

@TheMagicM:

Yeah, sorry, neither gadtools or tagsarray are available for morphos currently so this examples won't compile currently, they are just copied from AROS fpc. To get some more examples it may worth to check ChainQ's freepascal older release (just for the examples, as far as I remember I does not work on your CPU, does it?)
    http://charlie.amigaspirit.hu/software/fpc/morphos/fpc_20140222_r26832.lha
    in demo folder are some examples.

The LCL for MorphOS is slowly going forward (even I work more on the m68k-amiga LCL but both plattforms benefit from it). See my Blog for the latest informations.
    But it still crashes on exit.
  • »10.12.15 - 07:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @ALB42:

how much longer/how much work is it for the MorphOS version to be up-to-par with the AROS version? (with gadtools, tagsarray etc)? I guess I'm trying to see what FPC *can do* with what I have now.
  • »10.12.15 - 14:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    @MagicM:

I packed you a package with the corrected example files and the missing gadtools, I will add this gadtools also to the official repo later.

MorphOS-fpc examples
  • »11.12.15 - 16:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    AWESOME!! THANKS!! :-)
  • »11.12.15 - 23:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Is there some sort of bounty for FreePascal? I'd like more examples with menus, something with sqlite access, calling a command line app while in a window (background), reading a disk directory etc.

BTW, Simplegraphics.pas doesnt work.

http://imgur.com/OLheMtb
  • »11.12.15 - 23:55
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Pascal's standard identifier "Text" cannot be a function, this is a bug.

Code:
    --- packages/morphunits/src/agraphics.pas.bak	2015-06-17 09:45:51 +0100
    +++ packages/morphunits/src/agraphics.pas 2015-12-12 14:26:33 +0100
    @@ -2211,7 +2211,7 @@
    function TextLength(rp : pRastPort location 'a1'; string1 : pSHORTINT location 'a0'; count : CARDINAL location 'd0') : INTEGER;
    SysCall GfxBase 054;

-function Text(rp : pRastPort location 'a1'; string1: pSHORTINT location 'a0'; count : CARDINAL location 'd0') : LongInt;
    +function GfxText(rp : pRastPort location 'a1'; string1: pSHORTINT location 'a0'; count : CARDINAL location 'd0') : LongInt;
    SysCall GfxBase 060;

function SetFont(rp : pRastPort location 'a1'; textFont : pTextFont location 'a0') : LongInt;
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »12.12.15 - 12:34
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Is there some sort of bounty for FreePascal?

I don't think so ;-) you can give some money to Lazarus in general or Freepascal project if you wish.

Quote:

I'd like more examples with menus, something with sqlite access, calling a command line app while in a window (background), reading a disk directory etc.

uh, thats a lot ;)
    maybe you want to check out magoriums work, he tries to unifiy all 3 platforms (m68k-amiga, powerpc-morphos and i386-aros) and created many examples which should work on all this 3 platforms.

https://github.com/magorium/fpc-triforce

You know, I more care about AROS than MorphOS. So about SQLite I do not know wether it possible on MorphOS. (on AROS I got it to work recently)

Quote:

BTW, Simplegraphics.pas doesnt work.

Yeah the examples are made for recent 3.1.1 FPC there are some inconsistencies between the 3 platforms are fixed (for example this Text->GFXText)
    So you can update your compiler and units to the recent 3.1.1 or cahnge the GFXText back to Text and remove the @ in the line 57 (the other error the compiler complaint)
  • »12.12.15 - 20:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I don't mind pitching in some cash but only for MorphOS specific updates.

Quote:

Yeah the examples are made for recent 3.1.1 FPC there are some inconsistencies between the 3 platforms are fixed (for example this Text->GFXText)
    So you can update your compiler and units to the recent 3.1.1 or cahnge the GFXText back to Text and remove the @ in the line 57 (the other error the compiler complaint)

I dont think 3.1.1 works on my system. I'll double check. I apologize for not having the answer to if it works or not. I know I have another version on my G5.

I'll look again and see. If it doesnt work, I'm assuming nothing from that archive can be used with 3.0, correct?

Regardless of what the answer is to the above question, it gives some insight as to why I only want to contribute to something MorphOS only. Like you, you're concentrating more on AROS and have less interest in MorphOS, I have no interest in Amiga 68k FPC or AROS FPC. I'd like to see something fully functional an all-in-one location I can code in on MorphOS that can do sqlite, menus, windows, call CLI programs, graphics etc without having to go thru hoops to make it work or study some obscure Amiga dialect to make it happen.

EDIT again:
    No 3.1.1 does not work on my G5. Where is this 3.1.1 that *does* work? Maybe mine is old?

EDIT 2:
    the triforce link was good..looking thru it now.

Edit 3:
    ok..yea, those examples by Krashan converted to pascal are real good. thanks!

[ Edited by TheMagicM 12.12.2015 - 23:05 ]
  • »13.12.15 - 01:10
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I don't mind pitching in some cash but only for MorphOS specific updates.

Regardless of what the answer is to the above question, it gives some insight as to why I only want to contribute to something MorphOS only. Like you, you're concentrating more on AROS and have less interest in MorphOS, I have no interest in Amiga 68k FPC or AROS FPC. I'd like to see something fully functional an all-in-one location I can code in on MorphOS that can do sqlite, menus, windows, call CLI programs, graphics etc without having to go thru hoops to make it work or study some obscure Amiga dialect to make it happen.

Thats a missintepretation of my "care about" ;-) My interest is the same for all 3 (in principle 4) platforms, the only reason I do not use OS4 currently is the pricetag for its computer and also the reason I didn't start with fpc on MorphOS back in the days (before the cheap Mac became an option). FPC on MorphOS is just Charlie/ChainQs playground, mostly because he has much more knowledge about the inner MorphOS core (maybe even source insight?) and PPC business ;-)
    I try to avoid all this AmigaClassic vs AmigaOS4 vs AROS vs MorphOS bullshit and support all platforms I'm able to support.

Amiga-like systems is a tiny niche, Freepascal is a tiny niche.
    Freepascal on an Amiga-like system is VERY tiny niche of 3 (if I count you in: 4) people.

You're a little bit like me some years before, I tried out some Amiga-style systems after long time and was waiting for "someone" who would port fpc to Amiga/AROS. But after some years of waiting I noticed nobody will take it and do it. So, even I had no idea about inner FPC or inner Amiga-style OS working (back in the 90's Amiga days only very little system conform programing ;-)) I took a stab in the dark to bring it to live, this was in 2010. Since then I'm searching for users, at AROS I was able to inspire ONE(!, which is magorium as you might expect) to do something with fpc and give feedback many others (on all platforms) only said they would like to try but never did. Do not expect a turn-key system to use as on Windows/Linux, but with your work and feedback you can steer the direction of my interest ;-).

Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    I'll look again and see. If it doesnt work, I'm assuming nothing from that archive can be used with 3.0, correct?

EDIT again:
    No 3.1.1 does not work on my G5. Where is this 3.1.1 that *does* work? Maybe mine is old?

I guess the 3.1.1 units are not working with 3.0 compiler anymore, as long as the PPU format changed.
    BUT the 3.1.1 compiler SHOULD work, the G5 fix is there also included, which archive you used?

http://home.alb42.de/fpcbinint/fpc-release_3.1.1.powerpc-morphos.lha This one?
    http://home.alb42.de/fpcbin/fpc-3.1.1.powerpc-morphos.tar.gz or this one?

what error message you got? did you try fp-IDE or also fpc directly, sorry I don't have a G5 to try. If you used the tar.gz archive you might need the Linker "vlink" to make it work (check VBCC webpage or just extract it from the fpc-release-xxx.lha archive)

Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    EDIT 2:
    the triforce link was good..looking thru it now.

Edit 3:
    ok..yea, those examples by Krashan converted to pascal are real good. thanks!

I'm not sure if magorium is reading this forum, if something does not work just tell me. And I will also give him a note about. If I remember right he does not have a MorphOS computer, so he is looking for someone who test the examples and tell him if it is working. (Last time I did it, but he is constantly working on it as you might see on his github checkin history)
  • »13.12.15 - 07:36
    Profile Visit Website
    tolkien
    I have tested a few things for magorium. He is a very nice guy. Helpful and friendly. You can find him in #morphos irc or amigacoding.de
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »13.12.15 - 08:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Charlie/ChainQs [...] has much more knowledge about the inner MorphOS core
    > (maybe even source insight?)

Presumably so. According to itix in a comment to this news item, Chain-Q has become MorphOS team member a "long time ago", even though not listed on the official member list for whatever reason.

Opposed to itix' claim, Chain-Q states:
    "I happen to be a MorphOS betatester"
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2017/03/msg00135.html

Edit: added Chain-Q's statement

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 09.03.2017 - 22:33 ]
  • »13.12.15 - 09:42