http://obligement.free.fr/temp/powermacg5_asd_cpu.jpg
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »12.08.20 - 16:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    HD seems OK, the problem is launching MOS or OSX with only 1 cpu. This normaly can work, if cpu is in first slot (upper) and defective cpu is removed. It depends also to OF_version. For example OF 5.15F0 is able to handle only 1 cpu and launching MOS or OSX on my G5-1.8GHz. Later versions won't do that........
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »12.08.20 - 20:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2

-> Booting from the Open Firmware

"DO-QUIESCE finished" message and nothing more.
    http://obligement.free.fr/temp/powermacg5_bootmacppc64.jpg

That seems also to work, because boot.img is loaded and decompressed. After that something went wrong and system stops. Seems that boot.img does not find any bootable MOS-partition to go on........

If that boot.img is on your HD, try to boot from there and define the Bootpartion of MOS with BD="your bootpartition"
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »12.08.20 - 20:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    @Amigaharry2

I already tried to boot from the Open Firmware with no result.
    The Open Firmware version is 5.1.4f0.

Remember that without harddrives, the boot of the MorphOS CD does the same result (light grey screen).

After reading lots of texts on Internet, I think like Koszer, the problem come from the CPU. So I can't solve the problem for now.

BTW, thanks for your help.
  • »13.08.20 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Your OF supports single CPU-G5. Is your good CPU in upper slot and defektive CPU removed? If yes, it works with MOS and(!) OSX. I know that, because I have a dual-G5 with only one CPU working. Both operating-systems can work with only a single cpu.
  • »13.08.20 - 19:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I don't have the adequat tools to remove the CPU.

> Is your [...] defektive CPU removed?

I guess not, unless he was able to get hold of the proper tools meanwhile.
  • »13.08.20 - 19:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    @CountRaven: thank for the tips. Unfortunatly, this doesn't work for me. The "setenv boot-args cpus=1" command is ok, but the "reset-all" command takes forever. It seems my Power Mac G5 is enable to reset the PRAM (button in the motherboard, "Command+Alt+P+R" keys, "reset-all" command, etc. do nothing).
  • »14.08.20 - 19:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Are the boot-args actually read by anything else than OSX's kernel? I wouldn't think so.
  • »14.08.20 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are the boot-args actually read by anything else than OSX's kernel?
    > I wouldn't think so.

They are not, which is what was established in those old threads years ago. And if there was a change regarding MorphOS meanwhile, I guess you would know, right? :-)
  • »14.08.20 - 20:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Disabling the defective cpu on of using those commands and at least booting on OSX confirming that the case is a defective cpu, was my thought.

[ Edited by CountRaven 15.08.2020 - 02:43 ]
  • »15.08.20 - 02:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    droopy
    Quote:

Daff wrote:
    After a freeze of my Power Mac G5 (on MorphOS), I'm not able to boot it anymore. Here some informations:

- I can access to the Open Firmware with Cmd+Alt+O+F and the boot menu with Alt.
    - But the boot process stay forever in a light grey screen (for MorphOS) or on Apple logo (for Mac OS X).
    - If I disconnect the two hard drives, the machine show a question marks (?). I know it's a normal behaviour.
    - If I insert the MorphOS CD and try to boot it, it go nowhere (grey screen).
    - I copied the files of the MorphOS hard drive on another machine. All the partition and files were OK.
    - I entered the Open Firmware to erase the nvram with the following commands:
    reset-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all
    ...it was all ok but the "reset-all" command. It takes very long and the fans get crazy after 3-4 minutes so I shut up the machine (should I have waited for more?)
    - Strange thing, after the first attempt to erase the nvram, I was able to boot Mac OS X once and only once. After less than one minute, Mac OS X diplayed a transparent black window indicating I must shut up the machine.
    - Since then, others attempts to boot fails. No MorphOS, no Mac OS X.

Any idea?

I updated to the last verion of morph os and pretty much have the same symptoms..
    The powerbook died. Something very wrong with the latest verion.

I can not say anything ghood about the last version since its tends to kill any computer it is installed in.

I Did try new CD and New DVD. Will not boot from USB.
    All after the new verion currently dirtributed.

No tips on how to restore from this state of dead powerbook either.

Hard drive is not recogniced anymore and it will not boot from CD/DVD or USB so there is no way in to the computer anymore. Thanks to the latest version of Morph OS.

Should get my registration fee back I think.
  • »15.08.20 - 12:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

droopy wrote:
    I updated to the last verion of morph os and pretty much have the same symptoms..
    The powerbook died. Something very wrong with the latest verion.

Hard drive is not recogniced anymore and it will not boot from CD/DVD or USB so there is no way in to the computer anymore. Thanks to the latest version of Morph OS.

Should get my registration fee back I think.

That's most interesting. I have a few PowerBooks myself and none of them stopped working/dropped dead after update to MorphOS 3.13. What exact model of PowerBook do you have?
  • »15.08.20 - 13:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well, does the older version boot OK on your hardware then? We haven’t really changed anything that should have any impact on PowerBooks.... sure this isn’t just some coincidential hw failure?
  • »15.08.20 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    @Droopy: what about the PRAM?

On my Power Mac G5:

- Cmd+Alt+P+R seems to do nothing
    - "reset-all" on the Open Firmware do nothing (waits forever)
    - the reset button on the motherboard do nothing.
  • »17.08.20 - 07:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    On my two PB 3.13 works flawless.
    @droopy: can you reach OF-console? Do you hear MAC-Start-Chime?
  • »17.08.20 - 08:05