A-EON AmigaOne X5000/20 works great with MorphOS!
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fogg_80
    Unfortunately on my X5040 Uboot don’t support MorphOS. Is Uboot the problem!!!???
    Stile Ubuntu
    Sorry for my bad english.
  • »07.12.20 - 14:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    What’s the version of your Uboot?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »07.12.20 - 16:02
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    xeno74
    Hi All,

Happy New Year 2021! Many thanks for the great update! I was able to update to MorphOS 3.15 on my AmigaOne X5000/20 today. I will test the new version in the next days.

Screenshot: f0ce19ed8e6d8239cf7b2953b4403dba.png

A-EON AmigaOne X5000 Update Instructions

You will need a 500MB or larger USB disk

Prepare the USB Disk

Copy the image to a USB disk

Linux Instructions

With your system powered on, insert a USB disk that is at least 500MB into a USB port
    Determine the /dev path to your USB disk using one of the below methods:
    - In a terminal as su or sudo, enter "fdisk -l"
    - In a terminal as su or sudo, enter "parted -l"
    - Check the GParted menu in the upper-right corner

These instructions assume the /dev path to your USB disk is /dev/sdz; however, your actual /dev path is likely to be different - use the actual /dev path to your USB disk

In a terminal as su or sudo, enter the below command:

Code:
    dd if=/path/to/morphos-3.15-hybrid.hdimg of=/dev/sdz

where "/dev/sdz" is the /dev path to your USB disk

NOTE: Do not attempt to copy the image to a specific partition - you need to enter the /dev path to the disk, not to a partition (use "/dev/sdz", not "/dev/sdz2")

Mac Instructions

With your system powered on, insert a USB disk that is at least 500MB into a USB port

Open the Terminal app in Applications > Utilities
    Determine the /dev path to your USB disk by entering the below command:

Code:
    diskutil list

These instructions assume the /dev path to your USB disk is /dev/disk9; however, your actual /dev path is likely to be different - use the actual /dev path to your USB disk

Enter the below command:

Code:
    dd if=/path/to/morphos-3.15-hybrid.hdimg of=/dev/disk9

where "/dev/disk9" is the /dev path to your USB disk

Windows Instructions

With your system powered on, insert a USB disk that is at least 500MB into a USB port.
    Download "USB Image Tool" from alexpage.de

Open USB Image Tool

On the left panel, select your USB disk
    Click the "Restore" button and select the MorphOS disk image

Boot to MorphOS

Begin with your A-EON AmigaOne X5000 system powered down and insert the USB disk into a USB port - remove any other USB disks that are plugged in.

Power on your system and press ESC when the boot animation starts to load the U-Boot menu.

Choose "Command Line" from the U-Boot menu

Type the following commands:

Code:
    usb reset

Code:
    bootmorphos

After selecting the language and keymap please select "Installation ..."

Choose "Update Installation"

Choose the MorphOS volume and the button "Update".

After that please shutdown MorphOS (Ambient - Shutdown... - Shutdown) and remove the MorphOS USB stick.

Please start the AmigaOne X5000 and the new MorphOS 3.15 will boot automatically.

Cheers,
    Christian

[ Editiert durch xeno74 02.01.2021 - 11:57 ]
  • »02.01.21 - 11:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Has dual booting been resolved for the AmigaOne X5000/20 yet? I want to use MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.1 on my X5000 with a modern GPU that supports most features.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »17.02.21 - 23:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    The triumvirate of OSes that can run on the X5000 (OS4.1FE, MorphOS, linux) still lack a fully featured common GPU implementation.
  • »18.02.21 - 09:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    The triumvirate of OSes that can run on the X5000 (OS4.1FE, MorphOS, linux) still lack a fully featured common GPU implementation.

And will lack in the future.
    Is theoretically possible, that MorphOS and AmigaOs will have support for the same more modern cards, but I think linux will never have it.
    There is a bug in amdgpu PPC big-endian version, and new improvements focuses on little-endian.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and someone will be dealing with decades old things from which he has no profit, except joy ;-)
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »18.02.21 - 11:52
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    @sailor
    Are you talking about this?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.02.21 - 20:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Personally I’m not interested in running Linux on the X5000. I have plenty of other machines I can run Linux on. It would be really nice to dual boot MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.1 on the X5000 with a newish GPU. Or even better the architecture shift solution finally arrives for MorphOS. I understand OS development is hard work, so I guess good things come to those who wait.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »19.02.21 - 05:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    @sailor
    Are you talking about this?

I dont know exactly - I know that Nvidia Nouveau have problem with kernel page size, custom kernel with 4kb page is needed on big-endian. I was playing with this when I had FX4500 inside my Quad.
    Regarding the amdgpu I know only that it doesn't works on big-endian ;-), thus we must use radeon, i.e. we are limited to northern island and lower cards.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »19.02.21 - 08:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > we are limited to northern island and lower cards.

It's more complicated than that because the actual GPU architectures, which are what determine (non-)support, don't correspond to the "Islands" family names (which correspond to the R(V)Xxx GPU names). The Northern Islands family (= RV9xx GPU) also contains such GPUs with TeraScale 3 architecture (i.e. HD69x0 cards with RV970 "Cayman" GPU) that isn't really supported by MorphOS.
    In conclusion, it would be more correct to say that MorphOS support is limited to most of Northern Islands (i.e. RV910 "Caicos" GPU to RV940 "Barts" GPU) and all lower GPUs.
  • »19.02.21 - 10:46
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Generally I think it is a better solution to get a setup that can run MorphOS right now than to wait for some support that may or may not arrive.

Of course this is something that users with specific setups don't want to hear, and of course it is inconvenient if you can't have best of the both (or multiple) worlds easily in your system.

We really need to focus on things that give most benefit for all users, not just some rather small subset of users of one particular system/setup. We also look at the registration numbers of specific models to see where the focus should be put. Before anyone asks, yes, we do understand that lacking driver support might not encourage registrations.

Please don't read too much into this comment. It is not an official statement of any kind, just a friendly reminder that while some things would be great to have (from your point of view), it still might not happen anytime soon, if at all. You could be waiting for a very long time (if not forever).
  • »20.02.21 - 15:52
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    Hello guys,
    I am trying to boot on my X5000/40 MorphOS using a USB, but it stacks after bootmorphos and doesn't load at all.

The last printed messages are:
    Trying to load "bootcyrusplus.img" from "SDH0:"...
    Loaded "bootcyrusplus.img" from "SDH0:", booting...

After that stays on uboot grey screen without proceeding.

Tested 4 different sticks but no luck with any of them. I also tried with no hard disk plugged in.

In case the Gfx cards I tried on my machine are not supported, would I see something after that step, for example black screen or grumbled graphics? I tested an HD770, R9 280X and a Gigabyte GV-R725XOC-2GI.

Any recommendation?
  • »08.06.21 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Not sure what HD770 is but it does not sound like you have a supported graphics card.
  • »08.06.21 - 21:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    @jacadcaps
    Thank you so much for your reply. I will try to find a compatible card and proceed with that. Does anyone have any card to recommend as the best choice?
  • »09.06.21 - 16:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does anyone have any card to recommend as the best choice?

Just for MorphOS? Or do you want to run other operating systems also?
  • »09.06.21 - 19:41
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    @Andreas_Wolf
    Just for MorphOS...
  • »09.06.21 - 23:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Just for MorphOS...

Then it's the one mentioned there (or rather the one mentioned 5 comments later).
  • »10.06.21 - 00:18
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    walkero
    Thank you so much Andreas. Will look for one of these cards. Probably for the X1950XT.
  • »10.06.21 - 00:23
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    Quote:

zukow schrieb:
    @Skateman

The best card for X5000 with MorphOS is X1950XT. It supports 3d, overlay, 2d acceleration. it is quite cheap but powerfull. It is also supported by AmigaOs4.x although without 3d.

I am currently trying to replace my Radeon HD5450 by the X1950 XT, at least for testing purpose because the card is too big for regular usage.
    The question: Do I have to manually change something in the options of MorphOS because after having booted the X5000, the Boing Ball appears, then the MOrphOS boot loader starts and then a black screen appears saying: Wrong screen resolution, set it to 1920x1080@60Hz.
    But I cannot do anything..

Any hints?

@walkero
    Have you already found and installed a XT? Any experiences?
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »26.07.21 - 05:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I had the same issue when i ahve changed my GPU, the only way to solve is booting on the DVD and make a new install
    or maybe change manually the screen prefs afiter booting on the DVD.

first try the boot on the dvd or the usb

Regards
  • »30.07.21 - 13:40
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    @gordini21

Thank you very much for the hint!
    Yes, I could boot with the help of the USB-Stick.

But I do not know what to do then...
    Because: In Prefs/Screens the correct graphics card is set (X1650Pro).
    Do I have to copy this prefs? Is this X1650 configuration only saved for/on the USB-Stick?

The only strange issue: In prefs/monitors a wrong monitor (31kHZ) is set. But also if I enter there the correct values of my monitor, save and then try to boot with the SSD disk, I get the 'wrong screen resolution' message....
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
  • »30.07.21 - 19:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Primax wrote:
    @gordini21

Thank you very much for the hint!
    Yes, I could boot with the help of the USB-Stick.

But I do not know what to do then...
    Because: In Prefs/Screens the correct graphics card is set (X1650Pro).
    Do I have to copy this prefs? Is this X1650 configuration only saved for/on the USB-Stick?

The only strange issue: In prefs/monitors a wrong monitor (31kHZ) is set. But also if I enter there the correct values of my monitor, save and then try to boot with the SSD disk, I get the 'wrong screen resolution' message....

It's good that it works when booted from the USB stick, then you can get it to work from the installed system too.

Withouth thinking this too well now, I'd have couple quick suggestions. You could remove (or rename to different name to be revertable) the System:Prefs/Env-Archive/MUI/screens.txt file. This defines which resolution and monitor Ambient and other screens are trying to open. And if this doesn't help, try the same with the System:Prefs/Env-Archive/sys/PublicScreens.prefs file.

I think that if these files are missing, MorphOS tries to use something that it finds for defaults and it should work as booted from the installation media. These are probably created only after user has manually saved some related settings...

EDIT:
    And of course you could try to boot MorphOS into some default resolution instead to a saved one. Press the CTRL key during the startup to get it forced to the 1024x768@75Hz VESA mode, or press the Shift key or LMB to get into the early startup boot menu where you can select between some other modes.

[ Edited by jPV 31.07.2021 - 10:42 ]
  • »31.07.21 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    @jPV

Thank you very much!!
    Shift+LMB did not work. I guess because the wrong/correct screen resolution is loaded *before*.

But: With some luck, CTRL key work.

And I guess I have found the reason why I am having trouble: It is due to my monitor.
    Booting with CTRL key I got some standard screen, as you described. If I then set the sreent resolution to 1920x1080 - my Philips Brilliance 241B has 16:9 format - I immediately get the info: Wrong screen resolution. Set it to 1920x1080@60Hz. And the screen get black.

Okay, I again did the procedure and had a closer look:

For the X1650Pro I only can choose a 1920x1080@76Hz. Obviously my monitor cannot display that.
    Now I have changed to 1280x720@60Hz: And this does work - but of course is not that fun.

Funny enough: If I am remembering correctly, for my HD5450 there also is only 1920x1080@76Hz available but the monitor can display it. Has anybody an explanation for that???
    Could this has anything to do with HDMI connection (HD5450) and DVI connection (all X-cards)??

And is there any poosibility to add a screen resolution of 1920x1080@60Hz for the X-cards?

Thank you!!!
  • »31.07.21 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website