• Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    As a quick note, a friend recently sent me a terse PM reminding me to "Ask A-eon".

Reminding to ask what should be public info? A-Eonkit don't seem to be embracing MorphOS, rather tolerating it. Will you only be able to get one without OS4 installed if you know the super-secret handshake ;-)

Well...yeah we do come off as the bastard step children of the Amiga.
    And I'm not happy that our developers aren't receiving more support.
    But remember Trevor still has to rely on Herman's for his primary OS.
    Its not like you are just free to buy it for any hardware.

Right now...I think we ought to lay off of all the involved parties.
    Its getting close to introduction, and I'm sure they have other things on their minds then addressing our questions.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.10.15 - 21:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Actually I take things seriously but try to relax at the same time.

Quote from Trevors Blog 18th June15 just to tease ya . ;-) .

"His current machine is a Sam460ex but, as part of our Core Linux support team, he is about to receive his first A-EON Technology hardware, unfortunately he is sworn to secrecy so don't ask! ;-)"

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Um, maybe he's pointing out that we need to take this a little less seriously and relax.
    We have a lot of NG options already.
    I, for one, don't want to wear down the developers with too many more requests.

Look what we have gotten recently.
    A slew of new video drivers.
    A new port to the SAM460.
    And, hopefully soon, a new port to the X5000.

If this was a commercial venture I'd be trying to get these guys to take a vacation to avoid burning out, not asking things like "when are we going to do 'x'".

Quote:

Quote:

• »04.10.15 - 21:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users

No surprise considering the current state of GPU support.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMTXPvDvWA

That is probably a touchy point right now.
    Bigfoot (and others) put a lot into the new video drivers.
    And, I don't know who has one of the limited number of X5000, but one of them is probably Pega-1.
    So, we really need to limit our current demands from these two.
    They have been busting their asses for us lately.

I'd be perfectly happy running a R500 series card in an X5000 until time is available to enhance the HD drivers.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.10.15 - 21:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    My problem was not being able to get the network up most of the time on my sam460ex. The few times that I did were more of a fluke.
    Also not being able to install to the same hard drive as Amigaos 4.1 and Linux. Still have a spare partition reserved for MorphOS when it supports booting from a shared hard drive thought.

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses came from Sam460 users

That is probably a touchy point right now.
    Bigfoot (and others) put a lot into the new video drivers.
    And, I don't know who has one of the limited number of X5000, but one of them is probably Pega-1.
    So, we really need to limit our current demands from these two.
    They have been busting their asses for us lately.

I'd be perfectly happy running a R500 series card in an X5000 until time is available to enhance the HD drivers.
  • »04.10.15 - 21:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

No wonder he gets slow graphics when using a gfx card that is almost entirely unsupported, not even 2D, only rudimentary frame buffer support. He would naturally get far better results by using a supported card.

Question is if it was such a good idea to release drivers as rudimentary as these with only frame buffer support and no 2D/3D etc; some people (like he in that video) maight not understand the reasons and form an opinion on MorphOS based on his poor experience. On the other hand, they are usable for simpler things if you can live with the lagging. And it signals that cards like
    AMD Radeon HD 2400
    AMD Radeon HD 3450
    AMD Radeon HD 4350
    AMD Radeon HD 4550
    AMD Radeon HD 4650
    AMD Radeon HD 5450
    AMD Radeon HD 6450
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    AMD Radeon HD 7570
    AMD Radeon HD 7570
    ...is not forgotten! Having at least rudimentary support for them at this early stage, and letting people use it, signals that work to fill in the gaps is in the process, and more competent drivers for these cards are coming.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.10.15 - 22:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> As someone from MorphOS Team told me... only a handful of licenses
    >>> came from Sam460 users

>> No surprise considering the current state of GPU support.
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAMTXPvDvWA

> No wonder he gets slow graphics when using a gfx card that is almost entirely
    > unsupported, not even 2D, only rudimentary frame buffer support.

Thanks for reiterating my point. Problem is, Sam460ex users are mostly existing OS4 users with Radeon HD graphics card and single hard drive. They don't want to severely change their systems just for MorphOS but would try and maybe purchase it if it supported their hardware as is. (Potential) users of new Sam460cr not that much interested in OS4 may buy graphics cards better supported by MorphOS but they'd still suffer the hard drive problem and have the additional problem of lacking audio.
    Under these circumstances, the low number of Sam460 licenses is fully understandable.
  • »04.10.15 - 23:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Everblue
    I think I was misunderstood. I am not in a hurry, fussy or taking things too seriously :)

MorphOS x86 becomes a reality when MorphOS Team decides to, certainly I am not going to demand anything or chase them! If they think porting MorphOS for X5000 is a good idea, then they have their own reasons although I think, I am still entitled for a personal opinion, which obviously has to be taken for what it is.

Having said that, I have nothing against the X5000. It is just that I have zero interest in this machine. And the reason for it is that it is way beyond my budget. Perhaps, if I had 500,000 Euro sitting in my bank account, I'd buy one just for kicks, but alas, I don't. So, if I want to run MorphOS on brand new and good hardware, I will have to wait. And waiting is free :)

[ Edited by Everblue 05.10.2015 - 09:05 ]
  • »05.10.15 - 08:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    https://www.facebook.com/AEonTechnologyLtd?fref=nf

if anyone gets there in person or can see a video watch Christian's demonstration very carefully.

Amiga30th Anniversary Event, Neuss, Germany

Where: Rheinische Landestheater, Neuss,
    When: Saturday, October 10, 2015

Come to the A-EON Technology display area to meet A-EON co-founder Trevor Dickinson and see:-

* A demonstration of the AmigaOne X5000 & AmigaOne X1000 by AmigaOS 4 beta tester Dennis Zweedijk.

* A special Debian 8 Jessie PowerPC SPE demonstration by Core Linux team member and AmigaOS beta tester, Christian Zigotzky.

A.L.I.C.E. might even put in an appearance (along with Core Linux team member, Pat Wall).

[ Edited by Spectre660 05.10.2015 - 11:24 ]
  • »05.10.15 - 14:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

if anyone gets there in person or can see a video watch Christian's demonstration very carefully.

-snip-

So again no reference to MorphOS, but Debian gets a mention? I don't know, maybe I am reading too much into this, but shouldn't MorphOS at least get a mention? Don't they want additional sales of their hardware? I have little interest beyond curiosity myself, but I've seen quite a few mos users express interest.

Hell, if the X5000 benches better than a G5, there could be a stretch of the imagination where I might want a bare board for MorphOS. A-Eonkit treating what should be considered a value added company as such is disheartening, even given their prior track record.
  • »05.10.15 - 15:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Spectre660 wrote:

[a lot of stuff not relevant to MorphOS removed]

This was posted as news here the 10th of September already:

"On Saturday, October 10, 2015, you will have the opportunity to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Amiga and meet some members of the MorphOS Team in Neuss near Düsseldorf.

Up to 500 participants are expected making this event one of the biggest Amiga meetings of the decade.

Other flavours of our favorite computing platform will be present at this event as well: OS4, AROS, Classic and even emulation will be shown providing a unique occasion to see all of them in action at once.

The MorphOS Team will also have a stand where the X5000 and Sam460 will be exhibited running MorphOS among other supported systems, offering a rare opportunity to witness all the latest features of the forthcoming MorphOS 3.10 before its release..."

:-)
  • »05.10.15 - 15:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    The Debian demonstration wont be on the X5000 .

I can understand A-Eon not promoting MorphOS on the X5000 until the
    port is actually completed . I understand that MorphOS on the X5000 will be demoed as a work in progress by the MorphOS team.

Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

-snip-

So again no reference to MorphOS, but Debian gets a mention? I don't know, maybe I am reading too much into this, but shouldn't MorphOS at least get a mention? Don't they want additional sales of their hardware? I have little interest beyond curiosity myself, but I've seen quite a few mos users express interest.

Hell, if the X5000 benches better than a G5, there could be a stretch of the imagination where I might want a bare board for MorphOS. A-Eonkit treating what should be considered a value added company as such is disheartening, even given their prior track record.
  • »05.10.15 - 16:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > special Debian 8 Jessie PowerPC SPE demonstration

On the P-Cubed? SCNR ;-)
  • »05.10.15 - 16:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    For fun you could google PowerpcSPE and see what processors are supported.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

On the P-Cubed? SCNR ;-)
  • »05.10.15 - 17:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

I agree completely.

Same as it has always been. They don't mind any sales and money that might come from MorphOS, but they don't want to be seen affiliated with it in public, or help marketing of MorphOS the slightest in return even if it only means mentioning it in some press release. Predictable. It's how these people has worked, always.
  • »05.10.15 - 17:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

port is actually completed .

Bullshit, they have been promoting incomplete beta level versions of OS4 with terrible driver situation and missing features for years on the X1000. They mentioned OS4 and Linux because they want to, and they didn't mention MorphOS for the same reaason. Of course they are free to do whatever they want, they decide themselves how they want to position themselves to the Amiga (and MorphOS) community. So please stop trying to sugarcoat their decisions into something it isn't. Making up your own explanations on their behalf is even more pathetic than the behaviour you are trying to "explain" on your own initiative...
  • »05.10.15 - 17:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Hope MorphOS drops support for the X5000. :)
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »05.10.15 - 18:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > For fun you could google PowerpcSPE

For even more fun you could click the following links and realize that I surely don't need any lessons regarding this :-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6565&start=10
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=8473&start=49

> and see what processors are supported.

I already know this. Guess which CPU the P-Cubed was supposed to use most likely.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=840

...which is the same CPU as on Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board".

https://community.nxp.com/thread/339022
    https://community.nxp.com/thread/342970
    https://community.nxp.com/thread/357813

Edit: changed "freescale" to "nxp" in links

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 12.09.2019 - 14:48 ]
  • »05.10.15 - 19:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > they don't want to [...] help marketing of MorphOS the slightest in return
    > even if it only means mentioning it in some press release.

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:a-eon.com+morphos
  • »05.10.15 - 19:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    If I were to preorder an X5000 for exclusive use with MorpOS when would I be able to use it ?

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Spectre660 wrote:

Bullshit, they have been promoting incomplete beta level versions of OS4 with terrible driver situation and missing features for years on the X1000. They mentioned OS4 and Linux because they want to, and they didn't mention MorphOS for the same reaason. Of course they are free to do whatever they want, they decide themselves how they want to position themselves to the Amiga (and MorphOS) community. So please stop trying to sugarcoat their decisions into something it isn't. Making up your own explanations on their behalf is even more pathetic than the behaviour you are trying to "explain" on your own initiative...
  • »05.10.15 - 20:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    You are one thorough gum shue .:-)

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > For fun you could google PowerpcSPE

For even more fun you could click the following links and realize that I surely don't need any lessons regarding this :-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6565&start=10
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=8473&start=49

> and see what processors are supported.

I already know this. Guess which CPU the P-Cubed was supposed to use most likely.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=7183&start=840

...which is the same CPU as on Zigotzky's "P1022 Custom board".

https://community.freescale.com/thread/339022
    https://community.freescale.com/thread/342970
    https://community.freescale.com/thread/357813
  • »05.10.15 - 20:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

On the P-Cubed? SCNR ;-)

Or perhaps on the rumored mini-ITX PPC board from A-Eon?

[ Edited by Intuition 05.10.2015 - 21:18 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »05.10.15 - 21:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:

Or perhaps on the rumored mini-ITX PPC board from A-Eon?

Would be really interesting if it would turn out to be based on e500v2!

:-)
  • »05.10.15 - 21:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> special Debian 8 Jessie PowerPC SPE demonstration

>> On the P-Cubed? SCNR ;-)

> Or perhaps on the rumored mini-ITX PPC board from A-Eon?

Zigotzky wrote on the Freescale forum that he bought his P1022-based board in 2014. I don't think this fits a potential new board from A-Eon.
  • »05.10.15 - 21:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

OS4 isn't even complete for the five year old X1000, what makes you think it's in a more complete state for the X5000 than MorphOS for the X5000?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »05.10.15 - 21:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Or perhaps on the rumored mini-ITX PPC board from A-Eon?

> Would be really interesting if it would turn out to be based on e500v2!

I'm sure you would applaud that :-) A new lower-end board from A-Eon would most likely be e5500-based (QorIQ T1) I guess.
  • »05.10.15 - 22:00