Where the @#*%#) is MORPHOS 2.0?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @magnetic

As Tokai and Henes said, there's a long road since a component is born and "works" to a "production" level.

A "final" release must be bug-free and stable. I think it's pretty clear that MorphOS-Team standards are pretty high ones. It's not acceptable for them to release unfinished software.

Those "old" screenshots we saw don't mean anything because if you do important changes in the core of the system, most of components may be affected.

About the argument of the HAL not being open source I think that there's a small problem about that and that is that you are restricted in the hardware side. If MorphOS HAL was public maybe some 3rd party developer could try to port it to iMac G5, PSX3 or maybe even help with the Efika port. I understand that most of 3rd party developers wouldn't be capable of this kind of stuff, but now the possibility is closed.

I agree in some parts with Magnetic, as a small update with Altivec support, TCP/IP and other features may increase the interest of current MorphOS user base. I also understand that even a small update requires extensive testing and will reduce the time that can be spent in the "big release".

Although as users we have our hands tied in some ways, we also have the possibility of making MorphOS grow... e.g. what about a Serial-ATA driver? with the MOS SDK it could be possible to create one.

It's easy to complain, but there are a lot of things 3rd party developers and users can do to help MOS and to continue enjoying it.
  • »05.03.08 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    In my eyes to make MOS the everyday OS is to have a browser that fully supports Java and Flash among other very important components. Also programs like Open Office should be ported to further increase compability with modern documents etc. Oh and a good installer / uninstaller for programs drivers etc. How about integrated software portal for exsample a steam type service where you would download all the updates for MOS + it would give an easy ability for developers to spread their software either free or wtih charge. That kind of software portal sure would lure some developers to release their software for MOS, maybe we would get some new games also oh wait hardware... hmm we need something faster that Efika and in production.
  • »05.03.08 - 10:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Quote:

In my eyes to make MOS the everyday OS is to have a browser that fully supports Java and Flash among other very important components

Java? Which pages do need java exactly? I can't tell you a single one...

Quote:

How about integrated software portal for exsample a steam type service where you would download all the updates for MOS + it would give an easy ability for developers to spread their software either free or wtih charge.

That's called 'Aminet'.

Quote:

maybe we would get some new games

It doesn't worth to hope new games.
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.03.08 - 11:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    For me i know that the efika version release must be as soon as they can.

But in fact for mos2.0 , if the feature list is locked for now, the do there best to beta test and bug fixing the Os, unfortunatly they were still waiting for some componenet to be added like burnit, so the can't release Mos2.0 whitout one or more components , and as henes sayed to me, some programmers were not able to work anymore on morphos due to personnal things, so the release date will be impacted.
    Henes and Fab has said that on some points the operating system is not so near from the release but they can't know how many time the work will be finished

[ Edited by acepeg on 2008/3/5 12:36 ]
  • »05.03.08 - 11:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

I agree in some parts with Magnetic, as a small update with Altivec support, TCP/IP and other features may increase the interest of current MorphOS user base.

That would only make MorphOS2.0 less attractive to customers.
  • »05.03.08 - 12:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Efika owners have a serious reason to be impatient

Indeed. I also agree with everything that "Crumb" has said.

Quote:

How about integrated software portal for exsample a steam type service where you would download all the updates for MOS

Well, aside from Aminet, there's "MorphUP", it's a matter of programmers publishing their software through it, and it seems it hasn't "caught on" very much, which is a pity: So little programmers in our world, and the hard work of some is unused...
    MorphOS has always had the idea that applications should not be installed, but simply copied to the hard drive and used. Given an enough updated core system, every application could be "installed" this way. I personally prefer the hand made installation, I like to know how things work.
    This also makes sense, to a certain extent, for commercial products: People don't want to install programs in their commodity devices, they want them installed at factory.

Quote:

Quote:

a small update with Altivec support, TCP/IP and other features may increase the interest of current MorphOS user base.

That would only make MorphOS2.0 less attractive to customers.

Sure. As MorphOS 2.0 wants to be a commercial product, you can't start spreading bits of it freely. It's a pity. But also, as a commercial product, it should take care of interest not going down, or there won't be anybody willing to buy it when it's for sale.
    I must insist that MorphOS core team should add one public relations member. I guess it wouldn't be needed a great technical expertise, anyone of us would be good at it. Official news, teasers, the whole mambo to keep people's interest.
  • »05.03.08 - 12:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Java? Which pages do need java exactly? I can't tell you a single one...

my netbank for example....

as for the mos 2.0 release: i can wait - not like others..... if morphos 2 will be that great (and it will:) it will worth the wait. i have a peg and will have it forever - so when mos2 is coming i'll be ready:) of course i'd be happy if it comes on tomorrow:))
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »05.03.08 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Banks which require java are seldom.
    I would simply use a better bank then.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »05.03.08 - 16:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I would rather suggest to use Linux or Win for banking then. Changing the bank is a hassle, A Win or Linux maschine is most times available.

Regarding the topic: Well, ususally I am quite patient and agree with the policy to not say anything before it is actaully ready. But many ppl here would really love to get at least some rough estimation when the release is to expect. Is it rather a month, a quarter a half year or a year ahead? During the year-change there were some posts indicating that a release in late Q1 08 was not too unlikely, but recently it sounded like it was further delayed. Any rough estimation? What's most fitting the month, the quarter, the half year or the year time frame?
    At least Efika users are desperate for the 2.0 release, the Efika with Linux is not too much fun...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »05.03.08 - 16:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    I have already told you all that you shouldn't expect any
    release before 2009, at the earliest.

It is better that you all go back to your real computers
    and pack down your Pegasos/Efikas in a box and let
    them sit there, and wait.

If any new version of MorphOS is ever released, then you
    can unpack your hardware. Until then..

If you keep using these rare motherboards you will
    just break them. The G4 CPU-cards tend to die every
    now and then..
  • »05.03.08 - 17:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Wishmaster wrote:

yeah, of course...
    i am satisfied with my bank thanks, prefer use my winbox or boot into ubuntu ppc for that matter instead of changing bank...

funny guy...

the fact that i hate java apps too doesnt change the need of jvm for amiga systems....
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »05.03.08 - 17:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

ironfist wrote:
    I have already told you all that you shouldn't expect any
    release before 2009

yeah, but pardon me for my question: who are you?? i mean are you a mos-team member or what?
    as i see: we saw different answers from different team members which probably means even they dont know a date.

so my humble question is: why should we believe you, more than anybody else (and more than the team members?)

anyway i've got a G3 so i will countinue to use my peg - with your permission :))

[ Edited by sadddam on 2008/3/5 18:19 ]
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »05.03.08 - 17:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Quote:

the fact that i hate java apps too doesnt change the need of jvm for amiga systems....

Please try to accept: Java is such a obersized thing, that MOS will probably never get a proper JVM. :( Java is far more than a "browser plugin"... :)

(Ok, Sadddam, I know you know, but it seems that some ppl still didn't realize that :) )

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2008/3/5 22:29 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »05.03.08 - 21:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Quote:

If any new version of MorphOS is ever released, then you
    can unpack your hardware. Until then..

If you keep using these rare motherboards you will
    just break them. The G4 CPU-cards tend to die every
    now and then..

Great... now big bunch of MorphOS team members followed your suggestion and put the pegs in the closets so the G4s will not break until 2.0 is released.

But now I wonder.. how 2.0 will get ready, now? '2 more years'?

regards,
    a shocked tokai

qvfpynvzre: Va pnfr fbzrbar ernyyl zvffhaqrefgnaqf guvf: vg'f n sernxvat wbxr, qba'g gnxr vg frevbhfyl!!! Bu.. naq avpr lbh sbhaq bhg nobhg EBG13! :)
  • »05.03.08 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    While we're wishing for things (and yes, Java is important!) what about a real flashplayer? Take any flash implementation you can find in Amiga land then let your six year old daughter surf it to www.myepets.com and watch it DIE. (Yes, I have a six year old daughter :-)

Flash is HUGE these days. And while I despise the fact that it takes 1.6GHz of G4,sweating bullets, to do what my old 7MHz Amiga 500 could do with lots of idle CPU time (move sprites around the screen, basically) that doesn't change the fact that it's here to stay. So, MOS 2.0 altivec enablement would be a great help in this area as well.
  • »06.03.08 - 05:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Quote:

Well, aside from Aminet, there's "MorphUP", it's a matter of programmers publishing their software through it, and it seems it hasn't "caught on" very much, which is a pity: So little programmers in our world, and the hard work of some is unused...
    MorphOS has always had the idea that applications should not be installed, but simply copied to the hard drive and used. Given an enough updated core system, every application could be "installed" this way. I personally prefer the hand made installation, I like to know how things work.
    This also makes sense, to a certain extent, for commercial products: People don't want to install programs in their commodity devices, they want them installed at factory.

People aren't used to just copy their software not to mention the pain to go and copy files to multiple places when you have a little knowledge of the system. Doesn't really lure any new users, more likely makes them run away. Integrated software portal would give a lot of possibilities for the system, see XBLA or PSN etc. and I'm not just talking about publishing games, but any programs for that matter. When it would be integrated to the system it would become the standard to release software and how could that be bad thing for the users or programmers not to mention the ease of use. Aminet is full of "#"?%?# when compared to a modern system integrated software portals.

But lets wait and see what MOS team has in store for us once MOS2 gets released.
  • »06.03.08 - 06:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

tokai wrote:

qvfpynvzre: Va pnfr fbzrbar ernyyl zvffhaqrefgnaqf guvf: vg'f n sernxvat wbxr, qba'g gnxr vg frevbhfyl!!! Bu.. naq avpr lbh sbhaq bhg nobhg EBG13! :)

What coded did you use to write that? :-) Is it ROT13? Does it say something important, so it deserved being cyphered?
  • »06.03.08 - 07:37
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    I seem to like your sense of humour ;-)

Keep us informed, cheers :)
  • »06.03.08 - 10:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    HenryCase
    Quote:

Painkiller wrote:
    In my eyes to make MOS the everyday OS is to have a browser that fully supports Java and Flash among other very important components.

Will Sputnik improve things? I thought it has Javascript support.

Quote:

Painkiller wrote:
    People aren't used to just copy their software not to mention the pain to go and copy files to multiple places when you have a little knowledge of the system.

You could offer an Installer script with a program that moves the files into a suitable location and creates a shortcut to the program.

Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Quote:

tokai wrote:

What coded did you use to write that? :-) Is it ROT13? Does it say something important, so it deserved being cyphered?

"disclaimer: In case someone really missunderstands this: it's a freaking joke, don't take it seriously!!! Oh.. and nice you found out about ROT13!"

@all
    If you want to have a news update on MOS 2.0 you shouldn't have to wait too long, our Polish brothers and sisters should be able to tell us more by the end of March 2008:
    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2008/03/powerdev-meeting-1.html

[ Edited by HenryCase on 2008/3/21 13:24 ]
  • »21.03.08 - 13:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Quote:

sadddam wrote:
    Quote:

Wishmaster wrote:

yeah, of course...
    i am satisfied with my bank thanks, prefer use my winbox or boot into ubuntu ppc for that matter instead of changing bank...

funny guy...

Actually what you say is very weird.
    I recently changed my bank, because I was not satisfied anymore.
    Perhaps it is more complicated in your country.

[ Edited by Wishmaster on 2008/3/22 5:15 ]
    Pegasos PPC
  • »22.03.08 - 03:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    maan, you're tuff...
    am i weird coz i am satisfied with my bank?
    its not complicated to change a freaking bank, but find a good one is, and im ok with this one even if it uses lame-ass java apps for online banking.
    if that makes me weird so be it...
    case closed:)
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »22.03.08 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Well, here in norway there's only 1 bank you can use that doesn't require java (because the stupid insecure (proven hacked 3 times already) bullshit BankID system requires it) .. yet I have no illusions about the likeliness of java ever appearing (much less working properly) in full "glory" on a shitty unknown OS like ours (you can hardly call it working on far better known OS' even).

If you really want it I suggest you start doing something about it (there have been atleast 2 attempts before you, so perhaps you can leech a little off their work) instead of whining in useless threads like this, and when you're done we can all join in and empty your bankaccount as a final thankyou... ;)

- CISC
  • »22.03.08 - 11:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    cisc, i was not whining at all. i do know about the possibilities of a jvm for aos-like oses. i was just became "mad" for the suggestion that i need to change my bank coz of java:) i use another os for that matter, which is more simple to do than bankchanging.
    i'd like to have jvm on mos as everybody else, but understood the situation, and accept it. there are more important things for mos than java thats for sure. nr1 is the release of mos2 ofcoz:)))

yet again, dont ask me to do something which requires programing skills, coz i dont have any. im just a lame user, sorry for my ass. yes, there are some of us inside this community:))
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »22.03.08 - 22:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • mk
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mk
    > tokai on 2007/12/31 18:26:21
    > The last thing *I* heard is that MorphOS 2.0 will be released when pigs can fly...

flying pigs sighted :)
    http://www.pegasosforum.de/download.php?id=499 (33kB jpg snapshot)

(from:
    http://brain.umcs.lublin.pl/~ftpuser/video/PowerDev_Meeting.divx 365MB Video, pigs around 48min45sec)

[ Edited by mk on 2008/4/14 12:19 ]
  • »14.04.08 - 11:04
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    @mk

by the way, what show is your avatar from?
    :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »14.04.08 - 20:51