Development : : MS Tools 1.0
Posted By: pegasos-sigi2. on 2018/10/20 14:36:18
MS Tools 1.0

This toolbox provides tools for reading Microsoft Office document. It starts with a tool for reading binary Microsoft Word files (.doc). These tools are a MUI class and a library. Test programs demonstrate the functions.

Screenshot

Supported features:

+ text
+ lists
+ pictures (bmp,png,jpeg)
+ embedet Excel Spreedsheets
+ header
+ footer
+ footnotes
+ document properties
 
  • ASiegel
    Joined: 2003/2/15
    Posts: 1098
    From: Central Europe
    I took the liberty of altering the news headline and link name in the news announcement.

    Please note that "Microsoft" is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation, thus using said name for your own third-party software releases is ill-advised.
  • »2018/10/20 14:38
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Joined: 2012/11/10
    Posts: 690
    From: Manchester, UK...
    This is generally a useful tool, Carsten 8-) ... and a pleasant surprise on the whole 8-D

    Though some of the graphics don't load, it is certainly easier, and more useful to use than AntiWord, and the option of being able to save a document that is more readily viewable on MorphOS as a PDF is a benefit, though not being able to edit a PDF is thus a limitation of this program's usefulness, but that's another issue that this utility was not seemingly intended to handle, so not really a complaint that can be levelled at your work, as such.

    Some of the fonts load as oversized from others in the same paragraph, other text loads as bold instead of plain, or vice-versa, and some text formatting seems to be a bit-off as some text loads left aligned/justified, when it should be right aligned/justified, etc..

    However, the GUI window is 'locked' at a specific size, and so even if the page loads correctly the text to the right-hand side of the page is not loaded or are the scrollbars able to move to view that portion of the document. So it is not saved correctly, as it is cropped/cut-off and lost when saved, even when saving it to a PDF format, it is just lost/removed from the data that was in the original file. :-(

    You need to allow a user, &/or the program itself (both) to be able to change the GUI window size to be able to handle landscape or other paper formats than what you seem to have allowed for in this initial release of the program.

    I hope this feedback is of some use to you, and this is actually a useful first release .... which from you, makes a nice change. :-o

    [ Edited by NewSense On 2018/10/22 0:37 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,Model 10.2,64MB VRAM,250GB HDD,1GB RAM,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2,MorphOS 3.11,Mac OSX 10.4/10.5,A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.11,Model 5,8/5,9
  • »2018/10/21 23:33
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Joined: 2006/8/31
    Posts: 264
    From:
    Quote:

    This is generally a useful tool, Carsten 8-) ... and a pleasant surprise on the whole 8-D

    Though some of the graphics don't load, it is certainly easier, and more useful to use than AntiWord, and the option of being able to save a document that is more readily viewable on MorphOS as a PDF is a benefit, though not being able to edit a PDF is thus a limitation of this program's usefulness, but that's another issue that this utility was not seemingly intended to handle, so not really a complaint that can be levelled at your work, as such.

    Some of the fonts load as oversized from others in the same paragraph, other text loads as bold instead of plain, or vice-versa, and some text formatting seems to be a bit-off as some text loads left aligned/justified, when it should be right aligned/justified, etc..

    However, the GUI window is 'locked' at a specific size, and so even if the page loads correctly the text to the right-hand side of the page is not loaded or are the scrollbars able to move to view that portion of the document. So it is not saved correctly, as it is cropped/cut-off and lost when saved, even when saving it to a PDF format, it is just lost/removed from the data that was in the original file. :-(




    The text wrapping is untouched and original in this doc engine. A separate Letter wrapping is possible.




    Quote:



    You need to allow a user, &/or the program itself (both) to be able to change the GUI window size to be able to handle landscape or other paper formats than what you seem to have allowed for in this initial release of the program.




    Microsoft Word did't save any paper format in a (.doc) file. It only exists a column width. That's all.
    The hight of a doc is open end, too. So a doc with 120 pages is a looooong data stream and 30000 pixels hight.
    The displaying tool must separate every page them self with a more or less huge algorithm and did't know the paper size.
    I have presume 842 x 595 pixels per page.



    Quote:



    I hope this feedback is of some use to you, and this is actually a useful first release .... which from you, makes a nice change. :-o

    [ Edited by NewSense On 2018/10/22 0:37 ]
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »2018/10/22 16:21
    Profile
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Joined: 2012/11/10
    Posts: 690
    From: Manchester, UK...
    Quote:

    pegasos-sigi2 Date: 2018/10/22 17:21:00

    1. The text wrapping is untouched and original in this doc engine. A separate Letter wrapping is possible.
    2. Microsoft Word didn't save any paper format in a (.doc) file. It only exists as column width. That's all.
    The height of a doc is open ended too. So a doc with 120 pages is a looooong data stream and 30000 pixels heigh.
    The displaying tool must separate every page itself with a more or less huge algorithm and without knowing the paper size.
    I have presumed 842 x 595 pixels per page.

    So, will you be modifying your/this program's code to get it to load/save an already prepared .doc file with ALL the text/characters, and ideally any/all image data, that were in it originally, as there's no point in creating a program that cannot handle any imported document correctly? :-?

    Also, having an option to save the text (copy) from a document would be an advantage, rather than just allowing it to be viewed, and/or then saved as a PDF, where some of the data can be extracted (copy) as an external feature of VPDF or APDF or a screen grabber or whatever program might be advantageous to do what your program might feature to save having to carry out these additional, and probably would be seen as somewhat unnecessary stages.

    I say that, because if you make a program capable of viewing an "alien" format then surely all the possible editing/saving features should be built into it, to take advantage of the fact that it is now viewable/saveable within MorphOS, to transfer the data to a MorphOS application to utilise the data/document? :-?

    (I have taken the liberty of amending your text so it reads as I believe you intended it to be read, AFAIK. Also, while I know, and appreciate, your first language is obviously Deutsch/German I feel it would be better for me, and maybe others, to read it without stumbling over small errors/spelling mistakes, which are completely understandable - I also cut down the reply to the significant points, removing my previous quotes, for brevity)

    ** UPDATE ** - v1.1 is supposedly now released, on MorphOS Storage, and Aminet, but checking the version information indicates it's still v1.0, even though the WMF.library is included. This program seems to be BubbleDoc in another form, with similar issues/limitations to BubbleDoc

    [ Edited by NewSense On 2018/11/1 3:16 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,Model 10.2,64MB VRAM,250GB HDD,1GB RAM,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x USB2,MorphOS 3.11,Mac OSX 10.4/10.5,A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.11,Model 5,8/5,9
  • »2018/10/22 23:45
    Profile