Why not older PS3 OtherOS as target?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 10997 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > How? No such thing is mentioned in installation guide.

    It has been introduced with MorphOS 2.5:

    "BootImage boot parameter (usage bi="devicename:morphos.iso")"
    http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/2.5
  • »13.01.14 - 20:56
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Posts: 403 from 2003/4/11
    From: Germany
    Quote:

    geit schrieb:

    Yeah, but noone uses them for computer purpose anymore. Whatever-drives often are an addon these days. I personally did not *burn* a media for quite some time, so I did not even notice my drive was broken for probably several years.

    They may still sell disc based media these days, but the use of home made discs is quite rare. It is easier to store the stuff on local drives and use them on all systems instead.




    Did you ever hear about anecdotal evidence ? :)
  • »13.01.14 - 20:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Moderator
    Kronos
    Posts: 1982 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:

    pega-1 wrote:

    Did you ever hear about anecdotal evidence ? :)



    Tsts didn't get the last newspeak-memo ?

    It's only anecdotal when it's going against your point of view!

    Otherwise it's called "life experience".
    --------------------- May the 4th be with you ------------------
    Mother Russia dance of the Zar, don't you know how lucky you are
  • »13.01.14 - 21:14
    Profile
  • vox
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Posts: 462 from 2003/11/25
    From: Belgrade
    Quote:

    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

    vox wrote:
    Cell is dead end


    Quote:

    It sure is. Especially so for desktop PC's.


    Who am I doubt THM judgement, especially after using the same logo?
    Well, I see it as grat multi purpose thing, way better then XMOS/XORRO.
    Almost unique CPU. Maybe IBM still use or develop it, unlike PWREfficient
    that was killed as baby.

    Quote:

    XDR is bad


    Quote:

    I'm sure it had its points, however I only see DDR3/GDDR5 today (even the new Mac Pro, which is a monster, spec wise), perhaps for a reason?


    Sarcasm. I know dozen of memory standards that were expensive but advanced (Kind of BETA vs VHS) but didn`t make it well on global market, due to IT "Price hunger". Quality stuff is rare to see. Way better than DDR of that time, but 256MB is limit I also cry for (Oh, Sony!!!). However, much can be stored in way faster GPU memory or paged when possible. Linux can do it, a bit - can we do better? YDL is reported to be poor just because its ported but not optimized.

    Quote:

    BlueRay is awful?


    Quote:

    I suppose it's good for what it was meant to be, a next-gen dvd, but optical disks per se has become something of the past, or at least it's heading in that direction very rapidly. If I hadn't already been owning a DVDR unit that could be re-used from my old PC, I wouldn't have put one into the tower of the new PC I built. I hardly ever use it, and a portable one would have done just fine for those rare occasions, and it could be kept in a drawer the rest of the time. The only reason I ever used the bluray in my PS3 was because most game came in this way only. But they are slow, have fixed limits, gets damaged easily, you have to get your ass up from the sofa to change them, they cost money, they create pollution when being produced, and adds to the huge waste mountains when you discard them. Frankly, I don't se a lot of positive sides with bluray.


    Its de facto standard and MorphOS should look to Linux solutions on using it.
    Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...
    ------------------------------------------
    x1000 user, ASAP Vampire Standalone user, future MOS user
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
  • »15.01.14 - 20:01
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Posts: 2638 from 2003/2/24
    Quote:

    vox wrote:

    Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...


    Either you have been living under a rock or under a bridge...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »15.01.14 - 21:56
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 10997 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > I see it as grat multi purpose thing

    As it was explained numerous times in this thread alone, the Cell is not exactly what most would call a multi-purpose CPU. Sure, it can do everything in some way or another, but for many desktop computing purposes it just doesn't cut it.

    > Maybe IBM still use or develop it

    If there's any truth in what IBM said in public, they don't.

    > unlike PWREfficient that was killed as baby.

    By Apple, not by IBM.

    > much can be stored in way faster GPU memory

    256 MiB VRAM isn't so much when to be used as system RAM. Even using all except 64 MiB VRAM as system RAM would give only 448 MiB. Besides, VRAM may be faster than system RAM, but only when accessed by the GPU. CPU access to VRAM is surely slower than to system RAM.

    > YDL is reported to be poor just because its ported but not optimized.

    You can optimize a desktop OS only so much for Cell. Optimization in Cell-context would primarily refer to the SPEs, and it has already been explained that they are not really suited for desktop computing purposes.

    > Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...

    Blu-ray combo drives have been listed since at least 2007, external Blu-ray recorders since at least 2008 and internal ones since at least 2009:

    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdrom&xf=749_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdramext&xf=578_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdram&xf=578_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
  • »15.01.14 - 22:51
    Profile
  • vox
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Posts: 462 from 2003/11/25
    From: Belgrade
    Quote:

    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

    vox wrote:

    Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...


    Either you have been living under a rock or under a bridge...




    ... in Serbia.

    Anyway, BR is standard, at least for high HDI countries.
    ------------------------------------------
    x1000 user, ASAP Vampire Standalone user, future MOS user
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
  • »16.01.14 - 12:16
    Profile
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Posts: 940 from 2004/9/23
    Quote:

    vox wrote:
    Quote:

    takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

    vox wrote:

    Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...


    Either you have been living under a rock or under a bridge...




    ... in Serbia.

    Anyway, BR is standard, at least for high HDI countries.


    If you carry media (games/movies) from stores home it is standard.

    Why whould anyone burn discs, beside making a backup of his computer harddrive? And speaking backup, I won´t even trust these media more than a burned DVD or CD, so I prefer storage on NAS.

    In 2014 there are so many cheaper and easier to use ways, than using crappy selfmade discs with a limited lifetime.

    Geit





    [ Edited by geit 16.01.2014 - 14:21 ]
  • »16.01.14 - 14:19
    Profile
  • vox
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Posts: 462 from 2003/11/25
    From: Belgrade
    Quote:

    geit wrote:

    Why whould anyone burn discs, beside making a backup of his computer harddrive? And speaking backup, I won´t even trust these media more than a burned DVD or CD, so I prefer storage on NAS.

    In 2014 there are so many cheaper and easier to use ways, than using crappy selfmade discs with a limited lifetime.

    Geit




    I have Amiga backups on CD from 90s and they are 100% readable, unlike
    storage media that dies in few years. Your choice.

    However, Double Layer Blue Ray is greatest laser disc so far.
    ------------------------------------------
    x1000 user, ASAP Vampire Standalone user, future MOS user
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
  • »16.01.14 - 15:14
    Profile
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1940 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:

    geit wrote:
    Why whould anyone burn discs, beside making a backup of his computer harddrive? And speaking backup, I won´t even trust these media more than a burned DVD or CD, so I prefer storage on NAS.

    In 2014 there are so many cheaper and easier to use ways, than using crappy selfmade discs with a limited lifetime.


    Technology of writing the data and the quality of discs has risen to a top notch level since many years. That said I have still perfectly working cd's written about 15 years ago.. wouldn't be surprised if they outlive me. Having burned thousands of cd's and dvd's in my life I would bet only a fraction is not working if tested today.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.01.14 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Posts: 1192 from 2003/2/24
    From: Helsinki, Finland
    Quote:

    vox wrote:
    However, Double Layer Blue Ray is greatest laser disc so far.


    Bluray support is a completely different issue. Bluray support should be added "at some point", regardless of whether or not the development team would be too crazy, and risk getting sued by Sony by doing "proper" PS3 port, or doing crappy useless "OtherOS" version that no-one can run anymore. Both would be without 3D acceleration anyway.

    Bluray support should be on the todo list, but with REALLY low priority.

    ...but of course MUCH higher priority than "Waste time doing useless PS3 port" :-D

    By the way, is it possible to have polls on morphzone? Would be nice to have some poll like:
    Should MorphOS team do "2D-only" port of MorphOS for PS3?

    Yes, OtherOS support is fine.
    Yes, but needs to work on newer firmware by using latest hacks (and risk getting sued by Sony)
    No, because there are already better platforms, such as Efika, that can run MorphOS better than PS3 ever would.
    No, because development time shuld be better spent on supporting sensible targets (more PPC macs)
    No, because developemt time should be spent on new OS features instead.

    There's certain VERY vocal minority that claims it would make sense, would be nice to know if it would be "bigger-than-1".

    Sometimes I wonder if he's an undercover OS4 user trying to damage MorphOS by trying to make the development team waste time on worthless work instead of more important things... Just kidding :-D
  • »17.01.14 - 01:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Posts: 51 from 2003/9/10
    From: Nottingham
    Quote:

    hooligan wrote:
    Technology of writing the data and the quality of discs has risen to a top notch level since many years. That said I have still perfectly working cd's written about 15 years ago.. wouldn't be surprised if they outlive me. Having burned thousands of cd's and dvd's in my life I would bet only a fraction is not working if tested today.


    That very much depends on the disc quality and humidity of your area. Very few discs I've written in the past 15 years still work flawlessly. All the cheap ones are properly dead (rather unsurprisingly) and most of the good quality ones have at least a few read errors. DVDs tend to be worse, for some odd reason, even though they should physically be more robust.
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »17.01.14 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1940 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:

    AMiGR wrote:
    All the cheap ones are properly dead (rather unsurprisingly) and most of the good quality ones have at least a few read errors. DVDs tend to be worse, for some odd reason, even though they should physically be more robust.


    No biggie as you said yourself, the price always matched the quality... its easy to avoid shit quality discs. I did a *lot* of burning with dozens of different brands so I learned to avoid certain brands.. I remember yellow Budget-labeled dics being the worst.. huge percentage didn't work out of the box and the rest died in 1-2 years IF they worked on common drives in the first place.

    As for humidity I can't comment.. our climate changes from -35 to +35 celcius yearly and I have had no problems whatsoever.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »17.01.14 - 10:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Posts: 462 from 2003/11/25
    From: Belgrade
    Quote:

    Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I see it as grat multi purpose thing

    As it was explained numerous times in this thread alone, the Cell is not exactly what most would call a multi-purpose CPU. Sure, it can do everything in some way or another, but for many desktop computing purposes it just doesn't cut it.


    I do believe its closest to multi chipset Amiga thing out of all.
    And it is still used in IBM supercomputers, and even revised to DDR2.

    PowerXCell 8i
    In 2008, IBM announced a revised variant of the Cell called the PowerXCell 8i, which is available in QS22 Blade Servers from IBM. The PowerXCell is manufactured on a 65 nm process, and adds support for up to 32 GB of slotted DDR2 memory, as well as dramatically improving double-precision floating-point performance on the SPEs from a peak of about 12.8 GFLOPS to 102.4 GFLOPS total for eight SPEs, which, coincidently, is the same peak performance as the NEC SX-9 vector processor released around the same time. The IBM Roadrunner supercomputer, the world's fastest during 2008-2009, consists of 12,240 PowerXCell 8i processors, along with 6,562 AMD Opteron processors.[24] The PowerXCell 8i powered super computers also dominated all of the top 6 "greenest" systems in the Green500 list, with highest MFLOPS/Watt ratio supercomputers in the world.[25] Beside the QS22 and supercomputers, the PowerXCell processor is also available as an accelerator on a PCI Express card and is used as the core processor in the QPACE project. Since the PowerXCell 8i removed the RAMBUS memory interface and added significantly larger DDR2 interfaces, and enhanced SPEs the chip layout had to be reworked which resulted in both larger chip die and packaging.

    Quote:

    > Maybe IBM still use or develop it

    If there's any truth in what IBM said in public, they don't.


    Well, we anyway use top noch avail CPUs. This seems to be enough for I.
    Dongarra and his team demonstrated a 3.2 GHz Cell with 8 SPEs delivering a performance equal to 100 GFLOPS on an average double precision Linpack 4096x4096 matrix.

    Quote:

    > unlike PWREfficient that was killed as baby.

    By Apple, not by IBM.


    I haven`t mentioned IBM here, point is Cell reached a lot of potential.
    And as far as I read PWR team was used to bring iPhone ARM CPUs.

    Quote:

    256 MiB VRAM isn't so much when to be used as system RAM. Even using all except 64 MiB VRAM as system RAM would give only 448 MiB. Besides, VRAM may be faster than system RAM, but only when accessed by the GPU. CPU access to VRAM is surely slower than to system RAM. .


    Even being a social scientist and not an IT guru, I we seen able hackers and programmers doing quite a lot of magic with even harder restrains.

    I am saying MOS Lite Cell, just basic stuff, but well optimized and having some VRAM or HDD Virtual mem.

    Quote:

    > YDL is reported to be poor just because its ported but not optimized.

    You can optimize a desktop OS only so much for Cell. Optimization in Cell-context would primarily refer to the SPEs, and it has already been explained that they are not really suited for desktop computing purposes. .


    If I got 21st and half century (Duck Dogers Stylee) desktop use is today multimedia oriented more then ever.

    Quote:

    > Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...

    Blu-ray combo drives have been listed since at least 2007, external Blu-ray recorders since at least 2008 and internal ones since at least 2009:


    Surely, I am talking about prices for massess.

    In short: my idea is to have next cheap MOS PPC computer AND great console - SPS3.
    And SAM460ex /AresOne PPC as new board. That would give us outer reach even with younger generation. Its impossible, waste of time etc.

    If I had money, well I would design a new Cell based board and pay for Fedora 20, Mint 16XFCE, AmigaOS 4.2 and MorphOSm ports in reversed order :-)

    [ Edited by vox 17.01.2014 - 11:32 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    x1000 user, ASAP Vampire Standalone user, future MOS user
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
  • »17.01.14 - 11:30
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1073 from 2013/5/24
    From: Federacija Bos...
    Why am I reminded of someone asking for hundreds of RJ11 sockets on the NatAmi?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.14 - 14:09
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1073 from 2013/5/24
    From: Federacija Bos...
    Quote:

    hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

    AMiGR wrote:
    All the cheap ones are properly dead (rather unsurprisingly) and most of the good quality ones have at least a few read errors. DVDs tend to be worse, for some odd reason, even though they should physically be more robust.


    No biggie as you said yourself, the price always matched the quality... its easy to avoid shit quality discs. I did a *lot* of burning with dozens of different brands so I learned to avoid certain brands.. I remember yellow Budget-labeled dics being the worst.. huge percentage didn't work out of the box and the rest died in 1-2 years IF they worked on common drives in the first place.

    As for humidity I can't comment.. our climate changes from -35 to +35 celcius yearly and I have had no problems whatsoever.


    My 2008 MacBook Pro is really fussy about what blank DVD's it takes. Most brands just spin around for a few seconds then get spat out.

    Yet blank CD's it seems to like.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.14 - 14:13
    Profile
  • Moderator
    Kronos
    Posts: 1982 from 2003/2/24
    It has been established that the PS3 is not a viable target (to weak CPU, little RAM, NVIDIA-GFX, access restricted to old units not been updated for quite a while etc etc....).

    MorphOS making proper use of Cell would require about as much of an rewrite than porting it to x86 or ARM. Only difference is that with x86 and ARM 3rd-party apps could use the full potential with little more than just a recompile.

    All this to achieve what ? Run on HW that can't be obtained by even remotly normal means (since PS3 is out) ??
    --------------------- May the 4th be with you ------------------
    Mother Russia dance of the Zar, don't you know how lucky you are
  • »17.01.14 - 14:46
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 10997 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    > it is still used in IBM supercomputers

    The most recent Top500 list contains only one single Cell-equipped (PowerXCell 8i in this case) system on rank 37, which is not from IBM but from T-Platforms:

    http://www.top500.org/system/177421

    > and even revised to DDR2. PowerXCell 8i [...]

    The PowerXCell 8i stopped being produced a while ago, whereas the Cell BE is still in production today (in 45 nm process node since 2008/2009), primarily for use in the PS3 presumably.

    > If I had money, well I would design a new Cell based board

    ...or rather commission the design, I guess ;-)
  • »17.01.14 - 14:50
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1073 from 2013/5/24
    From: Federacija Bos...
    Quote:

    Kronos wrote:
    It has been established that the PS3 is not a viable target (to weak CPU, little RAM, NVIDIA-GFX, access restricted to old units not been updated for quite a while etc etc....).

    MorphOS making proper use of Cell would require about as much of an rewrite than porting it to x86 or ARM. Only difference is that with x86 and ARM 3rd-party apps could use the full potential with little more than just a recompile.

    All this to achieve what ? Run on HW that can't be obtained by even remotly normal means (since PS3 is out) ??


    Isn't that the True Amigan TM way?
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.14 - 15:08
    Profile
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1940 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:

    Intuition wrote:
    My 2008 MacBook Pro is really fussy about what blank DVD's it takes. Most brands just spin around for a few seconds then get spat out.

    Yet blank CD's it seems to like.


    Its a Mac. Its not supposed to work with standard discs, it needs 3x more pricey Apple iDiscs ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »17.01.14 - 15:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1073 from 2013/5/24
    From: Federacija Bos...
    Quote:

    hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

    Intuition wrote:
    My 2008 MacBook Pro is really fussy about what blank DVD's it takes. Most brands just spin around for a few seconds then get spat out.

    Yet blank CD's it seems to like.


    Its a Mac. Its not supposed to work with standard discs, it needs 3x more pricey Apple iDiscs ;-)


    :lol:

    It's an absolutely terrible machine. The 2005 PowerBook G4 I have is better quality.

    And don't get me started on OSX, #%£@&£* POS that it is. It's useful for one thing and one thing only. Logic Pro.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.14 - 17:51
    Profile
  • Moderator
    hooligan
    Posts: 1940 from 2003/2/23
    From: Lahti, Finland
    Quote:

    Intuition wrote:
    It's useful for one thing and one thing only. Logic Pro.

    Renoise ftw!
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »17.01.14 - 19:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1073 from 2013/5/24
    From: Federacija Bos...
    Quote:

    hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

    Intuition wrote:
    It's useful for one thing and one thing only. Logic Pro.

    Renoise ftw!


    Renoise looks great but I've never been able to get the hang of trackers. Lack of patience is my problem.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »17.01.14 - 20:54
    Profile
  • vox
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Posts: 462 from 2003/11/25
    From: Belgrade
    Quote:

    Kronos wrote:
    It has been established that the PS3 is not a viable target (to weak CPU, little RAM, NVIDIA-GFX, access restricted to old units not been updated for quite a while etc etc....).

    MorphOS making proper use of Cell would require about as much of an rewrite than porting it to x86 or ARM. Only difference is that with x86 and ARM 3rd-party apps could use the full potential with little more than just a recompile.

    All this to achieve what ? Run on HW that can't be obtained by even remotly normal means (since PS3 is out) ??


    Well, since it is PPC32 compatibile, I doubt it that hard. At least Linux community has proven that. 3rd party x86 and ARM apps will be easier to recompile then PPC32? I hope you are right.

    As much as I see PS3 can still be obtained even in packaed non used state.
    I see it as way advanced arhitecture to PPC Macs, even G5 ones in many aspects,
    but as you say ... if its impossible, better leave it alone here.

    However, I will still get that cheap and ugly gaming platform and use Linux on it.
    Proof of concept.

    @Andreas

    Yes I would pay to what ... Varisys to do such board with high end cell, high end RadeonHD, High end SCSI and SATA, as many PCI and PCI-E slots, Blue Ray Recorder, all card reader and USB 3.0 and different tune you would sing. Especially if it would have both laptop and touschreen versions and do a perfect multimedia of all kinds :-)

    And would run PS,PS2,PS3 and older console as well as DosBox, Hatari, UAE JIT and other emulators lincesed and included with ROMs within OS. Even Sinclair 128, CBM 128 and Sinclair QL emu, for historical reasons.

    It would come with MorphOS Cell SE and emulate whatever needed system in sandboxes, and include native Fedora 20 sandbox for Linux apps :-) As well as GIMP, Blender and OpenLibre native MorphOS cell only ports. And some last Sound Blaster onboard.

    But once I became a millionaire, count on it! :-)

    [ Edited by vox 17.01.2014 - 23:36 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    x1000 user, ASAP Vampire Standalone user, future MOS user
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
  • »17.01.14 - 23:27
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 10997 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    >> MorphOS making proper use of Cell would require about as much of an rewrite
    >> than porting it to x86 or ARM.

    > since it is PPC32 compatibile, I doubt it that hard. At least Linux community
    > has proven that.

    I doubt that a simple port to the Cell PPE is what Kronos meant by "proper use of Cell". And regarding what the Linux community has proven I quote yourself: "YDL is yet not well optimized".

    >> Only difference is that with x86 and ARM 3rd-party apps could use the full
    >> potential with little more than just a recompile.

    > 3rd party x86 and ARM apps will be easier to recompile then PPC32?

    No, that's obviously not what he meant. Hint: the SPEs don't implement any PPC ISA.

    > I would pay to [...] Varisys to do such board [...] and different tune you would sing.

    Such board would surely remove most of the PS3's limitations discussed in this thread, but the Cell would still be the Cell, and you know my opinion on it in terms of desktop computing.

    > And would run [...] PS3

    Just because a board has a Cell chip doesn't mean it can run PS3 games. There's more to the PS3 than just the Cell.

    > OpenLibre native MorphOS cell only ports.

    In case you mean LibreOffice here: Cell-only port would imply SPE usage, but I doubt a word processor can make good use of the SPEs.
  • »18.01.14 - 00:16
    Profile