• vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Yep, completely forgot about the PA6T.
    64 bit, thanks Andreas.

And I never really thought to look at AmigaWorld.

As to Vox's contention that the Cell is more "modern" than the G5, well it is newer.

Cell is availiable, can be developed futher.

We could play with PS3 and one day develop real innovative machine
    using main CPU all those programmable units. As far as I understand,
    its NOT just Altivec, one unit could do MUI, other Reggae and so on (or game AI, rendering, visual effects, screen dragging ...) cooperate with nVIDIA gfx or in some other system some RadeonHD.

Needed drivers can be ported from Yellow Dog Linux.

Even if its experimental MOS 4 Cell special edition with limited
    number of apps, GIMP, Blender and few Linux + some best AmigaOS 3/MorphOS apps
    could really demo a nice and multimedia usable HW/SW combo.

As far as I understand Cell is smaller then G5 and some new board can be developed around it, as well as CPU itself is basis of supercomputer in chain, and alone as single Cell can be developed and scaled further. G5 and PA6T have reached its maximum and I am not that much impressed (yet) by X5000 CPU until proven wrong.

Quick Google shown:

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/18448-New-IBM-CELL-benchmark-may-2006-vs-G5

Quote:

PS3 CELL is About 30% less powerful than blade server(2 core less) : 35 time - 30%=24 time faster than the dual G5.
    So in theory PS3 should be 10 times better at 3d imaging and apps than the XB360. Even if I cut this in half it is still 5 times better.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6537

YDL is yet not well optimized, and Cell optimized MOS SE with some apps could be a real Cell showoff

Quote:

However - if you custom code for the Cell, it can do some things that are very hard to do with normal processors. In fact, the Cell resembles a graphic card GPU more than a regular CPU. For example, it can do vector mathematics quite well.
    */
    It is true, I am using the Cell for scientific computation, Cell's performance depends on how much I can tame it, the creature is still wild to me.
    I would expect 2-digits performance over my office i7 by the end of this year though the YDLPS3 is my home computer and my boy's game machine.
    Cell's OS and Office suit performance does not bother me much, I thought YDL team had done some great low level job to optimize the OS code.
    I only worry about my next cell machine, can Fixstars sell the powerstation with a Cell processor rather than G5s? Or, even better, only sell Cell's motherboard (integrated even better, moderate GPU is OK), I just plug in with everything PC components

Maybe its even possible to do Cell PCI or PCI-E card for Pegs and SAM460x :-) Even Efika :-)

Cell alone can do much much more then most of CPUs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Cell#Possible_applications

[ Edited by vox 12.01.2014 - 17:53 ]
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »12.01.14 - 17:43
    Kronos
    Cell might be neat in one way or theother, but in the field of personal computing it is just as much a dead end as PPC.
  • »12.01.14 - 18:12
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Cell might be neat in one way or theother, but in the field of personal computing it is just as much a dead end as PPC.

More so, they are still planning new additions to various PPC lines, the Cell is toast.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »12.01.14 - 20:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

It's by far even more dead than PPC for desktop PC's. It was never meant to be a desktop CPU even back when it was new, it has poor performance by todays standards, and hasn't even the cell concept for parallel computing been made redundant and obsoleted by CUDA/OpenCL years ago already, and even more so on modern GPU's? Nobody is making new Cell HW, especially not desktop motherboards, and IBM even ditched the Cell development a few years ago. So I'd say it's even "deader than dead"!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.01.14 - 21:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Cell [...] can be developed futher. [...] single Cell can be developed and scaled further.

By whom?

> We could one day develop real innovative machine using main CPU all those
    > programmable units.

Who is "we"?

> one unit could do MUI

I believe GUI classes are too intertwined with the actual program logic to allow for execution by something like Cell SPEs.

> Needed drivers can be ported from Yellow Dog Linux.

The use of the SPEs from OtherOS is openly documented.

> some new board can be developed around it

Of course that would be possible, but who should do it and why?

> YDL is yet not well optimized

And it won't be optimized for Cell any better as Fixstars gave up on the Cell years ago. The last YDL version supporting Cell was 6.2 in 2009. Starting with 6.2.1 in 2010, YDL went x86+CUDA, so no PPC support at all. With 7.0 in 2012, YDL has switched back to PPC, but this time POWER7-only, no Cell nor any other PPC.

> Maybe its even possible to do Cell PCI or PCI-E card

There're already Cell PCIe cards. As for Cell PCI cards, who should make them?
  • »12.01.14 - 21:39
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

Hey mr moderator, you wanted to share some wisdom?

Cell is dead end, XDR is bad, BlueRay is awful?
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »13.01.14 - 07:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Cell is dead end

It sure is. Especially so for desktop PC's.

Quote:

XDR is bad

I'm sure it had its points, however I only see DDR3/GDDR5 today (even the new Mac Pro, which is a monster, spec wise), perhaps for a reason?

Quote:

BlueRay is awful?

I suppose it's good for what it was meant to be, a next-gen dvd, but optical disks per se has become something of the past, or at least it's heading in that direction very rapidly. If I hadn't already been owning a DVDR unit that could be re-used from my old PC, I wouldn't have put one into the tower of the new PC I built. I hardly ever use it, and a portable one would have done just fine for those rare occasions, and it could be kept in a drawer the rest of the time. The only reason I ever used the bluray in my PS3 was because most game came in this way only. But they are slow, have fixed limits, gets damaged easily, you have to get your ass up from the sofa to change them, they cost money, they create pollution when being produced, and adds to the huge waste mountains when you discard them. Frankly, I don't se a lot of positive sides with bluray.
  • »13.01.14 - 12:13
    hooligan
    Quote:

I suppose it's good for what it was meant to be, a next-gen dvd, but optical disks per se has become something of the past, or at least it's heading in that direction very rapidly

They said the same about cd's and dvd's, both selling today and will in the future, as will bluray.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »13.01.14 - 12:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

I suppose it's good for what it was meant to be, a next-gen dvd, but optical disks per se has become something of the past, or at least it's heading in that direction very rapidly

They said the same about cd's and dvd's, both selling today and will in the future, as will bluray.

Yeah, but noone uses them for computer purpose anymore. Whatever-drives often are an addon these days. I personally did not *burn* a media for quite some time, so I did not even notice my drive was broken for probably several years.

They may still sell disc based media these days, but the use of home made discs is quite rare. It is easier to store the stuff on local drives and use them on all systems instead.

Speaking about the topic. It has been said porting to a console won´t be happen. Also the PS3 is a quite bad target these days. The WiiU is more powerful, has the right 3 core cpu, 2GB of memory and other cool features like build in display, nfc, camera, mic, but it still will not happen, as it makes simply no sense.

Even porting to the X1000 would make more sense than porting to a game console.

Geit
  • »13.01.14 - 16:07
    hooligan
    @Geit
    Quote:

Yeah, but noone uses them for computer purpose anymore

Ok. How do you / did you install all the versions of MorphOS? I have always had to burn the damn disc.
  • »13.01.14 - 17:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    @Geit
    Quote:

Ok. How do you / did you install all the versions of MorphOS? I have always had to burn the damn disc.

I copied the boot.img from the mac_ppc32 folder to boot: then rebooted. Then I mounted the ISO and ran Tools/IWizard but Jaca told me this method is very bad and not supported.

The other way is to make a 512MB FAT16 partition on a USB stick and copy the boot.img from the ISO along with the ISO image itself and boot it from open firmware.

http://www.meta-morphos.org/faq.php?id_cat=11&myfaq=yes&categories=Mac+mini#32

[ Edited by Intuition 13.01.2014 - 18:02 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »13.01.14 - 18:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    @Geit
    Quote:

MorphOS supports booting from ISO file for quite some time.

Geit.
  • »13.01.14 - 18:44
    hooligan
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    @Geit
    Quote:

Geit.

How? No such thing is mentioned in installation guide.
  • »13.01.14 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    @Geit
    Quote:

How? No such thing is mentioned in installation guide.

It is explained here for example. On Macs it basically works the same.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 13.01.2014 - 19:52 ]
  • »13.01.14 - 19:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > How? No such thing is mentioned in installation guide.

It has been introduced with MorphOS 2.5:

"BootImage boot parameter (usage bi="devicename:morphos.iso")"
    http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/2.5
  • »13.01.14 - 20:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

geit schrieb:

Yeah, but noone uses them for computer purpose anymore. Whatever-drives often are an addon these days. I personally did not *burn* a media for quite some time, so I did not even notice my drive was broken for probably several years.

They may still sell disc based media these days, but the use of home made discs is quite rare. It is easier to store the stuff on local drives and use them on all systems instead.

Did you ever hear about anecdotal evidence ? :)
  • »13.01.14 - 20:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:

Did you ever hear about anecdotal evidence ? :)

Tsts didn't get the last newspeak-memo ?

It's only anecdotal when it's going against your point of view!

Otherwise it's called "life experience".
  • »13.01.14 - 21:14
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Cell is dead end

Quote:

It sure is. Especially so for desktop PC's.

Who am I doubt THM judgement, especially after using the same logo?
    Well, I see it as grat multi purpose thing, way better then XMOS/XORRO.
    Almost unique CPU. Maybe IBM still use or develop it, unlike PWREfficient
    that was killed as baby.

Quote:

XDR is bad

Quote:

I'm sure it had its points, however I only see DDR3/GDDR5 today (even the new Mac Pro, which is a monster, spec wise), perhaps for a reason?

Sarcasm. I know dozen of memory standards that were expensive but advanced (Kind of BETA vs VHS) but didn`t make it well on global market, due to IT "Price hunger". Quality stuff is rare to see. Way better than DDR of that time, but 256MB is limit I also cry for (Oh, Sony!!!). However, much can be stored in way faster GPU memory or paged when possible. Linux can do it, a bit - can we do better? YDL is reported to be poor just because its ported but not optimized.

Quote:

BlueRay is awful?

Quote:

I suppose it's good for what it was meant to be, a next-gen dvd, but optical disks per se has become something of the past, or at least it's heading in that direction very rapidly. If I hadn't already been owning a DVDR unit that could be re-used from my old PC, I wouldn't have put one into the tower of the new PC I built. I hardly ever use it, and a portable one would have done just fine for those rare occasions, and it could be kept in a drawer the rest of the time. The only reason I ever used the bluray in my PS3 was because most game came in this way only. But they are slow, have fixed limits, gets damaged easily, you have to get your ass up from the sofa to change them, they cost money, they create pollution when being produced, and adds to the huge waste mountains when you discard them. Frankly, I don't se a lot of positive sides with bluray.

Its de facto standard and MorphOS should look to Linux solutions on using it.
    Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »15.01.14 - 20:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:

Either you have been living under a rock or under a bridge...
  • »15.01.14 - 21:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I see it as grat multi purpose thing

As it was explained numerous times in this thread alone, the Cell is not exactly what most would call a multi-purpose CPU. Sure, it can do everything in some way or another, but for many desktop computing purposes it just doesn't cut it.

> Maybe IBM still use or develop it

If there's any truth in what IBM said in public, they don't.

> unlike PWREfficient that was killed as baby.

By Apple, not by IBM.

> much can be stored in way faster GPU memory

256 MiB VRAM isn't so much when to be used as system RAM. Even using all except 64 MiB VRAM as system RAM would give only 448 MiB. Besides, VRAM may be faster than system RAM, but only when accessed by the GPU. CPU access to VRAM is surely slower than to system RAM.

> YDL is reported to be poor just because its ported but not optimized.

You can optimize a desktop OS only so much for Cell. Optimization in Cell-context would primarily refer to the SPEs, and it has already been explained that they are not really suited for desktop computing purposes.

> Soon will come BR Recorders and combo drives ...

Blu-ray combo drives have been listed since at least 2007, external Blu-ray recorders since at least 2008 and internal ones since at least 2009:

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdrom&xf=749_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdramext&xf=578_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
    http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/eu/?cat=dvdram&xf=578_Blu-ray&sort=p#xf_top
  • »15.01.14 - 22:51
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

... in Serbia.

Anyway, BR is standard, at least for high HDI countries.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »16.01.14 - 12:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

vox wrote:

... in Serbia.

Anyway, BR is standard, at least for high HDI countries.

If you carry media (games/movies) from stores home it is standard.

Why whould anyone burn discs, beside making a backup of his computer harddrive? And speaking backup, I won´t even trust these media more than a burned DVD or CD, so I prefer storage on NAS.

In 2014 there are so many cheaper and easier to use ways, than using crappy selfmade discs with a limited lifetime.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 16.01.2014 - 14:21 ]
  • »16.01.14 - 14:19
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Why whould anyone burn discs, beside making a backup of his computer harddrive? And speaking backup, I won´t even trust these media more than a burned DVD or CD, so I prefer storage on NAS.

In 2014 there are so many cheaper and easier to use ways, than using crappy selfmade discs with a limited lifetime.

Geit

I have Amiga backups on CD from 90s and they are 100% readable, unlike
    storage media that dies in few years. Your choice.

However, Double Layer Blue Ray is greatest laser disc so far.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »16.01.14 - 15:14
    hooligan
    Quote:

geit wrote:

Technology of writing the data and the quality of discs has risen to a top notch level since many years. That said I have still perfectly working cd's written about 15 years ago.. wouldn't be surprised if they outlive me. Having burned thousands of cd's and dvd's in my life I would bet only a fraction is not working if tested today.
  • »16.01.14 - 19:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    However, Double Layer Blue Ray is greatest laser disc so far.

Bluray support is a completely different issue. Bluray support should be added "at some point", regardless of whether or not the development team would be too crazy, and risk getting sued by Sony by doing "proper" PS3 port, or doing crappy useless "OtherOS" version that no-one can run anymore. Both would be without 3D acceleration anyway.

Bluray support should be on the todo list, but with REALLY low priority.

...but of course MUCH higher priority than "Waste time doing useless PS3 port" :-D

By the way, is it possible to have polls on morphzone? Would be nice to have some poll like:
    Should MorphOS team do "2D-only" port of MorphOS for PS3?

Yes, OtherOS support is fine.
    Yes, but needs to work on newer firmware by using latest hacks (and risk getting sued by Sony)
    No, because there are already better platforms, such as Efika, that can run MorphOS better than PS3 ever would.
    No, because development time shuld be better spent on supporting sensible targets (more PPC macs)
    No, because developemt time should be spent on new OS features instead.

There's certain VERY vocal minority that claims it would make sense, would be nice to know if it would be "bigger-than-1".

Sometimes I wonder if he's an undercover OS4 user trying to damage MorphOS by trying to make the development team waste time on worthless work instead of more important things... Just kidding :-D
  • »17.01.14 - 01:11
    Profile Visit Website