Open Power
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    It is obvious that everything below amiga gui and graphics should be dropped.
    Replacing old api with new not compatible with today's standards is dumb idea.
    I still hope MOS Team will made something usefull not shit like AROS.
  • »02.05.19 - 09:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Are you sure that UAE even overtook Amiga-m86k? Did you ever set full chipset emulation in WinUAE? :-D

Yes, yes it has. It doesn't have the nostalgia feel of using an original keyboard and looking at a crt monitor with scanlines, but for functionality and speed it easily overtook Amiga-68k. Heck, I have an Amiga 500 with Vampire v2. It is great! It cannot run Payback as well or as fast as WinUAE. Even if you had an A4000T with CSPPC and Voodoo3 3000, it would not run Payback as fast as WinUAE.

In WinUAE you can dial in any settings needed. You can literally run any software ever made for the Amiga. Real hardware is not as fortunate. Sideways and backwards compatibility was never an Amiga strong suit.

Quote:

And I think the G5 has already been topped by the X5000 in at least some aspects, even if it is still faster when Altivec is used.

It has a lower power draw, that's about it. Even if it did come even with my G5 2.7 one day, it would still cost literally 25x times as much as I paid for my G5 with MorphOS license.
  • »02.05.19 - 18:01
    Kronos
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:

It has a lower power draw, that's about it.

Better (possible) GPUs are also a thing.

At least as long as G5s are restricted to AGP.
    --------------------- May the 4th be with you ------------------
    Mother Russia dance of the Zar, don't you know how lucky you are
  • »02.05.19 - 18:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I think the G5 has already been topped by the X5000 in at least
    >> some aspects, even if it is still faster when Altivec is used.

> It has a lower power draw, that's about it.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=11137&start=603

With a 2.7 GHz G5 instead of my 2.3 GHz G5, the index of the G5 would increase from 1.00 to 1.17. This would result in the 2.7 GHz G5 being slower than the 2.0 GHz P5020 in 33% of cases (non-SIMD integer operations).
  • »04.05.19 - 02:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    Yes, yes it has. It doesn't have the nostalgia feel of using an original keyboard and looking at a crt monitor with scanlines, but for functionality and speed it easily overtook Amiga-68k. Heck, I have an Amiga 500 with Vampire v2. It is great! It cannot run Payback as well or as fast as WinUAE. Even if you had an A4000T with CSPPC and Voodoo3 3000, it would not run Payback as fast as WinUAE.

In WinUAE you can dial in any settings needed. You can literally run any software ever made for the Amiga. Real hardware is not as fortunate. Sideways and backwards compatibility was never an Amiga strong suit.

Of course I do know and use WinUAE from time to time. Everybody does. ;-) My point is not much about nostalgia here, it's about WinUAE slowing down a lot if you use Full Chipset Emulation and some cycle exact timings and/or MMU emulation. The config imitating my A1200/030 sometimes is actually slower than the real A1200.

But that's ok as I don't use it regularly. Software/Games which depend mostly on the CPU and/or use a RTG screen will undoubtedly get a great speed boost from WinUAE. That of course is a big plus for anybody using such software, but does not matter much for me, 'cause WinUAE can get slow in my use cases and I am too lazy to switch configs and reboot. ;-)
    Talos II Secure Workstation. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 7,3. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.11 / Gentoo Linux] | A1200. ACA-1233, Indivision AGA Mk2. [Amiga OS 3.2]
  • »05.05.19 - 11:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    WinUAE isn't perfect but it covers just about anything you can do on the Amiga that you can't do elsewhere. That's what it was designed for.

Playing later Amiga games like Napalm, Payback (with caveats) Foundation or Genetic Species will run faster than any real Amiga system (won't comment on Vampire as I haven't seen it in action). And whdload works on basic 040+MMU emulation. You can play any Amiga game you like, from ADF for WHDLoad images: I don't know if there's a single one that is incompatible with WinUAE.

Playing Doom or Quake on it is iffy, but you can play doom on Windows. Same with watching video or browsing.

When phase5 decided to go the PPC route, there still was a genuine advantage in being able to mix old Amiga software with new, even doing things like using PPC-native shared libraries with old 68k apps which AROS for example could not do. Not to mention that you'd lose most of the interest if you decided to just launch a new non-backwards-compatible OS.

Today, that need is long gone. Insisting on PPC is still chasing that late 90s Amiga that doesn't even work in this day and age. There's simply no need for it any more.

[ Edited by KennyR 05.05.2019 - 21:54 ]
  • »05.05.19 - 21:50
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    From developer POV ppc is interesting because it is not a pc.
    commodity hardware? No problem but first AROS/MOS/ or any other amiga like solution must be not a shit compared to Windows/macOS/Linux.
  • »05.05.19 - 22:30