Refurbished Mac PPC HW with MorphOS coming?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Background:

I don't know if you noticed/followed the various threads about OS4 OpenLinux (which obviously is not the "Amiga" OS4, but a Linux distro). It has caused some turmoil among Amiga brand loyals, especially since they are experimenting with various versions of "boing balls" as logotypes, "threatened" to call it "Amiga" instead of "OS4", etc.

They say they will provide their Linux distro for PPC shortly, for some reason I really can't understand, but I think they have an idea of providing their distro as an option to Amiga PPC users who would also need/want a Linux install on their Machine. Until it goes PPC they are beginning this courting strategy to win Amigans hearts by bundling AROS in their distro for x86. Yada yada. Not really interesting in a MorphOS perspective I guess.

Anyway, if you are really interested about this you can read all their blog posts by scrolling down on this site: http://www.os4online.com/

They are also beginning to sell refurbished x86 HW. And now we are closing in on the point of my post! :-)

Refurbished PPC HW with MorphOS pre-installed coming?

Some days ago they posted their intention of offering refurbished x86 systems:

"We are announcing that we are teaming up with one of our sponsors,
    PC OpenSystems LLC as a part of their green initiative, They are making available immediately refurbished systems. These systems are typically off lease and are sold to them by their clients and tested thoroughly with the same quality assurance tests they perform on their new hardware. Machines that do not meet that quality assurance are scrapped and recycled and those that do pass are available for sale through the OpenSystems MarketPlace at a reduced price typically for less than $300.00. They are also eligible for financing through PayPal. These are great systems for an introduction to our open source Linux distribution, OS/4 OpenLinux. They are also fantastic machines for surfing the internet, productivity and office tasks and even for a first PC for college dorms.

$10.00 from each sale will be donated to the Global Green Grants Fund

So dont wait around on eBay and perhaps spend more than you want on refurbished PC's give back to the community and make good use of systems that are still 100% functional."

...and yesterday they added this:

"[...] Now, refurbished PowerPC Macs. These machines have life left in them, as leases end and those machines become part of our Green strategy. We will be taking in PowerBook G4's, Mac minis and G5's. Until OS/4 PowerLinux becomes available we will ship those systems by default with MorphOS. Which is another Amiga like operating system. Its very elegant, very powerful and even more modern than the current release of AmigaOS 4.1.

About MorphOS

MorphOS website"

As a general note (unrelated to "OpenSystems" or whatever), I think this is an interesting idea. A centralized supply/vendor of refurbished systems with MorphOS pre-installed. A 30-day warranty, enough to check it out yourself if it's working. Most certainly MorphOS keyfiles won't be installed, but who knows, I guess it would be possible to cut a deal with the MorphOS team of a bulk purchase of say, 20/50/100 licenses with a great discount against an up-front payment? This could mean both improved profit margins as well as an attractive total cost for a refurbished, guaranteed to work MorphOS system with keyfile included.

When it comes to this "OS4 OpenLinux/OpenSystems" thing in particular - Who knows if it will really happen? While I must say that I find the whole situation that is being played up over at AW.net to be rather amusing, it doesn't quite gives the impression of a serious/professional attitude. Not that this would be the first time we see this in the history of the Amiga community, micro companies with only one or a few people involved often lets "their" (their own, personal) personality shine through, and not always for the best. We have seen that in Hyperion, Amiga Inc, Genesi, Individual Compters, etc, etc. I guess it's a micro-company thing.

But who knows? I mean, the x86 machines are there already. And it won't cost a thing to keep an eye on that site for a while. Who knows, maybe some Mac PPC HW will pop up some day? Maybe it won't? Doesn't really matter. It's not like it's a shortage of MorphOS Hardware... ;-)

:-)

The refurbished store is here: http://os4store.blogspot.se/p/refurbished-hardware.html
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.07.13 - 17:16
    Kronos
    "These machines are less than 5 years old."

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........kay .........................
  • »19.07.13 - 17:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you can read all their blog posts by scrolling down on this site: http://www.os4online.com/

No, you can't, as several of them got deleted:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7509&forum=3&start=69
  • »19.07.13 - 17:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    "These machines are less than 5 years old."

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........kay .........................

AFAIK they actually are, albeit some only by a few months (at least if you look at the release date, you could of course also look at their EOL date, or when they actually were sold, but who knows about that? ;-))

5 years, that's a lot of age for a computer if you think about it! But I guess if they start putting PPC machines there, they would have to increase that figure a few notches still! :lol:

:-)
  • »19.07.13 - 18:11
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    What's so wrong about 5 years old hardware? Most x86/x64 from 2007 are perfectly able to cope todays' computer needs, including 1080p/H.264 playback.
  • »19.07.13 - 19:14
    Kronos
    @unbuntu

Nothing wron with 5 year old HW, it's just that those Macs would come with Core2Duo or Xenon CPUs not PPCs :-P
  • »19.07.13 - 21:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Nothing wron with 5 year old HW, it's just that those Macs would come with Core2Duo
    > or Xenon CPUs not PPCs :-P

Yes, as takemehomegrandma said, he would have to raise that figure by a few years as soon as he starts selling PPC Macs, but currently the statement seems to be true for the machines offered as far as I can tell.
  • »19.07.13 - 21:31
    Kronos
    @Wölfie

G5 PowerMac were discontinued in August 2006
    Don't know bout yours, but my calendar say July 2013

[ Edited by Kronos 19.07.2013 - 22:39 ]
  • »19.07.13 - 21:36
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    G5 and green computer in one sentence. I love g5 but this was hard to me.
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »19.07.13 - 21:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Yes, as takemehomegrandma said, he would have to raise that figure by a
    >> few years as soon as he starts selling PPC Macs, but currently the statement
    >> seems to be true for the machines offered as far as I can tell.

> G5 PowerMac were discontinued in August 2006 Don't know bout yours,
    > but my calendar say July 2013

Same here, that's why I said "he would have to raise that figure by a few years as soon as he starts selling PPC Macs". In case you didn't notice, the webshop site containing the statement in question does *not* offer any PPC Macs currently. So I'm not sure why you're relating the statement to any PPC Macs.
  • »19.07.13 - 22:41
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Derringer wrote:
    G5 and green computer in one sentence. I love g5 but this was hard to me.

Its our Green INITIATIVE. The PPC Macs will have manufacturing dates and all details associated with it. Our hopes are to keep these machines out of the landfill. The x86 machines we generally purchase from our clients are more than capable of handling HD, are 64 bit and are still good.
  • »19.07.13 - 23:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @RobertJDohnert

Please note that not all Mac PPC models will be interesting to the MorphOS crowd, but I'm sure you already knew that from reading the MorphOS Hardware Compatibility List! ;-)
  • »20.07.13 - 01:40
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Personally, I prefer to fix my own hardware.
    And each of my machines has cost less than the price of a MorphOS license (except for the MDD where I had to replace in power supply - damned pricey component).
    Its not like they are hard to work on.
    Most stuff just requires a #2 Phillips head screwdriver.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »20.07.13 - 03:02