I'm new to MorphOS!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Hey everyone. I am moving to the Peg from the Amiga soon. I am a regular poster on amiga.org. How much is MOS like the amiga? I'm using an A3000 with mediator and CS Mk III 060 now. I've got a CSPPC being returned soon I hope from DCE.

If anyone can help me locate a Peg II when they come to the USA it would be a great help.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.10.03 - 09:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Well.

It's like the AmigaOS but:
    - FASTER !!!!
    - more beautiful (skin, 32 bit icons ...) many eyecandy
    - Full PowerPC
    - comes with more tool than the AmigaOS (audio player, browser,
    fxPaint lite ...)
    - and moreover there is a MPlayer port ;-)

Bye
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »19.10.03 - 09:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @Acill:

I can speak only for me (but I think most of the other MOS users will agree too).

I moved from my very old A4KCS MK II 060/ Cybervision64/etc. to Peg/MOS in April. And what I should say, since that time I turned on the A4K only to made some backups from my old files or transfer some files from some old floppys to cdrw. The pegasos has fully replaced my A4K as main system (and to be honest: I didn't expected this, when I buyed the Peg).

With MOS1.3 only 2 programs i missed very much... one was Delitracker and the other one was PPaint. They didn't worked. With the MOS1.4 update both programs work now also on the Peg (ppaint has only a few small issues left, but is usable).

regards,
    tokai
  • »19.10.03 - 09:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    @Acill

You should feel right at home on MorphOS. Most of the difference is not having to look for about a dozen or so hacks :-P Most of your non-hardware hitting software should work (and that can be fun, because I've found some software that I thought for sure hit the hardware but didn't, and others that I thought didn't--but really did)

Anyway, I would make sure to keep your keyfiles for things like IBrowse, MicroDot, Miami, etc. I think that in itself should speak volumes.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »19.10.03 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well I have to say I am excited to hear everything. Amiga OS4 looks okay, but its still not out. It sounds like MOS is everything I want in a new system. I just placed an order for a Pegasos II G4@1000 from the online ordering site. I cant wait to get it now!!!

Oh yeah, will all the RTG and PPC games run? Like Payback ect? Things that dont hit hardware I know. Does MOS act just like AOS? For example can I just un lha an amiga application in a folder in MOS as if I was using AOS 3.9 and click the icon to install/run?
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.10.03 - 22:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Well, I can't say for all games, but I have the 68k version of "Feeble Files" here, and it runs quite well. Also, there is support for both PowerUP and WarpUP. Lha works, and there is a MOS native version included. You will have to acquire installer from an existing source (Aminet, AminetCD, or any of the million other sources of Installer).

Congradulations on your purchase, and I hope the resources on this site will be of some help to you. Keep in mind that some of the listings (RAM for example) were explicitly for the Pegasos-I. If you have the capacity in some way,

I would suggest making a backup of your harddrives from your Amiga. In my opinion, this will give you the best start on your Pegasos. In fact, I have a complete "wb3.9" subdirectory on my MorphOS system partition, so I can move things over as I need them. (You'll soon be amazed at the amount of third party stuff that finds it's way to the harddrive!)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »20.10.03 - 00:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Hi Acill,

It will be a good move, trust me. Also OS4 will be in the same way MOS is. I mean it's not like certain old stuff does run on OS4 and not on MOS. But you see, it's not here. And running only Linux, well not fun for a lot. A lot of people bought the A1 and thought it would take a few months before OS4 is ready. I got mine in the beginning of this year after waiting for almost a year. If you ask me, and I am being honest, OS4 will not be out there any time soon. My best guess is towards the end of 2004. And that is just too late.

Me wonders if we got a OS4 skin for MorphOS, it would be just like OS4 but better. Hmmm maybe they buy Pegs and ship it with MorphOS/OS4 skin and sell it as the new Amiga.

But back on topic, what also is important is the support you get. What if you need support when something goes wrong? Well for what I have seen and experienced the support is far out superb. You can quote me on that.

Coder
  • »20.10.03 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    Quote:

Oh yeah, will all the RTG and PPC games run? Like Payback ect? Things that dont hit hardware I know. Does MOS act just like AOS? For example can I just un lha an amiga application in a folder in MOS as if I was using AOS 3.9 and click the icon to install/run?

For games to work they'll need to support RTG and AHI (there is no PAULA emulation.) From what I understand, Wipeout 2097 will allow you to play the first level (if you've got a Warp3D supported video card [currently the Voodoo3]). Payback won't run because it doesn't support AHI. Freespace works but it might crash during the "mission briefing" if you have narrated dialogue enabled. It also won't properly play the video cut-scenes (although the latest patch allows you to have video played by an external player such as FroggerNG, which helps alot!).

There's also a native Quake (and QuakeII apparently), ScummVM, MAME, UAE ports. (UAE on my G3-600 and low-res screen plays ECS games at a decent speed, although the added power for a G4-1gig will probably be just right for most titles. It also finally has joystick support, but it doesn't support two buttons or CD32 pad emulation just yet.) Umm... And well there are other games of course but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Oh, and you can also play Alien Breed 3D-II TKG with the RTG patch! :) [Hmm... I'll have to look up what I've got installed in my games directory once I get home.]

If you have loads of amiga disks that you would like to use, I would recommend looking into the Catweasel Mk III. My A4000 is extremely unstable (breathe on it and it crashes) and I had all but given up trying to back them all up on my Amiga and put them on CD. Now I can do that with the peg. ;)
    Steph
  • »20.10.03 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Acill ? .....
    ACILL ???????

1st Coder, Red, Kenny, Wilse and now that ....
    better not to think of who might come next :-o

/note to myself : stop making sense on A.org :-D

Welcome on the dark-side, don't forget to take your blue while you sign the
    compulsory BBRV-trolling-agreement :-P
  • »20.10.03 - 15:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Coder
    Hi,

Kronos is right. I have been brought into the light. :-)

Why wait for something that's already there? Well, I have too. Spend a small fortune for that A1 not to mention shipping it acros the world. I got one of them free OS4 coupons too.

I really wonder about my party pack coupon. It said 100$ discount on the A1 or free OS4. But I get OS4 for free anyway because of the early bird offer.

Coder
  • »20.10.03 - 16:27
    Profile Visit Website