FinalWriter!
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Still no news on this project, 2020 came and went, as did 2021, and we are nearly out of 2022 with, sadly, no news for a few months on its progress &/or likelihood of its release. :-(

I did notice that there is no comment on the AmigaNews thread mentioned above, but found other news on Amiga News 12-July-2022 - FinalWriter progress, which links to FinalWriter's own website though there's not much activity on there, apart from a page with a few gallery images.

I have sent a contact message to the site for any news there might be, so I am awaiting a reply, and will pass that information on here, unless this thread gets updated by its author sooner than any reply that I may get back. :-)

I would have loved for it to have been released already however it's a fairly complex project due to how much work is involved in the update.
  • »08.01.23 - 00:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

terminills schrieb:
    I'm sorry I do tend to forget to check this site. I'd like to say we've done a feature freeze(feature creep is evil btw) for this version and it's now down to bugfixes.

Good news!

Well here's to me being wrong about the feature creep but I think it will be a pleasant surprise once done.
  • »08.01.23 - 00:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    It will be great when this is finally shipping to customers.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »08.01.23 - 02:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

terminills wrote: I would have loved for it to have been released already however it's a fairly complex project due to how much work is involved in the update.

Hi Timothy (terminills), nice at last to hear back from you on the FinalWriter v7 project, how long since your last update here . . . 11th February 2022 - (almost an anniversary date - should I get a cake and card arranged? :-? 8-D

I too would have loved to have been kept up to date with ANY progress, but even the FinalWriter (GoDaddy) website cannot be monitored for progress, and even an email request for further progress - got the reply back from the contact email address as: "There’s been a fairly significant update made but my developer is not ready for me to announce it." :-o - which was 1st December 2022 (when I posted the reply that I got back) - which is over 1 month ago, with no updates regularly updated anywhere else (including the Amiga.de/news forum) as even the elusive amiga.de/news that is supposed to have 34 updates on the project, the last reply I can find was by Amigaharry, on 13-Jul-2022, 1259hrs, about 6 months ago, which was a reply to your comment the day before, and that seems to be the last comment for this project that I can source on amiga-news.de/comments/thread - for the 13th July 2022, or anywhere else, or have you updated some website that could be better monitored for such information? :-?

My comments here do not mean that I do not want you to succeed with your project, as I do, but how are you to keep enthusiasm going for it, when it is languishing, long and hard, in the seemingly data 'doldrums'? :-?

I hope you reply back here soon, and often, with updates on your progress you are making with FinalWriter v7. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »08.01.23 - 07:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the elusive amiga.de/news

Elusive indeed: "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." ;-)

> on 13-Jul-2022 [...] seems to be the last comment for this
    > project that I can source [...] anywhere

There were some comments end of December.
  • »08.01.23 - 10:44
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote: I would have loved for it to have been released already however it's a fairly complex project due to how much work is involved in the update.

Hi Timothy (terminills), nice at last to hear back from you on the FinalWriter v7 project, how long since your last update here . . . 11th February 2022 - (almost an anniversary date - should I get a cake and card arranged? :-? 8-D

I too would have loved to have been kept up to date with ANY progress, but even the FinalWriter (GoDaddy) website cannot be monitored for progress, and even an email request for further progress - got the reply back from the contact email address as: "There’s been a fairly significant update made but my developer is not ready for me to announce it." :-o - which was 1st December 2022 (when I posted the reply that I got back) - which is over 1 month ago, with no updates regularly updated anywhere else (including the Amiga.de/news forum) as even the elusive amiga.de/news that is supposed to have 34 updates on the project, the last reply I can find was by Amigaharry, on 13-Jul-2022, 1259hrs, about 6 months ago, which was a reply to your comment the day before, and that seems to be the last comment for this project that I can source on amiga-news.de/comments/thread - for the 13th July 2022, or anywhere else, or have you updated some website that could be better monitored for such information? :-?

My comments here do not mean that I do not want you to succeed with your project, as I do, but how are you to keep enthusiasm going for it, when it is languishing, long and hard, in the seemingly data 'doldrums'? :-?

I hope you reply back here soon, and often, with updates on your progress you are making with FinalWriter v7. :-D

I'll be honest I don't follow the Amiga sites as much as I used to. I was asked by my developer not to post about the current changes until they're fully implemented(just in case they didn't work out the way he wanted.) so I haven't been.
  • »08.01.23 - 11:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

terminills wrote: I'll be honest I don't follow the Amiga sites as much as I used to. I was asked by my developer not to post about the current changes until they're fully implemented (just in case they didn't work out the way he wanted). So, I haven't done.

Hi Timothy (terminills) , that seems like a nice (read that as 'strange') position to be in, getting an Amiga program developed that's already been gathering dust, and not bothering to keep the people updated who are intended to buy it - so they remain 'out of the loop'/ 'in the dark' / 'ill-informed' . . .

. . . and then your developer asks you still not to say anything about what's been going on for seemingly even more considerable time . . . and there's still no word about what those additional features might be, or how much longer we are all supposed to wait for its release . . . months . . . years . . . decades? :-?

Are you paying for its development? If not, then whoever is ideally needs to get whoever is developing it more motivated, and get this software development into a higher, faster gear - ideally before you (all?) run out of fuel (finance) and customer(s), and before you reach a premature end in your intended development journey. 8-D

It's been in (seemingly stalled) development so long it might be wise to release what you have that's stable - if it is? Then later, release any further planned development as a later update, which might release/bring in some payment(s), and investment(s) to secure its future in the longer term - just a suggestion. ;-)

It's been languishing so long that even I am beginning to think that it is never going to materialise again for Amiga-like systems, :-( . . . though I hope you manage to prove me wrong. :lol:

That AmigaWorld webpage link that Andreas_Wolf quoted was originally started by you (terminills) and that was dated 15 March 2015 2215hrs, with a comment reply very soon afterwards in reply to a query as to what would be on offer in a 'new' release, and you stated
    Quote:

"First will be the fully native version after that we'll be adding features :-)"

So, as I already stated above why don't you go back to plan A - and do what you said in that quote, though if you have more features already added that work then just release that. You can always add more features at a later date as an update, as coming up for 8 years you still have no product to show for it, so as it currently stands it's like a shadow, or just looks like "fluff'n'dust" - what used to be referred to as vapourware! 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.01.23 - 04:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > there's still no word about what those additional features might be

To be fair, the official website lists new features. I guess that further features, should they be added for FinalWriter 7.0 before release, will be added to that page as well.

> Are you paying for its development?

He did mention overall development costs once in a while, so I guess he does.
  • »09.01.23 - 13:00
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > there's still no word about what those additional features might be

To be fair, the official website lists new features. I guess that further features, should they be added for FinalWriter 7.0 before release, will be added to that page as well.

> Are you paying for its development?

He did mention overall development costs once in a while, so I guess he does.

Yes I will be updating the website soon. And yes it is paid for by me.
  • »10.01.23 - 13:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

terminills wrote: Yes I will be updating the website soon. And yes it is paid for by me.

Hi Timothy (terminills), so when is soon? :-? Jan-2023, several months later in 2023, or some years hence? :-?

Also, if it is all paid for by you, why can't you just get on and release what is working right now? :-?

Why would you need to delay releasing details of what progress has been made due to your 'developer' asking you not to say anything until the development is completed - if you're paying for all the financing of the project? :-?

Surely if you own the rights to the software, and you're paying for it all, then you have the final say? :-?

However, you're saying virtually nothing at all that would make this project seem to be 'realistic' currently! :-(
  • »10.01.23 - 14:18
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    terminills
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

terminills wrote: Yes I will be updating the website soon. And yes it is paid for by me.

Hi Timothy (terminills), so when is soon? :-? Jan-2023, several months later in 2023, or some years hence? :-?

Also, if it is all paid for by you, why can't you just get on and release what is working right now? :-?

Why would you need to delay releasing details of what progress has been made due to your 'developer' asking you not to say anything until the development is completed - if you're paying for all the financing of the project? :-?

Surely if you own the rights to the software, and you're paying for it all, then you have the final say? :-?

However, you're saying virtually nothing at all that would make this project seem to be 'realistic' currently! :-(

Here's a screenshot of IPP Everywhere support.

IPP Everywhere

[ Edited by terminills 12.01.2023 - 19:22 ]
  • »12.01.23 - 19:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ terminills - So, Timothy, is this IPP Everywhere implementation the development that was not revealed when I requested information via email to the Final Writer - GoDaddy website? :-?

Nevertheless, is Final Writer v7 - currently, either with or without this latest news, in a state where it can be released/offered for sale to users/customers? :-?

If so, for which platform(s) is it ready to be used on? :-? (I hope I am not being too optimistic in this regard ;-))
  • »13.01.23 - 00:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    How about a new Superbundle with FinalWriter and PageStream :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »14.01.23 - 15:16
    matt3
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    How about a new Superbundle with FinalWriter and PageStream :-)

I like the sound of that!!!
  • »14.01.23 - 23:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

polluks wrote: How about a new Superbundle with FinalWriter and PageStream :-)

How would that work? :-?

Two independent programs by individual developers offering their individual programs as one combined package deal? :-?

What would induce them to 'pool their resources' together, notwithstanding that we haven't even seen the realisation of Final Writer v7 in the first place, and will we ever? :-?

terminills is 'talking the talk', but I'd prefer to know it exists in the 'real world' before asking for it to be part of a package deal from what might only be 'vapour world'! ;-)

I really do want the project to succeed, but my feet are firmly planted in the real world. 8-)
  • »15.01.23 - 12:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> How about a new Superbundle with FinalWriter and PageStream :-)

> How would that work? :-? Two independent programs by individual developers
    > offering their individual programs as one combined package deal? :-?

The 'Superbundle' term is a reference to Genesi's Superbundle from 2003/2004. Such thing would indeed require some legal entity to acquire distribution licenses (probably at cost) for special, limited versions of those programs, like Genesi did two decades ago. Furthermore, Genesi's Superbundle came free with every Pegasos sold, so it wouldn't work that way today, considering there's no legal entity selling dedicated MorphOS computers.
  • »15.01.23 - 19:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    It would be a MEGA bundle!
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »15.01.23 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Though it sounds more like an IMPOSSI-B(und)LE! :lol:
  • »15.01.23 - 23:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    The Superbundle was a great idea and hopefully something like that can happen again one day.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »16.01.23 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'd love to get a copy and have an original box and disk with it. I still have my boxed copy here in my office on the shelf.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.01.23 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Offer still stands that DiscreetFX will buy 10 of these and give them away to the community when released.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »19.01.23 - 17:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:
    It will be great when this is finally shipping to customers.

Will those customers still be alive to purchase this new release?

While a physical boxed release would be cool, a digital release would be a lot easier IMO.

[ Edited by qz3fwd 28.01.2023 - 23:03 ]
  • »29.01.23 - 04:02
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Acill wrote:
    I'd love to get a copy and have an original box and disk with it. I still have my boxed copy here in my office on the shelf.

Me too, since I am word processing living creature, one MOS copy and one OS 3.x copy, boxed, manuals etc.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »30.01.23 - 16:52
    matt3
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:
    Offer still stands that DiscreetFX will buy 10 of these and give them away to the community when released.

Very generous thank you! Since I wasn't able to take advantage of the PageStream (already bought MorphOS version), I will definitely put my hat in the ring for this one.
  • »30.01.23 - 17:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Yes that is a generous offer and I am interested as well!
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »01.02.23 - 14:26