Posts: 497 from 2003/2/17
From: Hannover / Ger...
As mentioned in the other thread
, I've contacted Woody about FinalWriter again after ten years and to my surprise he did indeed reply.
I've sent Fraggle a PM with his e-mail address and what he told me. While I highly doubt that even Fraggle could put up enough money for Woody to sell, maybe a platform independent (i.e. AmigaOS, OS4, MorphOS, AROS) bounty project, kickstarted by Fraggle, could reach enough money?
To sum up what he told me:
[list]- He still owns the source code, Tommy Hwang had only distribution rights for a limited number of finished products.
- He would be willing to sell the source rights; but no one in all these years has mentioned money sufficient enough for him to take the offer seriously.
- One has to understand, though, that there was technology licensed by him for the speller, thesaurus, etc. which he can't re-license. Any modules of Final Writer that contain licensed code would need to be re-written or licensed from the licensees.
- He does also own the source code to the old ProWrite word processor.
- As for making modifications to the code for a new buyer, the option is open; but it would probably be more cost effective for a new buyer to outsource that himself rather than paying Softwood to do so.
- He also owns the source to Final Data.
- Final Calc, though, was written by Khalid Aldoseri, so he owns the rights to that source.[/list]