Problems Installing MorphOS 3.0 in MacMini
  • Cim
  • Just looking around
    Cim
    Did you try holding "C" key on keyboard during boot? On my mini "C" doesn't work so I have to hold "alt" and select CD from the boot menu. I upgraded 2.7 to 3.0 today and did some tests with Quake 3. Graphics is faster in some resolutions upto 30% (most noticable in 16 bit modes bigger than 800*600).
  • »09.06.12 - 13:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Thanks, but a lot, because I though that I have other machine dead, I tocuh the C key because with Alt + C, nothing. Again thansk for your help and fast answer.
  • »09.06.12 - 13:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > did some tests with Quake 3. Graphics is faster in some resolutions upto 30%

That's way below expectations I'd say.

"Then we were shown the updated 3D drivers, reaching 140fps in Quake III running at 800x600 on an humble Mac mini. That's roughly 50% better than last year, that in turn was already 100% faster than what we have in the public version of MorphOS..."
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7532&forum=3&start=16

That would amount to an improvement by 200%, instead you report 30%. Underwhelming to say the least.
  • »09.06.12 - 13:38
  • Cim
  • Just looking around
    Cim
    @Templario: NP, glad I could help ;)
    @Andreas_Wolf: 140fps?! :-o Then something is seriously wrong with my setup. I get around 70fps most with lower settings. I'll have to reserch a little bit to see what's wrong. Do you have any hints where to start?

[ Edited by Cim 09.06.2012 - 13:51 ]
  • »09.06.12 - 13:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do you have any hints where to start?

Unfortunately not. And I won't be in reach of my MorphOS machine until tomorrow evening, so couldn't even install MorphOS 3.0 yet let alone test the new R200 3D drivers myself.
  • »09.06.12 - 14:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Templario,
    Quote:

I have the problem to install MorphOS3.0, I tryed to make a clean install formatting the DH1 from MorphOS 2.7 but now I only see a Gray screen and the Cd with MorphOS 3.0 is inside the MacMini, how I can install it?

I had the same Problem, I have loaded the image twice from the German-mirror, but had not checked
    the md5sum: it has to be 68c8255b2b33c2f21b87742033fa57d6.
    Loading from the German main side worked well for me. (PowerBookG4)

Greets
    defender
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »09.06.12 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    If you wish to benchmark the driver you need to turn off the vertical sync (vsync). Normally this is undesirable as it makes little sense to render graphics faster than it can be displayed, and it leads to some graphical tearing and possibly other issues. So only do this if you're actually benchmarking the driver:

Code:
    setenv TGLSYNC 0

and if tinygl.library is in memory already, flush it with:
    Code:
    flushlib tinygl.library

To get most performance out of the new driver in quake 3, r_primitives needs to be adjusted. In quake3 console, use:
    Code:
    r_primitives 2

There will be new releases of Q3 and RTCW soon to change the default rendering behavior so this tuning won't be necessary.

[ Edited by Piru 09.06.2012 - 16:54 ]
  • »09.06.12 - 14:21
    CountRaven
    Downloaded the 200 MB ISO but it would not show up on the boot menu of MacMini or Pbook -alt- and would not boot on C key. Have not tried it yet to Peg1 -got to find an old school keyb haha-, I burned iso with the burn utility of MacOSX Lion on 24 speed. ISO size: 200 MB.
  • »09.06.12 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    CountRaven,
    Quote:

Downloaded the 200 MB ISO but it would not show up on the boot menu of MacMini or Pbook -alt- and would not boot on C key. Have not tried it yet to Peg1 -got to find an old school keyb haha-, I burned iso with the burn utility of MacOSX Lion on 24 speed. ISO size: 200 MB.

I have burned a 210,5 Mb sized Image on OSX Tiger and this one is visible with -ALT- or -C- Boot. So I think you should download it from a different Mirror or just
    retrie and have a look at the MD5sum (or at least the size of the file).

good luck
    defender
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »09.06.12 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Actually the ISO reports 220 MB on the info Window, the CD reports 200 MB. Will download again and burn a new CD. Hope this works.
  • »09.06.12 - 16:24
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Now I have other problem the USB drives only show the message of recognize but isn't show to enter inside of it, and I have the keyfile inside of USB drive but nothing, I tryed with a USB storage device and neither but with MorphOS 2.7 I hadn't this strange problem.
  • »09.06.12 - 16:27
  • Cim
  • Just looking around
    Cim
    Thanks Piru,
    I did try again with the changes you mentioned and I got some better results but couldn't get as much as 140fps in 800x600 someone mentioned. Is that max fps or average and at what settings? Best I could get in 800x600 is 124,6fps with all settings at lowest (16 bit, lowest textures, low geometry, vertex lighting, bilinear filtering). On highest settings (32 bit, highest textures, high geometry, lightmap, trilinear filtering) in 800x600 I have 60,0fps. That's not bad but If you got better results on Mac Mini I'd like to know how...
    My Mini's CPU is 1,83GHz G4 (overclocked 1,5GHz model) so I guess the CPU is not problem... The rest of the configuration: 64MB VRAM, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD.
  • »09.06.12 - 16:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Cim,

1.83GHz G4 MacMini is a fast over-clocking of the stock 1.5GHz G4. Have you taken any temperature readings before and after the over-clocking was done? Did you modify the cooling system for the G4 CPU in your MacMini to cope with increased heat caused by the over-clocking? Have you noticed any stability problems with your over-clocked G4 MacMini?

I have a 1.5GHz MacMini and will comsider over-clocking it, if it remains stable and cool enough so I can be sure that the over-clocking is not shortening the life span of my G4 MacMini too much due to increased heat production and lack of cooling capacity.

Edit: Like the original poster in this thread, I also had a problem with the MorphOS3.0 image I downloaded from the Mirror Site and had to download a second MorphOS3.0 image from the primary site and burn a second CD, which was successful in booting from and updating my MorphOS installation on my MacMini. The first MorphOS3.0 CD booted okay, but it could not complete the process of updating my MorphOS2.7 install and it froze, or stopped copying files at about the 9700kb mark.

I am not sure if my download was to blame, or if perhaps there is a problem with the MorphOS3.0 iso on the Mirror Site?

[ Edited by amigadave 09.06.2012 - 08:36 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.06.12 - 17:28
  • Cim
  • Just looking around
    Cim
    @amigadave: I don't know how to take temperature readings. I didn't modify cooling, and didn't notice any problems for now. However, I still have unregistered MorphOS so can't use it for more than 30 minutes without reseting, so I didn't really stress test it under MorphOS. However, I played Quake III, RTCW, some youtube videos for 30 minutes each and didn't have any problems so far. Cooler tends to become loud under load, but I think it was like that even before overclock.
  • »09.06.12 - 18:06
    CountRaven
    Ok burned a new CD, booted and installed on the mini.
  • »09.06.12 - 19:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    @amigadave
    I use my overclocked 1.83Ghz mini daily since more than two years, no problem with heat or unstable system.
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=6780&viewmode=flat&sortorder=0&start=0
  • »09.06.12 - 20:08
  • Just looking around
    nick123
    I'm also having problems installing morphos 3.0 on my mini mac. my mini mac is a little different because i have it installed in a amiga 1200 case. but apart from a few changes its the same as a mini mac install.

ive downloaded the morphos 3.0 iso 3 times checked the md5 checksum and its the same. ive burnt the image 8 times (1 was to dvd) ive used imgburn / nero / disk utility (OSX) to burn the iso on my main pc ive used my internal bluray writer to burn the cd image & the mini mac combo drive to burn the image from my main pc using jae50 to USB. ive used osx with disk utility. ive also used a older pc with a internal dvd writer. all copies do the same thing they start to read then stop at white screen.
    i can boot my morphos 2.7 cd with no problems.

the only difference between my mac in a 1200 and a regular minimac is i have the dvd combo connected via usb. i have keyrah connected via usb (so i can use the 1200 keyboard)
    ive tried this with out the keyrah plugged in
    also tried with the cd combo drive installed back where it should be on the jae50 connector.
    only other thing i can think of is i think ive changed my boot order the mac first attempts to boot from cd if a disk is in the drive also morphos is my default partition to boot.

anyone else had success with nero or imgburn?
    has anything changed with the format between iso between 2.7 & 3.0 ?
  • »10.06.12 - 16:58
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Did you boot from CD using the alt-key boot menu?
  • »10.06.12 - 18:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Piru,
    Quote:

So only do this if you're actually benchmarking the driver

I don't agree with you. It's also a hw and personal preference thing. Disabling vsync and limiting FPS gives more responsivity, on the other side it can introduce some tearing.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »10.06.12 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    nick123
    jacadcaps,
    Quote:

Did you boot from CD using the alt-key boot menu?

i hadnt tried that ive put the cd drive back to jae5 connector and booted 1 of my many copies of morphos 3 holding the alt key and selecting the cd and its installing as i type this. the bit i dont really understand is it was booting from my 2.7 disk fine from usb but any way all working many thanks for your help jacadcaps.

very strange just rebooted morphos with disk still in and this time it booted from cd with out me doing anything oh well its working. many thanks for your help.
  • »10.06.12 - 19:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    if you have 2.7 installed, drop the iso on the hd and boot off the iso file instead of the cd.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.06.12 - 21:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    nick123
    all installed from cd now. just strange that now i can boot from the cd (after i installed 3.0)
    i tried to boot my morphos 2.7 and noticed as it boots it say its version 3.0 so must be booting from HD then reading from cd as it goes into the screen where you need to select your language etc. anyway its working now.
  • »10.06.12 - 21:39
  • Just looking around
    okelen
    I had exactly the same "white screen" problem on my mac mini.

(MoS 2.7 demo already insalled)

The ALT key on boot working fine !!!

THX!
  • »21.06.12 - 14:05