Alchimie 111111
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    Just watching the video presentation at Alchimie (available here) - a detailed expose/roadmap of upcoming features in MorphOS 3.x! (EDIT: not necessarily to be included in 3.0)

Are Helios, FUSE, Grunch and Magicbeacon to become integrated into the distribution? If so kudos to YomGui, Leif and Geit.

SMBFS via fuse sounds interesting, being presumably more up-to-date (and presumably faster) than the current 68k version. Any indicative benchmarks available yet? ;)

Nice to see airport support mentioned, thought I was going to have to buy a pcmcia wifi card again. Does the support include 802.11g? If not, do 802.11g capable cards fall back to 802.11b, or are these cards unsupported in any mode?

An impressive array of monitoring (cpu temp, fan speed, battery level) and control (cpu speed, graphics card power mode, brightness/keyboard light control, modem/nic/hdd powerdown...) - far more than I would have hoped for in an initial release!

New pdf viewer too, the layout looks a lot better than the current one. If based on a recent version of Poppler as the source, it should incorporate changes from xpdf 3.02 (ie support for pdf v1.6 and 1.7) too!

Can't wait to explore the new features which make it into 3.0 - I'm excited about Christmas/New year for the first time in ages!

From Drako's posting on AW.net:
    Quote:

General News:
    - Support the PowerBook G4 (models 5.6 to 5.9).
    - Transfers AGP platforms supporting it (macs).
    - Drivers WiFi and integration with the TCP / IP: Altheros5000, Airport.
    - Drivers SATA and SCSI (Symbios) function on PowerMac G4.
    - Faster 3D Drivers (VBO), more complete support r300 (Radeon 9500 to 9800);
    - Integration Layer Firewire Helios,
    - Improved systems components: MUI, Ambient, Multiview, HDConfig, mount.library ...
    - New applications: FTP / SFTP, software CD / DVD, new PDF reader, Text Editor modern
    - File System: NTFS3G (writing material), SMBFS (64 bits), SSHFS (SFTP transparent), ICEF, ...

News related to the PowerBook:
    - Touchpad and gestures (scroling, right ,...).
    - Specifics on the keyboard (Fn, brightness keys ,...).
    - Support for various graphic tiles (15 ", 17" and variations ...).
    - Port Cardbus (PCMCIA).
    - Drivers Atheros5k (via Cardbus) Airport.
    - Layer WPA/WPA2 (wpa_supplicant) in collaboration with AROS.
    - Monitoring of sensors, fan speed, battery level, temperature, ...
    - 3D Driver R300 (Radeon 9700 for PowerBook).
    - Management of controlled energy components and sensors based on user preferences (processor speed, low power mode of the graphics card, disable the modem, network, brightness, backlight keyboard, power down the hard disk. ..).

System components:
    - Ambient: a transparent panel, under docks and plugins, video thumbnails, ...
    - MUI: effect of disabling improved rendering of part of the active object configurable Arrange tab, ...
    - Multiview: integration of more new features and formats.
    - HDConfig / mount.library: better management of mac partition tables.
    - Cairo / Pixman / Fontconfig provided with the system.
    - MagicBeacon: visual notifications on different types of events (new mail, download finished, dvd inserted ,...), highly configurable.
    - Grunch: package manager.

EDIT: changed "MorphOS 3.0" to read "MorphOS 3.x" as per presentation slide #2

EDIT: reworded to remove implications of inclusion in 3.0.

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2011 - 23:20 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 16:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > New pdf viewer too, the layout looks a lot better than the current one. If based
    > on a recent version of Poppler as the source, it should incorporate changes
    > form xpdf 3.02 (ie support for pdf v1.6 and 1.7) too!

That's cool to hear! PDF 1.6 and 1.7 support is an essential feature, and with that incorporated into MorphOS I'll be able to stop using browser-based workarounds such as Google Docs Viewer or PDF.js.
  • »13.11.11 - 17:29
    boot_wb
    @Andreas

Assuming it's based on Poppler 0.5 or later (into which xpdf 3.02 changes were merged, bringing pdf 1.6/1.7 support). But since that was released in 2007, I think it's a safe bet. ;o)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 17:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Assuming it's based on Poppler 0.5 or later (into which xpdf 3.02 changes were merged,
    > bringing pdf 1.6/1.7 support). But since that was released in 2007, I think it's a safe bet. ;o)

Yes, your assumption seems reasonable. After all, enclosing a new PDF viewer and basing it on (something that is based on) pre-3.02 Xpdf wouldn't make sense as this would lack advantage over current Apdf 3.4, which is based on Xpdf 3.01.
  • »13.11.11 - 18:07
    Simon
    With Helios and Grunch coming in 3.0 ... should we deinstall these first in our 2.7 before we upgrade or maybe clean install ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »13.11.11 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Wow, this is really impressive! :-o Must be one of the biggest updates ever, some *major* features there!

Really looking forward to this! :-)

:pint:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.11.11 - 20:14
    stephen_robinson
    "Also note that some of the stuff mentioned is meant for MorphOS_3 not MorphOS_3.0 and may take a little longer to be available for us mortals."

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34607&forum=28#638560
  • »13.11.11 - 20:24
    boot_wb
    @StephenRobinson

Changed the OP from 3.0 to 3.x.
    Still, here's hoping a substantial amount of it will make it into the 3.0 release.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 20:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > "Also note that some of the stuff mentioned is meant for MorphOS_3 not
    > MorphOS_3.0 and may take a little longer to be available for us mortals."
    > http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34607&forum=28#638560

That's a real pity as the French news item that originally lists those features clearly talks about MorphOS 3.0.
  • »13.11.11 - 20:36
    boot_wb
    @Andreas_Wolf

Ah, just read the article in question and it does state:

"certaines fonctionnalités ne sont pas encore disponibles."

(some features are not yet available).

Also, Fab stated that:
    Quote:

A small but important note: the presentation was about 3.x, not 3.0 in particular.

My bad... je comprendre une petit peut de la langue francais, mais pas de la tout.

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2011 - 21:57 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 22:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ah, just read the article in question and it does state:
    > "certaines fonctionnalités ne sont pas encore disponibles."
    > (some features are not yet available).

Yes, I didn't miss this wording but thought that it refers to the pre-release version shown at the event this weekend as opposed to the version that is supposed to be released in December. If it refers to version 3.0 in relation to further 3.x versions the wording is unfelicitous and prone to be misunderstood to say the least.
  • »13.11.11 - 23:13
    boot_wb
    I've changed my original post somewhat so as not to perpetuate the misunderstanding further. I notice Draco has since done the same to the topic title on AW.net (which originally read "Presentation of MorphOS 3.0 at Alchemy").

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 23:29
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    Reminds me of ssolie saying "this and that will come with the next version" and then had to row back and postpone it to later versions. Exactly the same situation. We thought MOS team was a bit smarter than OS4 team.

So all the effort is a nice and long list of features and (most of) established integrated tools but now we know less than before. Any of these features will come with any version. Nothing is for sure. It can happen with 3.0 in December or with 3.9 in 3 and a half years. No, we don't have the "right" to be informed about details of upcoming versions but it is not a good sign to announce things, show things and then tell "no, they will come anytime" (again, remember video preview for the first time?).
  • »13.11.11 - 23:30
    boot_wb
    @Connor

Although in fairness to the MorphOS team, this seems to be a poorly worded news article leading to a game of chinese whispers.
    I'm sure that Fab will have been clear in his presentation as to what was likely to be included sooner rather than later.

[ Edited by boot_wb 13.11.2011 - 22:35 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »13.11.11 - 23:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Reminds me of ssolie saying "this and that will come with the next version" and
    > then had to row back and postpone it to later versions. Exactly the same situation.
    > We thought MOS team was a bit smarter than OS4 team.

No, it's not "exactly the same situation". Ssolie attended AmiWest 2009 as an official Hyperion representative, whereas papiosaur who wrote that questionable news item on meta-morphos.org is just a regular MorphZone member but not a member or representative of the MorphOS Team. As we have learned by now the actual presentation was held by MorphOS Team member Fab who made it clear to his attendants that the feature list was about MorphOS 3.x.

> now we know less than before. Any of these features will come with any
    > version. Nothing is for sure. It can happen with 3.0 in December or with
    > 3.9 in 3 and a half years.

I'm very much with you regarding this sentiment and would have preferred a feature list of MorphOS 3.0 instead of a list of what might (or might even not, who knows) come at some indefinite point in the future, which is what we have now.
  • »14.11.11 - 00:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Draco has since done the same to the topic title on AW.net (which originally
    > read "Presentation of MorphOS 3.0 at Alchemy").

I think he should also change "Alchemy" to "Alchimie". The Google translator he used doesn't seem to recognize the event's proper name as what it is ;-)
  • »14.11.11 - 00:18
    boot_wb
    Whereas my "Alchemie" in this thread was simply poor copying ;o) , since corrected.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »14.11.11 - 00:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kamelito
    I think it's Nice to Know what will come in 3.x
    Even with 2.7 users can do a lot of things I don't see why not knowing when in ".x" will come a feature prevent anyone to create now.
    Some posts reminds me of childrens complaining about Xmas presents.

Kamel
  • »14.11.11 - 07:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Reminds me of ssolie saying "this and that will come with the next version" and then had to row back and postpone it to later versions. Exactly the same situation. We thought MOS team was a bit smarter than OS4 team.

Absolutely *not*! There is a clear difference between a MorphOS *user* relaying a *roadmap* as a feature list for the *coming version only*, and the developer team themselves promising things that turns out to be missing out when the thing actually gets here. Also - don't shoot the messenger, everyone can do a mistake! :-)

And I think this list still is kind of complete for 3.0 release, while some things (is WPA/WPA2 finished in AROS yet? Airport? Etc) might need more developing time? I really appreciate the glimpse of a roadmap of what we can expect from *coming* releases in the MorphOS 3.x branch, and that it indeed will continue being developed along this branch.

Because one of the bigger news was embedded in the message (I hope that this is translated and relayed back to us in a correct way, I don't know myself, I'm just a messanger so "no shoot me!"):

Quote:

Ok, I'll give it a shot... not a 100% accurate translation but you'll get the main ideas.

"Et Apres" slide:
    - Make Morphos portable (64 bits), integration in a VM for dev and test.
    - Architecture choice : X64 ? , ARM ?
    - Compatibility PPC and 68K ?

Speech:
    For now, we concentrate on the few Apple models that are available. So: Powerbook and potentially Power Mac G5, we'll see if it's worth to support them or not.
    Once we're done with that, we'll look into an architecture change, either X64 or ARM, whatever is interesting when we get there, which should take a few years.
    Meanwhile, we get into the 64 bit compatibility to prepare the ground.
    We will make it run in a virtual machine, a bit like AROS. That's for development [...] so that we can start working on it without having a machine available yet.
    So yes indeed, within a few years, we will change the architecture.

The problem related to this (change of architecture) is that the PPC & 68K compatibility will likely be lost.
    It may be reintroduced later by writing emulators for these 2 processors.
    But it will require time... and will it be really interesting since most of the applications are now native and we have control over them ? It remains to be seen.

Morphos 3 will be free for users already registered and upgrading.
    Those who buy a powerbook will have to buy a license for it.
    Also, there will be a change in the pricing.
    Older machines like Powermac, Mac Mini and Pegasos will see a little reduction in the license price... a little less.

Question, in the audience, about ameliorating the QBox (I couldn't hear the whole question)
    Reply :
    The QBox is a recent kernel that can, in theory, support SMP, Memory protection, and other modern concepts. The problem is that AmigaOS, due to its API, does not allow to implement these concepts. Any application requiring memory protection would not be compatible, because the architecture of AmigaOS relies on sharing memory access.
    Any application can access another application's memory (space)....

The QBox is the kernel and the Abox, which is what allows to run all what we see here, is only a process in Morphos.
    The QBox is something wider that we haven't had time to develop since all the efforts have been directed toward the compatibility with AmigaOS and the applications running inside it (the ABox).
    Will we have the ressources to develop the QBox more than what it is now?
    We'll see... When the time comes for the architecture change, it's possible we look into it seriously.
    Right now, for the support of G4 and G5, it's not necessary.
    On the long run...we'll see...

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

:-D :-D :-D !

:pint:

So if this is correct:

1. MorphOS 3.x will be continued to be developed on PPC, and we have had a glimpse of what to expect. So while the PPC platform is dead as a desktop platform, MorphOS is not, and it will continue to support it and make the most out of it! :-)

2. There will be a life for MorphOS *post PPC* as well! :-) (This is the best news of all IMHO! :-)) When MorphOS has supported all relevant available PPC systems, when it has come as far as it possibly can on PPC (probably in one or a few releases down the 3.x path) it won't roll over and die! No, it will continue on a different architecture! :-D

3. It will then go 64-bit.

4. Since all this means a policy change when it comes to Amiga backwards compatibility, it will *possibly* be using a more developed "Q-box" as well? Who knows...

Interesting times ahead! I just felt like new life was poured into the MorphOS! New hope!

MorphOS will make the most out of the PPC platform, there will be more PPC releases post 3.0 (3.1, 3.2 etc), and when it can't get any further, when all HW has been supported, it will jump to more modern, probably mainstream hardware! That's still years away of course, but it means either x86 or ARM support (or maybe both - once they have made the necessary changes for a platform migration, perhaps it won't be that difficult to support more than one? Only speculation of me, of course...)

I mean: YES! :-D

(Edit: Oh - and there will be a *price drop* for the MorphOS license for some systems... :-))

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 14.11.2011 - 08:30 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.11.11 - 08:22
    Miky060
    A lot of misunderstanding has been cleared now, but I still would like to have a question cleared: In MorphOS 3.0 I'll be able to use the BUILT-IN Airport of my PowerBook 5,8 or will I need and external (PCMCIA) wireless board (like seen in a old Frank Mariak presentation) to surf the net wireless?
    Thanks to who will clear this point.

[ Edited by Miky060 14.11.2011 - 08:53 ]

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »14.11.11 - 08:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    There is a big misunderstanding.
    All this is more or less a 3.x (not 3.0!) wish list.

Some things do already exist, some do not.
    f.e. the PDF viewer does exist and was even demonstrated by fab
    But no single line of code is written for an "Airport" (whatever that would mean) driver.

And definitively, all this will not be in 3.0. That was pretty clear.
  • »14.11.11 - 10:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    During the presentation, i explained what was already done (or almost finished, at least) and what was yet to be done. Regarding powerbook support, there's even a color code in the slide to show the current state of completion.

For instance, RV300 3D, "Airport" and power management are things that are still to be done, but that are in the objectives of 3.x.

[ Edited by Fab 14.11.2011 - 10:17 ]
  • »14.11.11 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    So no Airport board support in 3.0..
    and neither 3D drivers for RV300 will be in 3.0!? :-(

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »14.11.11 - 12:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the developer team themselves promising things that turns out to be
    > missing out when the thing actually gets here

That's not what happened. After all, OS4.2 isn't here yet, isn't it? Ssolie's rowing back and postponing took place a couple of days after his infamous AmiWest 2009 announcements.

> don't shoot the messenger

This concept doesn't really apply when the messenger alters the message, i.e. changes "3.x" to "3.0", does it? ;-)

> I think this list still is kind of complete for 3.0 release

Yes, but the thing is that it has everything for 3.0 *and more*, and we do not know what's for 3.0 and what's only for later, which also doesn't have to mean 3.1 necessarily.

> some things (is WPA/WPA2 finished in AROS yet? Airport? Etc) might need
    > more developing time?

According to geit, AirPort support and SMBFS will not be in 3.0, among other things he didn't specify. The statement about AirPort has also been confirmed by jacadcaps. And as Fab just revealed, 3.0 will come without 3D support for R300.

> When MorphOS [...] has come as far as it possibly can on PPC
    > [...]
    > MorphOS will make the most out of the PPC platform
    > [...]
    > when it can't get any further, when all HW has been supported

According to the translation of Fab's outlook that's not decided yet. Should the MorphOS Team decide to skip G5 Macs then MorphOS definitely won't have "come as far as it possibly can on PPC" and won't have made "the most out of the PPC platform".
  • »14.11.11 - 12:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'll be able to use the BUILT-IN Airport of my PowerBook 5,8 [...]?

Notwithstanding the confusion about 3.0 vs. 3.x, the list doesn't say anything about AirPort *Extreme*, which is what the PowerBooks to be supported by MorphOS have built-in and which is a different beast compared to original AirPort.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=11&topic_id=6042&start=14

On the other hand, "AirPort" is listed under "Nouveautés générales" as well as under "Nouveautés liées au PowerBook", so it probably means "original AirPort" in one place and "AirPort Extreme" in the other place, or even "AirPort Extreme" in both places.
  • »14.11.11 - 12:34