How many MorphOS users are there in the USA?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I am trying to get an idea of how many MorphOS users there are in the USA and where they are located.

If you live in the USA and own a MorphOS compatible computer with any version of MorphOS installed on it, please reply in this thread with which computer model it is and which version of MorphOS is installed on it.

If you want, also indicate how long you have been using MorphOS and if you started with MorphOS1.x and upgraded to 2.x and also if your 2.x is registered.

I'll start off with my hardware

Efika w/MorphOS2.7 registered
    1.5GHz G4 MacMini w/MorphOS2.7 registered
    1.25GHz Dual G4 MDD PowerMac w/MorphOS2.7 registered
    15" 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook w/MorphOS3.0 beta
    17" 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook w/MorphOS3.0 beta

Located in Big Bear Lake, California, USA. I did not start using MorphOS until version 2.0 was released. I bought my Efika shortly after the release of 2.0 came out, but I had tried to install 1.4.5 on my PowerUP hardware in an A4000, but could not get it to install correctly, so I had to wait until I got my Efika.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.10.11 - 23:21
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I am trying to get an idea of how many MorphOS users there are
    > in the USA and where they are located.

Maybe it could be of help to have a look at the existing lists and maps. I'm sure there's also obsolete information in there but on the other hand some information might be recent but the associated users not necessarily members here on MorphZone.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6308&forum=3&start=35 (probably almost completely obsolete)
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6395&forum=3&start=6
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6395&forum=3&start=19
  • »26.10.11 - 23:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    Boston, Massachusetts with a neighbor that uses MorphOS :-x
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »27.10.11 - 00:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Dave,
    I currently have a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 800Mhz with only MorphOS Demo installed. I intend to eventually register it, but other bills come first...

For the most part I have been away from MorphOS since 2005 and just doing the Commodore 8bit thing. Before that I owned and used a Pegasos I April 2 from 2003-2005.
  • »27.10.11 - 01:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Hi Dave,

I, much like you, started with Morphos right around when 2.0 was released (I think just before it was released) with an Efika. I then picked up a mac mini 1.25 G4 and registered. I recently moved my Mini downstairs from my attic/office last weekend - to be closer to it so that I could use it as my main desktop machine. I should have done it a long time ago as it started to see some neglect that nagged at me ever since I changed jobs and stopped working out of my home office a little over a year ago.

Is this thread just out of curiosity - or do you have grand plans of some sort? :)

<Great job at Amiwest by the way>
  • »27.10.11 - 02:08
  • Just looking around
    E-W-S
    I'm in Ohio with my Pegasos 2 G4 1Ghz, with MorphOS 2.7. Looking into getting a Powerbook for when 3.0 arrives.

I've been using MorphOS since 2004 and v1.4
  • »27.10.11 - 07:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    I've got a PowerMac G4 running unregistered MorphOS but I seldom use it. I live in Waterville, Minnesota. I started with 2.7 and that's where I am today.

[ Edited by Samurai_Crow 27.10.2011 - 10:38 ]
  • »27.10.11 - 15:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    @Papiosaur,
    PM Sent.
  • »27.10.11 - 18:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    osco,

Who is your neighbor that also uses MorphOS? Is he here on MorphZone.org with us?
  • »27.10.11 - 21:30
    osco
    Matt_H also from "Boston"
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
  • »27.10.11 - 21:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Debaser,

This is just for my curiosity, no grand plans for anything. I have made guesses in the past about the absolute number of MorphOS users that are registered 2.x users which in my opinion probably number somewhere around 400 to 600 worldwide, as most of us have more than one registered MorphOS system and I think the number of registered licenses is around 1200 at last count. I have 5 systems with registered keyfiles myself.

As most MorphOS users are in Europe and the UK (for those who don't consider the UK to be part of Europe), I was just curious how many MorphOS users there are in the USA. I know that not all MorphOS users are here on MorphZone.org, but this is the premier English speaking MorphOS users site, so I would consider most of the USA MorphOS users to be members here and show up once in a while to see what is happening.

Could it be that there are only 10 to 20 MorphOS users that are registered MorphOS2.x users in the USA? And, if this is true, why is the number so low?

Also, with MorphOS2.7 being so much better than AmigaOS4.x, why aren't the number of MorphOS2.7 users higher, or closer to the same as the number of AmigaOS4.x users? What do the developers of MorphOS need to do to better promote it and increase the number of MorphOS users and third party developers of MorphOS native programs?

Could more cooperation with AmigaOS4.x users and developers increase the MorphOS user base?

From my experience with the many OS4 users at the many AmiWest Shows that I have attended and displayed MorphOS at, many OS4 users are curious about MorphOS, but are "put off" by the attitudes presented by some MorphOS users toward AmigaOS4.x and its users.

It is my opinion that we cannot get more OS4 users to convert to using MorphOS, if we cannot get them to try it out, and we discourage many of them from trying it out by expressing attitudes which belittle their choice to use OS4, or constantly ridicule the performance or features of OS4.

We will attract more new users with honey than vinegar. (yes, I am aware that this has probably already been discussed dozens of times before and is mostly a waste of my time, but I am going to try anyway).

Edit: This message is not aimed at any one person, and certainly not at the MorphOS Developer Team, as I do not see the "Team" attacking OS4 and it's users on a regular basis. This message is aimed at the small few MorphOS users that like to stir up the few OS4 users that easily get excited and defensive when comparisons are made, or derogatory comments are made about their beloved OS4.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.10.2011 - 14:57 ]
  • »27.10.11 - 21:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    So far in this thread I see:

myself, AmigaDave
    osco
    MattH
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Debaser
    E-W-S

Even if I triple that number to account for people in the USA that haven't seen this thread, it is still barely over 20 users. Something is wrong with this picture.
  • »27.10.11 - 22:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    What about Acill? Is he currently out of a Morphos machine?There should be also VelcroSP still using MorphOS. I think bash64 is also a MorphOS user. And what ever happened to Targhan? I think there are a few more around. Maybe Andreas Wolf has a link ;-) regarding that issue?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.10.11 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
    osco
    I think history of MorphOS and its early hardware might have skewed the users towards the continent. That changed with Apple hardware and will accelerate with the Powerbook and 3.0 Dave, I think the Powerbook grabbed the attention of many who attended AmiWest. I was at an Apple store here in Boston bringing in My Powerbook for a power adapter check. The Apple genius behind the counter interest was perked up when I said what the Powerbook was going to used for. AMIGA!. He started talking about the Video Toaster he had not too long ago. I have been using the Powerbook for the Net and the can't wait till 3.0 comes
    ;-)
  • »27.10.11 - 23:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Zylesea,

Yes, of course those you mentioned need to be added to my list, but they had not responded yet in this thread and I forgot to add them.

So that raises the total to 11, maybe 12. Still a pitiful number that needs to be increased.

myself, AmigaDave
    osco
    MattH
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Debaser
    E-W-S
    Acill
    VelcroSP
    bash64
    Jim
    Targhan (maybe???)

God knows I have tried to do everything I can to get more MorphOS users here in the States with my participation at the past 4 AmiWest Shows, but there has got to be more we as a group can do.
  • »27.10.11 - 23:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What about Acill? Is he currently out of a Morphos machine? [...]
    > Maybe Andreas Wolf has a link ;-) regarding that issue?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7949&forum=11&start=12
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7954&forum=38&start=8
  • »28.10.11 - 00:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Don't forget about me.

:-)
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »28.10.11 - 03:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Don't forget about me.

:-)
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »28.10.11 - 03:09
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    New York State, Peg 2 now on 2.7.

Started in the 1.x days, don't remember the exact number...
  • »28.10.11 - 03:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    AmigaDave
    osco
    MattH
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Debaser
    E-W-S
    Acill
    VelcroSP
    bash64
    Jim
    Targhan (maybe???)
    discreetfx
    matt3 (assuming this is not the same person as MattH)

Any others?

Does Magnetic still have/ever have a MorphOS system? I can't remember and I am too lazy to search to find out.

[ Edited by amigadave 27.10.2011 - 21:09 ]
  • »28.10.11 - 04:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > matt3 (assuming this is not the same person as MattH)

Yes, obviously: https://morph.zone/users/2751.html

> Does Magnetic still have/ever have a MorphOS system? I can't
    > remember and I am too lazy to search to find out.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4478&forum=16&start=6
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7758&forum=9&start=15
  • »28.10.11 - 12:19
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    Memering in Xenia Ohio (Dayton Area. I have a Peg2 and will get a powerbook with Morphos3 release. There were a couple of others in the area but I know of one that his peg is dead.

Memering
    God Bless

Bob
  • »28.10.11 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website