SDL and MOrphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    man i must be your town drunk here always posting in the bar and all.......anyways noticed SDL had a new release and it says there is code for amiga that is not longer maintained.....SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAINTAIN IT!!!!!......sorry i think that it is very important because it is a very important set of libraries that would be good to have for mrohos.....well tell me what you think.
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »01.09.03 - 23:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Well I know the SDL code a bit since I made some changes to it for my MorphOS ports of FreeSCI & Exult (speedups, LE graphics modes, overdrawing of other Ambient windows, ...). I have not noticed any huge changes that would affect the OS part for the last minor revisions. Haven't looked at the new release though. So I suppose the new version still compiles, maybe with small changes.

While I said I'm familiar with Gabriele's code don't ask me to maintain it, I'd be a very bad maintainer having no 68k compiler installed anymore ...

Besides, I checked the SDL site and it doesn't say anything about the Amiga version being discontinued. There is no Amiga archive for download, but AFAIR it has never been since the Amiga port never was "officially" supported.
  • »02.09.03 - 16:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    hmmm thanks for the correction
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »02.09.03 - 16:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    akauppi
    So there's no MorphOS version of SDL...?!?

I mean the real, PowerPC based stuff, no 68k. I'd really like to see one since i'm considering porting some stuff over that relies on SDL. For me, Pegasos/Morphos would be an ideal 'SDL machine'.
  • »02.09.03 - 19:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    Of course SDL is available PPC-natively for MorphOS. Gabriele Greco offers both an AmigaOS and a MorphOS version on his homepage and it's also on Aminet.

I have noticed some problems with that one and MorphOS, though. For example, under some conditions, there are wrong colors displayed on little endian graphics modes. I have tried to correct this and improve some stuff. If you port something and have color/speed probs you could try my modified version.

It's unlikely, though, that it'll be merged into the official one since the author has some different views on things. For example, I find it unacceptable that SDL mercilessly overdraws other windows when run in window mode (with certain SDL flags set at least). The author refused to change this. So I built my own SDL.

I should say, though, that this applies to some time way way back. I dunno if the MorphOS SDL version significantly improved - I do not check any Amiga newssites or mailing lists besides MorphOS ones anymore.
  • »02.09.03 - 20:50
    guruman
    Quote:

So there's no MorphOS version of SDL...?!?

There is... As you can read on the Amiga SDL Home Page the archive contains the GCC MorphOS static library. For 68k there's also a shared SDL.library, which *might* not exist for MOS due to the fact that Gabriele still has some problems with the ppc crosscompiler (he hasn't got a Pegasos, nor he is using the Amiga anymore... yet he is still very supportive!).

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »02.09.03 - 20:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BBRV: Greeboy et all.. IMHO SDL like libraries are so important for
    program porting (and making) that you definitely should consider
    offering him a PhreeBoard. And a bit help from in-house Mos coders to
    get SDL shared library made.

Please?
    http://somequicknotes.blogspot.com/index.html
  • »03.09.03 - 00:53