JAMIGA Bounties
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Hi,
    i would like to start 2 Bounties. Well one is AROS only but the second is for everyone (MorphOS,AmigaOS,AROS)

The first is about compiling JAMIGA for AROS, We/You could open the same for MorphOS. Or maybe someone can just try to compile it.

The second (platform independent) Bounty is about enhancing Jamiga to reach compatibility with a choosen JAVA application.... well i have one in mind...:http://www.red27studios.com/ (it uses only 2D functions and the Author would like to port it to AMIGA(java))

Since this Bounty is generall we (AROS/MorphOS and Amiga communities) could make one (big) bounty.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
    Pascal
  • »15.09.10 - 19:09
    Golem
    Well... a bounty for compiling it seems maybe a little too easy, while turning it into a fully usable java platform would probably require more work than any one developer could do in a reasonable timeframe.
  • »15.09.10 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Yep but if we bundle our money, maybe a team can work on. At least it could lead to more interest in JAMIGA.

There should be at least made a start...
  • »15.09.10 - 21:17
    Golem
    A good start would be some clear well-defined goals.
  • »15.09.10 - 21:32
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Yep and this is where i need some help. The maintainer of JAMIGA is busy, i hope he will help. http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=listbystatus&status=0 some Jamiga related bounties already exist. I would make the initial donation but i need really help in clarifying the goals.
  • »16.09.10 - 08:10
    Golem
    Yes, that is part of the problem, you essentially need someone able to take on the bounty to define its goals, to do that right involves some work. (the descriptions in your link looks fairly generic)

Do you have someone in mind to take on the bounty already?

[ Edited by Golem on 2010/9/16 14:17 ]
  • »16.09.10 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    No special one....
    Here are more infos about what is done and what should be done by Joakim Nordstrom.

http://code.google.com/p/jamiga2/wiki/Roadmap

My hope is that the bounty amount will be high enough that one ore more people can collaborate via the google group with Mr. Nordstrom.
  • »16.09.10 - 18:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    My question is: is JAVA a real must for us? I'm just wondering, what apps can be done with JAVA?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.09.10 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Supporting Amiga GUIs via old school Intuition low level calls is futile. It should be based on MUI to get off the ground.

Pretty much the biggest problem with JAmiga is that it requires there is some interest to code on Java on Amiga. What is point on it if nobody codes in Java? Run some Java applets? Could be cool but for what we need Amiga GUI, then?

[ Edited by itix on 2010/9/16 22:55 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »16.09.10 - 19:54
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Art Of Illusion
    Project X
    JDownloader
    JAP
    JBidwatcher
    JPC

and for the multiamiganoid app-store i wan't this : )
    http://www.red27studios.com/

Well and we have one point less which outsiders could moan about (oh look they have no JAVA support!) : )
  • »16.09.10 - 20:19
  • ASiegel
    Running "desktop" applications that are developed using Java and Swing, the native Java GUI toolkit, is not far off from running an X11 server and Linux apps on-top. Obviously, the applications will not share the typical native look and feel of the target operating system, may use 'alien' usability concepts and generally feel very out of place.

Not to mention that performance will be a serious concern. It would be completely unrealistic to expect that a JavaVM written by hobbyists from scratch would come anywhere close to the performance that is offered by commercial solutions as they are common on other operating systems. This is especially true if the JavaVM in question is targetted at multiple processor architectures which leaves less time for optimizations.

Just as a reminder, after all these years there is still no PowerPC version of UAE that includes a JIT compiler... Neither for MacOS, Linux or MorphOS.
  • »16.09.10 - 20:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

Just as a reminder, after all these years there is still no PowerPC version of UAE that includes a JIT compiler... Neither for MacOS, Linux or MorphOS.

Good point Andreas. I would much more prefer to see that than JAVA for MorphOS. Sorry Phoenix, i don't know any of those stuff you mentioned in previous post. Probably I can live on without them ;)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »16.09.10 - 20:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @pamers

You don't know Project X, Don't You ?
  • »16.09.10 - 21:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Project X as Amiga game i do know. Project X as a video editting soft I don't.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »17.09.10 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website