Is Mac mini HW mixing being worked on?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ddewbofh
    Like the topic says, is HW mixing for the Mini in the pipeline? Right now all sound is at max and I have to lower the volume in each app manually and even then it overdrives.

Right now I have the audio from my computers hooked up to a pair of Quad II monoamps with no volume controls so every time I use MorphOS I have to make sure that there's no chance of any sound playing without my knowledge or I risk blasting my studio monitors.
  • »23.12.09 - 11:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    stephen_robinson
    No idea, I hope so, but respect on the using Quad valve amps with MorphOS!
  • »23.12.09 - 11:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ddewbofh
    Heh, cheers. But in all fairness I have them hooked up to both my workstations, one with MorphOS mini and one with Win 7. :)
  • »23.12.09 - 11:19
    Golem
    HW? Will it involve soldering?
  • »23.12.09 - 11:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

ddewbofh wrote:

I have the audio from my computers hooked up to a pair of Quad II monoamps

Holy shit this is amazing! Are you sure a computer deserves being connected to such beauties?

main.jpg

I see that now, inline images aren't shown, and only its URL is shown instead. So please click on that "main.jpg" you see above this, and be prepared to drool...
    (I also have a tube amplifier, but kit-mounted)

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2009/12/23 12:38 ]
  • »23.12.09 - 11:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    @ddewbofh:

The Mac mini does not support the setting of output volume from hardware. OS X and Linux also do volume settings with software remixing. Here's a thread about how Linux dealt with this problem, it also includes cross-references to OS X. While the software way might be supported at some point in MorphOS, i guess it's not really a priority right now...

[ Edited by Chain-Q on 2009/12/23 12:42 ]
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »23.12.09 - 11:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ddewbofh
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Quote:

ddewbofh wrote:

I have the audio from my computers hooked up to a pair of Quad II monoamps

Holy shit this is amazing! Are you sure a computer deserves being connected to such beauties?

main.jpg

I see that now, inline images aren't shown, and only its URL is shown instead. So please click on that "main.jpg" you see above this, and be prepared to drool...
    (I also have a tube amplifier, but kit-mounted)

[ Edited by jcmarcos on 2009/12/23 12:38 ]

I have vintage Quads made in the 60s with matching serials, before the rerelease with other tubes. Still great amps with superb sound. Since I spend most of my time working at my computer listening to music they're put to good use. :)
  • »23.12.09 - 11:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ddewbofh
    Quote:

Chain-Q wrote:
    @ddewbofh:

The Mac mini does not support the setting of output volume from hardware. OS X and Linux also do volume settings with software remixing. Here's a thread about how Linux dealt with this problem, it also includes cross-references to OS X. While the software way might be supported at some point in MorphOS, i guess it's not really a priority right now...

[ Edited by Chain-Q on 2009/12/23 12:42 ]

Thanks for the info, shame the hardware is so crippled compared to powermacs of that era (which had great sound).
  • »23.12.09 - 11:55
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Real pita having a decent amp connected to such a poor quality music source,
  • »23.12.09 - 13:12
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    ddewbofh
    Quote:

FrankBrana wrote:
    Real pita having a decent amp connected to such a poor quality music source,

To be fair my windows machine has a decent sound card and my compressed music is all FLAC so that machine is ok. Using them for the mini is just a side-effect thanks to the KVM switch.
  • »23.12.09 - 13:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

ddewbofh wrote:

Quote:

FrankBrana wrote:

Real pita having a decent amp connected to such a poor quality music source

my compressed music is all FLAC so that machine is ok.

I think he means that the only music source worth those amplifiers is analog recordings...
  • »23.12.09 - 13:35
    Crumb
    @FrankBrana

Your A500 with digital audio is the only way to make justice to such a hi-fi equipment :-)
  • »23.12.09 - 13:37
    Profile Visit Website
    osco
    Advice... :-? What speakers for the Mac Mini?
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »23.12.09 - 14:09
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    @JcMarcos

Nah. Nowadays vinyl recordings are digitally mastered on studio, so, it doesnt make that sense anymore unless you use old vinyl albums or reeditions non remastered. Moreover the turntable must be real hi spec to worth the pain of such a delicated media.

Quality source matters, thats for sure, but it also goes beyond the filetype and/or compression method. Its all about the DAC process and filters. No cheap computer equipment can compete with flat earth hifi gear.

If i would like to use the audio of my compter on a hifi, i would make use of a high fidelity DAC like Music Fidelity V5, Linn Numerik,... Spdif input, analog output with reclocking quality.

@Crumb

A500 Rules!
  • »23.12.09 - 14:17
    stephen_robinson
    I (could*) use Quad 66-pre into Quad II into Lowther Horn units, But if you've got the space I'd recommend Quad electrostatics, 57s preferably.

*In fact I actually use a Quad 34Preamp into a very late, grey livery, Quad 303 into some 'Sharp' speaker I happened to 'acquire' someplace, that happen to sound better with the power amp than anything else I had available.

I know the 303 isn't the best sounding amp, even in 1969, But I just love the fins!

Sorry, to answer your question, dunno, I'd plug it into your stereo if I were you.
  • »23.12.09 - 14:38
    boot_wb
    @OP

I'm thinking of getting a USB soundcard for this exact reason. The top end seems to be maxed out (rattle-y) even after reducing the volume with individual applications (eg mplayer) under MorphOS, where the same file will play perfectly well on the same machine under OSX.

I don't imagine a USB soundcard will be any worse quality than the onboard sound anyway; I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes once I get hold of one.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.01.10 - 01:50
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Quote:

boot_wb wrote:

I don't imagine a USB soundcard will be any worse quality than the onboard sound anyway; I'll try to remember to let you know how it goes once I get hold of one.

As far as I know, the deneb driver is still the only one allowing poseidon to handle usb soundcards.
  • »02.01.10 - 03:00
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    As far as I know, the deneb driver is still the only one allowing poseidon to handle usb soundcards.

Really? audio.class is listed under "usb devices" on the hardware compatibility page.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.01.10 - 03:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Maybe it's there, but it can only work with an usb device supporting isochronous transfers, and pciusb.device doesn't (only deneb's driver supports it).
  • »02.01.10 - 03:21
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Bummer.

But thanks for the info. :-) I've already Ebayed a cheap one, but can always use it on my Deneb if it (inevitably, it seems) won't work on the Mac-mini.

Odd that it's still listed on the MorphOS hardware compatibility list, with Pup systems no longer officially supported. Will have to have a search, see if/where it has been discussed before.

[EDIT] Here seems to be confirmation from Chris Hodges of what you were saying. Damn...

btw - Why did Chris leave? His profile says "ex-member", signature says "Bye... Chris Hodges", and he hasn't logged in for a good while.

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/1/2 3:46 ]

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/1/2 3:47 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.01.10 - 03:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why did Chris leave?

On August 25th he wrote on pegasosforum.de in an answer to mk (translation):

"The reason I withdrawed from MorphOS development some weeks ago: Because [censored] like you are pissing me off permanently here, personally offend, babble shit and don't bring about anything constructive."
    http://www.pegasosforum.de/viewtopic.php?p=41221#41221
  • »02.01.10 - 14:48
    boot_wb
    @Andreas_Wolf

Thanks for the info.
    I'm sorry to hear that: Chris is a talented guy who has brought positive things to the community (notably Poseidon and TLSFmem amongst many others).

I obviously don't know the back-story to the problem, so won't comment further.

Has anyone else taken over any development for USB on MorphOS? Were there any other OS components that Chris was responsible for, which are currently unallocated?

@Chris

Good luck to you, whatever happens.

[ Edited by boot_wb on 2010/1/2 15:43 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »02.01.10 - 15:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I obviously don't know the back-story to the problem

It's told briefly:
    Some people on pegasosforum.de (and probably elsewhere as well) were of the opinion that for 150 EUR they could expect to get an OS with a USB stack that is not that bug-ridden like they think Poseidon (and/or accompanying components by Chris like pciusb.device) is/was.
  • »02.01.10 - 15:53