What Happened to MorphZone.org's Usability?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai

• Only 5 posts shown on front page; now one has to look for threads in the huge and unusable forum sub-page; huge waste if time. Morphzone.org is a forum. Why not keep it that way?

• No information about poster/ person who replied, so one can't decide to ignore something before actually checking out the thread

Who had this 'smart' ideas?

Can we get back some usability, please? Bad enough already that the site layout breaks in various situations and the loading speed sucks because all the huge images used for it (not everyone has 6 MBit or better connections).

</rant>
  • »04.12.09 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Nice! I like the fact that I can see who made the last post in a thread.

IKE
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »06.12.09 - 06:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Yeah I'm loving the new MZ look too. Congratulations guys. and thank you
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »06.12.09 - 07:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Last night I got my A1200/060 in original case with IndivisionAGA video display and Blizzard SCSI-2 controller connected to the Internet through the wireless PCMCIA card I bought from AmigaKit. I used Miami and IBrowse2.4 and checked a few websites, including this one.

Yes, it was slow and ugly on that setup, but it worked. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of web browsing on the A1200, but I will be working on setting up file sharing and maybe printer sharing over my LAN to another Amiga, and/or my PC and this G4 MacMini running MorphOS2.4.

It is funny that after all these years of using and collecting Amiga hardware and software, I have finally got a Classic Amiga with a wireless connection and recently upgraded the RAM to 256mb Fast RAM. That is a lot of RAM to use on a Classic Amiga. I think I will see how much I can use on some LightWave scenes.

Back on topic, I like the look of the new MorphZone. It is a big improvement over the old version.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.12.09 - 19:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I like the fact that I can see who made the last post in a thread.

That feature has been there before:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050825182039/https://morph.zone/modules/news/

And yes, it's good it didn't get removed :-)
  • »07.12.09 - 01:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    it would be nice if a direct link to the pages of the thread (if there are any) could be be selected on the frontpage. it could save a lot of time. most forums have that feature.

anyway big up for the new downloads section! it was a nice idea to merge it with krashan's morphos-files. very good work and hooray for the jobbo icons:)
    actually for me the icon for the news item of the new downloads section is awesome. can it be used for more?:)
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »07.12.09 - 02:12
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    When using Explorer 6 the morphzone-logo is not transparent. Also there is a huge grey box right below home/bounties/forums....
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »07.12.09 - 06:36
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    So how does AMosaic handle it? :)
  • »07.12.09 - 06:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    In general, I like the revamped design. MorphZone was calling for a facelift so much, that it would have been fine if it was for the worse instead than for the better!
    But why "viewtopic.php" still uses a fixed width listing? It doesn't make use of the whole page width, given a big resolution, of forces the reader to scroll horizontally, if resolution is low.
    Also, I think it still has non properly coded tables , because it takes a lot to render. In my older Pentium III at 600Mhz (used at work for almost nine years) sometimes a forum page took a full minute of 100% CPU usage to display.
    I also have problems with the new downloads page (cited in its own news item).
    I understand that the design has to go to a modern, CCS based one, in order to keep up with its manteinance. Also, implementing CCS all accross is a much harder task than doing prettier banner images (which I would also like to see).
    Gotta love that "design by Andre Siegel" at the bottom, I really like his work.
  • »07.12.09 - 08:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    it looks great indeed
  • »07.12.09 - 09:28
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Quote:

But why "viewtopic.php" still uses a fixed width listing? It doesn't make use of the whole page width, given a big resolution, of forces the reader to scroll horizontally, if resolution is low.

I could list a whole series of arguments, studies, etc. now, but I will just keep this simple:

Why does the New York Times website use a fixed-width design? One would expect that the people who run newspapers (online and offline) know a fair share about layout and typography. (Feel free to look at other newspapers websites as well.)

Apparently, many experts who deal with the aspects of 'readability' on a daily basis think that a fixed width design is better than a dynamic design.

So, without discussing the details, is it is really unreasonable to assume that perhaps these experts know better what is considered 'best' for the average reader even if you personally truly love to read long texts without line-breaks and an 8px font in a full-width window on a 2560x1600 display?
  • »07.12.09 - 09:45