Morphos ppc demos
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Hello, don't know how to put this question, so if it fits better on another place, moderators feel free to move it.
    The question is: Are pegasos ppc demos working in mos 2.4?
    I tried fluffy snowflakes from amiga demoscene archive, and it begins and shows the first image, then quits, and show an unexpected quit.
    Are ppc demos still compatible with version 2.4, or i need to run it under another software in mos?.
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »26.10.09 - 14:21
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    @_ThEcRoW

Some demos are designed for Permedia2, others require a 15bit screenmode... Others (just a few) require MorphOS1.4.x and old 3D tinyGL/rave (Fluffy Digital Snowflakes was released when MorphOS2.x was not released yet and has a compatibility flag for 1.x but I have not tested it with MorphOS2.4) . I have noticed that a good bunch of MAWI demos work. Try final versions of latest Elude demos as these usually work (I had to dig a little to find Soliloquy really final version). Multiverse from Loonies works quite well. Demos done with Krabob's Karate usually works quite well too.

The most compatible hardware to run WarpOS demos is probably MorphOS 1.4.x running on a classic amiga with a Permedia2 :-)

[ Edited by Crumb on 2009/10/26 17:17 ]
  • »26.10.09 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Then, there is no backward compatibility on mos 2.4 with mos 1.4.x?
    Will try the demos you suggested.
    Thanks for the reply!!!
  • »27.10.09 - 19:15
    guruman
    As far as I can tell, MorphOS 2.x seems 100% (or almost, I don't remember any problem though) compatible with 1.4.5. Just like with MorphOS 1.4.5 to run Fluffy Digital Snowflakes you need to type from CLI

MWI+SPD-FDS.exe -old

Other demos that work:
    Elude 68k ones, the MaWi demos you can download from here at MorphZone, Encore ones, some of the old PPC demos from Venus Arts, some old WarpOS demos from Mankind, Zero from Universe (for AOS4 using os4emu). Another native one is BX GL1 from Bluebox Cinematique (has a nice blue butterfly and a blue teme).

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »27.10.09 - 21:35
    Crumb
    @guruman

what Encore demos run on 2.4?
  • »27.10.09 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    I just tried and ByNight and Sulaco still work nicely as they always did, at least in window (did not try fullscreen). I think I downloaded them years ago here at MorphZone. I do show them at events/meetings where I bring my machines from time to time.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »27.10.09 - 22:24
    Crumb
    I'll redownload the Encore demos as I took the files from my pre-April and I guess the files were corrupted :-P
  • »28.10.09 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Thanks for the info guruman!!!. I will download and try these demos and tell what happened.
    Thanks!!!
  • »28.10.09 - 14:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    One offtopic question: Is there a decompressor on morphos 2.4. I can get inside the .zip files, but couldnt extract them. Do i need to place unzip, lha, and the rest on C, just like in the classics?
    Thanks in advance!!!
  • »28.10.09 - 14:24
    Golem
    Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
    One offtopic question: Is there a decompressor on morphos 2.4. I can get inside the .zip files, but couldnt extract them. Do i need to place unzip, lha, and the rest on C, just like in the classics?

LhA is included with MorphOS, for zip archives you can use XADUnFile to extract. XADUnFile works with any archive type supported by xadmaster.library, XADLibInfo will give you a list.
  • »28.10.09 - 16:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    If Ambient can show the inside of ZIP files then you can extract them. Just select the files/directories and copy them elsewhere. They will be extracted in the process...
  • »28.10.09 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    I already tried to copy and paste the files iside the .zip that ambient show, but always got an error saying it can't be done. Is something that is needed to configure?. Coping the files inside the .zip should work normally?.
    I tried but no luck.
    Thanks!!!
  • »28.10.09 - 22:35
    CountRaven
    Why do not you just right click the file, selecting extract To...? This would do the trick.
  • »29.10.09 - 07:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    most demos (at least the newer/good ones) from fit have a morphos port:
    http://www.kameli.net/fit/

Several very nice demos (at least those which have a linux port) from traction
    http://pouet.net/groups.php?which=1270&order=thumbup
    also have sources available and probably can be easily ported to morphos
    (they use sdl, opengl - and for audio fmod which can be easily replaced wiht sdl-mixer -
    did so some years ago, to watch/hear those on my pegasos)
  • »29.10.09 - 07:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Frostwork wrote:

they use sdl, opengl - and for audio fmod

Are you sure those are demos? From what you say, they are constructed more like an office suite ;-)

(I guess I'm too old for this shit)
  • »29.10.09 - 08:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    There is no extract to... option using the right button on a .zip file. Already tried that.
  • »29.10.09 - 12:41
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
    There is no extract to... option using the right button on a .zip file. Already tried that.

Then add it yourself with Ambient's Mime prefs :) Take a look for lha how it's done for an example... it's very handy to make all options you ever want for each filetype.
  • »29.10.09 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    You can only extract from zip (or other supported xadmaster formats) archives. There's not write access. I have the feeling you're trying to copy *to* the zip archive instead of copying *from* it.
    So, just drag files you see in the zip archives and drop them to ram: or so.

And of course, like said above, you can also override the actions as you want, and use unzip or xadunfile instead, if you prefer.
  • »29.10.09 - 16:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:

Oh c?mon! Thank to god, we?re not that sophisticated as other OSes!

Think miggies way. Open the zip with double click on it. Switch the view to all files.Select the files and copy?em over you wanna have it extracted ( ie ram: )

Thats it
  • »29.10.09 - 18:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I just tried and ByNight and Sulaco still work nicely as they always did, at least
    > in window (did not try fullscreen).

Here (Mac mini) they don't work. I just get a grey screen (fullscreen mode) or an empty window (window mode), nothing more.
  • »11.12.09 - 15:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Same here on Efika. Strange, as Krashan reports they work OK.
  • »11.12.09 - 16:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've only tested demos uploaded to MorphOS Files on Pegasos 2. Then after reports that Encore demos fail on Efika, I've checked it and indeed both "Sulaco" and "By Night" didn't work.

But then kiero sent me an updated version of "snd_server", which plays music in these demos. After replacing original with kiero version, both demos work on Efika (tested). Both demos repacked with new "snd_server" are uploaded to MorphOS Files as "1.1" version. I hope they also work on Mac mini, but have no hardware to test.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2009/12/11 20:36 ]
  • »11.12.09 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > kiero sent me an updated version of "snd_server", which plays music in these
    > demos. After replacing original with kiero version, both demos work on Efika (tested).
    > Both demos repacked with new "snd_server" are uploaded to MorphOS Files as "1.1"
    > version. I hope they also work on Mac mini, but have no hardware to test.

Both demos are running fine now on Mac mini. Thanks to you and kiero.
  • »12.12.09 - 00:55