Lack of WiFi mini sucks!
Topic is Locked
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    I owe a Mac Mini for almost four yeas. This January got back to Amiga world.

Unfortunately I have very little money this year so instead of buying the Sam (multiply the Eur prices x 4 here) I have been waiting for Morphos.

I know it isn't meant to support WiFi for now, the reason is "wpa requires intensive work, no security option is unacceptable".

Now I was forced to move. The place here has only unsecured wifi. Previously I had an Apple Airport network in my home, providing access to PC (Win/Lin) and Mac. Also the cell phone was connecting to some Apple app remotely by wifi.

So anyway now I don't have any piece of cable here. As I said, I've been waiting for goddamn long just to have MorphOS on my Mac. Now it's no internet connectivity... Just like the Moana stuff, man!

Anyway I know I can buy some appliance but wasting money is not what I need. Especially opposed to an argument pointed here that "no one is using unsecured wifi nowadays". So what?? I'm using one, I don't have NSA files on my computers, sharing policy is disabled now but if some redneck wants to hack in... Please come in! I don't care about people requiring attention anymore, I'm grown up.

So to summarize, I don't like the idea of some mosteam members being so full of themselves to let go wifi or modem in the Mini. I should be greatful DVI will work on the other hand... The point is if I knew in January that the Mini version (due Oct or later though) would not support wifi, if I knew about the removal, I dunno, from my perspective now I'd be a Sam owner, on credit cards but hell yes.

All I cannot understand is forcing me to waste money on a piece of wifi client with the cable. Just because of some "save the world secure ourselves" policy.

Therefore the money will come from the MOS license. Sorry guys, I don't think Sam or Peg price is stupid, it's just high. Now this is stupid. So you've got your system to do whatever it fits you, I got my license fee to spend on what I want to.
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »27.09.09 - 21:09
    Golem
    Who is forcing you?
  • »27.09.09 - 21:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    Who is forcing you?

I.
  • »27.09.09 - 21:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    But seriously no one is forcing anyone to do anything, it's modern times, you know.

I had my plans about Amiga system, eventually I turned out just to ough to wait. But if I am to waste my money I hardly have now, just to sponsor someone's greenpeace-like decision, I won't suport the person(s).

So no forcing here, just fun and gentlemen's bilateral obligments :-)
  • »27.09.09 - 21:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    You can get an ethernet - wifi bridge (sometimes called wifi game adapter).
  • »27.09.09 - 21:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Maybe some day you can plug a wifi usb with some chipset suport, everyone knows that macminis wifi is not support on morphos months ago, write a long thread about "sucks" its a good support for the mos devs.
  • »27.09.09 - 22:10
    Kronos
    @kickstart

A USB-Dongle is really just a WiFi-card with different connector, one would have to write just as much new SW as for the builtin WiFI.

A Ethernet-Dongle on the other side will do all the nasty details of WiFi by itself, all you need to do is setting it up with your browser (just like you would do with a router or Net-printer).
  • »27.09.09 - 22:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    Yes i know what is a usb wifi, i talk about that is better to make a driver for a generic uwifi usb than just for the built-in airport.
  • »27.09.09 - 22:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Normally I am an easy going person that can sit back and absorb a lot of crap before it gets under my skin, but this is not one of those times.

Quote:

I owe a Mac Mini for almost four yeas. This January got back to Amiga world.

Unfortunately I have very little money this year so instead of buying the Sam (multiply the Eur prices x 4 here) I have been waiting for Morphos.

If you had your MacMini for 3+ years before getting back into the World of Amiga, then you must have purchased it to use MacOSX, or some other OS, so why cry about having to wait for MorphOS on the MacMini? I am pretty sure that MorphOS for the MacMini was not even announced when you purchased your MacMini. Also, if you are not happy about the time you have waited for MorphOS to be released on the MacMini, why would you want to add even more delays to its release by asking for wifi support?

Quote:

I know it isn't meant to support WiFi for now, the reason is "wpa requires intensive work, no security option is unacceptable".

I am sure that there were many reasons to postpone the support of the MacMini's wifi card, the amount of time it would take away from other important parts of porting MorphOS to the MacMini is just one of them.

Quote:

Now I was forced to move. The place here has only unsecured wifi. Previously I had an Apple Airport network in my home, providing access to PC (Win/Lin) and Mac. Also the cell phone was connecting to some Apple app remotely by wifi.

So anyway now I don't have any piece of cable here. As I said, I've been waiting for goddamn long just to have MorphOS on my Mac. Now it's no internet connectivity... Just like the Moana stuff, man!

Hey, we are all sorry you don't have any money and had to move to a place that does not have an Internet connection for you, but WAAAAAH, how is that the problem of the MOS Dev Team? And what the heck does this have to do with the "Moana stuff"?

Quote:

Anyway I know I can buy some appliance but wasting money is not what I need. Especially opposed to an argument pointed here that "no one is using unsecured wifi nowadays". So what?? I'm using one, I don't have NSA files on my computers, sharing policy is disabled now but if some redneck wants to hack in... Please come in! I don't care about people requiring attention anymore, I'm grown up.

To quote you I could just say "So what??" and tell you to grow up and act like a man, because your long tirade certainly does not appear to be the act of a "grown up".

Quote:

So to summarize, I don't like the idea of some mosteam members being so full of themselves to let go wifi or modem in the Mini. I should be greatful DVI will work on the other hand... The point is if I knew in January that the Mini version (due Oct or later though) would not support wifi, if I knew about the removal, I dunno, from my perspective now I'd be a Sam owner, on credit cards but hell yes.

Well then go get your SAM with your credit cards and have a NICE DAY! Where do you come off accusing the MOS Dev Team members of "being so full of themselves", just because they have made a decision (and a very good one IMHO) about what is more important to them and the majority of the MorphOS users? Here you are complaining about how long you have to wait for MorphOS to be released on the MacMini, but you want the team to spend a huge amount of their time to further delay its release, just so you will have wifi on your MacMini through MorphOS. Well I and a lot of other people have been waiting too and we don't want to wait longer just to have wifi support upon initial release of the MacMini version of MorphOS. If it gets done later, great, but I am not going to cry about it if the MOS Dev Team chooses other things to work on that are more important to them. And another thing, where did you see it written that the Dev Team EVER said that they were going to support wifi on the MacMini? Where do you get this idea that they "removed" it from their plans? The only thing I have seen is that some of the team members have stated that it would not be included in the first release.

Quote:

All I cannot understand is forcing me to waste money on a piece of wifi client with the cable. Just because of some "save the world secure ourselves" policy.

Therefore the money will come from the MOS license. Sorry guys, I don't think Sam or Peg price is stupid, it's just high. Now this is stupid. So you've got your system to do whatever it fits you, I got my license fee to spend on what I want to.

As others have stated, no one is forcing you to do anything. Did someone put a gun to your head when you bought your MacMini? Did they put a gun to your head when you decided to get back into the World of Amiga last January? I don't think so! I am not 100% sure about what you are referring to when you wrote "Now this is stupid", but I can tell you many things I have read in this thread that "I" think are stupid. And as for you silly threat of what you are going to do with your license fee, I am sure the MOS Dev Team is just crushed and will never recover from it. (sarcasm intended)

I am truly sorry that you are having any kind of financial trouble, I really am, as I know what that is like. I have not been able to work for over two years and most of my money goes toward health care costs and insurance, since my back surgery failed to provide me with any relief from the constant pain, but I am not going to blame the MOS Dev Team for that or anything else in my life. After all, LIFE is what you make of it!

So now you can go ahead and flame me for what I have written above, but it will only make you look even more childish than your original post has already done so.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.09.09 - 00:41
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    @ diskdoctor,
    I actually agree with you on the sucks part, and totally feel you. (felt the same when I bought my efika, and found out then about the non analog or wireless support0). It is what it is man! If not spending money is the issue, remember....this is amiga Os they all have been about spending for an adaquet setup. think I'll put my old stuff up someday. I have a wireless bridge on my efika with a wirleless router, i hope it works if and when macmini ver. is released.

[things i bought which i cant use: hp/lexmark printer, usb webcam, usb dvdrw-can't burn or read blanks, usb tv stick, unamplified philips speakers-work fine on mac,]

....someone needs to chill :roll: ^--
  • »28.09.09 - 02:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    I don't tjink the lack of the WPA2 security protocol can be an excuse for not having ANY WiFi support on MacMini.
    For example, each store of our chain in Spain has access points WITHOUT any kind of security: No encryption, and open authentication. That's because we are forced to use certain industrial WiFi terminals, that don't support advanced WPA security.
    Of course, our access points only allow connections from certain MAC addresses. And its SSID is hidden. That's all. We've never had any problem.
    I'm sure there's many other places with this kind of configuration.
    Not having any WiFi because of the lack of WPA2, effectively, sucks. In fact, I almost can't believe it. Sure I've understood it bad.
    I also understand that writing a WiFi stack already is a hell of a job...
  • »28.09.09 - 08:39
    Develin
    Lack of wifi is not a biggie...
    I bought a devolo homeplug, works great and has good speed.
    By doing this you ease the brain of the extra radio beams that attack us all over =)
  • »28.09.09 - 10:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ jcmarcos

Quote:

For example, each store of our chain in Spain has access points WITHOUT any kind of security: No encryption, and open authentication. That's because we are forced to use certain industrial WiFi terminals, that don't support advanced WPA security. Of course, our access points only allow connections from certain MAC addresses. And its SSID is hidden. That's all. We've never had any problem.

Just because you managed to walk repeatedly through a minefield and stay completely unscathed does not mean it is a secure or advisable thing to do.

I am not a hacker by any stretch of the imagination but I can find and download software to discover networks with hidden SSIDs in a matter of minutes. Spoofing MAC IDs is not brain surgery either.

Quote:

I'm sure there's many other places with this kind of configuration.

It may be different in Spain, but, in other parts of Europe, running an unencrypted network makes you legally responsible for anything the network is being used for (illegal file sharing would be one example, but there are far worse activities than that).

Quote:

Not having any WiFi because of the lack of WPA2, effectively, sucks. In fact, I almost can't believe it. Sure I've understood it bad. I also understand that writing a WiFi stack already is a hell of a job...

The implication that there is no Wi-Fi support in MorphOS because of a lack of WPA2 is nonsense. There is no Wi-Fi support with or without encyrption. Period.

Anyway, there have been third-party Wi-Fi drivers in the past (Prism2). There could be new ones in the future. However, I doubt that the original post that started this thread is suitable to motivate any developer to do anything...
  • »28.09.09 - 10:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    It was said a good couple of weeks ago, that there won't be WIFI support on MorphOS for MacMini.

I'd prefer to have no WIFI than to wait longer for MosMini release.

Diskdoctor: If you can afford a new Sam, you cannot afford an access point, connected through lan?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »28.09.09 - 13:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    Well, I got my efika by very few mounths (3 or 4...), I did had much fun to make my own wooden case (which it's still uncomplete) and to setup it...
    Now I can say that I didn't buy the efika for morphos (even if I was very curious...), the Efika had many caratheristics which I was looking for to setup a small server and automize some jobs (....and it don't bring down its value too much, compared to other hardware...).
    So I decided to partitioned my hd to give some space for morphos...(It would be stupid to not give a try...).
    What I can say, indeed it's a magnificient OS, I amazed to see how good run on such hardware...
    That's the very (and maybe only...) strong point of this OS (and maybe AOS4 too...) as there's very limited software, and not to tell you the pain which I suffered to get the documentation which I need (now I wasn't an Amiga user, I owned just an A600 in my childhood which I used to play, I did not even saw a graphic interface in the last tree years (just a windows tab manager....), as I'm happy with my freebsd on my T23...

Now, I'm still tring to figure out why should I pay 150 Eur., and I'm still tring to figure out the developes and some community's member attitude...
    I can understand myself which morphos can be use (for now...) just as a OS for fun, for amateurs guys, I can't see another use...
    The Amiga at his time was far away forward against any other computer in the multimedia sector, used in the production by many movie houses and televisions....
    ....I'm still tring to figure out why Morph and OS4 are considered new amigas OS...
    Your answer synthesize the community and developers philosophy.
    Did goals to catch up exist? Why the developers are producing the morph?
    Is their goal to not sell any more licence then 1000...
    Why should software houses produce some software when there are not users at all...
    I think it would be better to low the licence price in order to make more and more users, even if this policy doesn't produce profits in the short terms, it will bring more success in the long, or it will be very difficult to survive...
    It's a real shame for such a beaty OS.
  • »28.09.09 - 15:04
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    The previous message was for @Golem,due to the answer "Who is forcing you?"

• »28.09.09 - 15:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

It may be different in Spain, but, in other parts of Europe, running an unencrypted network makes you legally responsible for anything the network is being used for (illegal file sharing would be one example, but there are far worse activities than that).

I don't think that is completely true... You might be accused of negligence, perhaps, but not responsible of what happens with your network.

If you leave your car in the street open and with the keys on the contact, and someone comes, steals your car, runs over someone and kills him, you won't be charged by homicide. You might be charged for negligence, in case you didn't have any good reason to leave the car like that, but not homicide.

What I mean, is that the person who is prosecuted, is the person who commits the acts. If the court considers you had enough security in you wifi, you should be free of charge. If the court considers you had you network inadecuately secured, you might be charged, but in other terms (depending on lots of things)...
  • »28.09.09 - 15:12
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    [quote]I don't think that is completely true... You might be accused of negligence, perhaps, but not responsible of what happens with your network. [/quote]

Sorry but it is true at 85%...You are not responsible if you prove you have taken the normal amount of protection against those risk.
    Usually people penetrate system of user which are not well aware of all security risk giving hackers more power to bring down network.
    So in order to make those people understand such risks, such laws exist...
  • »28.09.09 - 15:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    [quote]If you leave your car in the street open and with the keys on the contact, and someone comes, steals your car, runs over someone and kills him, you won't be charged by homicide. You might be charged for negligence, in case you didn't have any good reason to leave the car like that, but not homicide. [/quote]

It's not so easy. Here in Italy we got several sentences of such case, the court decided in many cases which the owner was jountly responsible even if not equally....
  • »28.09.09 - 15:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Quote:

It's not so easy. Here in Italy we got several sentences of such case, the court decided in many cases which the owner was jountly responsible even if not equally....

That's preciselly the thing. It all depends on magnitudes, an cases... If afterwards the court decides you are guilty, and you have helped the criminal in porpouse, you might be responsible too...

What I mean, is that you don't become responsable directly of the delictive acts made from your internet connection. It requires a criminal investigation, and all that... And counting with the wisdom of the spanish courts in topics related to cybercrime... the outcome might be anything xD.
  • »28.09.09 - 16:13
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    It may not be supported initially, due to the fact that it is not a "portable" system, but may be eventually if MorphOs is ported to powerbook, ibook. This is all speculative since again nothing official is announced, just slips here or there. Not even sure if an October release is credible. As stated though, don't care about security, as I use mine without currently. Secondly, my efika is part of my entertainment system in my livingroom, no long blue internet wires involved, so I hope I can get the same setup, if there is no airport support.
  • »28.09.09 - 17:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    "It may not be supported initially"

I think it WILL NOT be supported initially, but anything can happen later. Perhaps the Dev Team, or someone else will code support for the Apple Airport wireless card(s), with or without WEP or WPA security active initially and add the security to the wireless driver later. Who knows what is going to happen after MOS for the MacMini is released.

The one thing I do know for sure is that there is a huge amount of interest in running MOS on Apple PPC hardware of any kind and I expect that once MOS for the MacMini is released, we will see an increase in usage and hopefully an increase of programming for apps and games for MOS.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.09.09 - 19:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Hey, we are all sorry you don't have any money and had to move to a place that does not have an Internet connection for you, but WAAAAAH, how is that the problem of the MOS Dev Team? And what the heck does this have to do with the "Moana stuff"?

Please reread my previos post and report doing so before you post again in this very topic. I didn't write I have no internet access. The free access provided here is via WiFi only. Also, there's no such thing as place without internet, man, see: GPRS, Globalstar etc so don't be ridiculous, please. On the dark side, mayby there, but not here.

I quoted Moana because moana has no network support, neither my MOS/ Mini is gonna.

And what is having money anyway, man? I still got significant credit limit but the point I touched wasn't about spending money, it was about wasting money. Well this limit is no more in my case.

Quote:

pampers wrote:

It was said a good couple of weeks ago, that there won't be WIFI support on MorphOS for MacMini.

That's right. But recently someone stated in some other thread that WPA requires work while no security option is ready but won't be included.

Quote:

Diskdoctor: If you can afford a new Sam, you cannot afford an access point, connected through lan?

Please try to read your sentence backwards. If I ought to buy MOS licence and if I seem to be capable of affording WiFi2ethernet applience also, maybe I am too, capable of getting Sam right now?

Another alternative is just buying the bloody appliance and giving up the OS fee. Or waiting for the wifi, possibly 201x and simultaneously waiting for Sam funds... I dunno, man, fortunately the new flat is just great!

Quote:

I'd prefer to have no WIFI than to wait longer for MosMini release.

Me too but as I understood some other post, this is not the issue of waiting anymore, that's the issue of deciding wheather to include the raw functionality or not.

Security reasons? Who in the known part of the universe is gonna hack my Mac Mini with MorphOS on it - you guys are just nuts.

Quote:

xyphoid wrote:
    It may not be supported initially, due to the fact that it is not a "portable" system,

No way Mini IS portabe. You've got 7 inch LCDs (see: netbook market), you've got DVI2S-Video adapter for a TV set (I got one). The Mini is portable, indeed, maybe not to you. It just lacks a built in screen.
  • »28.09.09 - 19:34
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    silverf0x0
    @DiskDoctor:
    Security reasons? Who in the known part of the universe is gonna hack my Mac Mini with MorphOS on it - you guys are just nuts.

Are you really sure? It is true wich the less a system is know and used , the most can be considered secure...
    ...But we are talking of an OS where security has never been taken in account, I can understand the amiga at old times (it was not a network oriented system...) where there was not network at all, but nowdays there's no excuse....

I don't know in the universe, but here on earth among the amiga users there are very skilled hacks, you can only imagine what could happen if a bad one decide to do some bad thing...
    ...No wonder I use a firewall who cover all my network...
  • »28.09.09 - 20:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ diskdoktor

The moana project doen't neither support the inbuild Eth nor the WLAN. MorphOS for the Mini actually does support the Eth. That is quite difference!
    MorphOS on the Mini is network capable. All you need is a cable or a WLAN->Eth adapter (approx 50 EUR). So plase stop spreading FUD MorphOS wouldn't suppoert network on the Mini.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2009/9/28 21:17 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.09.09 - 20:16
    Profile Visit Website
Topic is Locked