MorphOS 2.3 vs. OS4.1 performance comparison
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Here is a quite thorough performance comparison between the newly released MorphOS 2.3 and Hyperion's OS4, on the same Pegasos II hardware:

http://obligement.free.fr/articles/amigaos41_vs_morphos23.php

It seems OS4 is completely run over by MorphOS. A good testimony to the MorphOS developers! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »11.08.09 - 20:08
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Makes you really wonder why people bother OS4 and with its lack luster performance + the legal issues surrounding it.
  • »11.08.09 - 20:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Painkiller wrote:
    Makes you really wonder why people bother OS4 and with its lack luster performance + the legal issues surrounding it.

Yeah. The only thing I can think of is that they like to follow the trademark. Which is kind of "funny", since the formal "legal issues surrounding" OS4 is at large about trade mark infringement.
  • »11.08.09 - 21:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Painkiller wrote:
    why people bother OS4

they like to follow the trademark.

...which gives an idea about how marketing is so much more important than quality. It even applies to crap marketing, done twenty years ago, and by another company.
  • »12.08.09 - 08:06
    hooligan
    There is now also a news-item about this, so one can choose which thread to participate in. Direct link to the thread here
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »12.08.09 - 08:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

It is the trademark. And probably the fact that they can find new hardware to run it. SAM may not be the best hardware ever released but it is sitll one click away and it is new.
  • »12.08.09 - 09:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ CountRaven

Quote:

It is the trademark. And probably the fact that they can find new hardware to run it. SAM may not be the best hardware ever released but it is sitll one click away and it is new.

While it is true that Genesi has sold all remaining stock of the Efika Open Client, you can still buy brand new Efika mainboards and Efika-based systems from various retailers (Directron in the USA / North America, AusPPC in Australia, Vesalia in Germany/Europe).

Since I read claims to the opposite on a regular basis, let me repeat that: Right now, you can *still* buy brand new hardware with legal warranty in order to run MorphOS 2.x. Noone is forced to buy second-hand hardware for MorphOS.
  • »12.08.09 - 10:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

you can *still* buy brand new hardware with legal warranty in order to run MorphOS 2.x.

I've been told that a SAM computer (for AmigaOS) is very expensive, compared to an Efika (for MorphOS), and it's performance is not comparably as high. So, as MorphOS is faster, performances coould come close... at a cheaper price!

Indeed, we need marketing.
  • »12.08.09 - 12:54
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    This is a very interesting performance comparison. I'm not a coding wizard so I can appreciate a real world comparison of general applications. Based on this I can surmise that there must be some fundamental differences between the two systems. Video subsystems of each must be quite different because Morph had higher frame rates for relatively demanding Quake operations. My small brain would think that MorphOS had the better video system. This seems further confirmed by FXPaint, Art Effect, and fractal generation.

Morph also very good in LHA performance. Performance in other tasks was pretty much equal or slightly better in other areas.

My take? MorphOS looks real good, MorphOS needs a good hardware platform!, and MorphOS needs more developers.
  • »12.08.09 - 15:58
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

While it is true that Genesi has sold all remaining stock of the Efika Open Client, you can still buy brand new Efika mainboards and Efika-based systems from various retailers (Directron in the USA / North America, AusPPC in Australia, Vesalia in Germany/Europe).

Since I read claims to the opposite on a regular basis, let me repeat that: Right now, you can *still* buy brand new hardware with legal warranty in order to run MorphOS 2.x. Noone is forced to buy second-hand hardware for MorphOS.

Nothing wrong about Efika. But I simply believe it does not do justice to MorphOS. Someone who would read for example this topic about the MorphOS performances and see it running on Efika would be disappointed. Right? I enjoy Efika for its smooth and silent performance but it is not the fastest hardware ever released.

Even with Samantha the stuff is funny. You have to pay allmost 1000 euros for 600 Mhz in 2009... God damned.

MorphOS shows all its power in Peg2 and AmigaOS 4 in the AmigaOne, but both those systems are rare and expensive. So the result is simply one:

Generally in the Amiga world someine should release some NEW Hardware that would give us some POWER. Bring even back the specs of Peg2 (PPC, 1Ghz, with much more memory expansion possible), but let it be cheap and capable to run MorphOS.
  • »12.08.09 - 18:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Yeah. The only thing I can think of is that they like to follow the trademark. Which is kind of "funny", since the formal "legal issues surrounding" OS4 is at large about trade mark infringement.

Or, I dunno, maybe they genuinely prefer the user-experience of OS4.x to MorphOS? I know I did, which is why when i needed the cash, i sold the Pegasos and kept the A1.
    Pegasos 1 April 2, MorphOS 1.4.5
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »13.08.09 - 17:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

CountRaven wrote:
    Quote:

Nothing wrong about Efika. But I simply believe it does not do justice to MorphOS. Someone who would read for example this topic about the MorphOS performances and see it running on Efika would be disappointed. Right? I enjoy Efika for its smooth and silent performance but it is not the fastest hardware ever released.

Even with Samantha the stuff is funny. You have to pay allmost 1000 euros for 600 Mhz in 2009... God damned.

MorphOS shows all its power in Peg2 and AmigaOS 4 in the AmigaOne, but both those systems are rare and expensive. So the result is simply one:

Generally in the Amiga world someine should release some NEW Hardware that would give us some POWER. Bring even back the specs of Peg2 (PPC, 1Ghz, with much more memory expansion possible), but let it be cheap and capable to run MorphOS.

I wonder why no one has tried to start a project to update the firmware of the Efika so it can accept another 128mb of RAM (or more) on the underside of the board where it was designed to accept additional RAM, OR to start a petition to ask Genesi to do it for a fee and then see if we could raise the money to pay for such work.

The Efika is not a powerhouse for running MorphOS, but it is still available from some dealers and it's main fault is lack of sufficient RAM while browsing the Internet. It would be a nice, cheap MorphOS machine for those wanting to find out what MorphOS is like, but many may not choose to buy one after reading about the limited RAM capability.

I guess that now with the team working on the MacMini port, no one wants to do any work on anything that would help the Efika. Shame, I wish I had the talent to do it myself.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »13.08.09 - 17:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I wonder why no one has tried to start a project to update the firmware of the Efika so it can accept another 128mb of RAM (or more) on the underside of the board where it was designed to accept additional RAM, OR to start a petition to ask Genesi to do it for a fee and then see if we could raise the money to pay for such work.

Because it can't be done through a firmware update. You have to build the actual hardware in a different way from the start. You can not add more memory to the current Efikas.

The new ARM based hardware will have 512MB RAM.
  • »13.08.09 - 18:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

but no MorphOS, so who cares here ?
  • »13.08.09 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    Quote:

but no MorphOS, so who cares here ?

My point was that they learned their lesson. (And I happens to care ;-) )
  • »14.08.09 - 07:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    takemehomegrandma wrote:

"The new ARM based hardware will have 512MB RAM."

Well...right, it won't run MorphOS...is BBRV/bplan even interested to make new hardware for MorphOS? If not, after Mac Mini...what other hardware options are there for MorphOS (ok, other old Power PC Macs...) but looking beyond that...I don't see an ARM port in the cards.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »15.08.09 - 03:40
    Profile Visit Website