smb client setup.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Since SMBFS is not an option with my Linux NAS, I was told that SMB Client was the only way to go to copy files from MOS to Unix.

Does anyone use SMB Client?

How would I setup it up in MOS 2.2?

Thanks!

Matt
  • »29.06.09 - 01:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Wishmaster
    Google is your friend.
    Pegasos PPC
  • »29.06.09 - 13:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Wishmaster you are very quick to dismiss folks with a simple google search..

For the record I have done multiple google searches and found numerous articles yielding absolutely NOTHING on how to install Samba on Morph. I have been able to locate the Samba files as well as another package of updates, but no information outlining how to install the darn thing.

I apologize if this seems like a trivial question, but there are newbies (like me) attempting to use Morph every day, and the learning curve is quite steep since we cannot find documentation for things like app installs and such...

I also apologize if I have somehow missed this info while googling, and I am asking for some help in obtaining the instructions for install. I would be very grateful if you would work some "Google Magic" and locate this info for me as I have failed miserably...

Pls advise..
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »01.07.09 - 15:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Hmmmmm... 116 views and not one single response to our question... Google may be our friend, but it isn't currently being very friendly!!

If anyone has some instructions, docs, tips, ideas, thoughts.. Whatever, please feel free to share them with us as we are currently stuck trying to setup Samba... (And just for the record, I have configured Samba on multiple Linux boxes and it really isn't THAT difficult as long as your Windows network is setup to accept it... And you have some understanding of Windows AD...)

I am just in need of the Morph specific install stuff, not the Samba settings stuff as that can be found at the Samba site if necessary...

Thanks!
  • »01.07.09 - 19:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Maybe this will help a tiny bit (unfortunately this article describes Samba configuration on a classic Amiga and MiamiDx :( )
  • »01.07.09 - 20:26
  • Just looking around
    BeNZo
    Hi,
    In my experience only the SMH-handler works good;

give a try, you can found some useful informations and files here:
    http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/

the handler is "Smdcn105.lha".

Checked on MOS1.4.5-MiamiDX mainly and on 2.2demo-MiamiDX (but I use mos1.4.5)
    Please delete this account.
  • »01.07.09 - 20:51
    matt3
    Started installing Samba, I'm with you outlawal, there is nothing out there that pertains to MOS and the Amiga stuff I found is outdated.

First question I have is how in MOS 2.2 do you set the netbios and swat commands?

Thanks

Matt
  • »02.07.09 - 04:17
    Golem
    @matt3

Quick question, do you need to run the server on MorphOS? I thought you needed access to your NAS?
  • »02.07.09 - 13:36
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Hi Golem,

That's right, all I do need to do is copy to/from the NAS. I do not need to run a server on MorphOS.
  • »02.07.09 - 14:32
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    OK let's try a slightly different tact here...

Has anyone actually installed and configured Samba on an Efika with MOS 2.2? I believe that is the current version.) And is it actually working?

If yes, please reply back with some basic steps on how you installed and configured it and I would be more than happy to draft a how-to doc that folks can use in the future...

I just need some direction here and I would be more than happy to provide a write-up for general use...

[ Edited by outlawal2 on 2009/7/2 10:51 ]
  • »02.07.09 - 16:51
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Falcon_11
    Maybe help you this site http://homepages.tesco.net/michael.carrillo/amigasamba/ it is samba config for Amiga, but for MOS it is a same. :-)
    DEAD
    MB :Pegasos-II
    CPU :G4/1GHz
    OS :MOS 2.2 reg, MOS 1.4.5, Ubuntu 8.04, MACOSX Panther on MOLk
    RAM :512MB-DDR266 Apacer
    GFX :ATI-Radeon 9200 128MB
    HDD :MAXTOR-160+80GB ATA133
    TV :Pinnacle Studio PCTV

Powerbook G4 A1139, MOS3.18
  • »02.07.09 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    SMBFS is all you need for your usage, and it's quite straightforward to run:
    smbfs workgroup=<your workgroup> user=<your username> password=<your password> volume=<the volume name it will locally use> service=<your share path (for instance: //computer/share>

You might need to add "computer" ip to host entries if you want to use a name instead of an IP.
  • »02.07.09 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Hi Fab,

Thanks for the feedback, but SMBFS does not work with my QNAP NAS. Olaf the author is looking into issues that others have had reliably copying to and from unix based nas devices.

I think that SMB-Handler is the only option for me right now. I just have to read up and figure how to set it up....

If anyone has it setup and working, I would appreciate what you did.
  • »03.07.09 - 05:13
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

BeNZo wrote:
    Hi,
    In my experience only the SMH-handler works good;

give a try, you can found some useful informations and files here:
    http://www.birrabrothers.com/tiger/data/samba/

the handler is "Smdcn105.lha".

Checked on MOS1.4.5-MiamiDX mainly and on 2.2demo-MiamiDX (but I use mos1.4.5)

Interesting... I made quick try with it. It seems to work to W2k share, but Ambient doesn't want to show its drive icon for some reason... and other device icons on desktop keep flashing time to time, so it seems Ambient keeps trying to get it, but for some reason fails in it. In any case share is accessible from My Morphos, shell and filemanagers.

But unfortunately it doesn't work with my NAS (as doesn't smbfs either, but smbclient works)... didn't see that much differences on log when it works or not... but have to check better some time.

Luckily ftp works fine...

[ Edited by jPV on 2009/7/3 13:51 ]
  • »03.07.09 - 11:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    If anyone has it setup and working, I would appreciate what you did.

Just copy SMB-handler file to L: and optionally if you want a GUI then SMB-Net anywhere you want.

GUI seems to open iconified, so when you run it, deiconify it and enter all values and click connect, that's it :)

If GUI seems a bit complicated, then it helps reading SMB-handler->Mountlist part of the guide. That seems to be only place where different options are explained even a little bit. And when you're doing it, it's same to make mountlist for your share. Copy paste the net driver handler example mountlist to sys:storage/dosdrivers/smb0 for example and edit the last (startup) line for your needs. Then type in shell "mount smb0:" and you should be done.

And some other notes for this thread. I would avoid installing whole samba if you don't absolutely need it. At least don't config inetd.conf things etc, even if you have its dir for using some binaries from it. Having it completely setted up causes useless writes to logs etc...

And don't you have any other ways to transfer files? FTP is common and well working if you need to transfer files, but don't need streaming of movies or similar... you can even mount it as a device too. And linux based nas should have other ways too I think...

[ Edited by jPV on 2009/7/3 14:11 ]
  • »03.07.09 - 12:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Oh, sorry, it seems i overlooked the first post. :)
    smbclient from samba archive might also work then. Not particularly friendly, but it should work and doesn't need any setup in samba.

to list shares, smbclient -L computer -U<user name> [-I<computer ip if needed>]
    to connect to a share, smbclient //computer/share -U<user name> [-I<computer ip if needed>]

Then it all works with ls/put/get commands. :)

[ Edited by Fab on 2009/7/3 13:51 ]
  • »03.07.09 - 13:50
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Hi Everyone,

I have been playing with SMB-Client and have not had much luck.

Here are a few of the mountlist I have been playing with.

Handler = L:SMB-Handler
    Stacksize = 40000
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1
    Mount = 1
    Startup = "\\192.168.10.11\Public MH=MORPHOS W=NAS U=Morph"

Handler = L:SMB-Handler
    Stacksize = 40000
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1
    Mount = 1
    Startup = "c=\\NAS1\Public I=192.168.10.11 MH=127.0.0.1 W=NAS U=guest

The errors I have recieved are:

Mountlist Startup: bad template
    Host cannot be contacted! connection field contain not enough (backslash)!

any ideas?
  • »04.07.09 - 02:10
    matt3
    Were getting closer...

I used the mount you supplied and now it asks for a password. Even if the account does not have a password. I created a new admin account with a password and it still prompts you twice for the password and after the 2nd attempt give you a socket access from NAS1 denied! Access denied!

The mount requester comes up asking to assign mount or cancel.

I tried putting a password in the mount file with the same results...

Any more ideas?

Matt

[ Edited by matt3 on 2009/7/6 19:19 ]
  • »07.07.09 - 00:17
    matt3
    Still no luck...

The documentation as stated earlier for the smb-NET program is useless. Gives slightly different results that mounting smb manually.

Any ideas on which is the best way to proceed?
  • »13.07.09 - 22:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Now 650 views of this thread and I still haven't seen anyone that has actually installed and is using the Samba client on Morph...

Once again, has anyone ACTUALLY installed and are successfully using Samba for Morph?
    How about a reply from the folks that actually ported Samba in the first place...

A little informed direction would be greatly appreciated!
  • »14.07.09 - 15:51
    Golem
    The client (smbclient) is fairly simple to use, you don't need to install much, just copy it to C:. It's usage is similar to a command line ftp client.

Just verified, both 68k and MorphOS native clients found on Aminet seem to work ok.

[ Edited by Golem on 2009/7/14 17:19 ]
  • »14.07.09 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Thanks for the help guys.

Still getting closer to a decent solution.

SMB Client works... Not a good solution if I can't mount a volume to copy to.

SMB-Hander (either mounting or SMB-NET) will not connect asking for a password (even if a password isn't required) Seem to be an issue with authentication, I have tried playing using password with different accounts without luck.

SMBFS - An issue has been identified with NAS users, where it connects but will generate object in use, the author is aware of it and hopefully will have a solution soon.

If anyone has more insights, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • »15.07.09 - 01:50
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @outlawal2

Many people (including myself) use SMBFS without trouble. The issue matt3 encounters is related to an issue with some NAS device, which greatly reduces the probability to find someone having the same hardware/issue.
  • »15.07.09 - 02:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    My NAS isn't working, too! Its not a QNAP at all. :)

Of course Windows has no problem accessing it and I have no problem accessing windows shares from MorphOS using SMBFS, but I can't access the NAS from MorphOS via Samba.

SMBFS is also broken by default here, as I need to call more than four times "delete #?.mp3" in shell to kill all mp3 files in drawer.

Geit
  • »15.07.09 - 12:11