Hi there!
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    I'm absolutely new to MophOS and just stumbled upon the possiblity to buy a pegasosII and voila, I'm in the blue land!

Up to now, I cannot say much about MorphOS 2.2 because i just have installed it :-) At least installation went smooth and was very easy! Oh, and the shell is great and, especially, that remote-ssh-shell. It works great with linux machines. On AmigaOS3.x/4.x that's always a pain because the linux terminal emulation doesn't work very well.

Now, I'm looking for software as the plain installation of MorphOS2.2 seems to lack some necessary things, e.g. ftp-client. Surfing the net, i found this forum. So may be you can help me? :-) Which software is a *must* have on MorphOS?

By the way, i tried to find a good ftp client, but without success. NCFTP works fine on linux, but the morphos version behaves weird and recursive downlaods doesn't seem to work at all.

Oh, and another important question. I would like to install debian linux, morphOS and also AmigaOS4.1 next to each other. Can me someone point to the right debian-linux-iso for peg2?

Now, you most likely guessed it right, that I was up to now a "pure" AmigaOS3.x/4.x user, but I was always curious about MorphOS and now, with AOS4.1 for Peg2, I took my chance to put my nose into MorphOS. Hooray!

So for those who thinks, AOS4.1 for PegII was a bad idea, I can show you that's a wrong thought, because, it opens the door for people like me, to enter the MorphOS world :-) So, i would really appreciate MorphOS for Sam440ep as well, because it's really hard to get a Peg2 nowadays :-)

Ah, another important question:

Is there a way to have a proper bootmenu to easily choose between different operating systems (or OS versions)? At the moment I only have MophOS 2.2 installed, but, as I said, I'd like to also install Debian Linux and AmigaOS4.1!

Ok, this pamphlet is already long enough, thus, sorry for it (and for maybe my broken english ;-) ) and thanks in advance for your response :-)

regards,
    nexus

P.S.: Eureka, I'm not red only anymore, but red+blue! (==purple?) :-D
    Dye 'em black!
  • »24.04.09 - 12:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    welcome and congrats to your purchase!

first of all, for morphos software try these:

http://mos.aminet.net
    http://morphos.lukysoft.cz/en/
    http://teleinfo.pb.edu.pl/mfiles

for ftp-client try amitradecenter from #amigazeux. they site full of great software anyway.

get the unoffical morphos-update pack from meta-morphos, full of sw.

download the pegasos book v2.3 (from luky's site fe.) for all the knowledge about linux on peg2. it works fine (debian, ubuntu, suse).

for bootmenu get bootcreator, its a small shell utility to make bootmenu in forth for the of. easy and painless. you can have as many oses as you want on your peg.

good luck.

ps: yes, you're purple now:)

thx jambalah:)

[ Edited by sadddam on 2009/4/24 20:48 ]
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »24.04.09 - 12:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Hi,

for a neat bootmenu I'd recommand the GRUB port by Morgoth:

http://tbs-software.com/morgoth/projects.html
  • »24.04.09 - 13:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    Welcome to blue lagoon!
    Follow sadddam's exhausting indications and you will be on the right way.
    And don't esitate to ask!

P.S: Hey sadddam, I think first link is missing a "m" (aminet)..
    M for MorphOS?!?!?!?
    :-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »24.04.09 - 13:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Welcome Nexus!

I like you would describe myself as "purple" if any colour at all :-)
    I have two machines that run MorphOS2.2 & three that run AOS4.1 but I mainly use MorphOS2.2 on my PegII these days. I also have a mac mini waiting for Morphos.

Make sure you get Fab's excellent ports of OWB & MPlayer they're essential downloads imho!

[ Edited by Ruud on 2009/4/24 14:34 ]
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »24.04.09 - 14:33
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Beamish2040
    Quote:

nexus said: voila, I'm in the blue land!

The same thing happened to me once I got around to installing MorphOS on my Efika. :-) I purchased the license shortly after the install and I have not regretted it. The feeling I got using MorphOS was sort of like when I got my first A2000, only faster, prettier, and to be honest more usable. I just wish I had more hardware upgrade options but that is a problem for the entire Amiga world, even though it is better now than it has been for a while.
    If you are looking for a good web browser I would suggest installing OWB. It is a very capable web browser.
  • »24.04.09 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    hello,

thee is too www.meta-morphos.org with Packs for MorphOS:

- MorphOS Upgrade v1.32 (OWB, Helios, AmIrc, lastMUI 4b, SimpleMail, PolyGlot, etc...)
    - Pack Languages (with all languages files *.catalog existing)
    - Pack Games,
    - Pack Emulators,
    - Pack Demos,

Welcome to you ;-)

[ Edited by Papiosaur on 2009/4/24 18:06 ]
  • »24.04.09 - 17:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Drako^lM
    @nexus : welcome :)

@Papiosaur : nice work :)
    Hardware :
    Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18 & OSX 10.5
    Mini G4 1.5 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18
    BlaBla Team Member -> http://blabla.ppa.pl
    AmiParty Team Member -> http://www.chal.pl/
  • »24.04.09 - 18:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Welcome Nexus from me as well.

@Ruud,

It is always interesting to me to read about people that have both MOS2.2 and AOS4.1 systems and listen to their opinions of using both and comparing the two. It is specially interesting now that AOS4.1 has been ported to the Peg2, so a direct comparison on the same hardware can be made.

From what I have seen from users that do not appear to be unfairly biased toward one or the other OS, both seem to be fairly stable and capable in their current releases. There are certain preferences that people might have for one over the other, but actual performance or feature differences seem to be small, or few, making them fairly equal. Would you agree with this view about the comparison of AOS4.1 and MOS2.2?

I think it will be a mistake if Hyperion and the AOS4.x developers do not revive and complete the Moana project to port AOS4.x to the G4 PPC MacMini so they will be able to keep on the same hardware as MOS3.0. I just don't see any info being discussed about other hardware options for them to port to quickly that will give the same kind of performance to cost ratio as the G4 MacMini. And once MorphOS3.0 is released and shown to be 1.5 to 2.5 (or more) times faster than a SAM, who is going to want to buy AOS4.1 for the SAM anymore when the SAM cost 3 times as much to buy?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »25.04.09 - 00:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

From what I have seen from users that do not appear to be unfairly biased toward one or the other OS, both seem to be fairly stable and capable in their current releases. There are certain preferences that people might have for one over the other, but actual performance or feature differences seem to be small, or few, making them fairly equal. Would you agree with this view about the comparison of AOS4.1 and MOS2.2?

I would generally agree with what you say above. Personally I lean slightly more towards Morphos because I like the more advanced Ambient desktop and OWB & MPlayer are better featured than on AOS4.1. There are certainly some programs I like using on AOS4.1 more than their counterparts on MOS. ADRipper, AmiDVD and PFTP being the main ones. OWB is still very good on AOS4 as well but it currently has no download manager which I miss from using Fab's version.

Quote:

I think it will be a mistake if Hyperion and the AOS4.x developers do not revive and complete the Moana project to port AOS4.x to the G4 PPC MacMini so they will be able to keep on the same hardware as MOS3.0. I just don't see any info being discussed about other hardware options for them to port to quickly that will give the same kind of performance to cost ratio as the G4 MacMini.

I've booted AOS4 on my mac mini using the Moana files. Mainly because it was something to do with it while I am waiting for MOS. It does seem a shame that they aren't going to complete the port but I think they've commited themselves to only new hardware, even if it is less powerfull.

Quote:

And once MorphOS3.0 is released and shown to be 1.5 to 2.5 (or more) times faster than a SAM, who is going to want to buy AOS4.1 for the SAM anymore when the SAM cost 3 times as much to buy?

There will always be some people that won't accept MorphOS and will stubbornly refuse to even try it.
    I myself didn't really consider MOS until after I'd bought a SAM and AOS4.1. Buying that machine made me curious about all things Amiga again and I started to read forums a lot more. This led me to the official Morphos team site and I started to wonder whether I'd made the wrong choice. So I bought an Efika from ausPPC. I still prefered the SAM with AOS4.1 as a combo but I liked MOS enough that when a PegII came up for sale I snapped it up. Shortly after AOS4.1 was released for PegII which was a nice bonus. It's really nice having both on one machine, shame that won't be the case with mac mini.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »25.04.09 - 09:50
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    @all

thanks for the warm welcome :)

I was quite busy the last days but i managed to work a little bit with my pegasos (and even less ;( with MorphOS). Nevertheless, I'd like to give here some inside in my experience with PegasosII/MorphOS2.2 if allowed.

------------------------------------------------------------

For a start, I had a carefully look into the pegasos book to install Linux next to MorphOS:

Quote:

saddam wrote:
    the pegasos book v2.3 (from luky's site fe.) for all the knowledge about linux on peg2. it works fine (debian, ubuntu, suse).

Thanks to saddam :-)

Alas, the section about the linux installation is a little bit outdated but up-to-date enough to point me to the right bootloader :-)

First, I downloaded the iso-files of the ubunut/xubuntu-powerpc-distribution 8.10 and 9.04, burnt it on a CD and examined the content. To my surprise, there was a pegasos directory in the boot directory and I thought (because of the outdated documentation), that the pegasos is officially supported. Therefore, i tried to boot the CD from SmartFirmware 1.2 on my PegasosII. Unfortunately, that didn't work with none of both distributions. Mainly, because of an error in the boot script (?) because it cannot find the appropriate initrd.img-file. That file is included on the CD but with a different name. To boot the kernel directly doesn't work either. The kernel switches to a framebuffer console and you can see the start of the booting process. But then (when X is started?) you see graphic trash on the screen and nothing happens anymore.

Fortunately, as stated in the pegasos book, I could find here

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/

an appropriate image to install Intrepid Ibiz (==ubuntu 8.10), burnt it on a CD and booted it from SmartFirmware. Cool! The installation process went smooth and without problems. The only thing which made it quite hard, was the end of the installation. Here you find the information where the kerneal has been installed and what to do in order to start linux on your Pegasos from the fresh installation. Well, these information are simply wrong :-)

I was told that linux can be started by booting the kernel from /pci/scsi/disk@0,0,0:2 with the root-partiton at /dev/sda5.

If I hadn't some knowledge about linux, I would have been stuck know. Well, there's no "/pci/scsi/" in my pegasos :-) and also no "disk@0,0,0:2". To find the boot partion of linux, i had to go to: /pci/ide/disk@0,0:2!

The booting of the kernel does work in the same way as booting from the ubuntu-powerpc-isos, namely, not at all :-) graphic trash is the only thing you can see. :-)

Okay, the pegasos book clearly states to use the boot image at genesi.hu to boot the new kernel. That's great! But it doesn't work either. In the beginning everything looks fine but then suddenly a problem occurs and you find yourself in an sh-shell at ramdisk.

Again, if I hadn't some knowledge about Linux I would have been stuck. After carefully reading the log files in linux, i found out, that the root partion was not found and that the root is not at /dev/sda5 but on /dev/sda4! :-D

(oh, and also the pegasos book is not clear about what a root-partition is or what and how to specify it. So, you have to know about it in order to successfully start linux.)

Yeah, after changing that little detail, everything starts up perfectly! Great! Now I have already 2 operating systems on my PegasosII! (AmigaOS4.1 is still missing. My order has not yet arrived.)

I just wonder what happens if I upgrade from within Linux to a knew kernel or even to the new distribution 9.04? Wether the provided boot-image at genesis.hu works with a new kernel or ubuntu 9.04---I don't know? Has someone experience with it?

The bad thing about Linux on PegasosII is, that the graphical output is somehow slow :-(. Moving windows is ok, but could really be faster. Isn't there any hardware acceleration in X for peg2's graphic card? Linux on a PS3 runs only in a framebuffer without hardware acceleration---and graph output on Linux on a PS3 is not slower as on a pegasosII. And I use the lightweighted window manager XFCE4! NOT that fat gnome or that even fatter, windows-like thing called KDE :-)

(I just did some quick tests, and the "slowness" was my first impression)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next, I wanted to have a neat boot menu in order to get rid of these complicated commands to start Linux :-)

Thanks to jacadcaps:

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    for a neat bootmenu I'd recommand the GRUB port by Morgoth:

http://tbs-software.com/morgoth/projects.html

that I found the right tool for it. And it works great!

The only problem here was (and not related to the bootcreater-tool), that I have connected the Pegasos to an KVM switch and that the Smartfirmware doesn't recognice the keyboard connected to the KVM switch. And without keyboard, you don't even see a bootmenu. The firmware simply boots into MorphOS if no keyboard is detected. I took me a while until i realized that and I first thought, the bootcreater menu didn't work. (I have to say, I first installed everything on the Pegasos and after everything worked, I connected it properly with my other Amigas to my single Monitor).

----------------------------------------

Last, I tried to get some software, that I already have on AmigaOS4.1/Sam440ep, to MorphOS. For this, I have an 250GB USB-drive connected to the KVM-switch. In this way, It's easy to switch the usb drive between the machines without the need of plug/unplug it again and again.

I have formated a partition at the end of the usb harddisk first with SFS and later with FFS and copied from Sam440ep's AmigaOS4.1 some games like Wipeout2097 or Quake on it. Then I switched to MorphOS2.2 and treid to copy these games to a local harddisk.

Recognizing the USB drive and the partitions, was not a problem. But copying the files from the USB drive to the local harddisk didn't work properly. Small files can be copied, but huge files (like the ID1-files of quake) doesn't work. The copying of big files freezes the copy-process. And even worse, it causes MorphOS to crash! The mouse-pointer still works, but you cannot stop/break the copy-process and everything becomes very slow. With the right mouse button you sometimes manage to see the menu-bar, but you cannot open or close any windows anymore or even initiate the "restart" menu-entry.

So, I had to press the reset button. The same happens with both filesystems: SFS1 and good old FFS.

Has PegasosII/Poseidon/MorphOS2.2 some issues with USB? It was a surprise to me that it didn't work poperly and that it even crashed MophOS?

But in the end some good news :-) As I told you, I could small files copy from my usb drive. In this way, i managed to copy DirectoryOpus MagellanII to MophOS and it seems to work great on MophOS (it does not on AOS4.1 -> at least not on Sam440ep)! Also Wiepout2097 works with MorphOS (which does not with AmigaOS4.1-> again: at least not on Sam440ep). So, MorphOS seems to be more compatible to 68k/WarpOS-software than AOS4.1 (at least not on Sam440ep. Remember, Sam440ep has not a proper powerpc which should effect at least the warpos emulation)?

regards,

nexus

[ Edited by nexus on 2009/4/28 12:42 ]
    Dye 'em black!
  • »28.04.09 - 12:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    current morphos versions have some problems with some usb devices. try to connect the drive directly to the peg.
    also buy a via usb 2.0 pci card for the peg, usb 1.1 speed is too slow.
    i have no problems with morphos and usb devices with the exception of a nokia e(n?)90 mobile (and usb hdd but that was the problem of ntfs filesystem - morphos doesnt recognise ntsf partitions despite the installed ntfs fs - not morphos' usb stack.)
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »28.04.09 - 13:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    @sadddam

indeed, by connecting the usb drive directly to the pegasos2, i could copy also big files. It seems, Morphos has problems with USB-Hubs.

In the meantime, I've also installed AmigaOS4.1 on the pegasos2 (here, the usb-hd works also if it is connected to usb-hub). It's extreamly nice to have 3 operating systems on one Amiga :-)

greetings,
    nexus

P.S. Does anybody know where I can buy an appropriate USB2.0 PCI Card, which works with MorphOS2 and AmigaOS4.1 (though, only USB1.1 here due to the lack of usb2.0 drivers) and maybe (but not that important) with Linux?

Thanks

[ Edited by nexus on 2009/5/18 15:29 ]
    Dye 'em black!
  • »18.05.09 - 15:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    buy one with via chipset. that should work. i cannot check my card right now but it has via and bought yrz ago for the peecee...
    it works with linux too.

[ Edited by sadddam on 2009/5/19 2:04 ]
    -=-=-=-
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »19.05.09 - 01:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fogg_80
    Welcome, nexus

PCI card usb 2.0 with chip VIA VT6212L works fine on Peg2 and MOS and AmigaOS 4.1.
    I have one, is TRUST
    Sorry for my english
    Stile Ubuntu
    Sorry for my bad english.
  • »19.05.09 - 21:40
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    Yes, finally have one of these usb cards. Works great! Thanks a lot.

Now, just another thing.

Playing music on peg2 causes the peg2 to play the music on some crappy internal loudspeaker (in addtion to the line out). How can I disable that? I could not even figure out where that internal loudspeaker is .. argh :-D

thanks

nexus
    Dye 'em black!
  • »30.05.09 - 15:51
  • Just looking around
    Angelos
    Hi,

go to SYS:WBStartup/Mixer. There you can disable the internal loudspeaker
    Regards,

Angelos
  • »30.05.09 - 16:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    @Nexus,

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on top of my 7.10 installation. However, the alternative 8.10 ppc distro I've downloaded from a couple of different sites appears corrupt? I get mismatch errors when I try to install from the 8.10 CD?

Can you point me to source website for 8.10.

Many thanks

TrevorD
  • »20.06.09 - 04:22
  • Just looking around
    nexus
    hm. strange. I think, I've just have downladed the image from the official ubuntu page:

either this:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/8.10/release/ubuntu-8.10-server-powerpc.iso

or this:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/8.10/release/xubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc.iso

but I can't remeber exactly. It's already too long ago :-(

However, both should work but you need the boot-image from:

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/

Otherwise, it will not work. Maybe, you not even need the cd images because the genesi-linux-installer downloads everything from net? Damn, I should have written down the details to help updating the PegII docu.

Actually, I'm posting this right now under

Linux 2.6.25-2-powerpc #1 Tue Sep 30 14:49:00 UTC 2008 ppc GNU/Linux

so I'm not hallucinating ;-)

regards,
    nexus
    Dye 'em black!
  • »23.06.09 - 22:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    @Nexus

Thanks for the advice. I have already followed the route you suggested. Unfortunately the Ubuntu repositories for 8.10 PPC no longer appear to be onlline. @Brumiga suggested that only the UK repository now has the necessary PPC files? (see below) I am currently travelling and will try this out when I get back home next week. I did managed to install the 7.04 version which worked fine. I attempted to update to version 7.10 from the CD. It seemed to work OK but the USB keyboard & mouse were not recognised after the installation so I reverted to 7.04.

TrevorD

Edit

@Brumiga (on Power Developer advised the following:-

"You can only use ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/ from united kingdom, no other ports are available for other countries."

[ Edited by TrevorDick on 2009/6/24 13:30 ]
  • »24.06.09 - 13:26