MorphOS license
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    will there be a sale on the MorphOS license like last summer.

wanting to buy a copy, but 150euro is tooo much for may wages
  • »14.04.09 - 14:23
    Kronos
    Quote:

montymole wrote:
    will there be a sale on the MorphOS license like last summer.

wanting to buy a copy, but 150euro is tooo much for may wages

Then wait for for june wages, july wages ..... (when could I ever resist a stupid joke ?).

Give how resistant laire seems to be to ANY discount I doubt it will ever go under 150Euro again.
  • »14.04.09 - 16:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    MorphOS 2 is now almost 10 months old ... how difficult can it be to save 150 euro from your wages in 10 months if you really want something ? Or find another way ?

Since I am on a tight budget I had to sell some stuff on Ebay... mostly classic Amigastuff I didn't touch anymore. That maybe costed me 2 months selling old games and other goodies for a few euros at a time, but I now have a very nice Efika and a license.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »14.04.09 - 19:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Oepabakkes

Especially in the east-european countries and outside the Eurozone 150 EUR may be a bit steep.
    The wages aren't too high there anyway and the exchange rate of many currencies to the Euro suffered a lot.
    Maybe there will be a special discount or price drop once MorphOS for the Mac mini gets released. But those who are in possession of 150 and the appropiate hardware already should't hesitate to register now.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »14.04.09 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    well it just feels like a rip-off, 150euro and i get an email with a serial number.

if i buy and i never have windows i get a box cd/dvd disk bit of a book, (have bought)Mac OS9 & OSX the same goes for Linux 'retail'

I just cant bring myself to pay 150.00euro that's around 133.55GBP.. for an e-mail

I will just have to stick to the demo version of MorphOS, and run Debian as the main
    Aros not on my drive yet, but for a AmigaOS. Aros it will have to do.

don't get me wrong i know there is a lot of work that goes into to development ect, but 75.00euro would be more like it..

100.00 with a 'retail boxed' version, yea maybe 150.00 at a push

but no i cant do it, pay that much money for an e-mail.

i know others have given up with MorphOS due to the price, and with my luck i would buy a copy and a newer version would come out or can serial be used on the newer versions?
  • »14.04.09 - 20:03
    Kronos
    I'll never understand why some people are so keen on stupid paper-boxes ...... if I did I would probraly start a buisness around it .....
  • »14.04.09 - 20:06
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    Kronos

Send me 150.00euro and i will send you an e-mail explaining it
  • »14.04.09 - 20:15
    Simon
    First it's about "I can't afford it" ... but most of the times it should say "I don't want to pay for it" ...

And why Zylesea are you suggesting inhere that Mac version might come with a discount ... where is that written ?... If it's speculation, then it's hurting MorphOS sales.

• »14.04.09 - 20:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @montymole

The idea is you try it out and register if you find it useful, you don't register just to receive an email. Hell... I could send you an email for free if you think that's all you're buying. Oh and my keyfile has worked with three MorphOS releases so far.
  • »14.04.09 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    montymole
    ok if i was getting a retail version i would probably pay thinking that's a bit steep, but i would stand for it after 6-8months of thinking that's too much. 125euro would be more like it
    and 75.00euro for a download version

but for how its marketed i just cant bring myself to pay the money, i wouldn't sleep thinking i've been ripped off

its not just me as i have read in forums and for sale ads, stating its too much money for the OS
    i have a 1.5ghz macmini so i will want 2 licenses 1 for the mac and 1 for efi.. thats 300euro in total...and no i'm not selling the efi, and i would never never sell my amiga gear

and if i was to buy, why do i have to pay full price again for the next version, again this should be more like 30-50euro to update.

"I can't afford it" ... but most of the times it should say "I don't want to pay for it"
    if i was a multi-millionaire i would buy it, but i know the cost of money and how long it takes me to earn it.. so its i cant afford to pay for email & i dont want to pay, to make a demo version work longer than half hour.
    I will just have to stick to rebooting the machine
    but if i felt like i was getting something for my money then i would be prepared to pay

long term you should restructure the pricing. to compete with the free OS's out there, i like using MorphOS its a nice little OS, but it just seems gates originated pricing

100-125.00 retail
    download version
    75.00euro and 30-50euro for the updated version, try it for a year...
  • »14.04.09 - 21:28
    Kronos
    If people would be complaining about bugs, missing features or lack of support I could understand, but boxes ??? Heh wake up, the 80s are on the phone ......
  • »14.04.09 - 22:38
  • ZB
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ZB
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:

If people would be complaining about bugs, missing features or lack of support I could understand, but boxes ???

Well, to say it all, MorphOS has one box at least...

...the A-box. ;-) :-D
    ---
    Morphing the Phoenix...
  • »14.04.09 - 23:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I registered in July a couple f days after 2.0 was released. Break the 150 down to your monthly cost: If I continue to use MorphOS on that particular maschine until September this year, that would result in a tener a month. My monthly cost on chocolate is several times higher.
    Plus, I assume I will use that maschine many months more. But I agree, the price is a bit steep and I recomend a price <100 EUR for the Mac Mini version to get more customers. But that's the team's decision and *I* will buy a license for the Mini more or less regardlesss of the price anyway (call me an addicted;-) )
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.04.09 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

montymole wrote:

for how its marketed i just cant bring myself to pay the money, i wouldn't sleep thinking i've been ripped off

I think I understand you: In this modern world, where software is considered free in almos every case, 150 euros for a hobby operating system indeed looks like a rip off. And there hasn't been a single official statement about price going down. Ever. Desires don't become reality, even if the whole MorphOS world wishes. Remember: This is a closed project, it will always be in the hands of its parents.

I still use my unregistered MorphOS 2.2 from time to time, because I don't have tasks that require a single session of more than thirty minutes.
    And I love it. It's very classy software. I dare to say that, after you've payed for it, and started playing with it for some days, you'll forget about the money. Any Amiga operating system is very entertaining!

Quote:

i have a 1.5ghz macmini so i will want 2 licenses 1 for the mac and 1 for efi.. thats 300euro in total...

For me, that's the biggest problem: I can come to understand that using a software requires a certain amount of money, but the fact that you have to pay for machine... It hurts A LOT. Alright, not every morpher has more than one machine, but for those who have, it's outrageous.

But there's unsolvable "technical" problems to allow for multiple machine licenses: Imagine a new type of keyfile that contained not one, but several machine keys, being cheaper than several single machine keyfiles. How can the MorphOS team know that all those machines are really for a single person?

One can argue that the Team should not care about that, but be happy about selling more. Well, it seems they don't think that way, period. After all, it's their creation. It's a pity it's so expensive, but luxury taylor made goods comes at a price.
  • »15.04.09 - 08:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    You are so right.

I own three Peg2 and I love networking. But paying 450 Euros for a hobbyOS is unrealistic.

Not even AmigaOS is that expensive.

On the long term I'll be hard to expand for more users with this policy.
    ( I wonder what the stretegy of the team really is ,,,)
  • »15.04.09 - 17:42
    Kronos
    @Judas

So you paid 2000Euros for the HW (if we include 3x case, RAM,HD etc), but can't afford 450Euro for the SW ??
  • »15.04.09 - 17:57
    Simon
    The initial 150 Euro I don't find a problem... no possibility to transfer to another machine for free or special upgrade price, that I do find a problem.

But this is stated here and elsewhere so many times that I am sure that the team already knows most people are not to happy with it... So no need to go on about it.... I am sure they would make more money when they lower price for upgrading or for people that want +1 license. But I am also sure there will be piracy or people who buy a second license at a discount when it's actually for someone else....

• »15.04.09 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

and if i was to buy, why do i have to pay full price again for the next version, again this should be more like 30-50euro to update.

MorphOS 2 updates are free (if that is what you meant).
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »15.04.09 - 21:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    I'll never understand why some people are so keen on stupid paper-boxes ...... if I did I would probraly start a buisness around it .....

Wait - didn't someone else already do just that? ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »16.04.09 - 03:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

montymole wrote:
    Kronos

Send me 150.00euro and i will send you an e-mail explaining it

Send me 75 EUR and I will send you a paper box! :-P

Really, the first thing I do with all the paper boxes I get is to rip them open, pick out what's inside, and throw the "box" (what remains of it) on the recycle bin. And the CD-ROM's I get (drivers, etc) are hardly ever used, I always download the latest versions from the net anyway. CD-ROM's are worthless. And so are music CD's as well, can't even remember whenever I bought a music CD in a store, and when I did, the first thing I did when I got home was to rip the music to mp3's and put them in my own "digital universe" and throw the CD in... well, wherever my CD's are hanging around these days. ;-)

Seriously, it's time to leave the 80's...
  • »16.04.09 - 03:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

judas wrote:

Well, in that case of comparison I must say you get what you pay for...
  • »16.04.09 - 03:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

judas wrote:

Well, in that case of comparison I must say you get what you pay for...

I think you may have a point. :-)
    I personally think that if it wasn't for the fact that MorphOS and AOS4 weren't aimed at such a tiny niche then I would consider both of them over priced. As it is I can understand the current pricing. I suspect (or hope) that MorphOS will prove better value in the long run as it will receive more updates for no additional charge whereas I would bet money that the next revision of AOS4 will cost maybe as much as 4.1 even if you already own 4.1.
    It would be nice if the MorphOS team could do some kind of discount for multiple licenses though. (Although I know that some people would abuse that scheme).
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.04.09 - 17:27
    xyphoid
    AOS4 You get what you pay for debatable,
    but check posts, many fair and impartial comparisons here, and there. As this is about prices even Big Red has come over to play and even they are aware of what's going on. Efika, here too, and mac waiting on release, just payed taxes so if it comes out know, forget it...I'm done

BTW... Posted with OWB 1.2 ;-)

[ Edited by xyphoid on 2009/4/16 15:19 ]
  • »16.04.09 - 20:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    I can understand the price of AOS4.1 for PegII being reduced. Sales are likely to be slack as the majority of Peg owners are MorphOS users who are probably reluctant to spend out over 100 euros on a second Amiga like OS. Especially if they've reigistered MorphOS2 and deem AOS4.1 inferior to it.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »16.04.09 - 23:50
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TrevorDick
    As a MorphOS and OS4 user with multiple machines here my take on the pricing debate.

I think the initial price for MorphOS, though high, is acceptable for a niche OS with a very small market. However I do think there is a case for a multi-system licence for users that have more that one machine. Even for a small market it would seem fairer if additional copies of MorphOS were offered at a discounted price to licensed users who have paid for a full version. I have already paid for 4 MorphOS2.x licences and could upgrade several more but have decided not to do so because of the additional cost. I don't think it would be too difficult to control either. The additional licence keys for 2nd, 3rd, 4th machines etc would only work if the primary license key was also present.

I recently bought a copy of Mac 0S10.5 for my PPC MacMini and it allows me to install it on several machines (I think 5 but I could be wrong).

Also I agree, a box is just a box, but It is nice to get a printed manual, CD and box with OS4. Additionally you can install it on as many machines as you wish, for no additional payment. (Of course there are still machine specific versions for A1, Pegasos and SAM.

TrevorD

Footnote: I realise that the developers also have to eat and I am fully prepared to pay for major updates.

[ Edited by TrevorDick on 2009/4/18 9:42 ]

[ Edited by TrevorDick on 2009/4/18 9:47 ]
  • »18.04.09 - 09:41