new bounty proposal ? PPC Jit e-uae
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I would like to propose a new bounty. A ppc jit for Morphos E-uae.

Why ? because I think that the MorphOS on an Efika ( and maybe the G3's ? ) would be more fun to use when it had a E-uae that could at least emulate the classic games at full speed.

Maybe it could also be converted to be used with the other amigalike os's the use PPC E-uae to make it more interesting.

Anyhow I would donate for sure to a bounty like this.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »20.11.08 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    You must be reading my mind :) I just about to create the same topic. Tough this isn't really MOS related, but I don't care as long as a bounty is assigned. Why not create a bounty for UAE GUI :)

[ Edited by Painkiller on 2008/11/20 10:24 ]
  • »20.11.08 - 08:23
    Simon
    hm gui is ok, but why bother about the steering wheel before you have the engine running ...

• »20.11.08 - 09:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    and I do think it can be Morphos related .. just like you have PSPuae .. you could have MOSuae ...

Make a bountie for Morphos dedicated version of UAE, including a jit and a gui.

[ Edited by Oepabakkes on 2008/11/20 10:59 ]

• »20.11.08 - 09:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    you can open as many bounties as you want guys, the problem is still the same. There are no more coders available to pick it up.
  • »20.11.08 - 10:03
    Crumb
    @SoundSquare

As long as Bernd Meyer does not publish his m68k - > PPC JIT I don't see it happening.
  • »20.11.08 - 10:47
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    @SoundSquare

As long as Bernd Meyer does not publish his m68k - > PPC JIT I don't see it happening.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to push the buttons! Maybe just maybe if we can get enough people to donate on this project we would eventually see some progress. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of people who would like to have an usable Amiga emulator running in MOS and AOS.
  • »20.11.08 - 12:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    nice idea,

os4, linux ppc, aros ppc and macosx ppc could use this emulator too
  • »20.11.08 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @Crumb

Amidog use simple 68k jit for ppc in his Amigenerator. Maybe we could ask him to do tha bounty.
  • »20.11.08 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @zukow
    a 68k JIT for UAE has more strict requirements than a JIT for Generator, though.

@Oepabakkes
    many games are fully playable on a G3@600 machine without JIT. On the other hand, i'm not sure that uae even with JIT would be fast enough on efika. Last time i checked, it wasn't the cpu emulation that was the most time-consuming. Something like slamtilt runs at about 60% speed on efika.
  • »20.11.08 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    @Fab

I know it :) but Amidog made his own jit emulators (68k in Amigenerator & mips in fpse) so probably he is the best person to take sources from umisef and make amiholy grail :)

Games from a500 are playable on g3, aga games are playable on g4 but xtreme racing, breathless, napalm and scene demos aren't playable at all

[ Edited by zukow on 2008/11/20 14:42 ]
  • »20.11.08 - 13:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As long as Bernd Meyer does not publish his m68k - > PPC JIT I don't see it happening.

Bernd Meyer one year ago:

"Both Umilator and the 68k-to-PPC JIT are somewhere on some hard disk, and it probably wouldn't take me more than a couple of hours to find them. And if anybody is interested in the PPC JIT, give me a yell sometime next week, when I am back in Oz, and I'll go looking (note: it will require additional work which is of a highly mind-bending nature. If you don't understand how the UAE x86 JIT works, the current PPC code will be useless to you!). Something might come of it, and there is no risk for me."
  • »20.11.08 - 13:55
  • Targhan
    Actually, this discussion does bring up a thought. Could it be possible to have individual PPC emulation for the custom chips, then follow that with a new UAE? I.E., start with some of the parts rather than "Let's build a car." For instance, a PPC E-Paula would make a good choice, since Paula was a sound chip and should allow some kind of simple mod-player or the like to access it.

I do not know how well a planned path that would be, but hey it's an idea. I think the real question is how much backwards compatibility do we need V.S. how much catch up to current standards do we need?
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »20.11.08 - 18:18
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    I thought UADE (which exists for MorphOS, too) is some kind of mini-UAE only for running Delitracker-players, to play sound-modules, or am I wrong?
  • »20.11.08 - 19:52
  • Targhan
    Well UADE does play mods and the like, and I believe it is based on UAE. I am not, however, familiar with it's internal workings. Then again, I was just popping up an idea about how to fool around with emulation in general regarding UAE. I am far from an expert on the topic, that much is certain!

Back to the main topic, wouldn't a PPC JIT e-uae be better as a bounty for some cross-platform site? Getting some Mac people and others involved wouldn't hurt. Also, if what was repeated from a Bernie post is true, then it isn't impossible. I'm more concerned with the practicality.

• »20.11.08 - 19:59
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    How many mac_people would care about this ? ... most of them have x86 or will have in the near future.
    Aros ... I tought this was ment to be an x86 os also ? Altough there might be some interest.

The most interested community would be Amigaworld & Co I suppose.

It has to work for Morphos, but whoever takes the bounty can try to get people involved from the other communities as he wishes ... and I am sure that interest will come by itself once someone takes the bounty.

It has to start somewhere and why not let the Morphos community take the honors ( and the publicity ) .

• »20.11.08 - 21:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    I know this is going to sound crazy, but even with such a determined community such as ours there is a limit on resources. Then again, that is why having a discussion about possible projects is so very important. :-)

• »21.11.08 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Really? An Amiga emulator? You don't have any better ideas for applications you really really want to see on MorphOS other than an Amiga emulator?
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »21.11.08 - 20:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    eastone
    @Neko
    What is wrong with that?We want other software but we want also Jit E-UAE.

[ Edited by eastone on 2008/11/21 22:23 ]
  • »21.11.08 - 21:12
    Simon
    @Neko

last time I checked, Morphos was developed to be an Amiga compatible OS ... so I find your comment rather strange...

In my opinion, having a version of UAE developed to be 100% compatible with Morphos and with a PPC- jit would give the OS a significant advantage to the other next-gen Amiga compatible OS's. I think that 95% of the Morphos users (if not more) are users that started using the OS because of it's Amigacompatibilty

So to answer your question: Yes we have better ideas, but first the essentials ...

• »21.11.08 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    skipp604
    I totally agree with Oepabakkes.
    bplan Efika 5200B, ATi Radeon 9250 / 256 MB, MorphOS 2.4
  • »21.11.08 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    jit 68k could be also used in basilisk and atari emus
  • »22.11.08 - 11:15
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    IMO it is kind of sad that every other OS are way better in emulating Amigas than an Amiga like/Amiga OS it self. Does it really hurt anyone to create this bounty? I'm sure there would be lots of people who would love this. Maybe this isn't the best site to do it. Heh it would be actually nice to have a joint bounty site for AOS, MOS and AROS :)
  • »27.11.08 - 14:58
    Simon
    every other os .. I wouldn't dare to say that . In my opinion it's just windows that is just better in emulating Amiga, partly because UAE started on that platform and it has a big userbase that makes it worth the effort.

Hm that joint bounty site would be a good idea with this to start with... but how do you start something like this. What people and communities do you involve for this particular project ? This Jit, would also be usefull for UAE on PS3, PPCmac, PPClinux, all the PPC amiga OS's ,... If you reach all these communities, the change is bigger that is is going to happen.

• »28.11.08 - 08:16
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    I was thinking ... instead of reinventing the wheel ... can't E-UAE be modified so it uses Morphos's build-in 68k/PPC jit ?

just wondering ...

• »28.01.09 - 14:37
    Profile Visit Website