MorphOS on MAC PPC
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    Hello my friends,
    long time no see for those who are remember me !

my question is ... what is the progress of the MorphOS on MAC ???

:-?
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »16.09.08 - 15:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    It works.

- CISC
  • »16.09.08 - 17:27
  • Targhan
    and, yes, we remember you! ;-)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »16.09.08 - 19:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    @ CISC:

I know I'm going to ask you an.. obvious (and frequently asked) question, but... When could we see in action? Better: when could we touch it with our hands?
    :-)

@ liquidbits:

Hallo! I've read a lot of your posts and used "SnowSkin" in my MOS 1.4.5.. I remember... :-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »16.09.08 - 21:36
    guruman
    Hello, welcome back!

You can take a look at this thread, too:
    http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42955&forum=4

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »16.09.08 - 22:17
    hooligan
    Quote:

liquidbit wrote:
    Hello my friends,
    long time no see for those who are remember me !

my question is ... what is the progress of the MorphOS on MAC ???

:-?

My question is more relevant one, why even bother? Even Macmini is half decade old by now :-/
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.09.08 - 22:32
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Adding, didnt want to sound so negative.

So ok. Its better than nothing, but its all too late now. Even a couple years ago a port to Mini would have been a showstopper, not anymore.
  • »16.09.08 - 22:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    Well, until MorphOS morphs again to x86 &/or Loongson &/or ARM, those 'old' Macs are just about the only show in town. Surely having MorphOS on any Mac is a stepping stone to getting it on every Mac?

Maybe not... But I do wonder what it'd be like on one of those later model dual G5 systems.
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »16.09.08 - 23:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ Hooligan

I'd say the Mac Mini port is quite an improvement. Nobody with a mind in a healthy state is expecting to get morphOS playing in the same leauge as the main desktop OSes of today in the next time.
    But for the strange ppl liking some other OS te Mac Mini is quite a way to go.
    It may not be brandnew, but it is still well recognized and only a few steps behind current tech.
    It's not the breakthrough, but an improvement, and that's better than nothing.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.09.08 - 01:13
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Is it even really that big improvement over the Pegasos?
  • »17.09.08 - 05:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Amount of the Pegasos2 systems is pretty limited in da world :) It surely is BIG improvement when the only more obtainable option is EFIKA.

And MacMinis are that powerful level computers, that they will be enough for long time. Like on PC world, 1.5GHz computers are still fine for most things even with their way too bloated OS'es, not everyone are rushing after latest stuff because it's just latest. Or at least there isn't real reasons for that.
  • »17.09.08 - 07:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

Is it even really that big improvement over the Pegasos?

It is an improvement over the Pegasos2 and it solves having to own so many different computers, with the option to dual boot MorphOS2.x and MacOSX, when there are needs that cannot be accomplished on MOS2.x, a simple reboot will get you to a mainstream OS that has programs for almost anything you need to do.

I am also a Mac user, so I am prejudiced in this regard, but think many would want the same as me. I hope that MorphOS2.x can soon run on ALL PPC Macs so I can run it from my G4 PowerBook and easily take MOS2.x everywhere I go.

Until then, my Efika will have to do, as used Pegasos2's are very hard to find and a bit expensive for what you get. (just like Macs :lol: )
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.09.08 - 08:15
    hooligan
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Amount of the Pegasos2 systems is pretty limited in da world :) It surely is BIG improvement when the only more obtainable option is EFIKA.

And MacMinis are that powerful level computers, that they will be enough for long time. Like on PC world, 1.5GHz computers are still fine for most things even with their way too bloated OS'es, not everyone are rushing after latest stuff because it's just latest. Or at least there isn't real reasons for that.

Actually I was speaking purely from technical aspect when comparing Macmini and the Pegasos, not availability.
    But you are right, of course its a major step up... opposite of not having a chance to buy hardware, you could buy hardware from fleamarket and ebay, woohoo.
  • »17.09.08 - 10:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    My Peg2's CPU module died and my Peg1's seems to be dieing from non-use. (I don't know if it's the powersupply but it requires about 15 minutes of switching off and on to get it to work?)

I'm limited to my efika. That said, I do have a nice PowerMac Cube on my desk that isn't being used very much that I wouldn't mind running MOS on. :P
    Steph
  • »17.09.08 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    dake
    The opportunity to have a laptop that runs MorphOS is very nice.
  • »17.09.08 - 17:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I am also a Mac user, so I am prejudiced in this regard, but think many would want the same as me. I hope that MorphOS2.x can soon run on ALL PPC Macs so I can run it from my G4 PowerBook and easily take MOS2.x everywhere I go.

Don't have too high expectations that MOS will run on every ppc based maschine made by Apple - chances for those devices coming with a gfx card that is supported by MorphOS supported are good though (that is Mac mini a handful of iBooks and IIRC some Powerbooks - but definitely *not all* Macs).
    And I rather keeep my hopes on some new 8610 based device. The 8610 roxx!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.09.08 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Don't have too high expectations that MOS will run on every ppc based maschine made by Apple - chances for those devices coming with a gfx card that is supported by MorphOS supported are good though (that is Mac mini a handful of iBooks and IIRC some Powerbooks - but definitely *not all* Macs).
    And I rather keeep my hopes on some new 8610 based device. The 8610 roxx!

I know better than to have high expectations, I am after-all an "Amiga User" and I know that having MOS3.x running on my G4 PowerBook will only take "two more weeks". :lol:

I am just glad to read that it is being worked on, and unless the screen shot that Piru showed on A.org is a hoax and a joke, I bet we will see MOS3.x on a Mac PPC computer long before we see AOS4.1 on any Mac PPC.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.09.08 - 10:32
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Painkiller
    Pretty intresting things happening in Amiga scene right now, MOS to be released for Mac Mini and amigakit taking pre-orders for AOS 4.1 + SAM440 bundle :) Finally some progress after many years of silence.

I wonder what will happen if Hyperion wins the court case against AssInc. or what will happen to them if they lose.

Will there be cooperation between MOS team and Hyperion if Hyperion wins its case against AssInc. etc. I sure hope so.

[ Edited by Painkiller on 2008/9/19 10:11 ]
  • »18.09.08 - 11:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    of course its an improvement over any Pegasos..

Its available for purchase and its cheaper.. LOL
  • »19.09.08 - 00:22
    Profile Visit Website