MorphOS 2.0 license, what is what?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    So you download the installer and it net installs a demo version? You then use the demo version to pay for registration?

Is that right? If so, what happens? Do you get an old school keyfile? Can this keyfile be backed up in case the hard drive goes south? Does 2.0 "call home" like XP up? Can 2.0 be installed offline without the web installer providing your own keyfile?

I am considering buying 2.0 for myself in the near future and the cost, while high, will probably not be a road block. However, what I am hearing about the license scheme is concerning. I'd like clarification.
  • »07.07.08 - 03:32
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @redrumloa
    Quote:

So you download the installer and it net installs a demo version?

Yup, you can do that. After booting the installer environment, and running the installation wizard, you can choose to download an ISO image to be used for the installation, or you can select an ISO image stored on a drive somewhere. Or you can use an unpacked ISO image (like, on a CD-ROM).

Quote:

You then use the demo version to pay for registration? Is that right?

Yup, there's a program called RegTool which initiates the registration.

Quote:

If so, what happens?

After completing registration, you'll be sent an e-mail directing you to a payment processor (PayPal, IIRC).

Quote:

Do you get an old school keyfile?

After paying, you'll be sent an activation key file (within 12-48 hours, IIRC).

Quote:

Can this keyfile be backed up in case the hard drive goes south?

You can back up this key file as often as you like. To use it, you simply copy it to the DEVS: drawer and reboot.

Quote:

Does 2.0 "call home" like XP up?

Probably not.

Quote:

Can 2.0 be installed offline without the web installer providing your own keyfile?

AFAIK, no. RegTool requires an internet connection.
    You can install 2.0 offline, but at some point you have to run RegTool.
    If you already have a license for that mainboard, you can use that.

The license is bound to the mainboard. You need to contact MorphOS Support to transfer the license to another mainboard, if needed. Also the MorphOS Team reserved the right to withdraw that service at any time; in that case ONLY, if the board breaks, the license is useless.

Quote:

I am considering buying 2.0 for myself in the near future and the cost, while high, will probably not be a road block. However, what I am hearing about the license scheme is concerning. I'd like clarification.

Hope that helped! :-)

[ Edited by voyager2007 on 2008/7/7 5:23 ]
  • »07.07.08 - 04:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    hey redrumloa

Good to see you on mz and still in the community. :)

I registered and my keyfile was sent same day. It is sent to my email and all you do is copy the file over to Devs:

So you dont need to be online to install morphos, however you DO need to be online to run Reg Tool which tell morphos team what board its running on (this can be construed as "copy protection")

If I were you i'd buy now before the 15th! :) Euros are complaining about $111 but if they were American they would really get out the tissues LOL
    :lol:
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »07.07.08 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    keropi
    well, as I understood the keyfile is bounded to the motherboard, so unless you have a pegasos/efika to use there is no way to get a keyfile for the future...
    also this makes pirating completelly uselles, a clever way :-)

[ Edited by keropi on 2008/7/7 20:02 ]
    A4000D CS-PPC/G-Rex4000D
    A4000D CS-PPC/Zorro
  • »07.07.08 - 18:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Thanks for the responses :-) I am a bit concerned with the answers, though I'd hate to sound like I'm complaining. I understand the idea they want to limit piracy, but this is hard on paying customers. What if the MOS developers walk away tomorrow and you need to reinstall for some reason, like changing the hard drive? What if I put the system away for 10 years and come back, needing to reinstall?
  • »07.07.08 - 22:54
    guruman
    The death of an HD shouldn't be much of a problem: you can make as many backup copies of your key as you want.
    Death of the motherboard will be a problem, since each key is bound to one MoBo. Transfer of the key from one dead HW to a new solution will be dealt by the team on a case by case basis. Hopefully they will be around for long: they have been here for the last nine years (MorphOS is (C) 1999-2008) without earning much money, they shouldn't leave us fast! Moreover, they still have fun making MorphOS, as far as I understand.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »07.07.08 - 23:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    redrumloa

Are you drinking over there? :)

Listen you can INSTALL and RUN Morphos2 NO PROBLEM on EFIKA or Peg1/2. Its just REGISTERING that requires you to be online. If you dont register you can FULLY USE MORPHOS2 it just times out after 30mins..

is that clear? what is the issue?

I'm sure if your machine dies for good that the mos team would allow you to xfer the license to another box in this special circumstance.

[ Edited by magnetic on 2008/7/7 20:01 ]
  • »08.07.08 - 01:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    good question James.. I'd like to know if MOS2 calls home also.
  • »08.07.08 - 05:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Charvel
    Cant hold it anymore...
    What do you mean with "calls home" ?
  • »08.07.08 - 05:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    ET Phone Home and please bring Magic M to whatever fcking planet you come from.
  • »08.07.08 - 05:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    meaning does MOS2.x when connected to the internet send any sort of information from your system to MOS devel team or anyone at all. Before or after registration.

magnetic:
    are you always this annoying? dont you have more customers to scam or did your "shop" go out of business already?

[ Edited by TheMagicM on 2008/7/7 23:27 ]
  • »08.07.08 - 05:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Listen you troll take it PM if you want to talk sh8t or better yet come to me in person.

And here you go again stirring up sh8t - yeah morphos2 has spyware that reports all your habits straight to Darth Vader. WAKE UP. Yes, when you register info about your machine is sent to mos team, this is for copy protection. That is all. Simple enough for you? Or will you continue to make ill informed idiotic remarks?

[ Edited by magnetic on 2008/7/8 0:44 ]
  • »08.07.08 - 05:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Does 2.0 "call home" like XP up? Can 2.0 be installed offline without the web installer providing your own keyfile?

MorphOS itself does NOT "call home". The registration tool is the only place in which, after your own approval, any data is transferred to us.

2.0 can obviously be installed offline. You only need to bring it online to use the registration tool - once. After you got the keyfile there's no need to do that anymore. You can install and use it offline (but what's the point to be offline these days? :)
  • »08.07.08 - 06:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

MorphOS itself does NOT "call home". The registration tool is the only place in which, after your own approval, any data is transferred to us.

Understood. Thanks for the information. Perhaps some people would like it posted in the very nice help desk document.

Quote:

2.0 can obviously be installed offline.

But not registered. It's a pity, because the registration is not hidden in some obscure place, it's a nice little single file, very easy to keep safe (as it is so expensive :-) )

Quote:

but what's the point to be offline these days?

I am. I don't have internet at home. Jacek, really, is it impossible for a customer to email you a MAC address, and have a registration file for it in return? That would make me very happy. Otherwise, I'd have to take my beloved Pegasos to a cybercafe...
    Well, If I'm the only offline MorphOS lover out there, then it's very understandable.

Also, I don't understand why MorphOS team doesn't want to reduce price for volume sales. Everybody does it, it's a basic rule for business.
    One of the reasons I red about this is that, in this case, the team wouldn't know for sure if all those computers belong to a single person. But I fail to see why you would care about it! You don't like groups of people joining and buying you product in volume?
    I realize that, if there's some kind of price change in the horizon, you would NOT tell anybody. Announcing price reductions after sales have started only hurts the "market" (ahem). People who paid full price would get angry. Or perhaps you could think about some reward for these "pioneer" customers.

MorphOS 2.0 price is very high, and, worse of all, it's imposed. People outside our little world will have a very negative impression, and won't bother to check the quality of your product. MorphOS will gain a reputation of "ridiculously expensive toy". That's a shame, because it's a very clever system, and that's the fame it deserves. I'm delaying my purchase, and that hurts me, because I'd like to see you all getting the reward you deserve. But I don't have the bloody money required.
    Perhaps you don't care for this either. But having a good public image is not bad, and it even doesn't have to eat up a lot of resources from you. Things are much better now than they used to be, let's make the wave higher!

Please consider.
  • »08.07.08 - 08:03
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Does 2.0 "call home" like XP up? Can 2.0 be installed offline without the web installer providing your own keyfile?

Guess its not really "calling home" but IIRC I saw a Poseidon error message "Could not reach www.platon42.de" (sth like that ... Not at home to check ;) ) ... and Poseidon is part of MorphOS ;)
  • »08.07.08 - 10:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    keropi
    poseidon does an online check for updates... no worries , and it can be disabled in trident prefs.
    A4000D CS-PPC/G-Rex4000D
    A4000D CS-PPC/Zorro
  • »08.07.08 - 10:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    Quote:

keropi wrote:
    poseidon does an online check for updates... no worries , and it can be disabled in trident prefs.

and I like it, and will not disable it ... thought my smilies
    would show that ... I'm not worried at all :P
  • »08.07.08 - 12:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MrZoon
    Quote:

magnetic:
    are you always this annoying? dont you have more customers to scam or did your "shop" go out of business already?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA rotflmao -- :) IWTBTWLTMAHHA
    MrZoon ~8
  • »11.08.08 - 14:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    @magnetic
    Quote:

this can be construed as "copy protection"

Sound very much like a dongle wouldn't you say? :-P
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »12.08.08 - 04:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

ssolie wrote:
    @magnetic
    Quote:

this can be construed as "copy protection"

Sound very much like a dongle wouldn't you say? :-P

Hi ssolie! Welcome to MorphZone! :lol:
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »12.08.08 - 05:17
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    ET Phone Home and please bring [insert name] to whatever fcking planet you come from.

There should have been a sequel to ET! :lol:
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »12.08.08 - 05:20
    Golem
    @ssolie

Cute, I'm looking up definitions of dongle, and no, that doesn't seem to be it, looking up trolling seems to get some hits though, anything else you want to add while you're at it?
  • »12.08.08 - 05:34
    Profile Visit Website