MOS newbie
  • Just looking around
    finally got my lazy arse to install MOS on my bppc setup and whoa baby ! it looks better than I imagined !

unfortunately I'm not well versed with mos manners, so I'ld appreciate some help setting up this baby. First, I'ld like to get my IBrowse running (If possible). I got miamidx running and completed the registration, so next step is to download the key file which will probably arrive at my gmail. IBrowse bitches though because of lack of some mui classes. now, where do these go ? I couldn't find a mui installation in the mos directory. but curiously enough there's a directory called classes. I'ld also appreciate some tips from you guys about certain newbie tips. Like what do you use at mos instead of dopus ? any nice mod players/trackers ? I have miami but will I do better with mosnet ? what about browsers ? I heard about sputnik, but is it ready yet ?

many thanks in advance ...
  • »31.10.07 - 02:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    IBrowse should run fine, it will need a few additional mui classes which you usually can find on the aminet. They must be copied to SYS:Classes/MUI thats all. Make sure u don't install classes there which already exists in sys:morphos/classes/mui. Some versions of MUI can get a bit confused by this (especially if u have duplicate MCPs installed).

About MiamiDX.. I have no idea if the registration will work. As far I know no keys are given out since years. If you have a keyfile on your 68k installation u simply can copy it over directly into the miami directory.

For dopus.. most ppl probably use a new Ambient CVS build (carefully.. this also requires new beta MUI4, which some ppl reported to be too bloaty on powerup because the debug stuff) or Shell. I personally use Filer (a tool from the Aminet CDs), but many people also use Dopus4 very normally.

For the musical support I can recommend AmiNetRadio.. it comes with all kind of players already. If you need support for many classic module formats you can use UADE.. which is shell based but very easy and comfortable to use still.

I have no idea about MosNET... I'm personally happy with MiamiDX and have no problems with it.

Browsers.. well.. Sputnik is realtively usable already I heard. I personally still use IBrowse most of the time on MorphOS (else I prefer Safari on my OSX box). If you install Sputnik note it also requires the above mentioned beta MUI4.

regards,
    tokai
  • »31.10.07 - 02:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    hmm where can I find mui 4 beta and latest ambient snapshots ?

edit : ok I found them after some forum strolling ... here and here ?

[ Edited by coze on 2007/11/2 2:37 ]
  • »01.11.07 - 17:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Rather try http://www.ambient-desktop.org/
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »01.11.07 - 21:57
    Stevo
    heh, I should check before replying ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »02.11.07 - 07:55
  • Just looking around
    ok, where should mui4 and ambient be installed ? SYS: or MOSSYS: ?
  • »02.11.07 - 12:19
    Golem
    MUI4 and Ambient should both be installed to MOSSYS:, the documentation for both covers this.
  • »02.11.07 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    scv36
    Replace Clock.mcc from older Mui4 package and good is...
    PegasosII G4 1000 MHZ 512 MB Ram ATI Radeon 9250 80 GB DVD-Brenner Mos 1.4.5
  • »02.11.07 - 16:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > About MiamiDX.. [...] As far I know no keys are given out since years.

According to Cammy, "Miami DX is free now and the keyfile was provided to the community":

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=659293

I don't know how long this has been the case, though.

Edit:

There're also opposing statements:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=659353

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 15.09.2011 - 08:07 ]
  • »14.09.11 - 14:29
    Miky060
    Why to resuscitate a 2007 thread!? :-?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »15.09.11 - 00:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Why to resuscitate a 2007 thread!?

Because I'm referring to something that was said in this thread, as can be seen by the quote in the first line of my posting. And secondly, MorphOS on PowerUP users (see subforum title) still don't have NetStack and must rely on 3rd party stacks like Miami(DX) or MOSNet, so it's still relevant.
  • »15.09.11 - 06:16
    analogkid
    > Why to resuscitate a 2007 thread!?

And more important, to satisfy Andreas' urgent need to throw some links around.

[ Edited by analogkid 15.09.2011 - 06:30 ]
  • »15.09.11 - 06:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Andreas' urgent need to throw some links around

Claiming someone said something on the Web without providing a link to where it was said would be rather pointless, don't you think?
  • »15.09.11 - 07:09