I was wondering ...
    Which OS you think is the BEST ?

..well ???
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »06.06.07 - 13:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    What's the use of this? Are we so bored yet?
  • »06.06.07 - 13:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    cause i see a lot more progress on BeOS than here...
    and i was wondering where are you people ?
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »06.06.07 - 14:26
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    If you enter a mosque and a church and ask the people in both places wich one is "best" of "the christian" G*d and *ll*h, do you really think you would get a surprising or enlightening answer in either of the camps?

And please, do not even think of discussing the question above, it was just an example.
  • »06.06.07 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    @ liquidbit

What progress on BeOS? BeOS is discontinued since....how many years? And Zeta is dead too.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »06.06.07 - 16:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Duff
    Hi i was goin to post a thread close to this one about beos and mos. You cant really ask which one is best on here your on morphos forum LOL.
    Ive been commin to this site every day for the last 4 months hoping some new hardware comes out that runs morphos still waiting id rather use it over OS4 looks a nice Os.
    Beos is dead but theres a open source project getting closer and closer and runs on x86 hardware its a rewrite of beos from stratch which end up being better fixing some the probelms beos had heres the link http://haiku-os.org/ :).
    Also i think If you compare Beos Max4 Beta1 which came out 3 months back its proberly more advance than Mos you even have the lastest firefox on it and bebits.com has tons of apps and software just like aminet.
    Beos Is the closet thing i ever used that felt clean and nice to use like amiga os did without having to buy over priced powerpc hardware and some areas of the OS nicer to use than amiga os.

:-o

[ Edited by Duff on 2007/6/7 14:59 ]
  • »07.06.07 - 03:57
  • Just looking around
    Duff
    Dont get me wrong though i would love to try MOS thats why i come here every day without even trying this OS yet i cant be bothered with os4 and all the amiga inc bullshit goin on. Id buy a efika tomorrow if MOS 2.0 came out and hope something more powerfull comes out in the future after that.
    Sucks waiting and not hearing anything from the MOS TEAM you ask me all these companys Amiga OS and MorphOS dont have a f$#king clue about marketing there product look how huge the fans base is.
    I sold my amiga 500+ back in 1997 loved that computer got a cheap amiga 1200 for $10nz couple years back.
    Its a gold mine really someone just needs to get there act together id buy one just like that!
    Cant stand windows or mac osx and linux isnt a desktop os more a bloatware server Beos only OS i see worth getting for the x86 hardware.
  • »07.06.07 - 04:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

DJBase wrote:
    What progress on BeOS? BeOS is discontinued since....how many years? And Zeta is dead too.

That it may be, but Haiku certainly isn't. It's alive and well.

Fact is, BeOS/Haiku has several things MorphOS doesn't:

[list]Interface consistency across applications[/list]
    [list]Drivers[/list]
    [list]Memory protection[/list]
    [list]Support for multi-user capabilities in future (Zeta has it, Haiku doesn't have it planned for R1)[/list]
    [list]Support for cheap and easily available hardware[/list]
    [list]Firefox: stable and opensource![/list]

MorphOS has AmigaOS 3.1 (and more) compatibility, but as yet lacks memory protection.

In common, though, they both use really old compiler versions!
  • »07.06.07 - 14:16
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    it seems that Morphos always need a evil OS to fight with (one that is not enough big for not fail in the fight).Now that AmigaOS is in the limbo you are searching for new candidates, and you find Beos, isn?t you? :-P

[ Edited by Fransexy on 2007/6/7 16:22 ]
  • »07.06.07 - 16:21
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
    it seems that Morphos always need a evil OS to fight with (one that is not enough big for not fail in the fight).Now that AmigaOS is in the limbo you are searching for new candidates, and you find Beos, isn?t you? :-P

BeOS doesn't need or deserve enemies :-)
  • »07.06.07 - 19:38
  • Just looking around
    Duff
    BeOS doesn't need or deserve enemies nine your right there :)

BeOS and MorphOS are both really good OS's why would you wanna have them as enemies doesnt make sense!.
    You guys who havent tryed BeOS should give it ago i think theres a PPC version around somewere :).
    I am goin to install BeOS Max4 on my pc intill haiku comes out then use that and hopefully get MOS2.0 when it comes out for a efika :)
  • »08.06.07 - 13:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    [quoteMorphOS has AmigaOS 3.1 (and more) compatibility, but as yet lacks memory protection.

Don't you mean "and becouse of that" instead of "but"?

Although the fact is that MorphOS DOES have FULL memory protection, but obviously that just protects the whole "Amiga compatibility layer" from anything (currently practically nothing) running outside it and vice versa, it definitely isn't of much use currently :-)
  • »08.06.07 - 14:58
    Profile Visit Website
    • Cocoon
      Cocoon
      nine
      Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
      Although the fact is that MorphOS DOES have FULL memory protection, but obviously that just protects the whole "Amiga compatibility layer" from anything (currently practically nothing) running outside it and vice versa, it definitely isn't of much use currently :-)

Wasn't it planned for (as of unyet implemented) QBox? I don't think it has it otherwise.

That was my understanding of the matter.
    • »08.06.07 - 17:25
    • MorphOS Developer
      itix
      Quote:

Wasn't it planned for (as of unyet implemented) QBox? I don't think it has it otherwise.

Uhm, what QBox? And why Amigans keep repeating this nonsense?

There is ABox that runs under Quark microkernel. Quark can have memory protection but it does not help software crashing in ABox.

To put it simple if you want Amiga OS compatibility you cant have memory protection in the same sandbox.

There is no point in "QBox". To have full MP in programs they must be isolated from each others.
      1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
    • »08.06.07 - 22:43
    • Cocoon
      Cocoon
      nine
      Quote:

itix wrote:
      Uhm, what QBox? And why Amigans keep repeating this nonsense?

Whoah! Chill out. I'm reflecting what I've read.

Remember, I came to MorphOS late (last year, in fact). After I ditched using AmigaOS I went straight to Linux, many moons ago. It's still my primary focus. But I only know what I've read about MorphOS. You can't shoot someone for repeating what they've read.

Quote:

There is ABox that runs under Quark microkernel. Quark can have memory protection but it does not help software crashing in ABox.

To put it simple if you want Amiga OS compatibility you cant have memory protection in the same sandbox.

There is no point in "QBox". To have full MP in programs they must be isolated from each others.

Okay, well I got the concept of QBox from the aged (take note of this word :-)) page here. My understanding was that apps to run under QBox's API would use Quark's memory protection. But for obvious (historical) reasons, ABox can't.

That's my understanding of the matter. Nothing more.

Whether the roadmap has changed, I don't know. morphos-team keep their cards close to their chest, so I gather.
    • »08.06.07 - 23:49
    • MorphOS Developer
      CISC
      Quote:

Whoah! Chill out. I'm reflecting what I've read.

Relax, itix's answer is not as harsh at it seems to be... ;) From a developer's point of view it can just be a little frustrating when users (through no real fault of their own) keep chanting some mantra they don't really know the implications of .. many have been slightly obsessing about a fabled QBox without really knowing what it means, mainly just thinking it would be ABox+MP.

Anyway, you could sort of say there is a QBox already, it's just not very populated (there are some critical tasks running (fully memory protected) alongside the Quark kernel), but this is not something a user should, or need reflect upon, and it doesn't really have an impact on the future of ABox.

Let's just say there is little point in talking about QBox today, since whatever it may or may not consist of now or in the near future will have little long-term significance for users, and very little short-term significance for developers...

- CISC
    • »09.06.07 - 00:49
    • Just looking around
      Duff
      Hahaha i am not here to be an amigan and course trouble. I would love a computer than ran os4 or mos but intill the day it works on hardware iam out of luck. All iam saying is BeOS is a great os i used it back in 2000 intill they went out bizz its a OS i dig just like amiga OS hopefully MOS soon 2.
      Everyone should take it easy i dont get why amiga and mos wont to make enmies with each other everyone should get along or try 2 maybe even give BeOS a chance before you judge.
    • »09.06.07 - 03:21
    • News Moderator
      News Moderator
      Darth_X
      Quote:

CISC wrote:

many have been slightly obsessing about a fabled QBox without really knowing what it means, mainly just thinking it would be ABox+MP.

- CISC

ABox development should be dropped completely and the focus should be put on Qbox! :hammer: :-D
      When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
      then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
    • »09.06.07 - 06:26
    • MorphOS Developer
      itix
      Quote:

ABox development should be dropped completely and the focus should be put on Qbox!

I agree ;-)

Seriously though, improving ABox is less work and more fun. Existing apps run there and existing developers know its API inside out.
      1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
    • »09.06.07 - 09:20
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Genesi
      BeOS has no future. Is there a choice? :-D
    • »09.06.07 - 18:35
      Profile Visit Website
    • Cocoon
      Cocoon
      nine
      Quote:

Genesi wrote:
      BeOS has no future. Is there a choice? :-D

That's debatable. Haiku has a future. BeOS/Zeta does, if it's every commercially revived.

(Again)

[ Edited by nine on 2007/6/9 23:48 ]
    • »10.06.07 - 00:48
    • Just looking around
      Duff
      People see Haiku as being BeOS's future soon it will be the successor of beos with many improvements added to it. Its OPENSOURCE thats the only way to go these days we dont have to keep waiting for broken promises from companys like amiga inc its in the hands of the people all around the world.

Haiku is on the x86 platform many user's are goin to try it and old users will come back for sure. Problem with MOS and OS4 no HARDWARE!

If some new hardware comes out after the efika iam sure MOS will survive but it wont do forever. People wont hardware to run MOS on not run linux buy a cheap x86 box for linux.

Also can anyone answer why MorhOS Team dont even have a news page or some kinda way letting us know whats happening? Its Crazy !

[ Edited by Duff on 2007/6/10 12:27 ]
    • »10.06.07 - 01:22
    • News Moderator
      News Moderator
      Darth_X
      Quote:

Duff wrote:
      Also can anyone answer why MorhOS Team dont even have a news page or some kinda way letting us know whats happening? Its Crazy !

http://www.morphos-team.net/news.html
      When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
      then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
    • »10.06.07 - 04:28
      Golem
      Quote:

But I don't see a release date for 2.0 on that page.
    • »10.06.07 - 11:40
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      mobydick
      Quote:

Darth_X wrote:
      Quote:

Duff wrote:

Ha-ha... Nice joke. I like Amiga world for original humor.
      Pegasos II/G4@1GHz, 1 GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9
      Efika MX Smartbook, Ubuntu 12.04
      peguser.narod.ru
    • »10.06.07 - 11:40
      Profile Visit Website