newbee need help
  • Just looking around
    hi guys,

i try to install debian sice a long time on a peg1.
    i download sven luthers cd iso. i follow the readme but all what i got is nothing. can anybody help me?
    thx ron
  • »21.05.07 - 14:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    This site is specialzed in MorphOS. That doesn't mean you won't find help here (there's a lot of highly talented people here), but be sure to ask for it also at Power Developer site.
  • »21.05.07 - 15:32
  • Just looking around
    cheers, i will try it again

ron :pint:
  • »21.05.07 - 17:57
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Can you be more exact? What did you do and what's the point where you won't get anything? :)

I just re-installed Debian on Peg1 from Sven's old install cd. I got some new problems, but got around them. Not sure if there would be updated cd...

I'll give some points anyway. To boot from installation cd type in open firmware: boot /pci/ide/cd pegasos1.;1
    You can also add some options like video=radeon:1024x768@70 or mem=256M (if you have more than 256M and having problems with copying files for example).

I had problems getting display with DVI-cable on my TFT-monitor... didn't have patience to try all different display settings, but it seemed to work fine with SVGA-cable. After successful installation the DVI works again...

Second problem was with installing base system. CD had apt source setted to "testing", which doesn't seem to work here anymore. When you have to choose source for files, I chose to edit list myself and typed there sources for "sarge" instead of "testing".

You might also want to update kernel and newer kernels might be too big for Peg1 by default... take bit older or compile yourself or something like that ;)

If X11 gives troubles with Radeon, check /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and comment out the Load "dri" line...
  • »21.05.07 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    hi jPV,

so there?s the rub is following, i can boot sven?s iso, it starts fine with my options mem=256 etc. all is fine until the point alt-f2 -> dostype etc. . then in fourth point in sven?s readmefile say?s i should write "mount -t etc" but OF say?s me 2 blocks reserved. i thing here is a block in me, maybe i thing to illogical. i dont know what is wrong i make everything like this readme adapted on my partion. but it does?nt works :idea: -> :hammer:
  • »22.05.07 - 01:37
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    That's mainly if you're going to install Linux as only system on your Peg. If you have already MOS installed, then you have required FFS partition already and you can skip that fourth point. You only need to get Linux kernel image on that FFS partition to be able boot it. You can either mount linux partition from MOS with ext2filesystem and copy the file from MOS side or you can mount FFS partition from Linux and cp the file from there. For example if your FFS partition is the first partition on primary master HD, then you should be able to mount it with "mount -t affs /dev/hda1 /mnt/bootimages" (make that bootimages dir first). And that should be done in Linux, not in OF then ;)
  • »22.05.07 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    hi jPV

thx for helping. i got do anything what you wrote but it does'nt works :-?
    you wrote:"You can either mount linux partition from MOS..." how can i realise it? did i need or must i used a prog. like filemanager with a option to mount it?

jerom
  • »23.06.07 - 18:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Hi Jerom,

You'll need GiggleDisk to create a mountlist for your Linux partition and ext2fs an Ext2 filesystem driver for MOS.

In short; create a mountlist with GiggleDisk install the ext2 driver in L: and put the mountlist in Sys:Devs/Dosdrivers. Now you are able to read and write to your ext2/3 partitions in MOS, it'll show up on your desktop like a normal drive.

~toto

[ Edited by Toto on 2007/6/23 19:05 ]
  • »23.06.07 - 19:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Here's an example mountlist which I used on my system when I had Linux installed:

/*
    ** DosDriver automatically created by GiggleDisk
    ** GiggleDisk (c)2005 Guido Mersmann
    */

FileSystem = L:EXT2FileSystem
    Device = ide.device
    Unit = 1
    BlockSize = 512
    Surfaces = 1
    SectorsPerBlock = 1
    BlocksPerTrack = 9771
    Reserved = 2
    PreAlloc = 0
    Interleave = 0
    MaxTransfer = 0x7FFFFFFF
    Mask = 0xFFFFFFFF
    LowCyl = 1
    HighCyl = 4191
    Buffers = 256
    BufMemType = 0
    StackSize = 16384
    Priority = 0
    GlobVec = -1
    DosType = 0x4C4E5800
    Activate = 1
    /* Mount = 1 - MorphOS is not supporting this value */
    /* Bootable = FALSE */

Also add a project icon in sys:devs/dosdrivers with default tool c:mount and tooltypes:

device=ide.device
    unit=1 (or whatever your unit is, check with giggledisk)
    activate=1

Rename the mountlist created with GiggleDisk and icon to 'lnx0' and 'lnx0.info' or whatever you like and reboot or doubleclick on it.

BTW don't use this mountlist it wouldn't work on your system. Create one with GiggleDisk for your partition.

~toto
  • »23.06.07 - 19:31