Is Os4Emu dead?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    In the interview with The Aros Show Sonic said about Os4Emu:

| Instead of saying "Wow, they need our apps, it's good",
    | they started to implement anti-os4emu protection. The
    | project was closed under these conditions.

http://arosshow.blogspot.com/2007/03/hello-pavel-thank-you-for-doing.html

is this true?
  • »25.03.07 - 10:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

| Instead of saying "Wow, they need our apps, it's good",
    | they started to implement anti-os4emu protection.

is this true?

I hope not. But it sounds so irrational that it could very well be.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.03.07 - 10:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    weiseb
    Well the anti-os4emu part is true, at least according to the
    changelog

http://amigazeux.net/os4emu/hist.php

but this is the first time I heard that this made itix stop the development.
  • »25.03.07 - 11:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    Why stopping the development ? IIRC a screen grab of OS4Emu 2.0 was shown some time ago.

Itix can confirm if the development is stopped or not.
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »25.03.07 - 14:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Development is not stopped although I considered stopping it. New OS4 programs have OS4Emu check built-in (it is integrated to their new startup code) but my yet unreleased OS4Emu remedies this.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »25.03.07 - 15:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Anti OS4Emu code in apps? Now thats just childish! Do thes people hope to get the platform moving? OS4Emu is only a win win for both side. It lets us have more apps and gives the OS4 developers more users. Lame indeed!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »25.03.07 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    New OS4 programs have OS4Emu check built-in (it is integrated to their new startup code)

You must be pre-april fooling :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »25.03.07 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    The more they spend on paranoia instead of development, the more they will lag behind... It's a win-win situation for us. Keep it up!
  • »25.03.07 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Development is not stopped although I considered stopping it. New OS4 programs have OS4Emu check built-in (it is integrated to their new startup code) but my yet unreleased OS4Emu remedies this.

lol
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »25.03.07 - 18:16
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    my yet unreleased OS4Emu remedies this.

Nice to hear and I guess you will gain some new 'friends' by this...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.03.07 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

itix wrote:

How is it implemented? The protection, that is.

I'm interested to know if it is the choice of the app. developer to turn this on for a build, if it's a short block that they put into main(), or whether it's been crufted into the compiler or SDK somehow.

I'd like to think I could credit Hyperion with being professional enough not to take such a childish measure.

[ Edited by nine on 2007/3/26 10:55 ]
  • »26.03.07 - 11:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @nine

It is part of newlib startup code. It just compares ExecBase pointer (passed as 3rd parameter to _main()) to AbsExecBase pointer. If they dont match startup code quits silently. This works against current OS4Emu release because fake ExecBase is passed to _main().

There is no option to turn it off but this code is only part of OS4 SDK available to beta testers. OTOH old newlib startup code had OS4Emu check but it was easier to fix because it relied on OS calls.

It will be interesting to see if startup code changes to the final SDK.

CLIB2 startup code doesnt have such checks and it would be useless since CLIB2 is open source project.
  • »26.03.07 - 14:26
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

itix wrote:

There is no option to turn it off but this code is only part of OS4 SDK available to beta testers. OTOH old newlib startup code had OS4Emu check but it was easier to fix because it relied on OS calls.

It will be interesting to see if startup code changes to the final SDK.

CLIB2 startup code doesnt have such checks and it would be useless since CLIB2 is open source project.

Wow. Hyperion just went down in my estimation. Unless there's a really good reason for it.

[EDIT: removed part about newlib not being shared library, it is]

newlib is open source as well, isn't it? I think it's the BSD-licensed libc for embedded systems from Red Hat. http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/

[ Edited by nine on 2007/3/26 15:34 ]
  • »26.03.07 - 16:16
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Arkanoid
    I guess the good reason is that they have to eat and are banking on sales of os4/hardware for a little income? more people using os4emu, less sales i guess? which would be understandable.

if however it's some sort of childish rivalry game, then it truely is childish.
    Amiga A1200/Blizzard 060/SCSI-Kit/OS 3.9
    Pegasos II/G4/512 MB RAM/Radeon 7500/MorphOS
  • »26.03.07 - 19:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I guess the good reason is that they have to eat and are banking on sales of os4/hardware for a little income? more people using os4emu, less sales i guess? which would be understandable.

In any case, this is something, that should be left for programmers themselves to decide. It's sort of weird how that kind of stuff ends up in also (for example) GPL ports. Not that there aren't people, who did such OS checking GPL ports in the past.

Just curious, how hard would it be to remove such check from an OS4 exe? Few NOP's or JMP at right place might (or might not) do wonders. As it wouldn't be THAT much of an issue, if author at least had a choice about that...

[ Edited by Jupp3 on 2007/3/26 21:15 ]
  • »26.03.07 - 20:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @nine

Newlib.library itself is not problem. OS4Emu includes replacement for it. It is just startup code used in every newlib based program. It opens newlib.library, runs con/destructors and calls main().

I looked into BSD source code but newlib.library in OS4Emu is really libnix in disguise.
  • »26.03.07 - 23:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Just curious, how hard would it be to remove such check from an OS4 exe? Few NOP's or JMP at right place might (or might not) do wonders.

Without PPC assembly skills not possible at all. Real startup code is called indirectly and address is stored in variable so checking just branch instruction is not enough.
  • »26.03.07 - 23:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Itix do you have any plans to release the next version any time soon? It sound like it would be a nice update. Though I havent seen any new OS4 apps that I would want to run that we dont have a native version of on MorphOS latly.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »27.03.07 - 06:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Heh.. this is pretty comical. BTW. is there any OS4 program which anyone uses somehow regularly with OS4Emu? At least I don't use any... just have tried couple for curiosity. Vice was the only one I've started more than one time, but now there's good MOS port of it too, so it got obsolete :)
  • »27.03.07 - 09:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mdma
    Demo's are the main things i've used it for.
  • »27.03.07 - 09:23
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

Arkanoid wrote:

True, but it is an anti-competitive measure to prevent software from working on another operating system. Microsoft have been battered around the head for such behaviour.

Quote:

if however it's some sort of childish rivalry game, then it truely is childish.

This is what I'm afraid of, and what I hoped Hyperion would rise above.
  • »27.03.07 - 10:20
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Newlib.library itself is not problem. OS4Emu includes replacement for it. It is just startup code used in every newlib based program. It opens newlib.library, runs con/destructors and calls main().

Knowing very little about how the OS4 SDK builds these binaries, how is the code linked into the beginning of the executable? Is an object taken out of a newlib static archive and linked in, or is it part of the crt1.o object?
  • »27.03.07 - 10:22
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    I am using it quite often for the OS4 port of unrar because all MOS, WarpOS and 68k ports of unrar I tried did suck, causing system freezes or were only able to unpack one archive and then did not work anymore until I rebooted. After rebooting they worked again, but just for one single archive, so I had to reboot again... but the OS4 port works quite perfect.

Some time ago I used to use Mencoder OS4 port with os4emu until Fab released a more recent MOS port.
  • »27.03.07 - 12:49
    Golem
    Quote:

I am using it quite often for the OS4 port of unrar because all MOS, WarpOS and 68k ports of unrar I tried did suck

Tried this one?
  • »27.03.07 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website