CPU module repair?
  • Just looking around
    AmigaFF
    I've sadly fried my CPU somehow and I know that bplan no longer make new modules so should I throw my Peg2 that I bought three days ago (used system) on the dump? The cause of the fried CPU was because I did turn down the speed of the chassis fan. After that the computer hang I shout it off and put the fan back on full speed but after I put the power on nothing happend.
    Are there any company that can reapair CPU modules?

[ Edited by AmigaFF on 2007/3/20 16:25 ]
  • »20.03.07 - 15:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    i doubt pegasos is dependent of a chassis fan to operate,
    cpu module have its own heatsink and (crappy)fan.

Does the cpu fan still work ?
  • »20.03.07 - 15:31
  • Just looking around
    AmigaFF
    yes it does.
  • »20.03.07 - 15:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Did you try another power supply? Those can also go at any time, and then nothing will happen when you push the button. For tha matter, are all the wires still correctly and firmly inserted in the motherboard's pins? Don't give up yet!

Tronman!!!
  • »20.03.07 - 15:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    AmigaFF
    I'm mously sure that I fried the chip bacause I actualy used the system when it happend. The system hang and after a reboot it hang again so I put the fan back on full speed but after that It didnt boot at all.
  • »20.03.07 - 15:55
    Kronos
    To avoid misunderstandings, did you turn down the PSU-fan, or an extra fan for the chassis ?

I know there are tight cases, and that there is unpotimal airflow, but if a Peg survises with just CPU and PSU fans in an ODW it should do so in any other case.
  • »20.03.07 - 16:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Indeed, try everything you might think of before throwing that CPU module to the bin. It can be a faulty power supply, like mentioned here.
    As a side note, I (wishfully) thought that it wasn't so easy to burn a modern component like a PPC CPU. Doesn't it have any kind of thermal or current protection? Should it had been provided by the card itself? I really thought that modern components had shutdown systems when certain conditions are met.
  • »20.03.07 - 16:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

AmigaFF wrote:
    I'm mously sure that I fried the chip bacause I actualy used the system when it happend. The system hang and after a reboot it hang again so I put the fan back on full speed but after that It didnt boot at all.

You reduced the speed of the fan?

Were you monitoring the temperature of the CPU?
  • »20.03.07 - 16:25
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:
    Indeed, try everything you might think of before throwing that CPU module to the bin. It can be a faulty power supply, like mentioned here.
    As a side note, I (wishfully) thought that it wasn't so easy to burn a modern component like a PPC CPU. Doesn't it have any kind of thermal or current protection? Should it had been provided by the card itself? I really thought that modern components had shutdown systems when certain conditions are met.

CPU over temperature shutdown would be an active thing - something in software would have to be aware of it. I strongly suspect MorphOS has no task that monitors CPU temperature (at least, there's nothing in MOSSYS:C/ that does it).
  • »20.03.07 - 16:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Sorry to hear about this for the thread starter

1. There is no temp sensor in built in MOS but IIRC Amigazeux has a cpu temp tool..

2. There is no hw shutdown on the cpu card - if the fan dies the cpu will just get hotter until it fries (and it doesnt take long at all)

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.03.07 - 16:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    The CPU fries in the twinkling of an eye, did happend to me especially when you use dnetc client.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »20.03.07 - 18:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Yep
    I had a cpu catch fire when the fan failed.. not pretty. I now have my peg in a case with a CPU Temp sensor with lcd readout so I know if the cpu starts to go crazy hot the fan failed. I have also replaced the bplan heatsink/fan with a nice copper Vantec cooler. Highly recommended to do this.

magnetic

[ Edited by magnetic on 2007/3/20 13:15 ]
  • »20.03.07 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    bplan
    Dear AmigaFF,

just send us an email. Normally every CPU card can be repaired. We are not longer producing CPU cards, but repair or replacments if needed can be done.

Regards
    Thomas
  • »20.03.07 - 18:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    bplan

Great news and nice to see you post here!

magnetic
  • »20.03.07 - 20:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @bplan

That's great to hear, and a much needed statement for the rest of us Pegasos customers as well!

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »20.03.07 - 21:48
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Sorry to hear about this for the thread starter

1. There is no temp sensor in built in MOS but IIRC Amigazeux has a cpu temp tool..

Yeah, as I recall there's an 8-bit temperature register. I don't think it's implemented in all PPC cores though. It's been some 7 years since I read the PDFs on PowerPC assembly and my head is a little rusty.

For certain, the register wouldn't be accessible without software, so a hardware-based watchdog for temperature wouldn't be possible.
  • »21.03.07 - 12:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    The temperature sensor in MPC7447 is broken.
    It exists but it doesn't work. Otherwise we would
    all use it with Linux.
  • »21.03.07 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Quote:

AmigaFF wrote:
    I've sadly fried my CPU somehow and I know that bplan no longer make new modules so should I throw my Peg2 that I bought three days ago (used system) on the dump?

[...]

Are there any company that can reapair CPU modules?

I know that bPlan still repairs broken Pegasos machines. Ask them.

And perhaps, just for a matter of news, Here in Italy ACube, announced they will repair any AmigaONE CPU broken Modules.

http://www.acube-systems.com/eng/index.php

Quote:

02 Mar 2007 19:06:00 GMT+1

CPU Module Repair Service - price list
    Price estimations for the CPU repair service are now online on our site.

Yes I know they are the manufacturers of Samantha motherboard but sure it is interesting that they announced this repair service for the Amiga community.

I could ask if they have the intention to made such a service for Pegasos users too.
    Maybe this could be a good point to start hardware co-operation between AmigaONE side, and Pegasos side.

But certainly at ACube they must ask permission to bPlan to made repairs.

Sure, for me who I am italian, the fact to have a Pegasos repair center here in Italy this will be sure a bonus...

It is just a matter of co-operation between two firms in a small market...

And I hope both firms could agree to have a peaceful and friendly communication.

What do you all think about it?

May I ask to ACube if they are interested in keeping a repair center for Pegasos too?

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2007/3/22 8:30 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »22.03.07 - 07:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    - IMPORTANT UPDATE -

I contacted ACube representatives on about Pegasos repairs.

They think it is possible to realize Pegasos repairs also, together with AmigaOnes in their existing AmigaONE repairs facility! (Wooohooo!) :-)

They have no problems in supporting even repairs for Pegasos machines too, as long as bPlan/Genesi will be so kind to consider ACube as a professional repair center here in Italy and will include it in the number of their partners.

They are always enthusiast if they could start any professional partnership with bPlan/Genesi.

This fact could became a starting point and an opportunity to realize in the future other agreements with bPlan/Genesi regarding other projects.

For example I found interesting the fact that ACube it is producing Expansion Cards to upgrade AmigaONE old processors.
    Perhaps they could start to produce Expansion Cards to be mounted on existing Pegasos (But this is only a wishful thinking of mine who own a Pegasos II G3 600 MHz and I never reached in time enough money to afford G4 Expansion card).

Facts remains that at ACube are waiting any positive or negative comment from bPlan/Genesi here, on this sub-thread I started about these repairs...

(Sounds good!)

...They prefer to wait because even if they are interested in supporting Pegasos market, and they desire to take direct contacts to start any kind of agreement (or receive explicit permission to do repairs) just because (due to actual situation of Amiga market splitted in two parties) they don't want to force the situation in making any kind of move which could be considered offensive from side of bPlan/Genesi.

So bPlan/Genesi, now it is up to you.
    If you are interested, then contact ACube. They are awaiting for any serious agreement proposal.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2007/3/27 16:27 ]

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2007/3/27 16:28 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »27.03.07 - 16:23
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    @Raf

What do Acube think of you being their new PR guy? :-D
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »27.03.07 - 16:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    I just started this sub-thread on about off-sourcing Pegasos repairs due to a matter of curiosity when I spotted this thread on Pegasos repairs...

1) I contacted A-Cube for a matter of curiosity when I congratulated with them on about their agreement with Hyperion...

And now here I am just reporting what they said to me, and mainly what I sensed from the conversation...

(the fact they are looking for a contact but don't want to offend Genesi by overcoming situation)

2) And I reported also some personal considerations about the possible future...

(repairs -> production of new CPU modules)

I hope I was clear...

3) Consider me a sort of amabssador between two camps rather than a Public Relations Man just from only one side... :-)

-----

Spot the flower buds, and don't mind if they are roses or not...
    If they are truly roses they just will reveal themsleves when they will blossom! :-P

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2007/3/27 17:45 ]

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2007/3/27 18:03 ]
  • »27.03.07 - 17:12